Comcast Deal To Buy Time Warner Cable Is Off

Nelson R.

TheStreet.com has an interesting article about the Comcast-Time Warner Cable merger, specifically mentioning that the combined operator (should it pass the regulatory concerns and approval) could offer Netflix on its set-top boxes in the future (maybe Hulu and Amazon Instant Video as well). Although stranger things have happened, I just kinda find it a far-fetched that Netflix would essentially join forces with Comcast-TWC, as many look at Netflix as the alternate to cable/satellite.

I agree with you. I think if anything, TimeNational-Cast will buy Hulu out right because the platform is already established and the market is defined (though expandable) and then they will drive on expanding the platform, beyond web, but to media production and as said, set top boxes. If internet is not redefined as utilitarian (i.e. rebuke the judicial ruling against the Net Neutrality Act), Netflix could see a sharp drop-off in membership as Comcast slows data transmission to slower than dial-up speeds (which by my account is anti-capitalistic and very much Mob mentality).

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TheStreet.com has an interesting article about the Comcast-Time Warner Cable merger, specifically mentioning that the combined operator (should it pass the regulatory concerns and approval) could offer Netflix on its set-top boxes in the future (maybe Hulu and Amazon Instant Video as well). Although stranger things have happened, I just kinda find it a far-fetched that Netflix would essentially join forces with Comcast-TWC, as many look at Netflix as the alternate to cable/satellite.

Why not? What Netflix does is essentially the same thing as movies on demand. Distribution over a set top box is far more efficient and probably uses far less bandwith than internet distribution does. Netflix has the brand name and it would probably help movie on demand sales.

Guest Former Member 207

Why not? What Netflix does is essentially the same thing as movies on demand. Distribution over a set top box is far more efficient and probably uses far less bandwith than internet distribution does. Netflix has the brand name and it would probably help movie on demand sales.

In theory, I don't disagree with you, and if Comcast enforces their internet bandwidth caps on the incoming TWC subscribers, it would benefit the customers. I guess a good similar example would be Blockbuster's on-demand service with Dish Network. Personally, I'm for anything that would make my TV viewing experience more efficient; I wish that DirecTV would offer an app on Xbox (or other similar streaming devices). One thing that digital cable on-demand has over DirecTV's on-demand service is that you don't need a network connection to access programming...that, and digital cable offers much more on-demand content than DirecTV by far.

On a side note, I was looking to get out of my DirecTV contract when it expires later in the year, and go to TWC (mainly for their TWC TV app). However, if this deal goes through...I wouldn't be so sure.

This is why I love Charlie Ergen.

A couple times in the last 15 years Dish and DirecTV have floated the possibility of merging or tried to merge (particularly in 2002 when EchoStar and DirecTV attempted a merger), only to meet stiff resistance from federal authorities.

Now he's flabbergasted at how the #1 and #4 pay TV providers can merge but #2 and #3 can't.

Guest Former Member 207

Another related Comcast-Netflix story, this time from the Kansas City Star (via AP)

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/02/23/4844318/netflix-reaches-deal-with-comcast.html

Netflix has reached a deal with Comcast to ensure that its TV shows and movies are streamed smoothly to households, the first deal the online video streaming service has reached with an Internet service provider.

The two companies said in a joint statement Sunday they're establishing a more direct connection to provide a better service to customers that will also allow for future growth in Netflix traffic. The companies say the arrangement is already giving customers a better experience.

Netflix had 33 million U.S. streaming subscribers at the start of the year and accounts for about one third of all traffic at peak times on the Internet, according to research firm Sandvine. As the video steaming company has grown, Internet service providers like Comcast have pushed the company for more structured deals to enable its content to be transmitted smoothly and reduce the strain on their networks.

This is why I love Charlie Ergen.

A couple times in the last 15 years Dish and DirecTV have floated the possibility of merging or tried to merge (particularly in 2002 when EchoStar and DirecTV attempted a merger), only to meet stiff resistance from federal authorities.

Now he's flabbergasted at how the #1 and #4 pay TV providers can merge but #2 and #3 can't.

While I'm not in favor of the TWC/Comcast merger, even I have to grant that it is significantly different to have those two merge that don't directly compete in the consumer marketplace (they compete in different ways) than to have the only two satellite companies, ones that are direct competitors, merge.

While I'm not in favor of the TWC/Comcast merger, even I have to grant that it is significantly different to have those two merge that don't directly compete in the consumer marketplace (they compete in different ways) than to have the only two satellite companies, ones that are direct competitors, merge.

It doesn't bother me that much. Between AT&T/Verizon/Frontier, DirectTV/DishTV, cell phones and Cable overbuilders, there is plenty of competition out there. It doesn't bother me too much if they merge since I can always switch to AT&T or WOW if Comcast tries to jerk me around.

I just switched over to TWC's phone service for $10 a month. I was skeptical because cable outages are so frequent, but so far, so good. I'm sure I'll have a different opinion when the cable goes down.

According to News Channel 9, Time Warner plans on increasing their prices next month. Also mentioned, Time Warner is adding a new monthly "Broadcast TV Fee" ($2.25/mo) to help offset the rising cost of retrans fees. The reporter didn't mention whether the merger with Comcast was a factor in their decision to raise the prices.

Video here: http://www.localsyr.com/video/watch/d/video/time-warner-increasing-rates-for-cable-internet-se/4957179

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wonder what's going to happen with both Time Warner Cable SportsNet (The Lakers Channel), and SportsNet LA (The Dodgers Channel), after The Time Warner Cable-Comcast Merger closes, my guess will be that they will become part of the NBC Sports Group, and they will merge and become Comcast SportsNet Los Angeles.

