Roof Collapses at WGAL

chrelevator

"Around 3:20 p.m. employees in the newsroom heard what was described as a "thunderous boom." A portion of the roof in an adjacent studio that is no longer in use had collapsed. Staff called the fire department who responded and inspected the damage. Around 4 p.m., fire officials ordered about 100 people to evacuate. Further inspection revealed that a concrete suport beam and slab had shifted and dropped. As a result the entire roof of the building had been compromised.

It's unclear when WGAL staff will be allowed back in."

http://www.wgal.com/news/susquehanna-valley/lancaster/roof-collapses-at-wgals-lancaster-studio/24491112

I also heard on WGAL's website that they're unable to transmit right now as well (at the worst possible time too considering they're in the middle of the Olympics).

Never realized how old their building is. That combined with that big snow pack on the roof, and I can easily see why that roof collapsed.

Edit: Watching the coverage, they mentioned hearing noises from the roof in the days leading up to this.

Glad they are all okay!!!

Do they have a secondary studio in the northern part of the market? At least there are two other Hearst stations (WBAL and WTAE) fairly close by that they could probably call on for help.

Looking at Google maps the distance to WTAE would be a 3 hours and 35 minute drive, while WBAL is just an 1 hour 18 minute drive (a straight shoot down I83).

But I'd like to think they have a back up studio somewhere. I remember back in 1999 when WBAL, WJZ and WMAR were installing their digital transmitter and respective antennas on the candelabra tower WBAL and WJZ had to be evacuated because the crane became loose. WJZ broadcast from the parking lot of WBFF and WBAL had back up studios at Maryland Public Television in Owings Mills 20 minutes away, infact they still have the back up studio transmitter link listed from MPT to WBAL in the FCC database.

Looking at Google maps the distance to WTAE would be a 3 hours and 35 minute drive, while WBAL is just an 1 hour 18 minute drive (a straight shoot down I83).

But I'd like to think they have a back up studio somewhere. I remember back in 1999 when WBAL, WJZ and WMAR were installing their digital transmitter and respective antennas on the candelabra tower WBAL and WJZ had to be evacuated because the crane became loose. WJZ broadcast from the parking lot of WBFF and WBAL had back up studios at Maryland Public Television in Owings Mills 20 minutes away, infact they still have the back up studio transmitter link listed from MPT to WBAL in the FCC database.

Well, there you go. Sinclair can let them broadcast from the studios of WHP ...

Being from that area, I can say that there are three viable options. The one that makes the most sense would be to have WBAL open up and say, "Come in and use our studio." They're the closest market and they're also sister stations and they're both NBC affiliates. Ding ding ding, winner. But, if that doesn't happen, WCAU is close and WJAC isn't THAT far away. I'm an hour and a half to the east of WJAC and they're in my market. I'm about two hours away from WGAL and they're in the next market over. I'm interested in seeing how this pans out.

Looks like they might need a LOT more than just help from their sister stations.

Per Twitter, emphasis mine:

@fox43: Per Lancaster TWP Fire Chief Ron Comfort: WGAL building is condemned. No one allowed inside. Engineers to determine extent of repairs.

---

I think WGAL is closer to WBAL than WCAU. I don't know WBAL's situation, but I think WCAU has a full plate already since they're doing the Telemundo news at the same time. If they were to consider Philadelphia as an option, I believe they could set up at WPVI, since Hearst and ABC are best buds because of Bristol.

Right now it looks like they're airing WBAL on the channel 8 signal, at least on some cable systems. (DirecTV apparently is/was relaying NBC 4 New York.)

Props to them for continuing to put out some form of a news product under the circumstances.

Most likely, WBAL will work with them in the short term, unless a college in the region has a journalism program they can work from. They will likely need to find another location in the medium term, even if temporary for a couple years.

80 miles away?

Very sad day for WGAL. I've been to their Columbia Ave., address a couple of times. That building is ICONIC. Unbelievable day for the Susquehanna Valley's News Leader ...

What happens to Studio B??? If it is condemned and no one is allowed inside, can we say that Studio B is a total loss???

