WTAE Changes Branding

tylert

what about Alabama's ABC 33/40 News? That is a complete misnomer because 'Bama has six TV markets, not just Birmingham. I understand that Albritton is trying to lump Tuscaloosa and Anniston into one geographical area but each region of 'Bama is different. That would be similar to Michigan's Fox 2 News or Pennsylvania's WBRE Eyewitness News, it lumps everyone onto one region.

what about Alabama's ABC 33/40 News? That is a complete misnomer because 'Bama has six TV markets, not just Birmingham. I understand that Albritton is trying to lump Tuscaloosa and Anniston into one geographical area but each region of 'Bama is different. That would be similar to Michigan's Fox 2 News or Pennsylvania's WBRE Eyewitness News, it lumps everyone onto one region.

Michigan's Fox 2 News?

Yes and these branding names have expound in so many areas. I always thought how odd to name your station Alabama's ABC33/40, but over the years it click with the viewers. At one time it was 33 Eyewitness News. Would they ever go by ABC 33/40 EWN?

My issue with some of these stations branding names it gotten too extreme IMO. Like for instance KOAT in the Q

has been known as Action 7 News. To me why not just be either KOAT 7 Action News or Ch. 7 Action News. Having the 7 in the middle of the name just seems too weird for me.

Another example is when Chicago, NY, LA all had CBS2, NBC4, ABC7 then you saw other markets jumping on the bandwagon of having their stations non O&O using the affiliation network with the channel number. If we ever saw WSB just dump Action News brand to become ABC 2 Atlanta News I think the audience would have a heart attack. Or if WXIA became NBC 11 Alive there would be too much uproar. I say stick to something easy, simple branding name nothing over the top, but something that stick to the viewer.

Every market can't be an ABC7, CBS2, or NBC 5. What I like about what Post-Newsweek did was re-brand most of their station as Local # News which was different , but simple. Their emphasis on local news in those markets.

However WFTS I think should bring back their # and go by ABC 28 Action News, but I'm not a fan of KSND NBC 7 where they were once 39Alive back decades ago. I understand their cable #. Again too extreme IMO.

Michigan's Fox 2 News?

he's just using that as an example. Trying to say it makes no sense for a station that serves a relatively small portion of the state to brand themselves with the state name as if they cover the whole state.

Another example of this is WESH back in the early 90's, branded themselves as Florida's 2 even though their viewing area was small relative to the rest of the state.

What I like about what Post-Newsweek did was re-brand most of their station as Local # News which was different , but simple. Their emphasis on local news in those markets.

That actually didn't catch on here. For a brief period in 2004, KSAT rebranded themselves as "Local 12" for everything outside of newscasts. Viewer uproar caused them to reinstate the KSAT brand pretty quickly. Then they became "Local KSAT 12". Awkward as that sounds, they eventually steered clear of the Local mandate and now they're the only P-N station that doesn't conform to it at all (WJXT still is "THE Local Station" and everyone else uses the brand).

My issue with some of these stations branding names it gotten too extreme IMO. Like for instance KOAT in the Q

has been known as Action 7 News. To me why not just be either KOAT 7 Action News or Ch. 7 Action News. Having the 7 in the middle of the name just seems too weird for me.

However WFTS I think should bring back their # and go by ABC 28 Action News, but I'm not a fan of KSND NBC 7 where they were once 39Alive back decades ago. I understand their cable #. Again too extreme IMO.

The two parts of your post that I condensed it to upon quoting are two things that I very much agree with.

First, about that thing with having the channel number between Action and News (as has been the case with KOAT in Albuquerque and quite a few others): believe it or not, WHAS in Louisville (formerly CBS, now ABC) used to be like that with Action 11 News, and WDAF in KC (formerly NBC, now FOX) was formerly called Action 4 News. Why would stations put the channel number in between Action and News?! It makes no sense whatsoever.

Secondly, that thing about NBC7 in SD: I also thought that this 1985 39 Alive ID with the Proud N (here attached) was far simpler than the way it is now with the NBC7 branding.

kcstsandiego85.jpg.5bd82a36631f00729a98d6eb66bc5560.jpg

How about Kansas First News?

The two parts of your post that I condensed it to upon quoting are two things that I very much agree with.

First, about that thing with having the channel number between Action and News (as has been the case with KOAT in Albuquerque and quite a few others): believe it or not, WHAS in Louisville (formerly CBS, now ABC) used to be like that with Action 11 News, and WDAF in KC (formerly NBC, now FOX) was formerly called Action 4 News. Why would stations put the channel number in between Action and News?! It makes no sense whatsoever.

Secondly, that thing about NBC7 in SD: I also thought that this 1985 39 Alive ID with the Proud N (here attached) was far simpler than the way it is now with the NBC7 branding.

So does KSHB branding themselves as "41 Action News" make more sense to you? I'm being serious.

• 2 weeks later...

While I do realize that many television stations have included their city in their branding from time to time, you can't deny that "Pittsburgh's Action News 4" is a mouthful. Plus, they use it *constantly*. They say the whole thing even when they're tossing to a reporter ("Pittsburgh's Action News 4 reporter Bob Mayo is live with the story...")

Archived