NBC Artworks Graphics Refresh?

Jess

As we've seen, KNBC and KXAS got new looks coinciding with their respective moves to new facilities (and not coincidentally, the Winter Olympics). KNBC's version seems to be an update of what's now being called "Look Form" on the NBC Artworks site. KXAS seems to be more original, but both stations use very similar lower thirds.

WCAU looks to be next in line to switch, as they've finally redone their website to feature the correct logo, and have pushed out updates to their news and weather apps which feature redesigned splash screens that don't resemble what's currently being used on the air. WNBC is also using some of the redesigned elements.

So it looks like a refresh... I don't know if we can just give it a letter anymore since each station has been using their graphics in vastly different ways. I'll be sad to see WCAU's version of Look F go, honestly...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is the weather banner WVIT-TV here in Connecticut uses, well similar. WVIT uses a complete blue bar for text and different font.

And seem like NBC 4 Washington has incorporated the new OTS with the info lines today as well.

I really hope they change that font. Plus the white spinning background during forecasts and the 7 day looks really generic and fake.

Like 'News 9 Viewer' said, I hope to see NBC10 make this new look distinctive and different. That's one of the things I really like about them--they take full advantage of their customizable graphics package.

EDIT: Also, it seems like the First Alert Weather virtual set is now... interactive? I noticed when Sheena was presenting, whenever her hands go near any of the windows or the logo in the background, they highlight blue or yellow and can be touched, and the logo starts zooming in and out quickly. Or... maybe it's always been like this and I just really never noticed...?

EDIT: Also, it seems like the First Alert Weather virtual set is now... interactive? I noticed when Sheena was presenting, whenever her hands go near any of the windows or the logo in the background, they highlight blue or yellow and can be touched, and the logo starts zooming in and out quickly. Or... maybe it's always been like this and I just really never noticed...?

Yeah they had been testing it out for a little bit. I guess it went live today with the new graphics. All of the elements are touch sensitive so I guess they can do stuff with them

Yeah they had been testing it out for a little bit. I guess it went live today with the new graphics. All of the elements are touch sensitive so I guess they can do stuff with them

That's pretty cool. And a piece of trivia—NBC10 last updated their graphics on February 5, 2012:

Look at today's date... coincidence? 2012 was also an Olympics year, as is this year.

More importantly, Feb. 5, 2012 was when NBC had the Super Bowl.

The change from the old look to the new look was impressive. Not because the design was good - it was - but because they changed everything from the old logo to the new so seamlessly. I was convinced that there'd be more than a few Look C or old logo things sticking around... nope! Total housecleaning.

And I think the new logo was - is - fantastic. I could be pedantic and say "It finally says NBC10 and not 10NBC". But what I really liked is how they made the "10" the focal part, how they made the "10" look unique, and how they made the NBC logo present but subordinate to the 10. The 2012 logo is a fantastic design.

WCAU Launched their new look including new opens and unfortunately picked up LA Groove (new updates to it though). I'll have a compilation vid up when I get home from work today. Being in the wake of the big ice storm they haven't used many standard news graphics yet but it looks like a combo of the original look F and Look F 2.0 elements.

WHAT?

Why the hell would they go to F.1.0? I could see going to 2.0, but why step down?

The original design was made for the 2012 version of NBC 10, with Dennis Bianchi and Chris Blackman. That is a completely different station from the 2014 NBC 10. Plus the promo department was like its own ad agency - it's been folded into the station now. That and the promo director was let go...

I'm bummed too, but it still looks good and it's not as different from their heavily customized version. It's a sidegrade, really. If they can do two-line breaking news lower thirds, it's even an upgrade. But dammit, I'm gonna miss the 360 theme.

I am bit surprised that they didnt go with the updated L3's. It's a bit disappointing that they went with this version, considering what they had before. I guess that they're trying to get L.A. Groove on all the NBC O&O's.

