Report: Shiba Russell and Sibila Vargas to swap Noon and 11pm Feb. 3rd

B2r4a6n

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Sibila a lot and agree these changes need to be made. At the same time, it sucks for Shiba if true...

I don't remember where I saw it but around the time Shiba was put on the 11 PM show it was mentioned she wasn't to thrilled because of the late hour she would be getting home and because of her daughter. So if she does move back to her former noon & 5 schedule, she would at least be home with her daughter at a decent time and be able to put her to bed, take her to school etc.

BTW just read that article all the way through. He is apparently confusing the name Shiba & Sibila lol.

This seems like optimistic news for WNBC! I think with time she will be the perfect replacement for Sue Simmons. Shiba just couldn't cut it. Sibilia seems more human and her ability to interact with the other talent is refreshing. As she becomes more comfortable at the station and more secured in her position I believe we will see her full personality come out. If you notice, they keep paring her with David Ushery.. Is there hope for David to get the coveted 11pm weekday slot?

I don't remember where I saw it but around the time Shiba was put on the 11 PM show it was mentioned she wasn't to thrilled because of the late hour she would be getting home and because of her daughter. So if she does move back to her former noon & 5 schedule, she would at least be home with her daughter at a decent time and be able to put her to bed, take her to school etc.

BTW just read that article all the way through. He is apparently confusing the name Shiba & Sibila lol.

I saw that too so maybe Shiba won't mind moving back to the earlier hours, I doubt she had any say in the matter however.

Before these changes take place I've always said that I feel that Tom would replace Chuck on the 11 PM shows as Tom & Shiba work well together, but now with these changes I can see David taking over the 6 & 11 PM shows once Chuck retires. For the time being perhaps in the future they could move Rob to the weekend anchor Today in New York desk, put Tom back on at noon, and move Contessa to weekend nights with David.

Before these changes take place I've always said that I feel that Tom would replace Chuck on the 11 PM shows as Tom & Shiba work well together, but now with these changes I can see David taking over the 6 & 11 PM shows once Chuck retires. For the time being perhaps in the future they could move Rob to the weekend anchor Today in New York desk, put Tom back on at noon, and move Contessa to weekend nights with David.

I don't think they would move Rob to weekends. However, I don't think this is the last of the anchor changes.

Well WCAU just switched some anchors around and KNBC just blew up their entire anchor line up so it won't be surprising if more changes come...however don't expect anything in the morning or anything to do with Chuck (yet, his contract is up towards the end of 2015). I do believe that David Ushery and even Gus Rosendale will get 11pm when Chuck retires before Tom. I don't think wnbc sees Tom as 11pm anchor material, don't get me wrong he's a very good anchor but someone like David who is older and has been around for over 20 years in the NYC market is more familiar to people. Also there have been reports about wnbc grooming Gus to one day take over as well. I also always felt like Tom wanted to move up to nbc news for some reason. I could see him anchoring weekend Today when Lestor retires one day (hopefully not soon.) One change I can see happening in the near future could be Contessa moving to weekend evening to replace Erika Tarental who left and wnbc putting Gus Rosendale on weekend Today in Ny with Pat. Gus really deserves to have some anchoring slot.

One things for sure and that's wnbc made the right call with swaping Shiba and Sibila, I just wonder how Shiba feels about this or if this has been the plan since wnbc hired Sibila back over the summer.

I don't think they would move Rob to weekends. However, I don't think this is the last of the anchor changes.

Your probably right. IMHO I feel like they pushed Tom off the noon shows to make way for Rob to have an anchor position.

Well WCAU just switched some anchors around and KNBC just blew up their entire anchor line up so it won't be surprising if more changes come...however don't expect anything in the morning or anything to do with Chuck (yet, his contract is up towards the end of 2015). I do believe that David Ushery and even Gus Rosendale will get 11pm when Chuck retires before Tom. I don't think wnbc sees Tom as 11pm anchor material, don't get me wrong he's a very good anchor but someone like David who is older and has been around for over 20 years in the NYC market is more familiar to people. Also there have been reports about wnbc grooming Gus to one day take over as well. I also always felt like Tom wanted to move up to nbc news for some reason. I could see him anchoring weekend Today when Lestor retires one day (hopefully not soon.) One change I can see happening in the near future could be Contessa moving to weekend evening to replace Erika Tarental who left and wnbc putting Gus Rosendale on weekend Today in Ny with Pat. Gus really deserves to have some anchoring slot.

One things for sure and that's wnbc made the right call with swaping Shiba and Sibila, I just wonder how Shiba feels about this or if this has been the plan since wnbc hired Sibila back over the summer.

Shiba is probably happy to have her former schedule as it enables her to at least be home with her daughter at a reasonable time as opposed to her current schedule now where she gets home probably after midnight. Also with Shiba she's a single parent as opposed to Sibila Vargas who is married and can rely on her husband to be with their kids when Sibila goes back to work for the 11 PM shows. I don't remember where I saw it but apparently at the beginning when Shiba was put on the 11 PM shows she wasn't to thrilled about it because of getting home at the late hour. Also the difference between WNBC & KNBC is WNBC is just switching anchors around, whereas KNBC fired 2 anchors, fired the morning traffic reporter, demoted the former weekday morning meteorologist, and demoted 2 weekend anchors to reporting while promoting the new weekend guy to anchor weekend mornings and Saturday evenings at 5 & 6.

