February Sweeps

AA55

"The weeknight edition of "Eyewitness News at 11" with Bill Ritter, Sade Baderinwa, Lee Goldberg and Rob Powers was #1 in DMA Households among newscasts that aired at 11pm, and was #1 on nights the Olympics did not air."

"On weekend nights, "Eyewitness News at 11," featuring Joe Torres, Sandra Bookman, Jeff Smith and Laura Behnke, was competitive despite having to face the locally-played Super Bowl in the first weekend of the sweep and the Olympics on other weekends."

So did WNBC win on nights the Olympics aired? If so that's impressive, because that was half the month of February.

"The weeknight edition of "Eyewitness News at 11" with Bill Ritter, Sade Baderinwa, Lee Goldberg and Rob Powers was #1 in DMA Households among newscasts that aired at 11pm, and was #1 on nights the Olympics did not air."

"On weekend nights, "Eyewitness News at 11," featuring Joe Torres, Sandra Bookman, Jeff Smith and Laura Behnke, was competitive despite having to face the locally-played Super Bowl in the first weekend of the sweep and the Olympics on other weekends."

So did WNBC win on nights the Olympics aired? If so that's impressive, because that was half the month of February.

I do not know for sure but I am assuming that is the case. No big surprise.

I find this very interesting, "WABC-TV's "Eyewitness News First at 4," with Liz Cho, David Novarro, and Lee Goldberg, is up year-to-year in key demos, where it also ties or tops many of its evening news competitors that air at 5pm and 6pm. Among DMA Households, "Eyewitness News First at 4" topped Olympics coverage in head-to-head airings."

In other words, WNBC was the #1 late news but only because of the olympics and when the olympics weren't on, WABC won at 11pm. This is usual with the olympics and WABC is already back on top.

A couple things to consider...

great thank you! good for ABC 7. Best newscast in the city

Being consistently #1 ratings-wise does NOT necessarily equate to being "best newscast". The New York market, historically and currently, is very conservative and traditional in terms of listening and viewing habits.

Take, for example, the recent huge changes over at WOR (710 AM) New York and WABC (770 AM) New York. Over the past decade their ratings have generally been steady. Following the recent changes involving John Gambling, Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, among others, many media watchers expected large shifts in listening habits. To date, no significant ratings shifts have occurred. This means that despite the fact that big-name air personalities have either left the building or shifted stations, the listeners have stayed pat.

These habits are similar for both radio and television. There is rarely any promotion for any of the television newscasts outside of the channels upon which they air. Once in a while, you'll see the anchors plastered on a large billboard, but that's about it. Cross-town competition in this market is all but non-existent; in fact, spots during the newscasts air at nearly the exact time for WABC-TV, WCBS-TV, and WNBC, so viewers who may switch from one station to another just see another commercial.

Old habits are hard to break, especially in the #1 DMA. These self-promoted victories are nearly meaningless, except to ad buyers. I think the viewers lose out ultimately because this consistency risks breeding complacency for stations like WABC-TV who feel that any change is a plus and for their competitors who feel that any change doesn't matter.

No big surprise.

Exactly.

Being consistently #1 ratings-wise does NOT necessarily equate to being "best newscast". The New York market, historically and currently, is very conservative and traditional in terms of listening and viewing habits.

Many would agree WABC is putting out the best news product in NY.

These habits are similar for both radio and television. There is rarely any promotion for any of the television newscasts outside of the channels upon which they air. Once in a while, you'll see the anchors plastered on a large billboard, but that's about it. Cross-town competition in this market is all but non-existent; in fact, spots during the newscasts air at nearly the exact time for WABC-TV, WCBS-TV, and WNBC, so viewers who may switch from one station to another just see another commercial.

I don't know where your are but if you've been to NYC you've seen plenty of news advertisements.

Old habits are hard to break, especially in the #1 DMA. These self-promoted victories are nearly meaningless, except to ad buyers. I think the viewers lose out ultimately because this consistency risks breeding complacency for stations like WABC-TV who feel that any change is a plus and for their competitors who feel that any change doesn't matter.

I agree, people get into viewing habits but I disagree with your analysis on change. Something that helps WABC a ton is that they don't change too often, where as WNBC and WCBS are always changing something, trying to get into first place and it never works.

Many would agree WABC is putting out the best news product in NY.

