WTVY Goes To The (Little) Horses

Weeters

If you are browsing this website, chances are you have been online long enough to learn what a "Brony" is. Well, it seems the fine folks (specifically, the morning show Producer, apparently) at WTVY in Dothan, Alabama do, too, and they are running a Brony fan art contest. Yes, you read that right, they are running a contest where they want people to submit My Little Pony fan art.

The article mentions they have done similar tributes for the anniversary of the debut of the comic strip "Garfield" animated series and the anniversary of the premiere of "Star Trek". There's a bit more to this, however, because unlike Garfield and Star Trek, it seems the morning show might like My Little Pony a little too much. Not only is their Twitter media feed littered with random MLP related imagery, it seems the station has previously attempted to cover Brony conventions in other countries, as well as other states.

In fact, a search of the station website reveals the word "Brony" appears in over 60 articles so far this year! Looking through them I have yet to find anything that would indicate these are newswire stories, meaning the station is writing and originating the articles themselves. It's not unusual for

, but, well, they come off of news services and they don't go on to keep covering the fandom.

Perhaps there is just not that much news to report in Dothan, AL.

They were acknowledging the premiere of the Garfield cartoon that used to be on CBS, not the strip itself...

Anyway, I'm pleasantly amused by the fact that there's a television station out there that has its own pony.

Went ahead and submitted this to Equestria Daily.

Here's the link to the WTVY pony. I remember that Erin Burnett got a ponified version of herself after her report on bronies two years ago. There's also a parody of CNN, PNN, in the comic books.

If you are browsing this website, chances are you have been online long enough to learn what a "Brony" is. Well, it seems the fine folks (specifically, the morning show Producer, apparently) at WTVY in Dothan, Alabama do, too, and they are running a Brony fan art contest. Yes, you read that right, they are running a contest where they want people to submit My Little Pony fan art.

The article mentions they have done similar tributes for the anniversary of the debut of the comic strip "Garfield" and the anniversary of the premiere of "Star Trek". There's a bit more to this, however, because unlike Garfield and Star Trek, it seems the morning show might like My Little Pony a little too much. Not only is their Twitter media feed littered with random MLP related imagery, it seems the station has previously attempted to cover Brony conventions in other countries, as well as other states.

In fact, a search of the station website reveals the word "Brony" appears in over 60 articles so far this year! Looking through them I have yet to find anything that would indicate these are newswire stories, meaning the station is writing and originating the articles themselves. It's not unusual for

, but, well, they come off of news services and they don't go on to keep covering the fandom.

Perhaps there is just not that much news to report in Dothan, AL.

It's Dothan, AL. Honestly, i'm surprised that anything MLP related made it on a television station in hyper-conservative Alabama. Still, WTVY is best pony station. ;)

Oh. My.

I don't think I can complain about the unprofessionalism of ABC27 WHTM anymore after seeing this. Wow.

-- Matt

This stuff only happens during the morning show. The normal newscasts are fine. Honestly, WHTM is worse.

Small market station during a morning show. Typical. Doesn't bother me at all. Most of you people have probably never been to a small market...

Maybe I've never been in a small market for an extended period of time (I used to live in San Antonio for a few years, but it's not exactly a small market; I've stayed in Myrtle Beach for vacations in the past,) but I'm not naive about the differences in news operations between "large" and "small" markets. I understand that the dynamics of news operations are much different in small markets and news days can move along at what someone in the news gathering business in, say, Dallas would consider a "slow news day", but is considered normal in say, Dothan.

Sounds like the work of an overzealous producer....

Sometimes they can get the viewers to play along with it, and in some cases, eat it up.

When it starts driving viewers away....then you have a problem on your hands.

Yeah, although this doesn't happen on a daily basis, it would be nice to see how WTVY performs in the mornings. That being said, they don't have to worry; they are practically the only game in town, as WTVY operates the CBS, CW, NBC and MyNetworkTV operations in southeast Alabama. The competition? ABC affiliate WDHN doesn't concern WTVY; its transmitter range is so weak and its ratings so low that its hard to consider them a threat. Finally, there's WDFX, the Fox affiliate, but it doesn't have its own news operation, as its (few) newscasts are produced by WSFA in Montgomery.

WTVY doesn't have much to worry about ratings wise; they've been the ratings powerhouse in Dothan for a very long time.

Maybe I've never been in a small market for an extended period of time (I used to live in San Antonio for a few years, but it's not exactly a small market; I've stayed in Myrtle Beach for vacations in the past,) but I'm not naive about the differences in news operations between "large" and "small" markets. I understand that the dynamics of news operations are much different in small markets and news days can move along at what someone in the news gathering business in, say, Dallas would consider a "slow news day", but is considered normal in say, Dothan.

I'm very familiar with small markets. Familiar with Houston, S.A., Austin, RGV, Corpus Christi, Laredo, and Victoria markets. I visit all these places regularly (except S.A. which is where I live of course). I always cut Corpus Christi, Laredo, and Victoria some slack and in fact, I would expect this from the Laredo or Victoria stations. Maybe not Corpus, but honestly not a lot of news happens in Dothan. Honestly they shouldn't have their own TV station but I beg to differ.

Watch a full small market newscast and you'll see what I mean. There's a lot of stuff KIII, KAVU, KGNS run that would NEVER make the Houston news. May make the San Antonio news on the weekends, or Austin on a VERY slow news day.

I'm very familiar with small markets. Familiar with Houston, S.A., Austin, RGV, Corpus Christi, Laredo, and Victoria markets. I visit all these places regularly (except S.A. which is where I live of course). I always cut Corpus Christi, Laredo, and Victoria some slack and in fact, I would expect this from the Laredo or Victoria stations. Maybe not Corpus, but honestly not a lot of news happens in Dothan. Honestly they shouldn't have their own TV station but I beg to differ.

Watch a full small market newscast and you'll see what I mean. There's a lot of stuff KIII, KAVU, KGNS run that would NEVER make the Houston news. May make the San Antonio news on the weekends, or Austin on a VERY slow news day.

Yeah, you'll never see this kind of stuff in Atlanta, Houston, Miami or New York (among others); in fact, aside from WTVY and at least once on WDAF, any brony stuff I've seen on North American television has been on cable (Fox News and The Colbert Report) or in Canada (Global News and CBC News [radio and TV]).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Dear Lord! I live in Dothan and wasn't aware of this crap! Embarrassing!

Well, it is a small market, plus it's a morning show. Add to the fact that one of the morning show producers is a brony, and well...I thought this was pretty cool; to each his own, though.

Plus, remember that WTVY is the dominant station in Dothan; it's not even close. Thus, WTVY can pull these stunts and get away with them. When they did this earlier this year, I immediately declared WTVY to be 20% cooler in my book. :D

Archived