NBC Winter Olympics

Action Newsroom

A rendering of a set for NBC's coverage of the Winter Olympics has been revealed.

As from NewscastStudio, the rendering is shown here, titled "Studio A".

nbcolympics_clickspring.jpg

Also included is a pic of a constructed "Studio A", as released via Twitter by Executive Producer Jim Bell.

BRO7z6xCEAIvty0.jpg

Sneak peek of our Sochi Olympic set coming together... In Rockland County. -Jim Bell (@jfb)

So, What do you guys think of the look?

I'm sure it's probably been this way for a while, but it sounds like the era of broadcasting from the site of the Olympics is pretty much over, unless we host an Olympics here of course. I'm guessing that nearly everything will be Olympics Broadcasting Service pool video, commentators watching the video here in the States on monitors, and wraparounds hosted from Studio A here in the States.

I'm sure it's probably been this way for a while, but it sounds like the era of broadcasting from the site of the Olympics is pretty much over, unless we host an Olympics here of course. I'm guessing that nearly everything will be Olympics Broadcasting Service pool video, commentators watching the video here in the States on monitors, and wraparounds hosted from Studio A here in the States.

To a certain extent, I think. There is also the question of safety with the recent bombings in Russia and the constant threat of terrorist attacks. The issue of safety also will be of concern in the 2016 games in Rio De Janeiro Brazil.

I think SNL's Studio 8H is where a lot of the play-by-play has been done in the past. They like break it up into a few areas, or something.

It's usually PBP for the less-watched events, like soccer matches shown on MSNBC during the Summer Olympics. The marquee events (track and field and swimming in the summer, figure skating in the winter) will have the commentators actually at the venues. NBC and the IOC are joined at the hip—no other broadcaster gives them nearly as much money as NBC. Rockland County is where the Stamford, CT headquarters of NBC Sports Network are located, so this is likely a set built for secondary coverage that will be carried on NBCSN or MSNBC. I'd expect those remote commentator booths to be in Stamford this time around instead of taking up space in 30 Rock.

NBC has spent too much money on the Olympics to not have Bob Costas anchor primetime coverage from a studio in the International Broadcast Center in the host city.

NBC does have a studio in Russia. Blackwalnut has been posting about the set build-out in "Studio A" at the IBC since November.

Michael P. Hill is just getting things mixed up like he usually does. These are two different sets.

The first image really looks like it's based off of the Football Night in America set, so I assume that'll be used stateside.

As for the feeds, all olympic broadcasters get the same standard IOC/OBS feed. It includes graphics, though I wonder if some are generated at NBC because some of the live event graphics differed from what appeared on the taped primetime coverage. Every in-event graphic is supposed to correspond to that style guide, though the national broadcaster can use their own graphics in some instances. (introductions, transitions, etc.) Usually, if it looks really nice, it's an NBC graphic, and if it looks really generic/crap it's the OBS graphics. :p

It's usually PBP for the less-watched events, like soccer matches shown on MSNBC during the Summer Olympics. The marquee events (track and field and swimming in the summer, figure skating in the winter) will have the commentators actually at the venues. NBC and the IOC are joined at the hip—no other broadcaster gives them nearly as much money as NBC. Rockland County is where the Stamford, CT headquarters of NBC Sports Network are located, so this is likely a set built for secondary coverage that will be carried on NBCSN or MSNBC. I'd expect those remote commentator booths to be in Stamford this time around instead of taking up space in 30 Rock.

NBC has spent too much money on the Olympics to not have Bob Costas anchor primetime coverage from a studio in the International Broadcast Center in the host city.

Costas will undoubtedly be hosting from Sochi, and like you said, the big events (figure skating) will have commentators on site. Stuff on the cable networks will be originating from the states... and like you said, they'll probably handle commentary from Stamford instead of turning 8H into multiple commentary booths.

• 3 weeks later...

Most of the coverage will take place in Sochi. Per NewscastStudio NBC has two studios in Sochi and the highlights factory will take place from NBC Sports HQ in Stamford, CT (previously they converted 8H at 30 Rock - with sound booths for highlights.)

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/73732/nbc-stamford-facility-to-help-power-sochi

Archived