I don't know where your are but if you've been to NYC you've seen plenty of news advertisements.

I agree, people get into viewing habits but I disagree with your analysis on change. Something that helps WABC a ton is that they don't change too often, where as WNBC and WCBS are always changing something, trying to get into first place and it never works.

Define "news product", and advise where these news advertisements appear.

If it's witty banter and silly jingles that get stuck in one's head ("Weather & Heather"), that's marketing. If it's extensive and investigative journalism without advocacy, that's news content.

If one carefully watches Eyewitness News in 2014 and contrasts the newscast with it's former incarnation in, say, 2008, one will see a gradual shift toward marketing elements. And the changes are so gradual and subtle that it is hard to see the differences.

WABC-TV did change its entire news set and its location recently. EWN also shifted Joe Nolan to the lower-rated 4PM newscast and replaced him in AM with the perky easy on the eyes Heather O'Rourke. Many people did not like that change, and some still wonder where Nolan is to this day. Was that change to bolster the traffic report content or replace an experienced traffic reporter with a prettier faced one? What about Dr. Jay Adlersberg for all intents and purposes being replaced with Dr. Sapna Parikh? Again, was this only because of her vast medical knowledge, or may her attractive physical appearance have been a significant consideration in the decision?

These were major changes, yet you didn't even acknowledge one of them in your reply to me. That may indicate that you are not only in a viewing habit of watching EWN, you may be stuck in its matrix.

On the other hand, WCBS-TV puts more news content into its newscasts, and its promos for news and weather reflect this.

WABC-TV differs from its competition in that their changes are subtle. I agree that when a station makes abrupt changes, it often puts off viewers. See WCBS-TV circa 1996 and WPIX circa 2010 for prime examples of such viewer discontent.

I find this very interesting, "WABC-TV's "Eyewitness News First at 4," with Liz Cho, David Novarro, and Lee Goldberg, is up year-to-year in key demos, where it also ties or tops many of its evening news competitors that air at 5pm and 6pm. Among DMA Households, "Eyewitness News First at 4" topped Olympics coverage in head-to-head airings."

In other words, WNBC was the #1 late news but only because of the olympics and when the olympics weren't on, WABC won at 11pm. This is usual with the olympics and WABC is already back on top.

Understood, Thanks!

These were major changes, yet you didn't even acknowledge one of them in your reply to me. That may indicate that you are not only in a viewing habit of watching EWN, you may be stuck in its matrix.

Amazingly, people are behind these profiles, you don't need to offend someone because they don't agree with you. With that, I am just going to end this conversation.

I agree completely that WABC has made subtle changes over the years and shifted to a more generic/marketing-based news product.. And obviously I am a Ch. 7 fan. I would also agree that they are NOT putting out the best news content in the city. Sure, they may go the extra mile to cover breaking news and weather but in regular day-to-day news coverage, I have seen WCBS and WNBC outdo Eyewitness News in terms of quality reporting and content.

That said, I am a long time Channel 7 viewer.. From back in the days when Bill Beutel and Diana Williams anchored the 11pm news.. When Roz Abrams and Greg Hurst were the 5pm team...

While they have injected some more personality into their news product, Ch. 7 certainly has taken a step back in news content compared to 5, 10 and 20 years ago.

While they have injected some more personality into their news product, Ch. 7 certainly has taken a step back in news content compared to 5, 10 and 20 years ago.

This is true, the only thing I would add is that Ch. 7 is making this shift because this is how viewing habits are shifting. People are getting their news any time they want online so stations need to be doing something to catch viewers that isn't just necessarily "here's the day's news." Things like Investigations, stories affecting your life, etc... And as you correctly say, that's the shift we have seen at Ch. 7. I am agreeing with you, I am just adding.

I agree completely that WABC has made subtle changes over the years and shifted to a more generic/marketing-based news product.. And obviously I am a Ch. 7 fan. I would also agree that they are NOT putting out the best news content in the city. Sure, they may go the extra mile to cover breaking news and weather but in regular day-to-day news coverage, I have seen WCBS and WNBC outdo Eyewitness News in terms of quality reporting and content.

That said, I am a long time Channel 7 viewer.. From back in the days when Bill Beutel and Diana Williams anchored the 11pm news.. When Roz Abrams and Greg Hurst were the 5pm team...

