Interersting Developments in Market #32

ColumbusNewsFan

I'm not sure if I told you these tow development in our market but here it goes.

Currently WCMH is on temporary set in the newsroom as they are replacing there FX Group set from about 2007.

Personally, that set did not age well and In light or WBNS and WSYX's set... it just made them look really bad. I hope the replacement is better that cramped set they had.

Speaking of Sinclair's WSYX/WTTE. As we all know Sinclair has been on a spending spree and that Has extended to The station they ACTUALLY own as well. WSYX has recently acquired a new news copter and Have expanded there Morning show to the weekend. This is the first time in a long time I can say WSYX wants to be competior in this market and It's shows.

Can't say the same about WCMH anymore with how it has done news recently

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of Sinclair's WSYX/WTTE. As we all know Sinclair has been on a spending spree and that Has extended to The station they ACTUALLY own as well. WSYX has recently acquired a new news copter and Have expanded there Morning show to the weekend. This is the first time in a long time I can say WSYX wants to be competior in this market and It's shows.

Holy sh*t, WSYX has a chopper now? Wow, shocking coming from Sinclair... Hopefully that means WOAI, KOMO, and KATU get to keep theirs...

Holy sh*t, WSYX has a chopper now? Wow, shocking coming from Sinclair... Hopefully that means WOAI, KOMO, and KATU get to keep theirs...

That was my thought exactly when I found out about that at the Jazz and Rib fest when talking with them.

I'll say this WSYX have become a player in Columbus news race in the last couple of years. in the morning it's between them and WBNS. WCMH with MG has gone belly up in the last few years with a list of things I can't even name.

And here's pics of the new copter in action.....

sky4_Felxy_500x333.jpg

sky1_FaEqI_500x333.jpg

wow, Sinclair's not messing around. And it actually has gyro cams, not a photog with a camera out the door. Looks good, not fond of the color scheme but hey, beggars can't be choosers.

What do they call it on the air, Sky 6? (WOAI calls their World Car Sky 4)

I could be shocked and be thrilled about this. But I'm not. In fact about it, I'm pissed.

I wonder if that was some of that capital came from their "M&A fund" to pay for that new helicopter for WSYX. And if it is, this doesn't make any sense at all. Because they should spent on money investing and putting effort into those stations they already had first, instead of going through this $3B buying spree of television stations in two years. If they bought this chopper two years ago, as they started this crazily buying spree with the Four Points Media, I would be a lot more happier. They probably was the only one without a chopper.

Those crazy loons in Maryland should've had a chopper for Channel 6 a long time ago, as soon as they had the capital to buy, and not two years later. Investing into the stations should be THE top priority and not just caring about just the revenue. And they've been in that market for how long? Almost three decades? This doesn't make any sense.

Not to be "that guy," but most stations do not actually purchase a helicopter. The only case I know of where a TV ownership group actually owns a helicopter is oddly enough in Oklahoma, where Griffin Communications is the registered owner/operator of KWTV's SkyNews 9 and KOTV's SkyNews 6 helicopters. It's insanely expensive to buy a chopper, and quite frankly, they cost a ton to keep gassed up and insure. In today's broadcasting landscape it doesn't make sense. I'm interested to learn how Griffin makes it work.

Typically a station signs a lease/operating agreement with a company like Helicopters Inc. to both lease an airframe and contract with a pilot to fly it, and I'm sure that's what is happening in Columbus. Typically they also include a bit more paint than what's currently on WSYX's bird, but that might be temporary. If someone can get a clearer picture of the chopper and get the N-number off of it, you can run it by the FAA registration database and find the owner in a few seconds (yay internet).

That being said, I don't recall a Sinclair station ever leasing a helicopter, so this is a small sign that they're investing a bit more in the stations they own. WSYX has always been a distant third in Columbus, but I have to say as an outsider it would appear as if they're committed to turning it into a real player in that market. I don't know, maybe I just like Bob Kendrick.

wow, Sinclair's not messing around. And it actually has gyro cams, not a photog with a camera out the door. Looks good, not fond of the color scheme but hey, beggars can't be choosers.

Do any TV stations have branded helicopters that don't have a nose-mounted camera in a gyro-stabilized gimbal? I'm not counting the ones they rent for a couple hours to shoot some video of a wildfire or flooding. Thankfully, I think it's pretty common these days.

That was my thought exactly when I found out about that at the Jazz and Rib fest when talking with them.

I'll say this WSYX have become a player in Columbus news race in the last couple of years. in the morning it's between them and WBNS. WCMH with MG has gone belly up in the last few years with a list of things I can't even name.

And here's pics of the new copter in action.....

sky4_Felxy_500x333.jpg

sky1_FaEqI_500x333.jpg

I have a bigger picture of Sky 6 for you.

1074962_10151297067589364_1336521826_o.jpg1072432_10151297067564364_1442060147_o.jpg1073282_10151297067454364_1004345594_o.jpg

Not to be "that guy," but most stations do not actually purchase a helicopter. The only case I know of where a TV ownership group actually owns a helicopter is oddly enough in Oklahoma, where Griffin Communications is the registered owner/operator of KWTV's SkyNews 9 and KOTV's SkyNews 6 helicopters. It's insanely expensive to buy a chopper, and quite frankly, they cost a ton to keep gassed up and insure. In today's broadcasting landscape it doesn't make sense. I'm interested to learn how Griffin makes it work.

