Interersting Developments in Market #32

ColumbusNewsFan

In the normal thinking I would agree, but Media General should have never dumped the NBC O&O-era logo at all. That log was actually pretty good compared to the crap they have now. The same thing can be said about WVTM and WNCN's logos because both of those logos are dull as well nowadays.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the normal thinking I would agree, but Media General should have never dumped the NBC O&O-era logo at all. That log was actually pretty good compared to the crap they have now. The same thing can be said about WVTM and WNCN's logos because both of those logos are dull as well nowadays.

I actually like their current logo.

You can have it because all of the MG-era logos of WVTM, WCMH, and WNCN look like crap to me. Luckily, WJAR still uses their NBC-era logo outside of news.

I always liked the NBC version of the WCMH logo as well.

200px-WCMH_NBC4.svg.pngWCMH_2002-2008_logo.jpg

Another good version is here:

Media General really uglied it up with all the goofy fonts they use ...

200px-Wmch_logo_former.jpg

I also like their current logo. Looks great on a mic flag.

I still don't like the "NBC" though.

hqdefault.jpg

All I can say about WCMH / NBC4 the station is in shambles and it been that way since Media General took over.

WCMH at one time had the best news in town. However I've always favored WSYX. WCMH had invested in the operations and talent and etc, but now WSYX and WBNS would love for those two fight it out for ratings battle. However WSYX has the Sinclair cookie cutter model, so they have their work cut out to compete with WBNS.

That probably ain't going to happen... I think they have had that branding for about a decade. However, there isn't really no variety in News branding outside of WBNS but even then it's 10TV News. The others go by Network (Channel #) News.

As much as people on this site Sinclair, WSYX is currently turning out a pretty damn good newscast on Dublin Rd.

For people outside of Columbus, this is how it breaks down.

WBNS: "Eyewitness News" format. Lately copying WSYX's recent changes. The market leader.

WSYX/WTTE: "Action News" On Your Side format. Taking all the good parts of WOIO's Action News format. Have actually improved over the last couple of years.

WCMH: More In depth news format but done on the cheap like MG can only do.The New set might be great but the latest graphics update makes WCMH looks cheap as hell! Gone down in quality in the last couple of years.

That probably ain't going to happen... I think they have had that branding for about a decade. However, there isn't really no variety in News branding outside of WBNS but even then it's 10TV News. The others go by Network (Channel #) News.

As much as people on this site Sinclair, WSYX is currently turning out a pretty damn good newscast on Dublin Rd.

For people outside of Columbus, this is how it breaks down.

WBNS: "Eyewitness News" format. Lately copying WSYX's recent changes. The market leader.

WSYX/WTTE: "Action News" On Your Side format. Taking all the good parts of WOIO's Action News format. Have actually improved over the last couple of years.

WCMH: More In depth news format but done on the cheap like MG can only do.The New set might be great but the latest graphics update makes WCMH looks cheap as hell! Gone down in quality in the last couple of years.

WBNS: Boring.

WSYX/WTTE/WWHO: Up and coming newscast. Easily the most interesting newscast in the market. Still has the best news set of all three stations.

WCMH: Fat, ugly and old. Ted Hart and Mike Bowersock are great reporters, but I get the sense that it's a bunch of has-beens over there. WCMH used to be the channel with the best looking babes (the ones with brains and talent that is) before NBC took over. What happened?

I disagree about their graphics. I think they are pretty good. Much better in blue than in the previous red version. I think a different font would look better, though.

EXIT QUESTION: Why does it seem like Columbus has/had so many gay weathercasters, or is this something you find all over the United States? Chris Bradley, Marshall McPeek, Dana Turtle come to mind, I know I'm missing a few others.

WBNS news was very boring like 30 years ago, but it has kept with with the trends, and it produces a quality newscast. It has the best news, but of course their audience is more skewed towards 50+ audience.