• 3 weeks later...

It appears that Comcast & Charter have agreed to a deal in which Comcast will divest nearly 4 million subscribers.

In a three-part deal, First, Charter will acquire 1.4 current TWC subscribers directly. Second, Comcast & Charter will then swap 1.6 million subs each in a "tax-efficient exchange". And third, Comcast will form a new cable company (tentatively called "SpinCo") in which it will spin off another 2.5 million subs. Charter shareholders will have 33% stake in the the new cable company. This three-part deal will happen after the existing pending Comcast-TWC deal gets the greenlight.

The major question they left out is which markets that Comcast is going to divest to Charter?

It appears that Comcast & Charter have agreed to a deal in which Comcast will divest nearly 4 million subscribers.

In a three-part deal, First, Charter will acquire 1.4 current TWC subscribers directly. Second, Comcast & Charter will then swap 1.6 million subs each in a "tax-efficient exchange". And third, Comcast will form a new cable company (tentatively called "SpinCo") in which it will spin off another 2.5 million subs. Charter shareholders will have 33% stake in the the new cable company. This three-part deal will happen after the existing pending Comcast-TWC deal gets the greenlight.

The major question they left out is which markets that Comcast is going to divest to Charter?

I have comcast as my cable provider in Miami, but have TWC as my cable provider in NYC. Does that mean my cable company in NYC will become Comcast? Or will it become Charter?. Hopefully it's Comcast as I really love the cloud based X1 DVR system.

I have comcast as my cable provider in Miami, but have TWC as my cable provider in NYC. Does that mean my cable company in NYC will become Comcast? Or will it become Charter?. Hopefully it's Comcast as I really love the cloud based X1 DVR system.

If you're in that part of NYC where TWC is in, that will become Comcast. I strongly doubt that NYC would be one of their spun-off markets for obvious reasons.

Charter-Comcast-map__140428124845.jpg

Just as I feared, Charter will shine in all of Wisconsin, including Milwaukee & Green Bay (they could've let Comcast keep Milwaukee and give up Green Bay). They will also cover Ohio (a shocker) & Kentucky. Twin Cities, Detroit & Indiana will be operated by the new cable entity, which Charter will partly own. Comcast will acquire Charter systems in clusters including California, Texas, and New England.

If you're in that part of NYC where TWC is in, that will become Comcast. I strongly doubt that NYC would be one of their spun-off markets for obvious reasons.

Just as I feared, Charter will shine in all of Wisconsin, including Milwaukee & Green Bay (they could've let Comcast keep Milwaukee and give up Green Bay). They will also cover Ohio (a shocker) & Kentucky. Twin Cities, Detroit & Indiana will be operated by the new cable entity, which Charter will partly own. Comcast will acquire Charter systems in clusters including California, Texas, and New England.

Great, finally rid of comcast, which I dislike for being too big.

Okay thanks for that I live in Manhattan so I guess that will become Comcast.

How is John Malone evil? Because he sold TCI to AT&T (who promptly sold their systems to Comcast), or because he started QVC? (Because, he did start Starz and Encore, which now have stakes in the animation and home media markets, with Film Roman and Anchor Bay.)

How is John Malone evil? Because he sold TCI to AT&T (who promptly sold their systems to Comcast), or because he started QVC? (Because, he did start Starz and Encore, which now have stakes in the animation and home media markets, with Film Roman and Anchor Bay.)

I doubt it has anything to do with that. From what I have heard/read, people don't like Charter because of their service (among other things). Plus, Malone was the one orchestrating a hostile takeover of TWC just before they announced that Comcast was going to purchase them. It is very telling when you are told that if 'you thought Comcast was bad, Charter is much worse.'

I am a TWC customer in Ohio and just comparing plans it looks like for $5 more a month I will get 60 mbps instead of 15 mbps and 4 mbps upload (which I actually care about) instead of the 1 mbps I currently get. That is a good thing as long as their service is reliable. I guess we will have to wait and see.

• 1 month later...

Kind of surprised one or the other didn't get MO although Charter used to have its HQ in STL and still has a call center there, Comca$t gets all of KC

Comcast should've least divested some other markets. Giving Charter the KC market wouldn't hurt all that much. They still should've divested the Nebraska, New Mexico & Arizona markets since that doesn't really fit their footprint much either.

Anywho, I'm bumping this thread because Comcast has posted paperwork on its divestiture plan to spin-off its 3.9M subscribers to Charter & its new cable spin-off company "SpinCo".

Public Interest statements from Comcast, Charter, & SpinCo are also posted. Although the FCC could still rule on the transactions separately from the Comcast/TWC deal, All the parties involved request the FCC to approve all related transactions contemporaneously.

On page 2 of SpinCo statement, SpinCo may have a actual name, when its all said and done.

At least initially, SpinCo will be named “Midwest Cable LLC.”

Here's the map of how its going to be post-transaction:

ComcastTWCMap.png

As you see Comcast have nearly that whole Atlantic seaboard locked. And damn near a good chunk of the Pacific shoreline.

I'll say this though, if all these transactions get the greenlight, I wouldn't be shocked if Comcast would knock on Cox's door in Rhode Island, and Cablevision could be Comcast's next meal-ticket.

• 1 month later...

FCC has started its 180-day shot clock on the Comcast-Time Warner Cable merger.

It has also stated on a Public Notice yesterday, that it will see comments from the public on this deal.

The deadlines for comments and petitions are due August 25th. Responses of those comments/petitions are due September 23rd, and replies to those responses are due October 8th.

• 2 months later...

Archived