Granite sells stations to Scripps & Quincy.

CircleSeven

Yes, you summed it up best. WXMI had an edgy feeling to it and it's like he tried to bring it to Detroit but it just didn't work. Now, if it was WJBK or some third rate channel then maybe it could've passed but on a legendary station like WXYZ, yeah, not a good idea. Probably explains why the slogan is spelled in all lowercase on the graphics (the 2009 GFX also had it spelled that way in the opens and it looked tacky).

46bb9d.png

Also, off topic, but which TV tuner did you buy and do you have a Windows 8? I just got a Win8 laptop and my old tuner is not compatible with this OS so I'm looking for a new one.

The lowercase letters came along with the 2011 rebrand. From 2009-2011 there was a slightly different and not as shiny On Your Side open. They still have the darn lowercase letters. They look horribly unprofessional.

I bought a Hauppage WinTV-HVR 950Q Hybrid TV Stick (USB) for about $65 and a $9 RCA 1080 HDTV Broadcast antenna, both from Best Buy. It doesn't come with it's own editing software, just the recording software. So I got a free .TS to MP4 converter that allows me to turn it into a file Quicktime will read and I can edit it very quickly in that. By the end of tonight I will have almost all of the promos WXYZ has in circulation up and I'll be able to move on to WDIV tomorrow. I am running windows 7. The box says it's compatible with windows XP, Vista, 7 and 8.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where is that deal as of now, anyway?

There hasn't been any recent news about that matter, which is still waiting for the FCC greenlight. And based on recent FCC actions on prior deals, Quincy/Granite may have to do their own amendments, if they want their deal to get the greenlight. Even that grant that was made in the KTVK-KASW Meredith sale (under the condition that they have to divest KASW) may not help this deal's cause for SagamoreHill to acquire KDLH & WISE.

Now back in March, the DOJ/FTC had cleared the deal from any antitrust issues. But back in May, the FCC asked for more info about the way the deal is being financially handled, and their plans on the sharing arrangements in Peoria.

I said at the time, if they're going to ask questions about the sharing arrangements, then no doubt those similar questions will likely come up on other deals, including the MG/LIN deal (which should be docketed by now).

• 3 weeks later...

Alrighty y'all. There's a new amendment this morning (8/25). Quincy is asking the FCC for a waiver request.

The document includes a 60+ page powerpoint presentation about Quincy's sucesses as a broadcaster and their proposed plans for the Granite stations.

They also pitched that there won't be any new JSA. But you know in the Gray/Hoak deal, the FCC still didn't greenlight the KXJB/KAQY/KHAS portions of their deal. So I'm not too sure if this would persuade Wheeler's FCC to get them their grant. They're kind of straight.

Their outside date isn't until next February. But do they want to drag this on until then (especially since viewing prior deals that are still waiting for FCC grants)?

• 2 months later...

Big amendment regarding the Quincy/Granite deal.

SagamoreHill has withdrawn its applications to acquire WISE & KDLH. Quincy will acquire WISE outright. Malara will continue to own WPTA & KDLH.

I wonder if this simply means that Malara is now going to be shell for Quincy or if WPTA and KDLH are going to be sold to someone else.

I wonder if this simply means that Malara is now going to be shell for Quincy or if WPTA and KDLH are going to be sold to someone else.

Looks like they will remain shells. I couldn't imagine that, if Quincy were looking to sell, that they would sell WPTA over WISE.

I don't know why they didn't do this in the first place.

Here's how I'd do Duluth:

6.1/11.1 NBC (720p HD)

6.2/11.2 CW (480i SD widescreen)

6.3/11.3 CBS (720p HD)

6.4/11.4 MNT (480i SD widescreen)

KDLH would go dark or be sold to a third party. NBC and CBS would still be in 1080i via cable.

And in Fort Wayne:

33.1 NBC (1080i HD)

33.2 ABC (720p HD)

33.3 CW (480i SD widescreen)

33.4 MNT (480i SD widescreen)

VIPIR Weather: No longer available

WPTA would go dark or be sold to a third party.

It would be just like Gray did in Nebraska and North Dakota.

Looks like they will remain shells. I couldn't imagine that, if Quincy were looking to sell, that they would sell WPTA over WISE.

I don't know why they didn't do this in the first place.

Tony Malara and Brian Brady remind me a lot of each other — both former network heads of affiliate relations/head of affiliate boards (Malara at CBS, Brady at Fox) that wound up jumping into TV and have become sidecars.

Both stations scream Gray. Fort Wayne isn't far from Toledo, South Bend, and Lansing while Duluth fits between Gray's Wisconsin and Dakotas/Nebraska/Kansas cluster.

Both stations scream Gray. Fort Wayne isn't far from Toledo, South Bend, and Lansing while Duluth fits between Gray's Wisconsin and Dakotas/Nebraska/Kansas cluster.

You know, if they wanted to resume independent operations, both stations still have their original facilities vacant and available. Would have to put money into it to bring them up to modern standards, but they have the space if they want to sever the sharing arrangement with Granite/Quincy. (in WISE's case, their transmitter and old studios are co-located).

I couldn't imagine that, if Quincy were looking to sell, that they would sell WPTA over WISE.

Is WPTA more valuable than WISE? While we're on the subject what about KDLH and KBJR - which of those is more valuable?

Is WPTA more valuable than WISE? While we're on the subject what about KDLH and KBJR - which of those is more valuable?

WPTA is more valuable than WISE. That one is easy. Same goes for choosing KDLH or KBJR. KBJR is the winner, thanks to KRII. Besides, they would want stations that produce and air more news, unlike WISE and KDLH.

