NBC Artworks Graphics Refresh?

Jess

LA Groove is overrated now, WNBC, KNBC, KNSD, KNTV and now WCAU? When will it end? Frankly I'm tired of seeing it everywhere, either bring back the NBC10 News Theme, the NBC Collection or NBC Premier or I'm going to go insane.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dunno, none of this really makes sense. If NBC10 wanted to change the music OR the graphics, that'd be fine, but it's just too huge of a departure from what they had. The theme that made its way to Philly, Chicago and San Diego never really had a chance to get its foot in the door, and L.A. Groove is apparently the way of the past future. I also understand that the people in charge are different than in 2012, everyone has their own ideas (I've seen this first-hand).

Fine, but...

What happen to WCAU being the supposed flagship? I thought this station was re-imaged around idea that the executives would turn on the TV and be proud of their network. I get that new graphics were on the way, but why not the heavy updates seen in Los Angeles and Houston? They're fresh, new, and are very well-done.

2.0 versus 1.0? It should be a no-contest, yet this is what they put to air. And now, if they eventually switch to the updates, they only look indecisive or reckless.

:bang:

Keep in mind, WCAU's look was so modified it was almost a completely different package. Lower thirds, full screens, weather graphics, segment opens, almost everything looked almost completely different. I don't know if people realized the extent to which they altered the package originally. I'm posting two galleries on HulkieD.com, one with the old, and one with the new.

The logic, at least that I can see, is that "let's move to something more polished". "More polished" would fit with the flagship idea. The more elegant font and lower thirds, which now transition (finally!), the shinier and not-obviously-looped backgrounds, the new transitions that aren't cheap reveals of ugly beveled text.

And who's saying there's a Look F 2.0? All we've seen is a new look for KXAS and a slight revision of KNBC's Look F to include KXAS-style lower thirds. Look F is still a very good look, updated, modified, or unmodified. It is not like when WCAU went to Novocom, which was a massive downgrade that took them years to recover from.

The only major downgrades are the opens - we're to one single open with a horriffic full-color NBC peacock in the background! - and the music, which had infinitely more variety than LA Groove does (yet WCAU seems to be using it a hell of a lot better than other stations). Part of me is thinking this might have been a rush job.

LA Groove is overrated now, WNBC, KNBC, KNSD, KNTV and now WCAU? When will it end? Frankly I'm tired of seeing it everywhere, either bring back the NBC10 News Theme, the NBC Collection or NBC Premier or I'm going to go insane.

I know how you feel. The shit will really hit the fan if WRC drop its 21-year Working For You logo for this tiredsome theme.....

I dunno, none of this really makes sense. If NBC10 wanted to change the music OR the graphics, that'd be fine, but it's just too huge of a departure from what they had. The theme that made its way to Philly, Chicago and San Diego never really had a chance to get its foot in the door, and L.A. Groove is apparently the way of the past future. I also understand that the people in charge are different than in 2012, everyone has their own ideas (I've seen this first-hand).

Fine, but...

What happen to WCAU being the supposed flagship? I thought this station was re-imaged around idea that the executives would turn on the TV and be proud of their network. I get that new graphics were on the way, but why not the heavy updates seen in Los Angeles and Houston? They're fresh, new, and are very well-done.

2.0 versus 1.0? It should be a no-contest, yet this is what they put to air. And now, if they eventually switch to the updates, they only look indecisive or reckless.

:bang:

oh and that Houston station, that's KPRC; did you mean Dallas/Fort Worth/Metroplex' KXAS ("The Texas News Channel")?

[yt]1Rt-i31_QGc[/yt]

I think they're still unique, and the stock "NEW INFORMATION", etc. graphics are better than what they had. But yeah - this is a bit of a downgrade.

But... do they still have a great news team? Do they still have great coverage and story ideas? Do they still have good anchors? Are they still crazy enough to do morning news at 3am? Yeah.

I'm letting that be solace because man, am I bummed. They should have at least kept the opens and music.

Also trying to remember they had a more severe graphical downgrade than this...

The first shot is of two angles of Sky Force 10? Tacky.

I'm hoping for a new set and graphics at the new building. Thank God they kept Steve Kamer voice over.

[yt]1Rt-i31_QGc[/yt]

I think they're still unique, and the stock "NEW INFORMATION", etc. graphics are better than what they had. But yeah - this is a bit of a downgrade.

But... do they still have a great news team? Do they still have great coverage and story ideas? Do they still have good anchors? Are they still crazy enough to do morning news at 3am? Yeah.

I'm letting that be solace because man, am I bummed. They should have at least kept the opens and music.

Also trying to remember they had a more severe graphical downgrade than this...

That Peacock in the open reminds me of the NBC bumper of the 90s that has the thing pop out and wiggle around in a creepy way before turning into the 2D regular logo. That scared the shit out of me when I was a kid, and probably still does to this day.

Where did this idea come from? Has someone received this information from within WCAU, or is it just a theory on this board?

No one said it was. Just the perception has been that it seems like since Comcast taken over, WCAU has gotten some rather preferential treatment from upstairs (downtown if you will) as if they were the flagship. That is all.

Where did this idea come from? Has someone received this information from within WCAU, or is it just a theory on this board?

The fact that Comcast is headquartered in Philadelphia, that WCAU seemed to be a big target of Comcast's investment upon buying NBC. The fact that NBC 10's product was visually differentiated from its sisters, much like WNBC was prior to the sale contributes to this theory, which is just that...ONLY a theory.

It's a theory I think too many of us took as fact. Neverthless, the NBC 10 News product has grown and improved tremendously under Eric Lerner and Anzio Williams. It's my preferred newscast these days. And it still is - because "graphics don't matter", as I was told years ago by one promotions producer. They still have the best product in the market.

