TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

What kind of overhaul? An update to their current website layout (Gannett-TEGNA), or a new one altogether?

Also, speaking of overhauls, I saw what could be KCEN's new logo on google play, so does that mean that it will recieve a change in logos? And will any other TEGNA station that hasn't gotten a new logo in 2 decades get a new logo anytime soon?

An overhaul. Not a facelift. They are distinct.

I mean, I've been here for the discussion (you were the one who brought it up, I distinctly remember), but I'm still calling it Gannettegna-ized based simply on the USAT colors, until if/when the UX change becomes more than theorized conjecture, and my weather is not broadcast with a yellow stripe.

The newspaper division choose the branding for themselves and the stations. Now that the stations are their own entity, they'll go in a different direction.

• Like 1

KYTX Just got the overhaul today.

I guess the old "like our partners at USA Today" promo for the website wouldn't work anymore. The websites (and apps) are an improvement over the current London platforms though...

• Like 2

This could be KCEN-TV's new logo. I found this on Logopedia.

latest?cb=20160713153321

It's in use on their app already, and they've been airing a commercial about a change coming soon, which leads me to believe that it was probably meant for when they rolled out the new website.

• Like 1

This could be KCEN-TV's new logo. I found this on Logopedia.

latest?cb=20160713153321

It's in use on their app already, and they've been airing a commercial about a change coming soon, which leads me to believe that it was probably meant for when they rolled out the new website.
I already mentioned that, but what about KAGS? Will it get a new logo too, or just retain its current logo? And I might have to ask the same thing about KIDY.

Nothing from this reminds me of a Hearst station. Nothing at all.

WKYC has taken some serious liberty in it's use of their graphics/opens and music over the last several months.

Here's a promo sample that uses the same music as the intro and most bumpers.

The supers and headline bar remain the same, but there's some leeway in other things, especially in the teasers.

And at the very end of the newscast, they ditched the TEGNA logo and replaced it with a generic copyright "©2016 WKYC-TV INC"

I doubt they're up for sale or going to be up for sale any time soon, but this is the furthesy yet I've seen a TEGNA station stray from their presentarion.

These graphics are contracted out to Hothaus Creative's project manager Matt Quinn who lives in the Cleveland area. Tegna is in frequent contact with Jon Fox and the Hothaus team, but Tegna's design mission hasn't aligned such that Hathaus is the right choice for the graphics package.

I already mentioned that, but what about KAGS? Will it get a new logo too, or just retain its current logo? And I might have to ask the same thing about KIDY.

I doubt KAGS would get a new logo that dumped their call letters in favor of a channel number ... their call letters were picked specifically to tie the station to the Texas A&M Aggies. It'd be foolish to give that up, but we are talking about TEGNA, so ...

KUSA is launching a new half-hour newscast aimed at people who "don't watch TV news". The program, Next with Kyle Clark, will debut on August 5 (the night of the Summer Olympics opening ceremonies), in place of the 6 p.m. newscast.

http://www.denverite.com/next-kyle-clark-next-kyle-clark-8827/#more-8827

Gosh I sure hope it includes a social media aspect for all of us fence sitters.

(barf)

• Like 1

Don't know if this is a permant change or not, but Seattle TEGNA station KING has slightly shuffled it's evening anchor schedules.

4pm Amanda & Mark

5pm Amanda & Lori

6:30pm Lori & Mark

7pm Lori & Mark

9pm Amanda solo

10pm Lori & Mark

11pm Lori & Mark.

KUSA is launching a new half-hour newscast aimed at people who "don't watch TV news". The program, Next with Kyle Clark, will debut on August 5 (the night of the Summer Olympics opening ceremonies), in place of the 6 p.m. newscast.

Competing with The NOW Denver perhaps?

• Like 1

Don't know if this is a permant change or not, but Seattle TEGNA station KING has slightly shuffled it's evening anchor schedules.

4pm Amanda & Mark

5pm Amanda & Lori

6:30pm Lori & Mark

7pm Lori & Mark

9pm Amanda solo

10pm Lori & Mark

11pm Lori & Mark.

Dang...

Lori and Mark should just "get a room".

• Like 3

I gotta wonder if it's aimed towards people who don't watch news how the hell are they going to get them to tune in?

• Like 2

Also, I don't know how much social media interaction will play into this show but I hope it's not reliant on it to make it interesting. A question of the day may be fine but I'd be suprised at how many takers they will get for a show at 6PM. I frequently answer a question of the day on one show on BBC World News and I can't tell you how many times I have gotten my tweets and name shouted out on air simply because there were lack responses (but I will say I've had a bunch read because of my snarky/clever responses*). If a show that has world wide distribution (and gets significant viewership in the UK) for their time slot can only get one or two responses how many will a show from Denver get?

Gosh I sure hope it includes a social media aspect for all of us fence sitters.

(barf)

*One of my responses that got the most laughs/snickers at the table was in response to the use of e-readers. I replied that I still prefer the old hardcover books but a kindle or iPad are awfully useful when your reading some more adult material that you don't want others to know your reading. The hosts added "especially when your in public".

If Eat News is anything like I think he is his e reader is probably filled with all fifty two editions of Penthouse Letters.

• Like 5

Also, I don't know how much social media interaction will play into this show but I hope it's not reliant on it to make it interesting. A question of the day may be fine but I'd be suprised at how many takers they will get for a show at 6PM. I frequently answer a question of the day on one show on BBC World News and I can't tell you how many times I have gotten my tweets and name shouted out on air simply because there were lack responses (but I will say I've had a bunch read because of my snarky/clever responses*). If a show that has world wide distribution (and gets significant viewership in the UK) for their time slot can only get one or two responses how many will a show from Denver get?

*One of my responses that got the most laughs/snickers at the table was in response to the use of e-readers. I replied that I still prefer the old hardcover books but a kindle or iPad are awfully useful when your reading some more adult material that you don't want others to know your reading. The hosts added "especially when your in public".

If Eat News is anything like I think he is his e reader is probably filled with all fifty two editions of Penthouse Letters.

It might interest you to learn I do not own an e-reader HOWEVER........

I DO possess a large cache of "anatomical research magazines" that are kept under my bed in case of power outages/ earthquakes / riots. These materials are analog in nature and do not require any permits to own.

(humph)

I keep them for the articles.

• Like 2

It might interest you to learn I do not own an e-reader HOWEVER........

I DO possess a large cache of "anatomical research magazines" that are kept under my bed in case of power outages/ earthquakes / riots. These materials are analog in nature and do not require any permits to own.

(humph)

I keep them for the articles.

Then again, not everything digital needs a permit to own either.