WFMZ With New Graphics

TSSZNews

They got these graphics on Halloween during their Sunrise edition, I took these pics during the 6 o'clock news (11-5-13)on their website. My only complaint is the old AccuWeather logo, but other than that, a HUGE upgrade. It's watermarked with my name is odd places so that you-know-who don't claim them as his.

th_DSCN0382-1.jpgth_DSCN0380.jpgth_DSCN0379.jpgth_DSCN0378.jpg

th_DSCN0377.jpgth_DSCN0376.jpgth_DSCN0375.jpgth_DSCN0373.jpg

th_DSCN0372.jpgth_DSCN0371.jpg

By the way, the weather cut is the best part of the theme, (and they added a virtual weather center to go with their physical weather center)

• 1 month later...

I live in the Lehigh Valley, and we're in such an odd area - we get the occasional coverage from Philly or Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, but none aside from that. That being said, WFMZ (obviously) has a HUGE following up here, and I must say, these graphics are great and long over due. They make 69 News really look like a class act. The previous graphics looked dated, even when they were new, and they used them for years after going HD. The old weather graphics were even worse. Everything really looks polished now. It's actually made me want to watch 69 even more.

• 2 months later...

3+ months later and I've forgotten all about how awful the old graphics were. These are pretty good and really ups their street cred, especially since they have no network affiliation.

Are stations like WFMZ common around the country? Strong news operations without any network affiliation?

3+ months later and I've forgotten all about how awful the old graphics were. These are pretty good and really ups their street cred, especially since they have no network affiliation.

Are stations like WFMZ common around the country? Strong news operations without any network affiliation?

The Big-3 Tribune stations pre-WB are a good example.

KTVK. WJXT. KIRO during its brief breakup with CBS. All three, very strong.

WFMZ isn't really anything like them. The fact that they're strong independents, yes. But, as someone who is familiar with the market, I can say that it's a different story. WFMZ is based in Allentown, PA which is sandwiched between four markets: New York City, Scranton PA, Philadelphia PA, and Harrisburg PA. Allentown is not really covered on any news stations in any of those markets. Allentown SHOULD be its own market. Its location is weird. It's just thrown in and one of the largest cities in Pennsylvania doesn't get covered adequately. Without WFMZ, the people of Allentown-Bethlehem wouldn't have really any proper news coverage. So, WFMZ is catering to everyone. They're doing newscasts dedicated to just one specific county. They're doing a Spanish newscast. They're doing newscasts all day. WFMZ is really stepping up their game as of recent.

WFMZ isn't really anything like them. The fact that they're strong independents, yes. But, as someone who is familiar with the market, I can say that it's a different story. WFMZ is based in Allentown, PA which is sandwiched between four markets: New York City, Scranton PA, Philadelphia PA, and Harrisburg PA. Allentown is not really covered on any news stations in any of those markets. Allentown SHOULD be its own market. Its location is weird. It's just thrown in and one of the largest cities in Pennsylvania doesn't get covered adequately. Without WFMZ, the people of Allentown-Bethlehem wouldn't have really any proper news coverage. So, WFMZ is catering to everyone. They're doing newscasts dedicated to just one specific county. They're doing a Spanish newscast. They're doing newscasts all day. WFMZ is really stepping up their game as of recent.

I've always wondered how "we" ended up that way (I live in the Lehigh Valley). The Philly stations (at least channel 6, I don't watch any others) sort of cover the Lehigh Valley for weather, and occasionally when there is a particularly big/interesting news story, but that's about it.

That being said, not really a whole lot happens up here - 69 News at Sunrise runs for 4 hours from 5 to 9 am and I really think it's quite overkill - the same storeis over and over again, some of which are just replayed from the 10 pm news. But, I give them credit, they really do try very hard. They often times have very transient reporters, aside from a few who have been around for a long time. And - if it's going to snow - 69 is THE place to turn to for closings/delays, and they have a really top-notch Stormcenter Update operation going on. Really professional looking displays on screen, the website is nicely organized, and you can even sign up for text and email alerts - which is awesome! Everyone watched 69 News on days when it might be snowy.

Do Comcast and Verizon carry WFMZ in the Philly area?

I've always wondered how "we" ended up that way (I live in the Lehigh Valley). The Philly stations (at least channel 6, I don't watch any others) sort of cover the Lehigh Valley for weather, and occasionally when there is a particularly big/interesting news story, but that's about it.

That being said, not really a whole lot happens up here - 69 News at Sunrise runs for 4 hours from 5 to 9 am and I really think it's quite overkill - the same storeis over and over again, some of which are just replayed from the 10 pm news. But, I give them credit, they really do try very hard. They often times have very transient reporters, aside from a few who have been around for a long time. And - if it's going to snow - 69 is THE place to turn to for closings/delays, and they have a really top-notch Stormcenter Update operation going on. Really professional looking displays on screen, the website is nicely organized, and you can even sign up for text and email alerts - which is awesome! Everyone watched 69 News on days when it might be snowy.

Do Comcast and Verizon carry WFMZ in the Philly area?

A few things:

1) Being that they are a news-heavy independent, they have the ability to do huge news blocks. It may seem like overkill to us because we watch it the whole time if it's on, but it's not designed for that. It's made for people who aren't newsies... who sit down and watch it for 10 to 30 minutes and turn it off and watch something else.

2) I'm sure that WFMZ is carried on Philly cable. Where's HulkieD when you need him?

A few things:

1) Being that they are a news-heavy independent, they have the ability to do huge news blocks. It may seem like overkill to us because we watch it the whole time if it's on, but it's not designed for that. It's made for people who aren't newsies... who sit down and watch it for 10 to 30 minutes and turn it off and watch something else.

Good point! Although tell that to my parents, who watch it for 2 hours. But I guess to a degree, any morning news show is like that - but I feel like the others at least try to mix it up every 1/2 hour or so.

In the 8:00 hour they do lighten it up a bit and have profiles/performances by local musicians, chefs, etc.

Hulkie had to excavate his car all of yesterday. :p

WFMZ is carried on area cable systems, including xfinity/Comcast and Verizon FiOS. Not sure about the satellites. FiOS just added them in HD last year.

I keep meaning to watch more of them but keep forgetting to...

Archived