February 2014 sweeps: Who'll come out on top???

johnnya2k6

The first sweeps period of 2014 is officially underway, and this is when all the local stations in markets large and small fight for survival...well, ratings survival.

As evidenced by the brutal snowstorm we had here in Atlanta, stations that are not WSB had their presence known during the last day and a half of coverage. But WXIA, as with all other NBC stations, are coming in with their ultimate weapons: The Winter Olympics in Sochi, and the new NBC late night with Jimmy Fallon and Seth Meyers. Thanks to The Voice and Sunday Night Football, they finished at a very strong #2 in December in primetime, having come so damn close to ending WSB's long reign once and for all (WXIA garnered 67,225 viewers in the 25-54s; WSB, 69,914).

WAGA came in third, but this sweeps, they've got the Super Bowl and American Idol. The latter continues to be low-rated despite the return of Jennifer Lopez, but the battle between them and WXIA will come down to the wire.

Finally, there's WGCL. They went from third in November back to fourth in December also in primetime, and I'm afraid it'll stay that way.

Of course WSB will remain undefeated, but it'll be somewhat challenging as the Oscars won't be till March 2 with Dancing With The Stars to follow later. At least the return of Scandal will tide them over.

In Anchorage, they're starting to warm up to the new KTVA; but even with the powerhouse CBS primetime lineup, they've still got a long way to go to dethrone good ol' KTUU (they've been the top ratings dog in Anchorage since 1986, not as long as WSB). And that's all we know, since NBC will remain the #1 primetime network in both Anchorage and Fairbanks.

Meanwhile...WCVB will continue to be dominant in Boston, the Olympics will help WTVJ surge to #2 (behind WPLG) in Miami, and KTVT (Dallas) and WRC (Washington) will remain the top CBS and NBC O&Os both respectively and in their markets.

A lot of things will come into play this sweeps, especially with the aforementioned Olympics. Who else in the country could also be going for the ratings gold?

I think the Olympics will be a boost to WXXV's NBC station. WXXV is competing against WLOX and with ABC's ratings in the toilet and CBS expected to lose Feb. sweeps to NBC, I think WXXV will have a lot to gain. I just hope they schedule their newscasts to take advantage of the games. And WXXV's FOX feed will be boosted by the Super Bowl... but WXXV doesn't currently schedule news on the weekends.

Here, WOAI, only because of the Olympics. WOAI loves when the Olympics happen because this is literally the only time they manage to get significant viewership. But they don't maintain those viewers, once the Olympics are over they go right back over to KSAT. KSAT is the ten-ton gorilla here and they will probably win when the Olympics are not a lead-in on 4, such as 5 and 6pm.

It's going to be KPNX in Phoenix, not only because of the Winter Olympics factor but because of NBC's recent return to viability and the continued strength of their news product.

The February book could also be the last one before a potential KTVK/KPHO consolidation, so that will be interesting to see how the stations fare.

I expect this to be one of the least-viewed Olympics telecasts of recent memory. There is no buzz about them. However, NBC will still do fine with the games.

I think there's a lot of negative publicity with the terrorists in and around Sochi. I don't want to speculate whether something will actually happen, but I think that because of all the negative press, a lot may not tune in. Or maybe more will tune in because they think something will happen.

In either case you're right to an extent. There's buzz, just not positive buzz.

Atlanta- WSB will win all news coverage AM, Noon, 4,5, 6, 11pm. WXIA will be #1 in primetime with NBC Coverage of the Olympics and their news ratings will inch up. It seems every time they air the Olympics air they do well and sell out alot of ad space.

Detroit- WDIV will win hands down 4,5, 6,11pm. WXYZ will win 5-7AM, Noon and WJBK will win 7-9am FOX 2 News Morning.

New Orleans- WWL win news coverage and WDSU and WVUE will tie for #2.

Minneapolis- WCCO will win news coverage but KARE will be a strong #2 fending off KSTP & KMSP

Columbus, OH- WBNS will news coverage AM, Noon, 5,6,11pm WCMH will be a strong #2 fending off WSYX surge for #2.

Norfolk-Newport News- WAVY & WVEC tight race

Richmond, VA- WWBT 12 win hands down in all newscast

West Palm Beach- WPTV will win followed by WPBF for #2

Guest NewsHound

In Augusta, Georgia:

WRDW (CBS) will once again dethrone WJBF (ABC) in evening newscasts, but they will be third in mornings behind WJBF and WAGT (NBC).

WJBF will hurt in prime time with ABC's lineup being practically last place. CBS' long dominance in prime time won't help WRDW with late news, never really has.

I think with the Olympics on the way and the new late night lineup we may actually see WAGT take first in late news ratings for the first time in its 18 year history, and thats not totally deserved because their product is still absolute crap, despite sitting better than they were before the consolidation a few years ago and being run under WJBF's former ND, Mark Rosen, their talent needs a complete overhaul. In my honest opinion, they should have never lost Trent Butler, Bridgett Williams, and Stan Byrdy, because if they were still here WAGT would be a powerhouse.

Overall, we will see no change. WJBF will still be pretty much first, WRDW will be a very very close second by only a tiny couple of points, WAGT will somehow be a solid third instead of distant, like they usually are, and WFXG (FOX) and their WTOC Savannah-produced 10pm newscast will still be a distant dead last, even behind Jerry Springer on WRDW-DT2 (MyNetworkTV) and WJBF's 10pm newscast on WAGT-DT2 (CW Augusta).