Typically a station signs a lease/operating agreement with a company like Helicopters Inc. to both lease an airframe and contract with a pilot to fly it, and I'm sure that's what is happening in Columbus. Typically they also include a bit more paint than what's currently on WSYX's bird, but that might be temporary. If someone can get a clearer picture of the chopper and get the N-number off of it, you can run it by the FAA registration database and find the owner in a few seconds (yay internet).

That being said, I don't recall a Sinclair station ever leasing a helicopter, so this is a small sign that they're investing a bit more in the stations they own. WSYX has always been a distant third in Columbus, but I have to say as an outsider it would appear as if they're committed to turning it into a real player in that market. I don't know, maybe I just like Bob Kendrick.

Do any TV stations have branded helicopters that don't have a nose-mounted camera in a gyro-stabilized gimbal? I'm not counting the ones they rent for a couple hours to shoot some video of a wildfire or flooding. Thankfully, I think it's pretty common these days.

The tail number is N518Z; that aircraft is registered to Columbus-based Due North Aviation.

The tail number is N518Z; that aircraft is registered to Columbus-based Due North Aviation.

It looks they went with a local firm...

Raynie beat me to it.

Ladies and gentlemen, WTXL in Tallahasse:

514cad8e89872.preview-300.jpg

The helicopter is provided to them through a partnership with a local flight school...

Sky 6 has been missing since 1990, and made a come back 23 years later. Also alot going on at Dublin Rd in CMH...

Long time WSYX reporter Carol Luper will retire from WSYX on Friday after 24 yrs and being with WBNS 10 yrs being in the market for 30+yrs.

Marshall McPeak returns back to Columbus, but going over to WSYX to anchor AM News, so alot going on the Sinclair station, but their still in third place with Sinclair trying hard to become a player...

It looks they went with a local firm...

Raynie beat me to it.

The helicopter is provided to them through a partnership with a local flight school...

Surprised that WTXL would have a helicopter, since they are minnows in the Tallahassee market with WCTV the uber-dominant station...

I don't see it either, seems kind of useless to have a chopper if you can't feed live video.

"breaking news out of XXXX, which we'll bring you video of as soon as the chopper lands and we can feed back from the base microwave unit" Doesn't quite have the same urgency to it.

Perhaps these shots were taken as part of a promo before it was outfitted with a microwave link?

I'm somewhat surprised WSYX is going on their own for a chopper, to begin with. Here in Houston, KRIV/KPRC/KHOU share the expense for a bird from Central Helicopter Services, based out of Hobby Airport. Makes economic sense, because In reality, how many casual viewers are going to notice that station A and station B have the exact same shot on a story while Station C has a different angle (by operating a separate bird)?

As an aside, here's some quirks I've learned about our video sharing agreement for the chopper: KHOU has a 1-hour exclusive-use agreement on the chopper to film traffic shots during their 6am newscast, unless there is breaking news which is offered to the group. Each station can also request "private time" for the chopper to film something for their exclusive use, though I think there may be some new rules in place for that. One day about a year or so ago KHOU requested a "private time" window during the 5pm newscast to fly over a local elementary school to break the news that a teacher had been arrested for having a relationship with a student. Pissed off our assignment desk to no end, and I'm sure KPRC's too.

Interesting that WCMH is upgrading their set after only 6 years of use...I'm wondering if it could be sent down the chain to one of their other stations...

Compared with their other sets, aside from their bigger stations and WNCT, most of their stations have been on the same set since the early to mid 2000s. WKRG's is likely the most untouched, with them only adding a retractable LCD panel on a hydraulic platform and swapping out their center duratrans, while most of the other stations have overhauled their duratrans and graphic panels throughout. Maybe now this is the beginning of a long-needed overhaul of their sets, because they are BADLY needed!

WSMV in Nashville uses that same kind of helicopter as well, though I think they rent theirs out as opposed to leasing; however, they do have their station logo on the very back end of it (albeit, a very smallish logo compared to WTVF's helicopter).

I knew something was happening at WCMH, but I had no idea. I thought there would be no way they would be changing their set, which debuted in March 2008. They had too much blue in the duratrans and the rear projection I think never looked quite right.

I think WCMH and WSYX have a real chance to grow viewership from WBNS. I think 'BNS has been starting to tank in the morning and I think they can exploit some weakness in the evening lineup at 10TV.

Kinda surprised Marshall McPeek is returning but I think it's a good move for WSYX.

Don't complain about WCMH's set. It isn't too bad. You should've seen their previous set (and probably the motivator for MG to get a brand new set for WCMH) it was built in the early 90s for WAVE and was moved to WCMH around 2002 or 2003, since NBC got it dirt cheap. It was dated when they got it, it was dated when they tore it down.

I wonder if WCMH's set will be a hand me down for another MG station?

Archived