Report: Shiba Russell and Sibila Vargas to swap Noon and 11pm Feb. 3rd

B2r4a6n

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just hope for Shiba's sake she sees this as a relief because now she gets to work during the day when her daughter is probably at school and dosent have to worry about all the criticism that came from taking over for Sue Simmons. The fact of the matter is that Shiba/Tom has chemistry as well as Chuck/Sibila, unfortunately Chuck/Shiba did not click. I know wnbc is known for not moving anchors too much (they had the same anchor team for 32 years!) but I am glad they are making moves for the sake of ratings and unfortunately for Shiba ratings didn't get any better. That being said Shiba and Sibila are both great anchors and kudos to wnbc for making this moving which will hopefully benefit both sides.

Well, I'm happy for the switch. I take Sibila over Shiba any day of the week. Truthfully, I never like Shiba at all. As someone stated very precisely, Shiba comes off as very cold and impersonal. Plus, she injects nothing to the newscast, she seems like she's just reading off the TelePrompTer, it's clear she has no chemistry with the rest of the cast, she's boring, dull and truthfully, she's not made for this market, while Sibila is everything she's not. So, I know after the 3rd, I will be watching their 6 and 11 newscast without no problems. I hope that someday David gets a shot, because he's a hell of an anchor and he deserves a chance.

Well, I'm happy for the switch. I take Sibila over Shiba any day of the week. Truthfully, I never like Shiba at all. As someone stated very precisely, Shiba comes off as very cold and impersonal. Plus, she injects nothing to the newscast, she seems like she's just reading off the TelePrompTer, it's clear she has no chemistry with the rest of the cast, she's boring, dull and truthfully, she's not made for this market, while Sibila is everything she's not. So, I know after the 3rd, I will be watching their 6 and 11 newscast without no problems. I hope that someday David gets a shot, because he's a hell of an anchor and he deserves a chance.

I watch Shiba alot and I don't see her coming off as cold and inpersonal don't understand why people have such a big problem with her. Both Shiba & Sibila are very likeable and do great on both newscasts they anchor. And if you think David is gonna have a chance at the weeknight anchor slot think again. He's already been demoted and they use Tom & Rob more often then David as evening fill-ins. It's either going to Tom or Rob to replace Chuck once he retires. I was going to add that I've seen Shiba & Chuck getting ready for the 11 PM show before (Sometimes you can see them getting ready if you watch the 7 PM newscast online and leave the browser open) and many times I've seen Shiba try to interact with Chuck try to talk to him etc and he just blows her off or barley talks to her at all to me thats cold and impersonal. I know Chuck is well respected anchor in the NY market however he shouldn't be upset it's not Shibas fault she was thrusted into the 11 PM slot.

I watch Shiba alot and I don't see her coming off as cold and inpersonal don't understand why people have such a big problem with her. Both Shiba & Sibila are very likeable and do great on both newscasts they anchor. And if you think David is gonna have a chance at the weeknight anchor slot think again. He's already been demoted and they use Tom & Rob more often then David as evening fill-ins. It's either going to Tom or Rob to replace Chuck once he retires. I was going to add that I've seen Shiba & Chuck getting ready for the 11 PM show before (Sometimes you can see them getting ready if you watch the 7 PM newscast online and leave the browser open) and many times I've seen Shiba try to interact with Chuck try to talk to him etc and he just blows her off or barley talks to her at all to me thats cold and impersonal. I know Chuck is well respected anchor in the NY market however he shouldn't be upset it's not Shibas fault she was thrusted into the 11 PM slot.

I never said that David was going to get a chance at the anchor job... There's a reason why I stated "I hope that someday" meaning a wishful thought, even though your point has already been stated before and understood, so thanks for stating a redundant point. Secondly, even with other anchors, Shiba is truthfully not great. I don't care if she's with Chuck or Tom or David (she fairs a little better with him... But then again. Who doesn't?), she still comes off as impersonal, cold, robotic, dull and truthfully, she brings no energy at all to the newscast. To me, it feels as if she's just reading off the teleprompter and even on the lighter pieces, she still comes off very stiff and forceful, where as Sibila is the complete opposite of her.

Hopefully the change will help her out and in the process we might see a much different Shiba that we've never seeing before. But for now, IF they decided to let her go, in my opinion, I wouldn't be miss her one bit.

I never said that David was going to get a chance at the anchor job... There's a reason why I stated "I hope that someday" meaning a wishful thought, even though your point has already been stated before and understood, so thanks for stating a redundant point. Secondly, even with other anchors, Shiba is truthfully not great. I don't care if she's with Chuck or Tom or David (she fairs a little better with him... But then again. Who doesn't?), she still comes off as impersonal, cold, robotic, dull and truthfully, she brings no energy at all to the newscast. To me, it feels as if she's just reading off the teleprompter and even on the lighter pieces, she still comes off very stiff and forceful, where as Sibila is the complete opposite of her.

Hopefully the change will help her out and in the process we might see a much different Shiba that we've never seeing before. But for now, IF they decided to let her go, in my opinion, I wouldn't be miss her one bit.

Well whatever I don't think Shiba comes off as cold or impersonal as you imply I think she does a good job as does Sibila. And anybody in the news industry reads off the teleprompter it's nothing new. Personally I think people have a problem with Shiba getting a 11 PM time slot rather Shiba herself. Let's not forget they don't pick what newscasts they wanna anchor rather it's what management wants to put them at. But if we wanna talk about anchors who come off as cold and impersonal then okay let's talk about Chuck he comes off as cold, rude, impersonal, forces a smile, doesn't warm up to Shiba so the problem here is Chuck not getting his way not Shiba.

