Granite sells stations to Scripps & Quincy.

CircleSeven

"The Now" debuts tomorrow on KSHB speaking of that as well. When was the premier slated for again? And how has WXYZ had theirs overhauled?

They have the new breaking news with the larger tabs (that's the whole group), they have a new website graphic that looks pretty nice and not like it was done in PowerPoint. Their noon newscast has received the window-frame opening teaser graphics and the 10pm uses the cityscape version of the graphics and 10pm time in the open, I kind of hope those get adopted across the newscasts. They received new sports graphics for their sports updates and sports story transitions with the various team and league logos and score graphics late last year. I don't watch the other stations much so these may very well be group wide changes. Their promos are a bit different but that may be the new CSD and some stock stuff, not sure on that. Oh and gear and wheel transitions for auto stories. They also received a new "look ahead" graphic with 6 times for weather instead of 10 or whatever it was, as a result the bars are thicker and also it's just white with a big gold square at the end. They also have "the signal" which is merely a traffic signal showing the next 3 day/night periods and the conditions from green to red. Again these could very well be group wide but they are all improvements on the original stuff or additions. The stupid social media box is still orange though and the L3's are unchanged, still either solid white or white/blue, except for the red breaking news stuff. Some of these are older elements (like the picture frame) that they used for two weeks in stories and just stopped... they did the same to the blue "Chopper 7" graphic in the upper left, it was used for a couple days when the graphics debuted and vanished. It looked good too.

Do any of the other Scripps stations not use a time/temp bug, have the meteorologists use a web-cam to upload forecasts on their website or have all white L3's?

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They have the new breaking news with the larger tabs (that's the whole group), they have a new website graphic that looks pretty nice and not like it was done in PowerPoint. Their noon newscast has received the window-frame opening teaser graphics and the 10pm uses the cityscape version of the graphics and 10pm time in the open, I kind of hope those get adopted across the newscasts. They received new sports graphics for their sports updates and sports story transitions with the various team and league logos and score graphics late last year. I don't watch the other stations much so these may very well be group wide changes. Their promos are a bit different but that may be the new CSD and some stock stuff, not sure on that. Oh and gear and wheel transitions for auto stories. They also received a new "look ahead" graphic with 6 times for weather instead of 10 or whatever it was, as a result the bars are thicker and also it's just white with a big gold square at the end. They also have "the signal" which is merely a traffic signal showing the next 3 day/night periods and the conditions from green to red. Again these could very well be group wide but they are all improvements on the original stuff or additions. The stupid social media box is still orange though and the L3's are unchanged, still either solid white or white/blue, except for the red breaking news stuff. Some of these are older elements (like the picture frame) that they used for two weeks in stories and just stopped... they did the same to the blue "Chopper 7" graphic in the upper left, it was used for a couple days when the graphics debuted and vanished. It looked good too.

Do any of the other Scripps stations not use a time/temp bug, have the meteorologists use a web-cam to upload forecasts on their website or have all white L3's?

Some of what you said sounds like they're group wide updates, especially the "window frame" thing. The thing that comes to mind when you say that are the talent opens KSHB started using a month or so ago (the first time since the initial standardization). There seems to be quite a bit of flexibility and free roam amongst the stations regarding the standardization, which is nice. It's not like "here's what you have, get used to it and no personalization" type stuff.

Some of what you said sounds like they're group wide updates, especially the "window frame" thing. The thing that comes to mind when you say that are the talent opens KSHB started using a month or so ago (the first time since the initial standardization). There seems to be quite a bit of flexibility and free roam amongst the stations regarding the standardization, which is nice. It's not like "here's what you have, get used to it and no personalization" type stuff.

I found my all white L3's at WFTS so I answered my own question, although we use the all-white stuff almost exclusively except for the reporter name L3. I can't find the no time/temp or the webcam thing though. Every once in a while I will see the headline text in both the white and blue stripes. This seems to be what all the other stations do. I have started seeing the blue with the white lopped off L3's more recently as well, they are rare too. I saw the talent open, same general concept yes. I really like the new talent opens and I'm hoping that we get some. Although none of the stations here use talent opens and only WJBK uses a time/temp bug as standard. I was looking at the other stations and I think I like some of what they have but some other elements seem like they are kind of small market stuff. That may be why the weather graphics have some differences. I am amazed at how non-standardized the standardization is.

With some additional tweaks, this package can probably last another 2 years or so.

I doubt Scripps will roll out a new graphics package- too soon. More than likely we'll see some refreshes to the opens, and or some tweaks to the L3's. I hope they move away from clunky graphics that Renderon produces and try something more clean in the next graphics package. The current pack is not bad, not great, but still miles better than the one it replaced. Also if you check out The NOW's twitter page, you can get a glimpse of the graphics they will use.

https://twitter.com/TheNowDenver

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BsDaPEXIYAAf0EO.jpg:large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BsTVPuYCcAAr5Ej.jpg:large

The graphics are tolerable but look like something MSNBC or some other cable channel might use.

If I didn't know I'd think that it WAS msnbc.

(funny thing about the talent opens, they use the Cincinnati skyline, not the skyline of whatever city).

(funny thing about the talent opens, they use the Cincinnati skyline, not the skyline of whatever city).

Well they are headquartered there. I notice the weather graphics are customized for each town though. Weird.

Do you have any video of the talent opens? I'm curious to see what they look like with these graphics.

Do any of the other Scripps stations not use a time/temp bug?

So far WXYZ only uses the time/temp bugs only in mornings, but never for the rest of the newscasts. However, when it comes to winter warnings or heat warnings, they do tend to keep the time/temp bugs for its coverage of either winter storm warnings or summer heat warnings.

Do you have any video of the talent opens? I'm curious to see what they look like with these graphics.

I don't have a TV tuner or else I would. Just watch their live stream at 5, 6 and 10pm and you'll see it! I don't think they'd have it for the 4pm anymore because of The Now or if the morning newscast has one.

So far WXYZ only uses the time/temp bugs only in mornings, but never for the rest of the newscasts. However, when it comes to winter warnings or heat warnings, they do tend to keep the time/temp bugs for its coverage of either winter storm warnings or summer heat warnings.

It's always been that way both at WXYZ and at WDIV. The 10pm newscast on WMYD is using a red and white time and temp bug. It's competing with WJBK so that's why, I think this is the first real decent time/temp bug they have had.

Does anyone notice in the upper-right-hand corner the weird time/temp bug? Looks like something more fit for a British or Australian newscast than an American one. Hopefully, Scripps doesn't use this for the rest of its stations.

I'm gonna say this - given how behind WKBW is, I would not be surprised if it's a year or even more before they get on the Scripps package. They have other things to worry about, namely the on-air product. The Scripps package would help them tremendously - it'd frankly be the most professional they've looked since CapCities owned it and probably not even then.

Does the slogan box on WXYZ still say, "taking action for you" in all lowercase? That's the one thing that's bothered me about WXYZ's implementation of those graphics.

Does the slogan box on WXYZ still say, "taking action for you" in all lowercase? That's the one thing that's bothered me about WXYZ's implementation of those graphics.

Yep and also in other spots it is lower case but not all, it depends on what the hub does and who specifically makes the graphical element.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting Article on a 7-9am morning show coming to WMYD in August plus a short overview of the market. One thing to note is that while WXYZ is third in 25-54 it's a very strong second in total viewers in every slot except noon, which it wins outright overall.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/77892/scripps-puts-wmyd-to-work-airing-news

Interesting Article on a 7-9am morning show coming to WMYD in August plus a short overview of the market. One thing to note is that while WXYZ is third in 25-54 it's a very strong second in total viewers in every slot except noon, which it wins outright overall.

Will Glenda and Malcolm handle "The Now" 4pm duties? Also, I wonder what happens to ET which is currently on at 7:30 on WMYD. Perhaps WWJ will pick it up as it already airs "The Insider"? Also, perhaps Jeff Vaughn can add noon co-anchor duties to his schedule (taking Glenda's place).

Entertainment Tonight has three options:

** It stays as-is on WMYD for the foreseeable future. Depending on how long their contract runs. Not hurting anyone, not rocking any boats.

** It moves to WWJ-TV. After all, with no newscasts, it can be shoehorned onto their schedule with minimal issue.

** It moves back to WXYZ, with Let's Ask America scooting to WMYD. Yes, that is highly unlikely, but it would be a sensible pairing with The List on WMYD.

** It stays as-is on WMYD for the foreseeable future. Depending on how long their contract runs. Not hurting anyone, not rocking any boats.

** It moves to WWJ-TV. After all, with no newscasts, it can be shoehorned onto their schedule with minimal issue.

** It moves back to WXYZ, with Let's Ask America scooting to WMYD. Yes, that is highly unlikely, but it would be a sensible pairing with The List on WMYD.

I misread the article, but it's still worth talking about as some programs will be displaced.

Looks like ABC affiliates are having the same problems NBC affiliates had a few years back when they were the ratings dog.

Will Glenda and Malcolm handle "The Now" 4pm duties? Also, I wonder what happens to ET which is currently on at 7:30 on WMYD. Perhaps WWJ will pick it up as it already airs "The Insider"? Also, perhaps Jeff Vaughn can add noon co-anchor duties to his schedule (taking Glenda's place).

No, they just hired a local host for that duty and they are setting up a local desk with a producer and MMJ specifically for The Now. The List is getting a similar set-up with an MMJ and some producers. ET will remain on WMYD as far as I have heard. Glenda is on at 10 right now and Joanne Purtan has been solo at noon since the 10pm started. Jeff Vaughn is on at 5 and is a street reporter at 10 and 11 so he won't add noon.

ET doesn't really have to move. The List is going in at 730 on WXYZ replacing Lets Ask America. They could easily put Lets Ask America at 7 on WMYD and problem solved.

The weird thing about WXYZ is that it was the highest rated ABC affiliate in 25-54 in Primetime in May. So it's not having as many problems as some ABC affiliates do with the actual ABC programming. Some people switch over to WDIV at 11 though and that dents their news ratings. While they nearly tied WJBK at 6 for second in the 25-54 and at 11 trailed by a bit they have gone from 3.0 to 2.6 at 11 since February. It's a similar story at 6 2.5 in February and 2.7 in May, so the ratings are not really moving up much but the overalls are. Go figure. They just dug themselves a big hole with a bad hire for a news director that lasted a year or two and ran back to Grand Rapids for a PR job. The new news director is Dave Manney who was assistant ND there about 10 years ago before going to WPIX and WNBC. He's got a big market mentality compared to the last guy.

ET doesn't really have to move. The List is going in at 730 on WXYZ replacing Lets Ask America. They could easily put Lets Ask America at 7 on WMYD and problem solved.

The weird thing about WXYZ is that it was the highest rated ABC affiliate in 25-54 in Primetime in May. So it's not having as many problems as some ABC affiliates do with the actual ABC programming. Some people switch over to WDIV at 11 though and that dents their news ratings. While they nearly tied WJBK at 6 for second in the 25-54 and at 11 trailed by a bit they have gone from 3.0 to 2.6 at 11 since February. It's a similar story at 6 2.5 in February and 2.7 in May, so the ratings are not really moving up much but the overalls are. Go figure. They just dug themselves a big hole with a bad hire for a news director that lasted a year or two and ran back to Grand Rapids for a PR job. The new news director is Dave Manney who was assistant ND there about 10 years ago before going to WPIX and WNBC. He's got a big market mentality compared to the last guy.

I never understood why they hired Tim Dye as their ND a couple years ago. Running a Fox affiliate in DMA 39 is not the same as running an ABC in market 11...

I never understood why they hired Tim Dye as their ND a couple years ago. Running a Fox affiliate in DMA 39 is not the same as running an ABC in market 11...

No it isn't. Not even close. Word on the street was that when Grace Gilchrist retired as VP/GM at WXYZ in 2007 and Ed Fernandez came to replace her in 2009 from WXMI where he was VP/GM, that he began to bring people from that station over with him. Andrea Parquet-Taylor was out as ND in 2011 and Tim Dye was Fernandez's ND so he just hired him to be ND here. The station then dumped the O&O style format and the On Your Side slogans in a rebrand bid to get younger viewers. It hasn't worked and the ratings have gone the wrong way. The problem was that Dye ran it with the same mentality as WXMI and that absolutely destroyed the news operation as did retiring all that talent. Dye's bringing several reporters from Flint and Saginaw as well as one from Grand Rapids and one fresh out of college didn't help matters.

For all the flack Bill Carey gets from the folks who lament what happened to WPIX, between him and Dave Manney when they were running it together it was the best it had been in 10 or more years and that lasted until the re-brand.

By the way, I bought a TV tuner and uploaded a bunch of stuff, no more recording the TV.

No it isn't. Not even close. Word on the street was that when Grace Gilchrist retired as VP/GM at WXYZ in 2007 and Ed Fernandez came to replace her in 2009 from WXMI where he was VP/GM, that he began to bring people from that station over with him. Andrea Parquet-Taylor was out as ND in 2011 and Tim Dye was Fernandez's ND so he just hired him to be ND here. The station then dumped the O&O style format and the On Your Side slogans in a rebrand bid to get younger viewers. It hasn't worked and the ratings have gone the wrong way. The problem was that Dye ran it with the same mentality as WXMI and that absolutely destroyed the news operation as did retiring all that talent. Dye's bringing several reporters from Flint and Saginaw as well as one from Grand Rapids and one fresh out of college didn't help matters.

For all the flack Bill Carey gets from the folks who lament what happened to WPIX, between him and Dave Manney when they were running it together it was the best it had been in 10 or more years and that lasted until the re-brand.

By the way, I bought a TV tuner and uploaded a bunch of stuff, no more recording the TV.

Yes, you summed it up best. WXMI had an edgy feeling to it and it's like he tried to bring it to Detroit but it just didn't work. Now, if it was WJBK or some third rate channel then maybe it could've passed but on a legendary station like WXYZ, yeah, not a good idea. Probably explains why the slogan is spelled in all lowercase on the graphics (the 2009 GFX also had it spelled that way in the opens and it looked tacky).

46bb9d.png

Also, off topic, but which TV tuner did you buy and do you have a Windows 8? I just got a Win8 laptop and my old tuner is not compatible with this OS so I'm looking for a new one.

Archived