Roof Collapses at WGAL

chrelevator

UPDATE: Yes, looks like still a fluid situation here for WGAL this morning.

I have Dish Network here at my house in Dauphin County and they are just running the pure network feed. This morning, they had commercials but I still can't tell if I have WCAU or WBAL.

WGAL has set up a temporary newsroom within the Lancaster Township Municipal Building and their ability to adapt with a very much bare-bones newscast like this is commendable.

Will update you when I have more information. As Kim Lemon said online this morning online, "We are not the building, we are the news."

-- Matt

You have WCAU. WGAL is simulcasting NBC10 until they can transmit from their building again.

ETA: Looks like 10 is doing well to cater to the expanded audience as they've added Harrisburg and Lancaster to their local weather maps and weather discussion.

Saying that they're leaning towards propping the beam up from the interior of the building.

(from what was reported yesterday that beam was originally supported from the inside but that support was removed at some point in time and the beam was reinforced)

A viewer on WGAL's live wire asked how they're getting an online streaming feed up without their master control facilities. WGAL replied:

"As far as online - we're sending a satellite shot to our sister station WTAE, they're converting it to a stream and then we embed it here in the live wire and run a separate mobile stream."

ab00e3b6-6d9e-4259-b2d7-199c3188b724_500.jpg

(WGAL.com)

"This is the beam that is supposed to support the roof. It will be used to prop up the collapsed beam and shore up the bldg enough to open the bldg back up. Although engineer would still have to sign off. Should take an hour.As of this morning there were 6 inches of standing water on the roof"

Condemned =/= beyond repair. It simply means "unfit for use". The next steps will be to have structural engineers inspect the roof and the rest of the beams in the building. If they don't find anything wrong, it'll be business as usual within a few hours. The fix could be as simple as replacing the faulty beam.

EDIT: The extent of the damage isn't as big as it's been made out to be, either.

14281369-large.jpg

Unless they find out that the building has somehow been structurally deficient for the last 58 years (It opened in 1956), I'd expect this to be a temporary inconvenience.

Going to make a wild guess that, given Kansas City's proximity to Tornado Alley, that their truck is specially equipped as part of a contingency plan for a station losing the ability to use it's entire facility. WBAL's truck probably does not do as much as you think it does. Just because it's a "remote show" doesn't mean that graphics and other remote feeds aren't being switched at the station, or that they're not using a mobile production trailer (Locally, WISN and WITI both use WMVS/WMVT's massive trailer for remote shows).

Also, given the weather situation right now, I doubt Hearst would even try to get one of it's east coast stations, especially Bostin, to give up their satellite truck.

Condemned =/= beyond repair. It simply means "unfit for use". The next steps will be to have structural engineers inspect the roof and the rest of the beams in the building. If they don't find anything wrong, it'll be business as usual within a few hours. The fix could be as simple as replacing the faulty beam.

EDIT: The extent of the damage isn't as big as it's been made out to be, either.

14281369-large.jpg

Unless they find out that the building has somehow been structurally deficient for the last 58 years (It opened in 1956), I'd expect this to be a temporary inconvenience.

Going to make a wild guess that, given Kansas City's proximity to Tornado Alley, that their truck is specially equipped as part of a contingency plan for a station losing the ability to use it's entire facility. WBAL's truck probably does not do as much as you think it does. Just because it's a "remote show" doesn't mean that graphics and other remote feeds aren't being switched at the station, or that they're not using a mobile production trailer (Locally, WISN and WITI both use WMVS/WMVT's massive trailer for remote shows).

Also, given the weather situation right now, I doubt Hearst would even try to get one of it's east coast stations, especially Bostin, to give up their satellite truck.

The only reason why I brought this point up is because of past emails with WBAL-TV engineers after they went HDTV in 2009. During that time episode their regular ENG trucks could only transmit 16:9 ED - While their mobile newsroom during special events like the Preakness Pre Show and the Washington Monument lighting were in HD. The engineer explained to me that they were using their mobile newsroom as their full production faculty, ranging from adding multiple chorine, receiving other ENG truck feeds, their SkyTeam11 HD helicopter feed and using all of this to straight to master control where all they needed to add was their digital on screen graphic.

Unless of course they are sending a mobile tv studio like this one that was used during the Casey Anthony and George Zimmerman trials on TruTV. Of course their was also a local,station that built a similar trailer for the George Zimmerman case on http://www.mynews13.com/content/news/cfnews13/news/article.html/content/news/articles/cfn/2013/6/11/george_zimmerman_tri.html"] on Bright House News 13. [/url

Here is the message that was posted on WGAL's facebook.

WE ARE BACK: WGAL staff has been allowed back inside the Lancaster studios. All local newscasts will now air as scheduled. Ron, Janelle and Joe Calhoun will be on at 6 p.m. tonight.

Thanks to all of our viewers for the well wishes. And also, thank you to the first responders, engineers and workers who made it possible for us to get back on the air!

Sounds like the 'fix' is only temporary until engineers can devise something permanent.

I wonder where the studio is located in relation to the rest of the building - if it's in the sides they could demolish that part and build a new extension.

Archived