CBS Airbrushing Dan Rather out of their History

Daybreak

I never thought that this day would come when I would actually agree with Dan Rather but today is that day. I found this article on TVNewser that basically saying something that I've been saying to people for a while. CBS is trying to get viewers to forget that Dan was ever apart of their history. They never air his clips when it comes to important events like how ABC airs Peter Jennings old footage and NBC uses Tom's for every occasions. Do you think it's right or fair for CBS to do this or they should just get over it already and admit Dan was there and use his footage and don't go out of their way to erase his memory because like it or not he was there for 44 years. Katie was their for 5 so I can see how they could do that to her but not Dan. Sound off below.

I grew up with Dan Rather. I was born in March 1981, and this was around the time Rather succeeded Walter Cronkite, and Rather handled the first breaking story of Reagan's assassination attempt on President Reagan's life. I just turned 24 years old when Rather retired in March 2005.

This is not cool that CBS News would want to elimate Dan Rather's time there.

We all have our screw ups, and Rather had his with George W. Bush scandal. But, we learn from our mistakes, we make amends, and we let the negative pasts be water under the bridge.

But, CBS would rather (no pun intended) flood that bridge and destroy it. They're gonna do so by erasing Dan Rather's face from the news division's history.

I grew up with the anchorman of the CBS Evening News, and he is one of my heroes in broadcast journalism. That is not cool what CBS is doing

I saw a comment that made reference to his $70M lawsuit, and how the network might be using that as their reason, but to completely avoid any evidence of his existence is harsh. His presence as a reporter in the 60s was second to few, especially during the JFK story. To leave out his contributions is to leave out a part of the story. If they don't want to interview him, fine, but it's just a waste to time to purposely omit him from the archives.

They're going to use footage including him, as well as previously taped musings about the event, so it's not going to be like he's "airbrushed" out of history. It's not a Chris Benoit situation where he is removed from everything.

Not that I don't mind if they use him Rather minimally. Never liked him. Was so happy when he was gone.

Never cared for Rather either. His tone of delivery was always so condescending and he had a suffocating arrogant demeanor but in saying that they he is not solely responsible for memogate and CBS is wrong for ignoring the Rather era they had.

I was a big fan of Dan Rather but he did sue his former employer for $70 million after he embarrassed them. To expect CBS to highlight his history with them would be silly. They're not interviewing him to reflect on the coverage but they are going to include his reports. He was the one who (accidentally) broke the news that Kennedy had died.

• 1 month later...

Archived