WPTA is more valuable than WISE. That one is easy. Same goes for choosing KDLH or KBJR. KBJR is the winner, thanks to KRII. Besides, they would want stations that produce and air more news, unlike WISE and KDLH.

Even without KRII, KBJR still wins. KDLH's last separate news department would have been behind KQDS by today's standards.

Tony Malara and Brian Brady remind me a lot of each other — both former network heads of affiliate relations/head of affiliate boards (Malara at CBS, Brady at Fox) that wound up jumping into TV and have become sidecars.

Well, there is one big difference between the two. One's been dead for quite awhile.

You know, if they wanted to resume independent operations, both stations still have their original facilities vacant and available. Would have to put money into it to bring them up to modern standards, but they have the space if they want to sever the sharing arrangement with Granite/Quincy. (in WISE's case, their transmitter and old studios are co-located).

FYI - KDLH's old facility was demolished this past summer.

I would love to see them separated. And, I agree the both would fit well within Gray's portfolio.

However....

I think this is being done to buy themselves (ie: Quincy) more time and be able to close the sale. They will just simply continue the current JSA/SSA with instead of entering into a new one with SagamoreHill. They have until June 19, 2016 (and barring a veto will get an additional six months on top of that) to come into compliance. They effectively moved the JSA/SSA hurdle out of the way for the time being in order to clear the sale. So, instead of having the FCC consider a new JSA/SSA as part of the sale they are now proposing maintain status quo in order to close the sale.

• 3 weeks later...

Another amendment regarding this deal, basically asking for that same waiver request from August, But they now using footnotes from the approval from the MG/LIN deal to get their conditional grant.

The temporary waiver Quincy is requesting would be to keep the JSA's active for WAOE, KDLH & WPTA until December 19, 2016 (new deadline date). And keep the JSA for WHOI until nine months after closing.

• 7 months later...

Another big amendment regarding the prolonged Quincy/Granite deal.

Quincy is going back to the original lineup, which includes Quincy acquiring WPTA & SagamoreHill getting WISE & KDLH. The only difference is now they're proposing to wind down its sharing arrangements in Ft. Wayne & Duluth within nine months after closing, at which then SagamoreHill would operate WISE & KDLH independently. Quincy has already stated that it would wind down the arrangements within nine months in Peoria.

Also, Quincy is proposing programming changes after nine months after closing as well:

• In Fort Wayne, Quincy is proposing to move the NBC & MyNetworkTV streams from WISE to WPTA (ABC will stay as the main channel). The CW stream would move from WPTA to WISE.
  • In Duluth, Quincy is proposing to move its CBS stream from KDLH to KBJR. KDLH would keep the CW.

Another big amendment regarding the prolonged Quincy/Granite deal.

Quincy is going back to the original lineup, which includes Quincy acquiring WPTA & SagamoreHill getting WISE & KDLH. The only difference is now they're proposing to wind down its sharing arrangements in Ft. Wayne & Duluth within nine months after closing, at which then SagamoreHill would operate WISE & KDLH independently. Quincy has already stated that it would wind down the arrangements within nine months in Peoria.

Also, Quincy is proposing programming changes after nine months after closing as well:

• In Fort Wayne, Quincy is proposing to move the NBC & MyNetworkTV streams from WISE to WPTA (ABC will stay as the main channel). The CW stream would move from WPTA to WISE.
  • In Duluth, Quincy is proposing to move its CBS stream from KDLH to KBJR. KDLH would keep the CW.

I thought the deal was dead, honestly. I figured someone else like Gray was going to step in...

This would mean The CW finally goes HD in Fort Wayne and Duluth.

In Fort Wayne, MNT would be relegated to crappy SD. The weather radar subchannel would be gone.

WPTA: 21.1 ABC (720p HD), 21.2 NBC (720p HD), 21.3 MNT (480i SD)

WISE: 33.1 CW (1080i HD)

And in Duluth:

KBJR/KRII: 6.1/11.1 NBC (1080i HD), 6.2/11.2 CBS (720p HD), 6.3/11.3 MNT (480i SD)

KDLH: 3.1 CW (1080i HD)

KDLH would set up a translator in the Iron Range to bring CW programming there.

Guest Former Member 207

This would mean The CW finally goes HD in Fort Wayne and Duluth.

In Fort Wayne, MNT would be relegated to crappy SD. The weather radar subchannel would be gone.

WPTA: 21.1 ABC (720p HD), 21.2 NBC (720p HD), 21.3 MNT (480i SD)

WISE: 33.1 CW (1080i HD)

And in Duluth:

KBJR/KRII: 6.1/11.1 NBC (1080i HD), 6.2/11.2 CBS (720p HD), 6.3/11.3 MNT (480i SD)

KDLH: 3.1 CW (1080i HD)

KDLH would set up a translator in the Iron Range to bring CW programming there.

Doesn't make much sense to me...the stations should keep current arrangements in regards to their subchannels. Why shoehorn three network streams on one channel, while keeping a single network stream on another? Or, is this your idea?

So the effect is to make the Quincy stations multi-network affiliated while leaving the SagamoreHill stations with The CW. That's kind of...odd.

Worth noting that at least in Fort Wayne, Quincy would continue to provide news programming to WISE/CW: "The parties also contemplate that Quincy will provide some news programming – not to exceed 15 percent of WISE-TV’s weekly programming." (The same also applies to KDLH.)

This is another amazing fact from the filing: "Quincy entered the television broadcast business in 1953 and has never sold a television station."

This deal is bordering on 18 months. It is one of the longest-running TV deals in a long time — granted, in that 18 months the regulatory environment unexpectedly entered another gear, which delayed many acquisitions pending before the FCC.

Archived