NBC Artworks Graphics Refresh?

Jess

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From four years and a winter olympics ago:

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/on-air/as-seen-on/Turn_to_10__Give_People_What_They_Want_Philadelphia.html

Promo endboards were based on that campaign, and they didn't have any NBC 10 logo whatsoever. Just the peacock.

The one "Count on It" promo I saw was the weather one, and that used the virtual weather studio to basically its fullest. So it's still local and unique in that respect. It's better than what they were running during London, that's for damn sure.

Whoa! Saw some 'More Colorful' elements in there.

Isn't this what they ran during the 2012 London Olympics?

Whoa! Saw some 'More Colorful' elements in there.

It was the beginning of what would have been the worst standardization in history had it gone through.

The plan was to give every station an identical "block logo", eliminated Creative Services Departments (10 was lucky that it spun theirs off), outsource to New York. And outside of news, ALL programming - syndicated or not - would be "NBC". There would be no local branding outside of newscasts.

Seriously - The old John Wallace NBC Local Media management snuck it onto KNSD the day before Comcast took over. Stations had elements ready to go.

Wait. ER had a news promo?

...you haven't seen the John Bolaris/Hurricane Schwartz Seinfeld routine promos. Literally they used the restaurant from Seinfeld.

That promo's just been sitting on their website like that for almost four years now? Wow...

You'd be SURPRISED to see what still lurks in the video archives of many stations. Just because they go off the videos page doesn't mean they disappear. They never do.

It was the beginning of what would have been the worst standardization in history had it gone through.

The plan was to give every station an identical "block logo", eliminated Creative Services Departments (10 was lucky that it spun theirs off), outsource to New York. And outside of news, ALL programming - syndicated or not - would be "NBC". There would be no local branding outside of newscasts.

Seriously - The old John Wallace NBC Local Media management snuck it onto KNSD the day before Comcast took over. Stations had elements ready to go.

If you've ever seen the demo montage of Look G on NBC Artworks' site, then you will know that Look G was the graphics package going to launch in this debacle.

Presented alsofor discussion: http://www.360musicproduction.com/nbcono/

THAT was the look they were going to launch with. That was what San Diego had.

EDIT: It's certainly possible that the above look was dubbed "Look G" at some point. When NBC launched the hub, "Look A" was what we call the Novocom look. When Artworks created their own graphics package in 2005 to replace the Novocom look, the new package took on the "Look A" moniker. (It probably helps that Look A and Novocom have visible similarities.)

Presented alsofor discussion: http://www.360musicproduction.com/nbcono/

THAT was the look they were going to launch with. That was what San Diego had.

EDIT: It's certainly possible that the above look was dubbed "Look G" at some point. When NBC launched the hub, "Look A" was what we call the Novocom look. When Artworks created their own graphics package in 2005 to replace the Novocom look, the new package took on the "Look A" moniker. (It probably helps that Look A and Novocom have visible similarities.)

Pretty sure he KNSD/Nonstop package was Look E.

Look F/Form and Look G were rolled out concurrently.

Btw, I really don't get the hate on LA Groove. Can someone rationally explain it?

As far as I'm concerned, I don't think it's so much "hate" as it is disappointment; not with the theme per se, but the themes it replaces on some of the O&O stations: the NBC O&O Package (WCAU and KNSD,) and the NBC Collection (WNBC). LA Groove is a good package, but it seems like NBC is trying to get LA Groove to become the official O&O theme music, even if it likely won't become that package.

I don't know why anyone would be upset about anything replacing NBC Collection/New Gen. That package annoyed the hell out of me. I still think NYC made the right call on adopting that one - it sounds more like the type of theme you'd expect on WNBC (the 2003 theme, the Kalehoff stuff).

As for us, it replaced a really excellent music package - easily the best 10 had since the original 1998 NBC 10 signature music. There was so much variety, so many awesome cuts, that it really did create a distinctive station-level sound.

That being said, at least they're a.) using it in the proper key and b.) trying to use as many cuts as they can. @Issue closed with a really nice, somber version of the theme I believe.

Graphics... after a few days I will admit they are much improved. I do like the serif typeface - it makes it distinct, especially when you have other stations on Gotham. They introduced new maps with this package, and the lowers finally transition in and out. It's a much, much more polished look for them, and even if it is what the other stations are using, it's not a bad look by any means. It's not an upgrade or a downgrade - it's a sidegrade. As long as 10's product remains as strong as it's been, I will still be turning to them.

Count on it.

*runs*

I hate that new font. I don't even understand why I hate it, but I do. Perhaps it's the combo of a serif and all caps?

Also, the overwhelmingly red color scheme just wants to scream "emergency" or "breaking news" to me. Every piece of news is not emergency or breaking.

Okay, it takes me a few days to process graphics packages. And yes, I was bummed that the locally-modified version was lost.

But after a few days of seeing it on 10.... I really like this look. I mean, I REALLY like it. And, well, I might just say it:

It's a hell of an improvement over the Look F we had. I don't know why everyone is bitching. These graphics are awesome.

As for the serif font, I came in expecting to hate it. I think it's one of the actual strengths of the package. It complements Gotham nicely, it doesn't feel overused, and most of all, it's readable and easy on the eyes. The lower thirds look a hell of a lot nicer now, and that's not just because they can transition in and out. I think 10's version strikes the right balance between Gotham and Daily News. It's what CBS has been trying to do but not quite achieving.

There seems to be a bit more they can do on the full screens and OTSes as well. Granted, they were doing pretty good before, but I think the more refined look helps a bit.

While we're thinking of 10 standing out as far as all of the NBC stations, I think the most important thing is that 10 should look different from the other stations in the market. 6ABC has flying technicolor 3D graphics. 3 in some places tries to ape the old Studio TEN version of Look F. Fox 29 has to look like Fox. WCAU STILL STANDS OUT. Why? Because they've gone to a more elegant and sophisticated look while the other stations rely on flying graphics and bombastic music. It looks like the quality news alternative that it is.

I have to quote the Stones here:

You can't always get what you want... but if you try sometimes, you might just find... you get what you need.

Archived