Well whatever I don't think Shiba comes off as cold or impersonal as you imply I think she does a good job as does Sibila. And anybody in the news industry reads off the teleprompter it's nothing new. Personally I think people have a problem with Shiba getting a 11 PM time slot rather Shiba herself. Let's not forget they don't pick what newscasts they wanna anchor rather it's what management wants to put them at. But if we wanna talk about anchors who come off as cold and impersonal then okay let's talk about Chuck he comes off as cold, rude, impersonal, forces a smile, doesn't warm up to Shiba so the problem here is Chuck not getting his way not Shiba.

I'm not disputing that people in that position read off a teleprompter... But I know that people that work on that field or are a professional at what they do, they are thought like many others to not just read off the teleprompter... But also you're supposed to be talking to your audience and try to relate the news in a personal way as much as you can. You are supposed to relay that information as if you were talking directly to someone, instead of just reading it. But, Can Shiba do that? From her line of work, the answer is NO. And Chuck is not the problem either... Because I see those same patterns even when she works with Tom or at times with David as well. Is she having problems with them as well? I will agree with you that Chuck can be that way sometimes as Shiba, but at least he puts some sort of effort to appeal to the viewer, something that clearly Shiba fails to do so at any times.

Hopefully the change will help her out and maybe things will get much better, but for now, I honestly can't stand watching her at all.

I'm not disputing that people in that position read off a teleprompter... But I know that people that work on that field or are a professional at what they do, they are thought like many others to not just read off the teleprompter... But also you're supposed to be talking to your audience and try to relate the news in a personal way as much as you can. You are supposed to relay that information as if you were talking directly to someone, instead of just reading it. But, Can Shiba do that? From her line of work, the answer is NO. And Chuck is not the problem either... Because I see those same patterns even when she works with Tom or at times with David as well. Is she having problems with them as well? I will agree with you that Chuck can be that way sometimes as Shiba, but at least he puts some sort of effort to appeal to the viewer, something that clearly Shiba fails to do so at any times.

Hopefully the change will help her out and maybe things will get much better, but for now, I honestly can't stand watching her at all.

True and we can't forget she was basically just thrusted into her current time slot after Sue left so perhaps she wasn't ready. But in any event I'm sure she'll improve with time.

That's so true. If you really go and examine the problem. People was upset Shiba was the Heir Apparent to Sue and that's also happening at Today now with Savannah. When in actuality, she was alright the times I seen her. How much personality do you want when you are reading the news. You cant just be grinning and smiling when you read a story about someone getting shot. I'm in the news business and also know a lot of what has happen at WNBC and from someone from the outside looking in neither Shiba or Chuck was the problem at 11 p.m., it is some real low down things that happening so even when Sibila gets the 11 p.m. that doesn't means ratings are going to drastically change even if she has better chemistry with Chuck. So before people jump on Shiba, understands there are layers to the story that no one from the outside really knows.

Since everyone's talking about Shiba, I decided to watch WNBC today at 5pm (I don't watch WNBC often). I don't know if she only does this with Tom, but personally, I thought she was a fantastic anchor. She was funny, she talked to Tom multiple times throughout the newscast, made jokes, interacted with the audience, etc. The few times I have watched Chuck, he always did seem dry, even when he was by himself. Although I think Shiba did a good job during today's 5PM news, I still think Sibila ought to replace her, as she seems to have more experience and seems like she brings more fun to the newscast. But still, In my opinion, Shiba is not bad by any means.

That's so true. If you really go and examine the problem. People was upset Shiba was the Heir Apparent to Sue and that's also happening at Today now with Savannah. When in actuality, she was alright the times I seen her. How much personality do you want when you are reading the news. You cant just be grinning and smiling when you read a story about someone getting shot. I'm in the news business and also know a lot of what has happen at WNBC and from someone from the outside looking in neither Shiba or Chuck was the problem at 11 p.m., it is some real low down things that happening so even when Sibila gets the 11 p.m. that doesn't means ratings are going to drastically change even if she has better chemistry with Chuck. So before people jump on Shiba, understands there are layers to the story that no one from the outside really knows.

See I can't imagine having to have to be all cheery and happy when you gotta read a story about someone being shot and keep your composure. There's stories where it's okay to be cheerful and happy, but then there's also the serious stories where you gotta have your serious side even if sometimes you may come across as cold which I'm sure that isn't any of their intention at all.

Even though management is swapping Shiba & Sibila at 11 there must be something that they must like about Shiba to at least keep her on weekdays instead of demoting her back to weekends. Heck If I remember correctly she was only a weekend anchor/general assignment reporter for what 6 months and then got a weekday timeslot. Even though some may not like her she must be doing something right.

Since everyone's talking about Shiba, I decided to watch WNBC today at 5pm (I don't watch WNBC often). I don't know if she only does this with Tom, but personally, I thought she was a fantastic anchor. She was funny, she talked to Tom multiple times throughout the newscast, made jokes, interacted with the audience, etc. The few times I have watched Chuck, he always did seem dry, even when he was by himself. Although I think Shiba did a good job during today's 5PM news, I still think Sibila ought to replace her, as she seems to have more experience and seems like she brings more fun to the newscast. But still, In my opinion, Shiba is not bad by any means.

You hit the nail right on the head on this one, Its not that Shiba is a bad anchor its just that her chemistry with Tom is much better than with Chuck. Also its not that Chuck is the problem either because him and Sibila have had good chemistry since day one, this decision is based on switching things up for sweeps and seeing how it goes, especially if Shiba didn't really prefer the late hours.

Archived