WSYX has struggled for years, but at every turn it has made some strides and some set backs. However I wouldn't say it the best newscast. It very cookie cutter, but there some parts where they've been aggressive. However their problem IMO their owners. The day Sinclair sells WSYX and just own WTTE/WWHO...WSYX would be in a better position to be back in #2

WCMH has fallen on hard times. I've said it before and will say it again. The station in shambles due to MG!

EXIT QUESTION: Why does it seem like Columbus has/had so many gay weathercasters, or is this something you find all over the United States? Chris Bradley, Marshall McPeek, Dana Turtle come to mind, I know I'm missing a few others.

Why does their sexual orientation matter? If they want to be gay that's their choice, but as long as they do a good job with their forecast, they should be allowed to forecast the weather on TV.

Why does their sexual orientation matter? If they want to be gay that's their choice, but as long as they do a good job with their forecast, they should be allowed to forecast the weather on TV.

When you're 1 or 2 percent of the population, if you see a higher proportion (10%) it's noticeable. Otherwise you are correct. There were a lot of snickers around here when Marshall McPeek moved to Key West, though.

WCMH has fallen on hard times. I've said it before and will say it again. The station in shambles due to MG!

NBC didn't do them very many favors, either. NBC bought a lot of equipment, but their eye for talent wasn't the best.

Outlet Broadcasting, however, was a first class operation.

NBC didn't do them very many favors, either. NBC bought a lot of equipment, but their eye for talent wasn't the best.

Outlet Broadcasting, however, was a first class operation.

Outlet didn't really invest into the operation until Doug & Mona left Cleveland and move that ratings needle up and challenge WBNS for the #1 spot. Then NBC prime got better and then all of a suddenly they starting batting a ten and beating 10. NBC beef up the staff spend some $$$ and was still able to capture #1 spots in AM/11pm and there was a brief period they won 6pm in 2005-2006 book. Towards the end NBC made alot of $$$ but sold the smaller NBC affiliates and were about to throw WTVJ to WPLG... (So happy that didn't happened)

Outlet didn't really invest into the operation until Doug & Mona left Cleveland and move that ratings needle up and challenge WBNS for the #1 spot.

Sure they did. They always had great equipment, they were never cheap on the technical side. They sold their other stations and kept only two because WCMH and WJAR always made gobs of money. (WCMH makes gobs of money for MG -#2 in Media General- and they also did for Avco.) They just couldn't get the anchors right, which is hard to do from a clean slate anyway, until they brought back Mona with her very talented hubby.

They never should have fired Hugh DeMoss (and Jerry Rasor). Not that he was the greatest, but they had a parade of absolute stiffs for a decade after they let him go. They would never have sunk to Number 3 if they had kept him around, even if only as news director. He had a very good eye for talent.

I'll admit, I always preferred WCMH's newscast, but lately it's become a shell of the NewsChannel 4 days. Watching photogs-turned-reporters Wainfor and Reitzel stutter through live shots is cringe-worthy. Adeola and Bashir are painfully bad. Marcus Thorpe is a solid reporter and Mike Bowersock looks pissed to be working most days. They need a [mostly] new reporting staff.

Additionally, they tried the new set update, and while it looks modern, the blue duratrans in the background/corner of the studio makes everything look rather dull.

• 3 months later...

Just saw a shot from "Sky 6" on a story they were doing about someone who fell through the ice in Powell. It looks like Sky 6 is real!

That was my thought exactly when I found out about that at the Jazz and Rib fest when talking with them.

I'll say this WSYX have become a player in Columbus news race in the last couple of years. in the morning it's between them and WBNS. WCMH with MG has gone belly up in the last few years with a list of things I can't even name.

And here's pics of the new copter in action.....

sky4_Felxy_500x333.jpg

sky1_FaEqI_500x333.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody notice the huge increase in "I-Team" style investigations?

Is this a national trend?

NBC 4 hired Duane Pohlman, who is well known for investigative work. Of course, they still have Ted Hart.

I saw ABC 6 is also doing a lot of investigative stories. They've been pretty good, IMO. Looking forward to the upcoming story on corruption in Brice.

10TV has Paul Aker occasionally doing investigations, but I haven't watched them lately (can't stand Kristen Hartman).

Archived