TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

WKYC is taking some slight liberty with the Gannett graphics in their coverage of Lebron James. The color-coding has disappeared in favor of red lines (or wine since it's one of the Cavs' colors), and some supers have worked in some gradient images of Lebron on the right side of some of the lower thirds.

Have any other stations taken such liberty with the package, with all of its color-coding and uniformity?

WKYC is taking some slight liberty with the Gannett graphics in their coverage of Lebron James. The color-coding has disappeared in favor of red lines (or wine since it's one of the Cavs' colors), and some supers have worked in some gradient images of Lebron on the right side of some of the lower thirds.

Have any other stations taken such liberty with the package, with all of its color-coding and uniformity?

I doubt they'd eliminated the color-coded-ness. They obviously using the darker reds obviously because its a sports related matter. They were using the other colors, including yellow when they went with a couple of weather segments within the last hour of coverage (they were on like after 12:30 through about 6:30pm.

This is not the first time I've seen a unified color grid. Portions of the last hour of WWL's Eyewitness Morning News, they use all purple (Life) for their segments.

I just watched their 11pm "A" Block...

They are clearly using the Sports coloring for ALL things Lebron today. I am noticing the superimposed LBJ photo on the L3 info bar.

Edit: They also just spun up a version of the "This is Home" promo entitled "#WelcomeHome", clearly, for Lebron.

WWL's done the L3 with an image on the right for some recent big stories (the French Quarter shooting, Nagin's sentence) and a new series of reports whose name escapes me at the moment, so it appears to be something that's part of the package, not a station going outside the lines.

Everyone has been quiet the last few days....anyone caught any teases about switching to the new graphics tomorrow?

Looks like it will be ktvb.com (web)....and ?

WCNC is scheduled to pick up the graphics. Haven't seen a promo, but someone posted a few weeks back that they'd be the one to get them.

It's kind of shocking that they would implement the new graphics in the middle of the sweeps (even though its July, and it's like the meaningless sweeps period of the four).

Maybe more stations could be making more noise by the end of sweeps. It looks like the Deathstar wants to push the new look on all of its stations before the Fall.

I'm hoping WCNC would mention their new graphics tonight during their news....

It's kind of shocking that they would implement the new graphics in the middle of the sweeps (even though its July, and it's like the meaningless sweeps period of the four).

Maybe more stations could be making more noise by the end of sweeps. It looks like the Deathstar wants to push the new look on all of its stations before the Fall.

I'm hoping WCNC would mention their new graphics tonight during their news....

Here at WVEC, the meteorologist told me they hope to have it on-air before the end of July, with the website online by the end of August, depending on roll-out at the previous stations (I asked him when KING 5 got theirs)... so it's been a few weeks.

Just to let you guys know, I'm hearing the date for the graphics launch on WCNC has been pushed back.

You don't know the new date yet? I kind of suspected that they were going to implement it during the middle of sweeps. Usaually it would happen before or the first day of, or after sweeps. Maybe WCNC & WVEC could launch at the same time. That may not happen like that, but anything could happen.

Anywho, no telling when they switched, but KTVB's new website just went live.

While all these new stations are getting the graphics, one station that's had them,WUSA, found a way to really butcher the open. I hate three note sig played in the tease as a transition. And they have some crappy in-house graphic for the wx sting now:

[yt]eB3IvQ73V-o[/yt]

While all these new stations are getting the graphics, one station that's had them,WUSA, found a way to really butcher the open. I hate three note sig played in the tease as a transition. And they have some crappy in-house graphic for the wx sting now:

[yt]eB3IvQ73V-o[/yt]

I thought the new weather graphics open came from Gannett since they've been using it from the very first day they got the rest of the new graphics. Anyway, it's the same way WJXX/WLTV uses the stinger. "This is Home" doesn't seem to have a hard open (and WUSA uses a very soft verison of the open for most of the other newscasts).

[yt]kpM_ug3CVpQ[/yt]

[yt]eB3IvQ73V-o[/yt]

That topic transition with the three-note stinger is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. It doesn't even match up with the bumper music. It's out of time.

That topic transition with the three-note stinger is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. It doesn't even match up with the bumper music. It's out of time.

the one way I could see that possibly working is if they used the the lightest mix of the bumper available without any drums. Even then probably would still sound like crap. Surefire way to make it work would be to pre-produce that entire pre-open piece and actually line up the logo with the beats in the bumper bed. Doubt too many stations would take the extra minute or two needed to get that right. Afterall, too many still have the mentality of sound isn't as important as the video. Now in digital and HD, it's all equally important and mistakes are more pronounced. You could hide a lot in the analog days.

That bumper cut, though, minus the stinger, is awesome.

KHOU will likely debut the new look soon. Last night during a 11News ITeam report on efforts to control the bird population at Bush Intercontinental Airport, they used fullscreen elements from the Gannett package.

Unfortunately I can't post a link to the video from their mobile site.

They've also been using the Gannett package base maps for about the last month or two

KHOU will likely debut the new look soon. Last night during a 11News ITeam report on efforts to control the bird population at Bush Intercontinental Airport, they used fullscreen elements from the Gannett package.

Unfortunately I can't post a link to the video from their mobile site.

They've also been using the Gannett package base maps for about the last month or two

Here's the story he's talking about.

Some stations that have yet to fully implemented the graphics have used bits and pieces, like new map graphics, etc.

Watching WHAS seems so depressing, that all of their owners over the years really don't care about this station. Listening to their version of "This is Home" it sounds like a worn out record. The set looks like it has to be at least 20 years old. The lighting in that studio is awful. It seems dark in there and the anchors look like ghosts. I don't care if it was "refreshed" it still looks old. They still have a really ancient logo from the 1970's on the outside of their building. The current logo dates from the 1980's and it's showing it's age. I don't care if you gloss it or replace the circle with a box or add the current ABC logo it still looks old and worn. They've had the same VO for like 30 years. There's a reason I prefer all the other stations even WDRB. WHAS I think has rated 4th place at one point and it shows. They seem to be content with having a outdated feeling to them.

I hate to say it but I don't think they have audio issues (since the anchors sound fine). I highly think it's intentional. They want the music to sound direct out of the 80's. Way to take a semi-decent news theme and make it sound like crap.

Just look at this open they played at 11:

I don't expect much from Gannett honestly but they really need to address WHAS but I guess not.

Jesus, it sounds like it's being played in the key of R.