KFMB debuts new graphics and music

A3N

Better to start a new thread dedicated to the topic. Anyways, after 8+ years with their graphics, KFMB debuted brand new graphics and music packages. Here are a few samples, more pics in the on-air graphics forum.

capture_20131024_173246_zpsf1eb6fa3.jpg

capture_20131024_173241_zps1fbb4a18.jpg

It doesn't look that bad, but I absolutely HATE the music!

*sigh* the "Breaking News Leader" slogan. How long have they had that?

They've had that slogan for a few years now. Music is ok, can't tell who composed it.

I don't think it looks bad at all. And there are enough customized elements to make it look different from XETV. I don't really have a problem with the music either (even though is does sound a little McGeyorish). I am just curious if that awful morning cut is sticking around. I do agree with the comment that the set and the graphics don't match. It seems to me that the tweaks made to the set don't even compliment this package at all. Not sure what the thought process was but whoever made decisions didn't make the right ones. And just to be clear, I'm not saying they needed to get a new set because this one is fine but some other elements needed to be changed to mesh better with the graphics like possibly removing the rock work along the LCD screen wall. Also, the panels on either side of the rear projection screen also need to be different. Some odd changes were made now that I see the graphics in play.

KFMB made a bad choice making their desk from black to clear and they should've kept those wallpapers because now it looks horrible! Look at KCBS it had many elements of brown and blue and they did a great overhaul tweaking their set going full blue.

The lower 3rd's could use some work. They should stretch them out, at least it will make it a bit better. In regards to the music, the morning cuts sound like they are part of the package so maybe they might choose some better cuts.

The lower 3rd's could use some work. They should stretch them out, at least it will make it a bit better.

Agreed. Those blue banners for the opening teases look really sharp -- the L3s should have been built off that. It would at least create a more unique look that doesn't seem too similar to XETV and KABC. What really bothers me is the variation in text size. The yellow headlines are too small, and names and locators are way to big. I'm also bothered by the smaller title line going above the name, but I'm traditional like that. The text on the OTS graphics are small and hard to read too. This package is clearly built for widescreen, but OTS graphics and names just seem too far off to the side. Hope some tweaks are in the works, but all and all it's a huge improvement. The other package was so tired and dated and its good they finally made a change.

I don't think it looks bad at all. And there are enough customized elements to make it look different from XETV. I don't really have a problem with the music either (even though is does sound a little McGeyorish). I am just curious if that awful morning cut is sticking around. I do agree with the comment that the set and the graphics don't match. It seems to me that the tweaks made to the set don't even compliment this package at all. Not sure what the thought process was but whoever made decisions didn't make the right ones. And just to be clear, I'm not saying they needed to get a new set because this one is fine but some other elements needed to be changed to mesh better with the graphics like possibly removing the rock work along the LCD screen wall. Also, the panels on either side of the rear projection screen also need to be different. Some odd changes were made now that I see the graphics in play.

The rock columns need to go. A new desk would be a nice touch. Wood trim and panels similar to what KTLA has would really compliment the graphics. I actually like the cityscape on the duratrans panels. -- it's the ugly oragne CBS logo that kills it. And yes the RP would look so much better standing alone without those awful blue strips on the sides.

Agreed. Those blue banners for the opening teases look really sharp -- the L3s should have been built off that. It would at least create a more unique look that doesn't seem too similar to XETV and KABC. What really bothers me is the variation in text size. The yellow headlines are too small, and names and locators are way to big. I'm also bothered by the smaller title line going above the name, but I'm traditional like that. The text on the OTS graphics are small and hard to read too. This package is clearly built for widescreen, but OTS graphics and names just seem too far off to the side. Hope some tweaks are in the works, but all and all it's a huge improvement. The other package was so tired and dated and its good they finally made a change.

The rock columns need to go. A new desk would be a nice touch. Wood trim and panels similar to what KTLA has would really compliment the graphics. I actually like the cityscape on the duratrans panels. -- it's the ugly oragne CBS logo that kills it. And yes the RP would look so much better standing alone without those awful blue strips on the sides.