The original design was made for the 2012 version of NBC 10, with Dennis Bianchi and Chris Blackman. That is a completely different station from the 2014 NBC 10. Plus the promo department was like its own ad agency - it's been folded into the station now. That and the promo director was let go...

I'm bummed too, but it still looks good and it's not as different from their heavily customized version. It's a sidegrade, really. If they can do two-line breaking news lower thirds, it's even an upgrade. But dammit, I'm gonna miss the 360 theme.

I always thought their week day promos were distinct. With these new graphics and new music... not so much. The weekend promos were slightly different anyway. Who was their promo director and when were they let go?

These new graphics--they're pretty disappointing. They're just so bland. And I just can't get over that font... I always hoped NBC10 would never adopt it.

So do you think they'll update their current studio, or just keep it until 2017 when they move out? I liked the blue background behind the set when it was brown before 2012--it was just warmer feeling and matched the graphics at that time.

I caught the last 15 minutes of the 11am online, and the 4pm-5pm when I got home on tv and I seriously don't like the change. I understand you wanna put your own stamp on something, but 10 had a signature sound, different from all others, and it's no longer there. The opening, the bumper, close, especially the "Breaking News" open/sounder just isn't right. New music sounds slow and boring and doesn't make me think 10. Just doesn't match the anchors energy, pace, and presentation.

L3's are bland. Don't like the font. The color below the bar isn't transparent at all compared to the old one. The time & temp isn't even centered under the logo.

The First Alert Weather opening & graphic pails in comparison to the old one. Only thing I like is the little peacock with the radar sweep in the L3 (for the breaking weather) and top during the weathercast. But the white graphic thing behind the 7 day is too plain, but I do like the actual 7 day graphics. Nice upgrade from the previous ones.

I understand them not touching the set, since they are moving relatively soon, but I like their set.

I'm seeing the phrase "Count on it" in their "Coming up at 5" promo at the bottom. Could this be their new slogan?

They also added a cam to the top of the Comcast Center. Nice touch.

I'm seeing the phrase "Count on it" in their "Coming up at 5" promo at the bottom. Could this be their new slogan?

I saw that 'Count on it' too. It seemed like their new slogan was 'On air, Online, On Your Mobile Device'. But I supposed that is no more. It hardly lasted--maybe four months?

Their set is still beautiful, but like you said, the music is too slow, and the graphics... bleh. NBC10 is no longer as unique as they had been the past two years. I really hope someone at WCAU would read this thread and revert back to their old graphics. But that's not gonna happen.

[yt]1Rt-i31_QGc[/yt]

I think they're still unique, and the stock "NEW INFORMATION", etc. graphics are better than what they had. But yeah - this is a bit of a downgrade.

But... do they still have a great news team? Do they still have great coverage and story ideas? Do they still have good anchors? Are they still crazy enough to do morning news at 3am? Yeah.

I'm letting that be solace because man, am I bummed. They should have at least kept the opens and music.

Also trying to remember they had a more severe graphical downgrade than this...

They could have done so much more with that open rather than waste it with a split screen of two different shots of their helicopter. Who wants to see that? Hell, devoting one half to the chopper and another have to some scene of the city would've worked wonderfully.

Also, what's with NBC's new found obsession love for LA Groove?

I dunno, none of this really makes sense. If NBC10 wanted to change the music OR the graphics, that'd be fine, but it's just too huge of a departure from what they had. The theme that made its way to Philly, Chicago and San Diego never really had a chance to get its foot in the door, and L.A. Groove is apparently the way of the past future. I also understand that the people in charge are different than in 2012, everyone has their own ideas (I've seen this first-hand).

Fine, but...

What happen to WCAU being the supposed flagship? I thought this station was re-imaged around idea that the executives would turn on the TV and be proud of their network. I get that new graphics were on the way, but why not the heavy updates seen in Los Angeles and Houston Dallas-Ft. Worth? They're fresh, new, and are very well-done.

2.0 versus 1.0? It should be a no-contest, yet this is what they put to air. And now, if they eventually switch to the updates, they only look indecisive or reckless.

:bang:

Archived