....*sigh*...

JUST because ONE station changed its theme does not mean THE ENTIRE GROUP WILL GO TO IT. WMAQ may or may not go to the new theme. WCAU decided to. One station's decision to refresh their graphics, no matter how much we're not a fan of it, doesn't mean everyone's doing it.

Not meaning to get bitchy about it. Just that kind of day.

I don't think it's unreasonable to believe that some updates might be coming to Chicago and the other stations. I mean, with WCAU's "interesting" changes, KNBC's makeover and the fact that WNBC seems poised to make a move at any moment, I wouldn't be surprised if WMAQ got in on the fun. That said, this is NBC5 we're talking about. I'm not holding my breath.

No one said it was. Just the perception has been that it seems like since Comcast taken over, WCAU has gotten some rather preferential treatment from upstairs (downtown if you will) as if they were the flagship. That is all.

I was asking because it was being stated on the forum, just so you know where I was coming from when I read the latest flagship comment above. There's no problem with conjecture, but please don't talk like this stuff is solid if not known to be such.

So even with CSN taking over sports, Comcast is still adding people to their flagship station.

With WCAU being in Philly, it's obvious why. I know that WNBC is the network flagship, but would it be safe to say that WCAU is the Comcast flagship?

Pretty much. I've been told by various people on numerous occasions that when corporate shows off NBC to prospective clients/partners they use WCAU.

It's a theory I think too many of us took as fact. Neverthless, the NBC 10 News product has grown and improved tremendously under Eric Lerner and Anzio Williams. It's my preferred newscast these days. And it still is - because "graphics don't matter", as I was told years ago by one promotions producer. They still have the best product in the market.

From what I've seen recently I definitely agree with that assessment. NBC 10 puts out the best product in the market. CBS3 is lost, 6ABC is stale, and Fox 29 is well...yeah; although Good Day Philadelphia is truly the best Morning Newscast in Philly IMO..

The graphics are ok, Im used to seeing Look F on WRC & WNBC I won't complain about that. "LA Groove" is here to stay like it or not. The only tweaking 'cau needs to do is change that boring open.

So, about what I said above about new people:

In 2008, NBC 10 spun off their creative services division into a separate unit called Studio TEN Creative Group. Studio TEN would produce marketing materials and advertising for outside companies. They would also produce programming for Nonstop as well as handle WCAU's promotions. The good thing is, this spared them from the wholesale outsourcing of creative to the outside agency in New York that didn't know what they were doing. Therefore, they didn't get the horrible "I AM NEW YORK" style promos. They managed to produce a campaign that managed to convey what Mother New York was trying to do at the other stations.

They obviously were producing stuff for their version of "Look E", presuming that's the name of the dropped generic block look. Most of the footage used in their 2011 Look C revision and the 2012 stuff came from that. They were also apparently given free reign with Look F. I'd estimate that maybe 15-20% of what they were using was genuine Look F. The obviously-looped background peacock animation and some of the stingers are definitely from in-house. (Studio TEN loved bevels on text, which is how you can tell.)

With Comcast restoring creative services departments, and the demise of Nonstop, there wasn't a need for a Studio TEN. It's apparently been folded back into WCAU, and two key members - Lauren Bacigalupi and Henry Vazquez - departed.

Apprently someone - station-level or group level - wanted a more polished look. They chose the full Look F. It does look a lot more professional than what they were using, I have to admit.

From what I've seen recently I definitely agree with that assessment. NBC 10 puts out the best product in the market. CBS3 is lost, 6ABC is stale, and Fox 29 is well...yeah; although Good Day Philadelphia is truly the best Morning Newscast in Philly IMO..

The graphics are ok, Im used to seeing Look F on WRC & WNBC I won't complain about that. "LA Groove" is here to stay like it or not. The only tweaking 'cau needs to do is change that boring open.

I'm hoping they do too. If only that ending shot, because having the logo on a full-color peacock in the backdrop looks hideous. They've shown - recently - that they can play with the opens, so I'm not ruling that out.

As for Fox 29... I'm gonna make a thread on this...

...but Fox 29 is the second best station, quality-wise, after 10. Even counting their straight newscasts.

Yup... 'Count on It' is NBC10's new slogan. Just saw a fast paced promo during Access Hollywood with their anchors and reporters saying 'Count on It!' 'Count on It!'

:p This is as vague as "When it Matters to You, it Matters to Us." What is 'it' and why does it matter?

:p This is as vague as "When it Matters to You, it Matters to Us." What is 'it' and why does it matter?

Exactly. NBC10 is starting to disappoint me. It seems to me they're beginning to take a step backwards. The two promos I saw tonight are... well, cheesy. I think their 'On Air, Online, On Your Mobile Device' campaign that lasted about four months was one of the few campaigns that actually made sense. They really started pushing their mobile apps and live streaming experience. Plus they didn't repeat the slogan multiple times in the same commercial. That's just annoying.

I don't know if "on TV, online, on your mobile device".

Also, have not seen the promo, but "Count on it" can be used different ways.

Breaking News? Count on it.

SkyForce 10? Count on it.

Accurate Weather? Count on it.

NBC10. Count on it.

I personally wish they'd bring back "Whatever It Takes", which they used not long after going NBC, because it fits their personality. But whatever.

From four years and a winter olympics ago:

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/on-air/as-seen-on/Turn_to_10__Give_People_What_They_Want_Philadelphia.html

Promo endboards were based on that campaign, and they didn't have any NBC 10 logo whatsoever. Just the peacock.

The one "Count on It" promo I saw was the weather one, and that used the virtual weather studio to basically its fullest. So it's still local and unique in that respect. It's better than what they were running during London, that's for damn sure.

Archived