My opinion on this is that WCBS does the best job when it comes to widepsread coverage. However, WABC does a great job covering breaking news and weather like "wabceyewitness" said. They are different in their coverage and like "behindnynews" just said, I think that's the reason they do well, as it's not just the day's news. But if I want to get right to business, sometimes WCBS puts out better no-nonsense content than WABC. Even WNBC isn't bad, but I don't watch them too much, as their programming doesn't seem to attract me. But that's just my opinion.

Amazingly, people are behind these profiles, you don't need to offend someone because they don't agree with you. With that, I am just going to end this conversation.

I'm sorry if you misunderstood my "matrix" comment, as I quote immediately below. I certainly did not mean to hurt your feelings.

Define "news product", and advise where these news advertisements appear.

If it's witty banter and silly jingles that get stuck in one's head ("Weather & Heather"), that's marketing. If it's extensive and investigative journalism without advocacy, that's news content.

If one carefully watches Eyewitness News in 2014 and contrasts the newscast with it's former incarnation in, say, 2008, one will see a gradual shift toward marketing elements. And the changes are so gradual and subtle that it is hard to see the differences.

WABC-TV did change its entire news set and its location recently. EWN also shifted Joe Nolan to the lower-rated 4PM newscast and replaced him in AM with the perky easy on the eyes Heather O'Rourke. Many people did not like that change, and some still wonder where Nolan is to this day. Was that change to bolster the traffic report content or replace an experienced traffic reporter with a prettier faced one? What about Dr. Jay Adlersberg for all intents and purposes being replaced with Dr. Sapna Parikh? Again, was this only because of her vast medical knowledge, or may her attractive physical appearance have been a significant consideration in the decision?

On the other hand, WCBS-TV puts more news content into its newscasts, and its promos for news and weather reflect this.

WABC-TV differs from its competition in that their changes are subtle. I agree that when a station makes abrupt changes, it often puts off viewers. See WCBS-TV circa 1996 and WPIX circa 2010 for prime examples of such viewer discontent.

My comments were intended as constructive. I feel the only way to be accurately critical of something is to do so objectively and step outside of any preconceived opinions of that particular thing and contrast it to its counterparts. Obviously we all have our preferences, and it can be hard to enforce that separation.

But a station and its audience are often a two-way street. With its consistent #1 ratings amongst key demographics across most time slots, and mostly supportive comments on social media, WABC-TV has fallen, IMHO, into a mindset that any change they make is positive, even if that change includes creating silly jingles or reducing hard news content. Any station should avoid attracting "fans" at all costs. That is a role best reserved for movie actors and pop singers, not news/sports/weather anchors.

This is true, the only thing I would add is that Ch. 7 is making this shift because this is how viewing habits are shifting. People are getting their news any time they want online so stations need to be doing something to catch viewers that isn't just necessarily "here's the day's news." Things like Investigations, stories affecting your life, etc... And as you correctly say, that's the shift we have seen at Ch. 7. I am agreeing with you, I am just adding.

No. WABC-TV has appropriately adjusted to viewing habits by adding the 4PM local newscast and expanding to an hour-long newscast weekend nights at 11PM. WPIX is attempting to do so with its planned 11AM newscast. A station does not adjust to viewing habits by presenting less hard and more fluff, or doing the other stuff I listed earlier. WPIX went off the deep end doing so abruptly in 2010 and suffered catastrophically as a consequence.

My opinion on this is that WCBS does the best job when it comes to widepsread coverage. However, WABC does a great job covering breaking news and weather like "wabceyewitness" said. They are different in their coverage and like "behindnynews" just said, I think that's the reason they do well, as it's not just the day's news. But if I want to get right to business, sometimes WCBS puts out better no-nonsense content than WABC. Even WNBC isn't bad, but I don't watch them too much, as their programming doesn't seem to attract me. But that's just my opinion.

I concur. Each station's newscasts have strengths, and it seems that when any of the stations correct a weakness, they suffer a little elsewhere. But this is understandable given how complex producing even one hour of news can be and how many creative talents are involved in the production.

Getting back to Eyewitness News, it's ratings are impressive, but good ratings should be driven by its relevant news content and not by popularity. When I tune in to a newscast, I want to be adequately informed, plain and simple.

Archived