My god. The horror.

-- Matt

The horror? Dude, it's just a studio. It may be iconic, but if it's been condemned, then I say it's time for new facilities. And costs shouldn't be an issue, as Hearst is flush with cash from not only the TV stations, but ESPN, A&E, the newspapers, magazines like Car & Driver, King Features, etc.. Just be thankful that no one was injured.

The horror? Dude, it's just a studio. It may be iconic, but if it's been condemned, then I say it's time for new facilities. And costs shouldn't be an issue, as Hearst is flush with cash from not only the TV stations, but ESPN, A&E, the newspapers, magazines like Car & Driver, King Features, etc.. Just be thankful that no one was injured.

It was confirmed by another television station, FOX43, that the WGAL building is condemned. Hopefully it can be repaired, though this could be a very good opportunity for them to relocate...

I'm not sure if this has to do with the roof collapse but WBALs 10 PM newscast of WBAL+ (11.2 MeTV) originated from the main studio tonight when it normally airs from the newsroom set.

Per this tweet and others it does appear that they are relaying it.

https://twitter.com/justin_raub/status/434490541007704064

UPDATE @ 11:56 at the beginning of WBALs 11:30 newscast they just said they are simulcasting to WGALs signal area.

KMBC has been tweeting that the Hearst mobile newsroom, which is located at their facilities, will be making its way to WGAL. I will say I am impressed with their scrappiness - they've been doing newscasts online to keep people aware of the situation.

KMBC has been tweeting that the Hearst mobile newsroom, which is located at their facilities, will be making its way to WGAL. I will say I am impressed with their scrappiness - they've been doing newscasts online to keep people aware of the situation.

I replied to that tweet what differentiates KMBCs mobile newsroom from the full size box SNG/OB trucks that most stations have. I know that WGAL has one as does WBAL (which coincidentally is branded as their mobile newsroom).

WBAL uses theirs mainly for their yearly Preakness specials and a few holiday events - which is capable of receiving the HD helicopter, HD ENG feeds as well full graphics sending straight to their transmitter.

I guess what I'm trying to say is what makes the one from Kansas City special when they could get one from WBAL, WTAE, WCVB and WMUR so much quicker?

Very sad day for WGAL. I've been to their Columbia Ave., address a couple of times. That building is ICONIC. Unbelievable day for the Susquehanna Valley's News Leader ...

What happens to Studio B??? If it is condemned and no one is allowed inside, can we say that Studio B is a total loss???

My god. The horror.

-- Matt

Condemned =/= beyond repair. It simply means "unfit for use". The next steps will be to have structural engineers inspect the roof and the rest of the beams in the building. If they don't find anything wrong, it'll be business as usual within a few hours. The fix could be as simple as replacing the faulty beam.

EDIT: The extent of the damage isn't as big as it's been made out to be, either.

14281369-large.jpg

Unless they find out that the building has somehow been structurally deficient for the last 58 years (It opened in 1956), I'd expect this to be a temporary inconvenience.

I replied to that tweet what differentiates KMBCs mobile newsroom from the full size box SNG/OB trucks that most stations have. I know that WGAL has one as does WBAL (which coincidentally is branded as their mobile newsroom).

WBAL uses theirs mainly for their yearly Preakness specials and a few holiday events - which is capable of receiving the HD helicopter, HD ENG feeds as well full graphics sending straight to their transmitter.

I guess what I'm trying to say is what makes the one from Kansas City special when they could get one from WBAL, WTAE, WCVB and WMUR so much quicker?

Going to make a wild guess that, given Kansas City's proximity to Tornado Alley, that their truck is specially equipped as part of a contingency plan for a station losing the ability to use it's entire facility. WBAL's truck probably does not do as much as you think it does. Just because it's a "remote show" doesn't mean that graphics and other remote feeds aren't being switched at the station, or that they're not using a mobile production trailer (Locally, WISN and WITI both use WMVS/WMVT's massive trailer for remote shows).

Also, given the weather situation right now, I doubt Hearst would even try to get one of it's east coast stations, especially Bostin, to give up their satellite truck.

Archived