Okay I've said this a million times before, but if David is being groomed as Chuck's replacement, why is he on weekends? Same for Gus, why is he reporting or as it appears will be soon anchoring weekend Today in NY? David was once on weekday evenings and got demoted! I don't see any of them taking over for Chuck. It will either be Tom or Rob.

I would just point out, it is not official yet. (but likely and a good decision)

Your probably right. IMHO I feel like they pushed Tom off the noon shows to make way for Rob to have an anchor position.

Thats exactly what happened.

Okay I've said this a million times before, but if David is being groomed as Chuck's replacement, why is he on weekends? Same for Gus, why is he reporting or as it appears will be soon anchoring weekend Today in NY? David was once on weekday evenings and got demoted! I don't see any of them taking over for Chuck. It will either be Tom or Rob.

I agree. If they wanted Gus or David to be on weekdays, they wouldn't have hired Rob. The future of WNBC is Rob, Tom, Shiba and Sibila.

I agree I've seen Tom filling in for Chuck on the 11 PM shows more often then David and have never seen Gus filling in for Chuck, so me thinks that Tom will be the one to take over for Chuck on the 11 PM and Rob will be the one to take over for Chuck on the 6 PM.

I would just point out, it is not official yet. (but likely and a good decision)

Thats exactly what happened.

I agree. If they wanted Gus or David to be on weekdays, they wouldn't have hired Rob. The future of WNBC is Rob, Tom, Shiba and Sibila.

In the future (a few years down the road) It would probably be something like this :

Noon: Shiba & Rob

5 PM: Shiba & Tom

6 PM: Sibila & Rob

11 PM: Sibila & Tom.

BTW the 7 PM show are they ever gonna have a permanent anchor for that show? Or just continue with that rotational anchor thing?

In the future (a few years down the road) It would probably be something like this :

Noon: Shiba & Rob

5 PM: Shiba & Tom

6 PM: Sibila & Rob

11 PM: Sibila & Tom.

BTW the 7 PM show are they ever gonna have a permanent anchor for that show? Or just continue with that rotational anchor thing?

I agree with all of this. And probably just rotating anchors. No point in hiring someone to anchor a newscast not many people watch (not as much as on channel 4.)

I would like WNBC to move the News at 7pm back to channel 4 and maybe have David anchor that. I really think NYC needs a 7pm newscast (not on some distant channel.)

I like Shiba and think she does a great job anchoring, however in my opinion I believe the reason alot of people don't much care for her is because of her being promoted to the weekday anchoring position less then what 6 - 7 months after joining the station as weekend anchor and being tapped as Sue Simmons replacement when she retired...errrr I mean when her contract wasn't renewed.

http://tunedinnyc.com/2013/08/30/sibila-vargas-in-is-shiba-russell-on-the-way-out-at-wnbc/

This was one of the articles that called it back when it was announced Sibila had been hired.

I don't think Shiba is leaving rather they are just moving her around. Basically in a couple weeks Sibila will be taking over Sue Simmons former schedule of anchoring at 6 & 11 PM, and Shiba is moving back to her former noon & 5 PM timeslot. Let's not forget WNBC basically just thrusted Shiba into the 11 PM slot when Sue Simmons left.

I like Shiba and think she does a great job anchoring, however in my opinion I believe the reason alot of people don't much care for her is because of her being promoted to the weekday anchoring position less then what 6 - 7 months after joining the station as weekend anchor and being tapped as Sue Simmons replacement when she retired...errrr I mean when her contract wasn't renewed.

Shiba is very attractive and capable anchor.I have tried my best to warm up to her, but she comes off as cold and impersonal.

One has to feel for Shiba. WNBC hailed her as the heir-apparent to Sue (while Sue was still there), thus creating animosity. They are to blame. While a lot of that animosity has since worn off, it is still in the back of viewers heads. A lot of the criticism she received was unfair. However, it is very clear that the chemistry with Shiba and Chuck is sorely lacking.

That being said, SibiLa is a fantastic anchor and has great chemistry with Chuck and the team. She does inject a lot more personality into the newscast than Shiba did. She will fit in well on the 11pm.

Sheba is too old and not enough sex appeal.( Cleavage, Legs, etc.)

What do you mean Shiba is too old? She is only 38 while Sibila is 45. But your basically saying Shiba isn't a good anchor because she doesn't dress like a hooker or have her boobs hanging out of her shirt on the air? Perhaps Shiba has respect for the viewers and don't want people to think she's dressing like a prostitute as a tv news anchor.

One has to feel for Shiba. WNBC hailed her as the heir-apparent to Sue (while Sue was still there), thus creating animosity. They are to blame. While a lot of that animosity has since worn off, it is still in the back of viewers heads. A lot of the criticism she received was unfair. However, it is very clear that the chemistry with Shiba and Chuck is sorely lacking.

That being said, SibiLa is a fantastic anchor and has great chemistry with Chuck and the team. She does inject a lot more personality into the newscast than Shiba did. She will fit in well on the 11pm.

Agree and I feel like Shiba & Tom work well together, while Sibila & Chuck work well together.

Archived