Aren't they due for a new set next year? It will be 7 years on this current set in January... Also, some of the real estate on the screen is not being used properly. A few things come to mind. First, the sponsor graphic could be moved to the left a bit and be lowered as well. The ticker could be moved to the blue bar on the bottom and the story info bar moved into the ticker space. Also the main L3 should be the promo banner (the aqua colored one), that way it will look a bit more organized. I'm even including my cheesy/crappy paint graphic to illustrate how they should fix the L3's...

kfmbl3mock_zps8eb0b89e.png

kfmbl3mock_zps8eb0b89e.png

Haha this is fantastic! But I completely agree. I'd do away with the wave behind the 8 and just let it stand alone above the time and temp. And don't expect a new set any time soon -- they probably blew their money on the new graphics and made the cheapest possible tweaks to the current set to keep stretching it beyond its shelf life. If the changes had made it look better, and not worse, they just may have gotten away with it.

Haha this is fantastic! But I completely agree. I'd do away with the wave behind the 8 and just let it stand alone above the time and temp. And don't expect a new set any time soon -- they probably blew their money on the new graphics and made the cheapest possible tweaks to the current set to keep stretching it beyond its shelf life. If the changes had made it look better, and not worse, they just may have gotten away with it.

Usually KFMB tweaks their sets about 5 years into it, this time around they tweaked it after 6 years. So i'm just going out on a limb and say that these tweaks should hold off a new set for a couple of years. Which of course brings up this: their affiliation renewal. Which is up in 2015 if im not mistaken? If the owners are strapped for cash, it'd be a perfect time to sell the station. Not saying it will happen, but given the timing of the layoffs last year, and the fact that they put off replacing a very old graphics package, leads one to believe they're not swimming in cash like they used to be. I should also point out that those blue plexiglass strips on the side they replaced a few months ago, well it looks like they were so cheap that the right side lights burned out.

Does anyone have a better cap of the weather center? From what I could glean from that clip, it looks horribly dated...

They never had a weather center in studio. It's always done from the newsroom and when it's actually time for the presentation they go on set only.

If I didn't hear that wild Connection bumper in the middle, I'd say the theme sounds a lot like a Non-Stop/Warner Chappell job.

I think that could have been a mistake on their part. The more I hear the instrumentation of the package, the more i'm inclined to think that it's not a 360 pack.

I have no problem with the music which seem calm, but don't like the logo. My biggest pet peeve is a station branding and don't like the CBS NEWS 8. They were better off as NEWS 8, and really dislike stations branding ABC XX News or NBC XX NEWS when your not in an O&O market.

I have no problem with the music which seem calm, but don't like the logo. My biggest pet peeve is a station branding and don't like the CBS NEWS 8. They were better off as NEWS 8, and really dislike stations branding ABC XX News or NBC XX NEWS when your not in an O&O market.

You're still an affiliate, nonetheless. There are a lot of non-O&Os run better than O&Os (WWJ doesn't even have a newscast) and those non-O&Os take the O&O branding. Look at 3/4 of the FOX stations in the country.

That 8 goes back to 80's, so I kind of see/agree with them going back and using it. The branding is weird to say the least, If they wanted to include the CBS part in there, why not stick with CBS 8 News? They already do that for everything else outside of news. Now, the anchors get confused and they either say News 8 or CBS 8 News, then quickly correct themselves to say CBS News 8. I don't mind the CBS XX or ABC XX because it ties the local channel with the network it's affiliated with (even if it's not an O&O).

The whole point of NetworkNumber branding is to trick viewers into thinking the network owns the station.

When Fox affiliates started doing it, they literally had people telling the station that they really improved "since Fox bought you guys."

The branding is weird to say the least, If they wanted to include the CBS part in there, why not stick with CBS 8 News?

That's been my question since they started using it with the morning show and I kept hoping that they would realize it was horrible and stop. The best way I can describe it is that it sounds clunky.

I do think "CBS NEWS *" is a bit unweildy. But I do love the "8", and I love even more the fact that the old "8" is gone. Chunky and gold is too old school for a big city. I don't even like it for channel 3 Eureka/Arcata.

I've only watched half of one newscast with all this branding in place, but overall it looks very sleek and professional. Not crazy about some music cuts, but others work fine.

Off topic, but Larry Himmel is looking old!

Using that logic, then all stations that aren't an O&O should brand themselves as "(call letters) News" or "Channel XX News."

"CBS News 8" is weird? Compared to what, 6ABC and 10NBC?

When it comes to tossing to a reporter, saying CBS News 8's (so and so) is live from XX, is a mouthful compared to just saying CBS 8's. They should have thought it through before putting it to use.

Archived