WPIX adding weekday 11am and weekend morning newscasts

B2r4a6n

Sometimes you need less newscasts, not more. Especially with a station in the position that WPIX is right now.

WTXF added too much news, too fast, and they suffered awhile because of it. Slow expansion is what they should be focusing on right now.

Sometimes you need less newscasts, not more. Especially with a station in the position that WPIX is right now.

True but when you don't have enough news, its not a bad thing to add. And WPIX needs to give viewers the idea that they are there for the news. Plus it gives them advantages over WNYW. I see this as a good thing for WPIX.

Definitely a move in the right direction. And it's smart to use fresh talent in that hour. It wi help build a stable of anchors which can come in handy for fill-ins on the early AM/PM shows, as well as help with turnover.

And the weekend AM newscast is a great idea. Maybe it will push WNYW to start one as well.

This is my suggestion for the anchor lineups (even though they are bringing in new talent, I think they don't need too many new people, as their current talent is fully capable of doing more hours)

Weekday Mornings (4-6)

have new male talent replace dan and keep Marysol

Weekday Mornings (6-9)

Get rid of Suki and add Kirstin, Keep Kori

Keep weather the same

have new sports talent

Weekdays at 11am

Marysol and Kori

Have either Linda or Lisa do weather

Weekdays at 5pm

Keep Tamsen and Scott

Get new weather talent for when Mr G retires

**Add New 6PM Newscast as Well**

6PM:

Have new talent solo

Keep same weather as 5 and 10pm

Weekdays at 10PM

Tamsen and Scott

same weather talent as 5 and 6pm

weekend mornings

Get new talent, male and female.

Have either Jeanette Calle, Chris Knowles or Joe Cioffi do weather.

Have Dyrol Joyner do sports in the morning

weekend evenings at 6 and 10pm

Keep Kaity, and add either Marvin or Craig Treadway

Keep Craig Allen

Have Dyrol Joyner do sports permanently

Also, I hope they get new graphics, music and a new set. BTW, has anyone heard any news about their new set? I heard they are supposed to be starting on one this year. I guess they are trying to get all of their newscasts fixed by May Sweeps period. Also, is this 11am newscast going to be on daily, or just on weekdays? I think they should just keep it for weekdays (this is just my personal opinion)

For what its worth: I live in Westchester and commute to the city. On the return home, I walk in my door around 6-6:30. By the time I am ready to watch TV it is 7:00 - I have no local news till 10PM - I know the 7pm is local prime time - but what working person who commutes is able to watch tv before 6:30 - This is NYC - everyone commutes - hear is a a far fetched idea. Put some real hot syndication programming from 7 to 8, a hour long newscast from 8 to 9 - move CW programming from 9 to 11 (teenagers are out with their friends - usually home by ninee on school night) , half hour news at 11

This is my suggestion for the anchor lineups (even though they are bringing in new talent, I think they don't need too many new people, as their current talent is fully capable of doing more hours)

Weekday Mornings (4-6)

have new male talent replace dan and keep Marysol

Weekday Mornings (6-9)

Get rid of Suki and add Kirstin, Keep Kori

Keep weather the same

have new sports talent

Weekdays at 11am

Marysol and Kori

Have either Linda or Lisa do weather

Weekdays at 5pm

Keep Tamsen and Scott

Get new weather talent for when Mr G retires

**Add New 6PM Newscast as Well**

6PM:

Have new talent solo

Keep same weather as 5 and 10pm

Weekdays at 10PM

Tamsen and Scott

same weather talent as 5 and 6pm

weekend mornings

Get new talent, male and female.

Have either Jeanette Calle, Chris Knowles or Joe Cioffi do weather.

Have Dyrol Joyner do sports in the morning

weekend evenings at 6 and 10pm

Keep Kaity, and add either Marvin or Craig Treadway

Keep Craig Allen

Have Dyrol Joyner do sports permanently

Also, I hope they get new graphics, music and a new set. BTW, has anyone heard any news about their new set? I heard they are supposed to be starting on one this year. I guess they are trying to get all of their newscasts fixed by May Sweeps period. Also, is this 11am newscast going to be on daily, or just on weekdays? I think they should just keep it for weekdays (this is just my personal opinion)

I rather take Marvin over Craig. Honestly, Craig is an absolute bored and dry.

I like the idea of weekend morning newscasts on WPIX. If done right, they could compete. However, I don't think an 11 a.m. newscast would work. It didn't work for WNYW. Instead WPIX should add either a hour-long 4 p.m. newscast or half-hour (or full-hour) 6 p.m. show.

I just realized that Jerry Springer is on at 11am on wpix and has been for a while...I doubt an 11am newscast would get better ratings because Jerry Speinger still gets good numbers.

I like the idea of weekend morning newscasts on WPIX. If done right, they could compete. However, I don't think an 11 a.m. newscast would work. It didn't work for WNYW. Instead WPIX should add either a hour-long 4 p.m. newscast or half-hour (or full-hour) 6 p.m. show.

I agree that the weekend morning newscast is a good idea however 11am doesn't seem that good of an idea especially after I realized that Jerry Springer is on at that time. Instead they should do an hour at 6pm.

They have an enormous talent problem and it starts at the top. New News Director Mark Effron is a disaster. He needs to go and his talent decisions need to be undone. Tamsen and Scott are not main news anchors. Suki overpowers her coanchor, meaning he isn't ready.

There are so many problems at this point, they really need to think about going in a completely different direction. Maybe a one man O'Reilly in your face format at 10. The news is finished, provide debate and perspective.

But all you are seeing right now will not be around in a year.

It seems interesting that WPIX didn't try to add midday and weekend morning newscasts before now. Especially, when you consider that Tribune's two other top-three market CW stations have newscasts in both timeslots (WGN's having lasted much longer). This would be the second go-around at midday though, didn't WPIX have a 12:30 p.m. newscast in the 1980s as part of the expansion of its Independent Network News to daytime?

The report says weekend morning newscasts are going to air from 6 to 9 a.m., but there's the matter of The CW's Vortexx block and PIX News Closeup. KTLA and WGN both end their Saturday morning newscasts at 7 a.m. to avoid bumping Vortexx to a later time or splitting it up into separate blocks (like what XETV does because of its Saturday morning news). I see Sunday as the only time where they could run it from 6-9 a.m. and PIX News Closeup would easily be bumped earlier or later to accomodate it.

He needs to go and his talent decisions need to be undone.

I disagree. His talent decisions have all been very good. Besides Tamsen and Suki, they have a really good team. And if you watch old PIX Morning News newscasts, Suki used to be very professional and a very good anchor. But besides those two, Marysol, Dan, Kori and Scott are all really good talent.

Suki overpowers her coanchor, meaning he isn't ready.

Or maybe she is just way to loud and overpowering...

I disagree. His talent decisions have all been very good. Besides Tamsen and Suki, they have a really good team. And if you watch old PIX Morning News newscasts, Suki used to be very professional and a very good anchor. But besides those two, Marysol, Dan, Kori and Scott are all really good talent.

Or maybe she is just way to loud and overpowering...

I agree with you about Suki being annoying and a bit of a "bully" and overpowering Kori, but, just curious, what do you see wrong about Tamsen? I personally think she does a fantastic job anchoring with Scott. They seem to have excellent chemistry.

I agree with you about Suki being annoying and a bit of a "bully" and overpowering Kori, but, just curious, what do you see wrong about Tamsen? I personally think she does a fantastic job anchoring with Scott. They seem to have excellent chemistry.

I like Tamsen, the only problem I have is her delivery during Breaking News is still to "light." Besides that she is a very good anchor.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived