Granite sells stations to Scripps & Quincy.

CircleSeven

When Sinclair made KDBC/KFOX a duopoly of some sort I think Mexican stations were counted as market media voices.

That may be so; still, the El Paso DMA has 10 U.S.-based stations that had only one duopoly (the Entravision stations), so Sinclair's KDBC/KFOX combo would have been allowed anyway.

I'm not saying the WXYZ/WMYD combo won't be allowed, or whether it should or should not be, I'm just looking forward to whatever creativity is needed to allow it.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had actually wondered this myself. They only have 9 full-power stations (2, 4, 7, 20, 31, 38, 50, 56, and 62), and 8 separate ownerships thanks to the CBS 62/50 duopoly. I wasn't sure if they could count the Windsor stations, or perhaps a Flint station actually has its transmitter within the Detroit DMA, or some other wacky shenanigans involving creative math.

They probably going to also count WHTV Jackson because (even though it doesn't officially serve Detroit) it's signal stretches a great chunk of that market. Or, they would also count the Windsor stations, similiar to what (like what Raymie pointed out) Sinclair did when they'd acquired KDBC, when they'd included the Ciudad Juarez stations on their voices count chart. We will know fully once the paperwork get's posted.

I'm still pondering right to this is day is to why didn't WJBK acquire WMYD (for obvious reasons)?

They probably going to also count WHTV Jackson because (even though it doesn't officially serve Detroit) it's signal stretches a great chunk of that market. Or, they would also count the Windsor stations, similiar to what (like what Raymie pointed out) Sinclair did when they'd acquired KDBC, when they'd included the Ciudad Juarez stations on their voices count chart. We will know fully once the paperwork get's posted.

I'm still pondering right to this is day is to why didn't WJBK acquire WMYD (for obvious reasons)?

WHTV, that's it. It now transmits from within the Detroit DMA, at the old WPXD site in northwest Washtenaw County. There's how Scripps can get around the rules without bringing the Windsor stations into it. (It's much like WPXS in the St. Louis DMA, now that I think of it).

It's odd that Sinclair felt the need to include the Juarez stations when going for the KDBC/KFOX duopoly. There was room for one more El Paso duopoly without including the Mexican stations.

WHTV, that's it. It now transmits from within the Detroit DMA, at the old WPXD site in northwest Washtenaw County. There's how Scripps can get around the rules without bringing the Windsor stations into it. (It's much like WPXS in the St. Louis DMA, now that I think of it).

It's odd that Sinclair felt the need to include the Juarez stations when going for the KDBC/KFOX duopoly. There was room for one more El Paso duopoly without including the Mexican stations.

Yep. And, I'll go ahead and toot my own horn for bringing up how WHTV's "move-in" opened the the door for WMYD to become duopoly bait last summer:

Edit: I see CircleSeven beat me on WMYD -> Fox. However, I'm not sure a failing station waiver would really be needed. Isn't WHTV still planning to move to the old WPXD tower. I assume WPXD counted as one of the "at least eight independently owned TV stations remaining in the market" after the WWJ/WKBD combination. So, if that's the case then wouldn't WHTV's move to WPXD's old tower provide a "ninth independently owned station" allowing for another duopoly opportunity? No failing station waiver or LMA needed. ;)

Just got the buyer wrong. Like you CircleSeven I'm still surprised FTS didn't jump at the opportunity to pair WMYD with WJBK.

Did they need to bring in the Juarez stations for the "Top 4" stations in ratings? Without them, I can see CBS & Fox being in the top 4, as I anticipate the Juarez stations outperform Univision & Telemundo...

J

Did they need to bring in the Juarez stations for the "Top 4" stations in ratings? Without them, I can see CBS & Fox being in the top 4, as I anticipate the Juarez stations outperform Univision & Telemundo...

J

The bozos claimed that KFOX was the 6th rated station in the market, so I do believe the Juarez stations count.

The bozos claimed that KFOX was the 6th rated station in the market, so I do believe the Juarez stations count.

They didn't claim it was the 6th rated station. It was the 6th rated station.

The Juarez stations were not included on the ratings chart. I'm not sure they even subscribe to Nielsen. The Univision affiliate (KINT) was #1 and the Telemundo affiliate (KTDO) was #3. With KVIA & KDBC sliding in at #2 and #4.

From The Buffalo News today: "Scripps bringing original programs to (WKBW) Channel 7".

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/talkintv/2014/02/scripps-bringing-original-programs-to-ch7.html?ref=brp

"Right This Minute" currently airs on WKBW...after "Nightline".

I'm glad WKBW has a new owner.

(Yeah, I know, I'm late. Sorry.)

They didn't claim it was the 6th rated station. It was the 6th rated station.

The Juarez stations were not included on the ratings chart. I'm not sure they even subscribe to Nielsen. The Univision affiliate (KINT) was #1 and the Telemundo affiliate (KTDO) was #3. With KVIA & KDBC sliding in at #2 and #4.

And that makes KTSM 5th. I guess it makes sense since there's such a high Spanish-speaking population in that market.

• 2 weeks later...

The Paperwork Is Up!!!!

Here's the applications of consent to assignment of license of the stations of five Granite Broadcasting & two Malara Broadcast stations to Quincy Newspapers, Inc. & SagamoreHill Broadcasting, including a detailed transaction description & asset purchase agreement, which was made on February 10. The paperwork was posted this morning (2/24).

First, Granite will exercise its option to have the rights of the Malara stations, from that option agreement made between the two back in 2009. The parties, (Granite, Quincy & SagamoreHill) formed that APA, which the purchase price for all seven stations involved is $190M.

SagamoreHill will be assigned two stations for $6.132M ($3.216M for WISE & $2.916M for KDLH). Quincy will be providing services for the two SagamoreHill stations via a Shared Services agreement. Also, Management Service Agreement will also be formed between SagamoreHill and Louis Wall (who is that company's president). And an Option Agreement between SagamoreHill & Quincy. But it also states on the description, they won't be forming any Joint Sales or "advertising representation" agreements. KRII have also filed for continued satellite authority as a repeater of KBJR.

The following Granite stations will be assigned to Quincy proper.

WBNG (CBS) Binghamton, NY

WEEK (NBC) Peoria, IL

KBJR (NBC) Superior, WI

KRII (NBC) Chisholm, MN (satellite of KBJR)

The following Malara station will be assigned to Quincy.

WPTA (ABC) Fort Wayne, IL

The following Granite station will be assigned to SagamoreHill.

WISE (NBC) Fort Wayne

The following Malara station will be assigned to SagamoreHill.

KDLH (CBS) Duluth

Okay, is anyone shocked that they've been very descriptive on their transaction description? Stating the companies history and legacies, and vow that they're not forming one form of shared arrangement that the FCC could be yanking, should Wheeler follows through on a possible plan that's been making the headlines these past few weeks. It's good that Quincy is making their case, but will that satisfy the heads at the FCC? At any event this alone is still shocking that a completely different group is acquiring a company and not your usuals. Quincy's last M&A was acquiring WBIJ from Selenka a few years ago, and before that, acquiring the Shockley stations in Wisconsin & Minnesota in 2001.

The one thing I would like to see happen, and I believe it was already mentioned on this thread, that I strongly wish there was a way for Quincy to terminate the SSA before 2017 between WEEK & WHOI, so Sinclair can be free and start their own news ops, and possibly form a SSA with WYZZ (I'm not too sure when that agreement ends). I say this because I strongly doubt that Sinclair would want to stay riding the wave through the 2016 elections & the 45th President's inauguration. Through the next 36 months, Sinclair would probably be making the proper investments in moving back to one of the old buildings in town, and reforming its in-house news ops. At least you'll have three separate news clubs again in Peoria, instead of two. But again, it would be really hard to see Sinclair staying in this SSA for that long period of time, and they basically have the funds to get out of it early, should it ever comes about.

I mean if a completely different buyer comes into the fray for first Meredith-owned station WTVH, wouldn't you want them to leave the WSTM SSA before 2017? I mean is WTVH's old building is still active? Let's hope it is a completely different buyer. I doubt Meredith would want to come back, but stranger things have happened. Prather? Maybe, but would it be almost an unfair advantage? Because WTVH is a de facto station in the Utica market. But I hope it won't be one of those Heathen's shells. Please don't let it be one of those.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Ok. Now I think that Scripps may be a candidate to buy ABC as well as SBG. Hmmm.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Scripps were to buy ABC, but I'll disagree with Sinclair, if they were to merge with Sinclair, it would've put ten Sinclair, over 39% limit, abc I don't think it'll be a problem based on the fact that they only have 8 stations, but I wouldn't be surprised if some if the Scripps stations, in smaller markets be sold, as part if this merger, in particular, KERO/Bakersfield WPTV/West Palm Beach, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

From the Buffalo News: "New Owner (Scripps) May Take Control Of (WKBW) Channel 7 After May Sweeps"

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/talkintv/2014/04/new-owner-may-take-control-of-channel-7-after-may-sweeps.html?ref=bmh

Well, We can now ponder whether the Lighthouse close this deal after (or even) during sweeps because.....

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!

The FCC has greenlighted the sale of WKBW & WMYD to Scripps today.

If Scripps wants to really get the ball rolling, I wouldn't be shocked if Monday would the day the Lighthouse would shine on them. But I'm not holding my breath.

Well, We can now ponder whether the Lighthouse close this deal after (or even) during sweeps because.....

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!

The FCC has greenlighted the sale of WKBW & WMYD to Scripps today.

If Scripps wants to really get the ball rolling, I wouldn't be shocked if Monday would the day the Lighthouse would shine on them. But I'm not holding my breath.

I'm with Alan Pergament in thinking that Scripps would wait until after sweeps to take over to put its full "stamp" on WKBW.

WMYD is a little different being a virtual independent and I wouldn't be shocked to see 'XYZ take over the newscast in very short order. Would next Monday (the 12th) be too much of a stretch?

Remember, they haven't officially "closed" on both stations, but it's a mere formality now.

I'm with Alan Pergament in thinking that Scripps would wait until after sweeps to take over to put its full "stamp" on WKBW.

WMYD is a little different being a virtual independent and I wouldn't be shocked to see 'XYZ take over the newscast in very short order. Would next Monday (the 12th) be too much of a stretch?

Remember, they haven't officially "closed" on both stations, but it's a mere formality now.

Yeah any approval, they have 90 days to consummate it. But as I've seen in many of these M&A deals that have been approved previously, most have closed within a week or so.

Yeah it would be wise to not make any major changes before the end of sweeps. But even if they do close during sweeps, I strongly doubt that we'll see any major impact in the near term. Yeah with WMYD, they could easily make the change very briskly and start a 10pm show by the July Books. But I tend to see some major heavy lifting on WKBW by maybe either the November books or next February, but the time for Scripps to start on making blueprints of those plans is NOW!!!

That was easy...now I wonder how the on-air product will change at WKBW? Granite was known as a bad owner...

I wouldn't mind if they update their set & graphics. But I would be saddened if MCTYW goes again. Although I'd said before, I'm not all that pleased that they're using that one cue for everything. If they used some more cues of MCTYW, I wouldn't be all that mad. But I would be extremely happy if they finally work on their content formula that would click with the viewers. At least try to get some of the WIVB viewers at least. That's probably those viewers that change from when KB was on top.

I also hope they don't drop the Eyewitness News name, since it would be first Scripps' station that uses the branding in 24 years (WEWS dropped the brand in 1990).

I'm sure plans are already in the works for the station, they just can't make them public yet because they don't own the station yet.

That was easy...now I wonder how the on-air product will change at WKBW? Granite was known as a bad owner...

Having seen a station experience a transition from a terrible owner (General Electric) to a good one (Comcast), I'd expect this:

• Obviously, the first thing you'll see is the lighthouse closing animation popping up at the end of WKBW's newscasts. Which would be jarring because of the transition from horrible to not horrible graphics.
  • Expect changes at the top. Scripps will want to install its own guy as GM and that GM will in turn want to install his own guy as ND.
  • By the time that happens (about two to three months after the sale completes), changes should now be showing up on air. They're going to need a lot of TLC from the looks of things. The first things to get updated will be the hardware and software that powers the newsroom, perhaps the graphics system as WKBW will be joining the Scripps hub. Maybe they'll upgrade the weather system by this point.
  • Changes to the on-air talent should be visible about four months in. New faces will show up, old faces will disappear. It's possible, even probable, that the main anchor team will have been changed out.
  • By fall, and certainly by November Sweeps, expect a new set, and the Scripps graphics and music.

It will be a long, protracted process. WCAU was acquired by Comcast in February 2011, got much needed hardware upgrades that summer, and changed to their now-current logo. WCAU's GM, Dennis Bianchi, moved on (or, more accurately, downtown to Fox 29). Valari Staab appointed Eric Lerner as GM, who brought in his own guy, Anzio Williams, to replace long-term ND Chris Blackman. They let two of their prime anchors go in December of 2012, and rebuilt the reporting staff and added a slew of new faces to anchor the newscasts. I'd say the process completed in September 2013 when Jim Rosenfield joined the station and the 11pm team became Rosenfield, Jacqueline London, and Sheena Parveen, but it's still ongoing. They changed graphics for the Olympics and consolidated sports with Comcast SportsNet. And that's not mentioning the acquisition/integration of the local Telemundo affiliate. Or that the entire staff will be heading downtown in 2017 to Comcast's new skyscraper.

Obviously, this situation is different - one of the x-factors in WCAU's case is that they're ultimately now owned by a local company - but that's roughly what to expect.

From what I see WXYZ isn't quite strong enough yet to take more news on. 1 PM director, producer, cameraman and MMJ were all posted yesterday on the jobs board. They are now looking for 4 MMJ's to add to their staff of air talent. 1 of the MMJ's is also to be assigned to investigative, the other is to hold down the weekend evening newscasts with Dave LewAllen and MMJ 3 days a week. 2 more will be general assignment. Their news product is improving rapidly under their new ND from New York and conceivably we could have some major movement on a newscast on 'MYD by June. I'm slowly seeing signs that they could do a top-10 caliber newscast with a little more work. They only have 32 talents and these 4 will make them the largest news team in Detroit, WJBK and WDIV each have 34. Currently they are short staffed enough that the same reporters do two stories in one half hour and the 5pm anchor is also an 11pm reporter. They just don't have the people right now to do a 10pm. This is all a legacy of the Grand Rapids ND they fired last year.

This will take some time. @Myron Falwell yes Scripps will have to build out a new master control. I've been to Buffalo and been by the WKBW studios from the outside looks like a big building. I see them adding Weekend Morning News in future. WKBW does have a lot of history. As far as MCTYW I hope it doesn't go away. Of course that isn't first thing that needs done. I agree I see the Lighthouse coming after every newscast soon. Scripps has said that won't take full control until after May Sweeps. I think they might move Mike Radnall back to evenings.

ABC Logo with WKBW's Circle 7

https://www.facebook.com/60388086891/photos/a.10150554962766892.378268.60388086891/10151864357696892/?type=3&theater

AM Buffalo

https://www.facebook.com/lindaambuffalo/photos/pb.185249661594055.-2207520000.1399126998./553470804771937/?type=3&theater

It's not just the logo... the whole image of the station has been thoroughly trashed by Granite. They almost need a makeover along the lines of when MediaGeneral flipped WBMG to WIAT (where the entire news department was scrapped and rebuilt wholesale).

At this point, I wouldn't even consider MCTYW sacred. Or at least the uber-cheapness of only using one cut - ONE CUT - for all aspects of their newscasts, including promos. Inergy will be in the mix somehow, some way.

Heck, could Scripps commission a variant of Inergy with the MYCTW signature?

Scripps' graphics hub should be able to modify the WKBW "7" to make it in line with WXYZ and KMGH's logo. If they don't want to just scrap it outright and settle for the WXYZ design.

But again, I concur. This is a massive rehabilitation project that Scripps is undertaking here.

Archived