A popular anchor team in this area is John Hart and Kimberely Scott, who once did the WJBF-produced 10pm for WFXG and now do 5:30 and 10pm on WJBF and CW Augusta respectfully. If Media General was smart, and we've seen that they are not, they would move Hart and Scott to anchor weeknights on WAGT.

This, however, will probably never happen, but would give the station a clear ratings boost if they ever did. At this point, the clearly tired and very dry Barclay Bishop that replaced the bubbly and energetic Liz Hill on WAGT in the morning, the "WGCL Stefany Fisher" of Augusta in Paige Tucker, the underrated Ashley Campbell on weekends, the sickening to watch Julie Meeks on weekend mornings and fill-in, their anchor lineup sucks. They have one sports anchor who seems to pull a 7-day shift, Brendan Robertson. Their weather team is probably the only thing they have going for them, and Chris Still who came here as Chief Meteorologist from WBTW a few years ago still has not warmed up all the way to viewers. Their reporting staff is a revolving door. They have the WCMH red circles graphics package and a very sophisticated FX Group set (probably the best I've seen from FX in a long time) but their delivery is horrible. Despite being a Schurz station, since joining forces under a LMA with WJBF, they brand as a Media General station, even with the Media General logo in the copyright close at the end.

My feeling is that something may eventually happen where WAGT will get purchased by Media General and WJBF will go up for sale, seeing as even though the resources are still being put into WJBF since their staff and delivery is impeccable, as of late it looks like corporate MG tends to favor the weaker WAGT. I sense a WIAT/WVTM happening here eventually, but we will just have to wait and see.

sanewsguy, on 30 Jan 2014 - 10:50 PM, said:

I think there's a lot of negative publicity with the terrorists in and around Sochi. I don't want to speculate whether something will actually happen, but I think that because of all the negative press, a lot may not tune in. Or maybe more will tune in because they think something will happen.

In either case you're right to an extent. There's buzz, just not positive buzz.

Add the threat of terrorism to accusations of corruption on the part of the Olympic organizers and the fact that Sochi is Russia's version of Miami Beach, and you've got a formula for disappointing Olympic ratings. They'll still beat the s*** out of anything else on TV for a few weeks in February, but they'll be way down compared to recent Games.

Add the threat of terrorism to accusations of corruption on the part of the Olympic organizers and the fact that Sochi is Russia's version of Miami Beach, and you've got a formula for disappointing Olympic ratings. They'll still beat the s*** out of anything else on TV for a few weeks in February, but they'll be way down compared to recent Games.

There is definitely a lot more negative press over these games than the Vancouver games back in 2010. The worst things back then were the lack of snow and overall lousy weather. Sochi has that plus the overall political controversy behind it all (terrorism, Putin, gay rights, etc.).

The other thing to considering is the time difference. Sochi is 9 hours ahead of the East Coast which means that most if not all of their coverage will be on a tape delay. There will definitely be less interest in these games compared to having the games just across the border from us. NBC lost money on the Vancouver games even though a lot of people turned in to watch it and I feel that NBC will lose even more money on these games. But I agree, it will still be the most watched thing in February outside of the Super Bowl because not much else is on this month.

There is definitely a lot more negative press over these games than the Vancouver games back in 2010. The worst things back then were the lack of snow and overall lousy weather. Sochi has that plus the overall political controversy behind it all (terrorism, Putin, gay rights, etc.).

The other thing to considering is the time difference. Sochi is 9 hours ahead of the East Coast which means that most if not all of their coverage will be on a tape delay. There will definitely be less interest in these games compared to having the games just across the border from us. NBC lost money on the Vancouver games even though a lot of people turned in to watch it and I feel that NBC will lose even more money on these games. But I agree, it will still be the most watched thing in February outside of the Super Bowl because not much else is on this month.

You just can't help but feel sorry for NBC that it has to go through this crap again. Although this time, no one (but us, of course) won't know of the reasons of this, and just blame it for every(little)thing they see, like why this event isn't live, or why Matt Laurer is there, or why that band is performing that song.

It's just an excuse to fire up the "#NBCFail" hastag again. Although this time, it won't be on just Twitter anymore.

You just can't help but feel sorry for NBC that it has to go through this crap again. Although this time, no one (but us, of course) won't know of the reasons of this, and just blame it for every(little)thing they see, like why this event isn't live, or why Matt Laurer is there, or why that band is performing that song.

It's just an excuse to fire up the "#NBCFail" hastag again. Although this time, it won't be on just Twitter anymore.

The Olympics have been a financial "loss" for NBC for a while now. They knew what they were getting into when they bid billions for them. So how can you feel sorry for them?

That's when the Internet will come into play once again; as they did with London, the complete Olympics (including the high-profile events like figure skating and skiing) will be seen LIVE -- no matter the time difference -- on the Live Extra site/app.

That's when the Internet will come into play once again; as they did with London, the complete Olympics (including the high-profile events like figure skating and skiing) will be seen LIVE -- no matter the time difference -- on the Live Extra site/app.

That would've never happened had Dick Ebersol still be running NBC Sports. He thought withholding these events until primetime would've been better for TV ratings.

Archived