LIN is merging with Media General

CircleSeven

Here are the stations I think will be sold off by MG:

WVTM-either Meredith or Nexstar but don't rule out Gannett

WKRG-Raycom might be looking at completing its Alabama News Source. However, Meredith might want to cluster up and buy both WVTM and WKRG.

WJCL (and the WTGS LMA)- More than likely it will be a three-battle between Gray, Sinclair (please God, not them), and Nexstar.

WLUK/WCWF-It would be perfect for Gray but again don't rule out the Hunt Valley Heathens. However, MG might keep 11/14 because of the station makes $$$$ off the Packers.

WJAR-Due to WPRI being CBS and the popularity of the Patriots, WJAR will be the sacrificial lamb. My guess is that Meredith or Sinclair will snatch it up.

You're overvaluing the Packer aspect. Most of the ad revenue during Packer games is going to the network, not the local station. The only station that will make significant coin on the Packers is the one designated as the "Official Packers Station" with rights to preseason games, coach's show and other official programming (currently WGBA).

Wisconsin is a big political advertising state. You're going to want to keep the station that gets the biggest percentage of the political advertising pie. That's probably WBAY.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By the way while the LIN-MG deal is being worked out LIN can shop around for a better price. I don't know which companies are interested but if someone offers more than what Media General is willing to pay then we could looking at a super group

It's possible, but not likely. There would certainly be repercussions and penalty fees that the new buyer would have to pay Media General if they outbid in the process. That said, Sinclair did try to grab Belo during the shareholders' meeting in the Gannett deal (with no success), so there is some precedence.

Link: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-10-09/sinclair-seen-weighing-gray-takeover-after-losing-belo-real-m-a.html

It's possible, but not likely. There would certainly be repercussions and penalty fees that the new buyer would have to pay Media General if they outbid in the process. That said, Sinclair did try to grab Belo during the shareholders' meeting in the Gannett deal (with no success), so there is some precedence.

Link: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-10-09/sinclair-seen-weighing-gray-takeover-after-losing-belo-real-m-a.html

Considering that would only be $50 million, could another buyer be interested if they are will to pony up as much as $2 billion? Let's see which major groups might want it.

You-Know-Who: if they were to acquire LIN, they would have almost 200 stations in its control and LIN would probably cause Hunt Valley Heathens to have massive debt and might finally break You-Know-Who

Raycom: Notorius for being a tad miserly, would Raycom want to pay $2 Billion? The reward for Raycom would be to have plenty of stations in Ohio (WDTN, WTOL/WUPW, WXIX, WOIO/WUAB, WKBN/WYFX-LD/WYTV). Plus LIN's and Raycom's station portfolios are similar (mostly CBS/NBC/Fox but few ABC).

Tribune: With Tribune now a major TV group, buying LIN will expand the group and make them a powerplayer. However, with Tribune only using its Dreamcatcher sidecar for newspaper conflicts, will Tribune want to continue LIN's grandfathered LMAs/SSAs? Plus the Local TV deal and having to upgrade those stations might leave Tribune a little cash-strapped.

If you know any other groups that will be interested comment and if you want, rebuff me

Considering that would only be $50 million, could another buyer be interested if they are will to pony up as much as $2 billion? Let's see which major groups might want it.

You-Know-Who: if they were to acquire LIN, they would have almost 200 stations in its control and LIN would probably cause Hunt Valley Heathens to have massive debt and might finally break You-Know-Who

Raycom: Notorius for being a tad miserly, would Raycom want to pay $2 Billion? The reward for Raycom would be to have plenty of stations in Ohio (WDTN, WTOL/WUPW, WXIX, WOIO/WUAB, WKBN/WYFX-LD/WYTV). Plus LIN's and Raycom's station portfolios are similar (mostly CBS/NBC/Fox but few ABC).

Tribune: With Tribune now a major TV group, buying LIN will expand the group and make them a powerplayer. However, with Tribune only using its Dreamcatcher sidecar for newspaper conflicts, will Tribune want to continue LIN's grandfathered LMAs/SSAs? Plus the Local TV deal and having to upgrade those stations might leave Tribune a little cash-strapped.

If you know any other groups that will be interested comment and if you want, rebuff me

Tribune might be off the table in this case, to buy LIN during the window to match any offers. I think the Local TV purchase put them over the ownership cap, assuming that the UHF discount actually is no longer being enforced (I don't think they voted on actually abolishing it yet, all I've heard that they were grandfathering all existing ownership that would go over the cap as if the discount no longer existed). If the discount is no longer being enforced, Tribune as it is now would have a market reach of just over 40%. If the discount is still treated as existing, it would be possible to acquire it, assuming that a few stations don't put it over the cap.

Tribune would also have to sell off stations in conflicting markets, like Indianapolis, since the FCC is now cracking down on LMA/JSA/SSAs. So, using Dreamcatcher is out the window.

Tribune might be off the table in this case, to buy LIN during the window to match any offers. I think the Local TV purchase put them over the ownership cap, assuming that the UHF discount actually is no longer being enforced (I don't think they voted on actually abolishing it yet, all I've heard that they were grandfathering all existing ownership that would go over the cap as if the discount no longer existed). If the discount is no longer being enforced, Tribune as it is now would have a market reach of just over 40%. If the discount is still treated as existing, it would be possible to acquire it, assuming that a few stations don't put it over the cap.

Tribune would also have to sell off stations in conflicting markets, like Indianapolis, since the FCC is now cracking down on LMA/JSA/SSAs. So, using Dreamcatcher is out the window.

Yeah you are right is the deal as it stands leaves severe conflicts with either of these groups:

Tribune:

Indianapolis- WISH/WNDY and WTTV/WXIN

Hartford- WTIC/WCCT, WTNH/WCTX and Hartford Courant

Norfolk/Hampton Roads- WTKR/WGNT, WAVY/WVBT, and the Newport News Daily Press

Grand Rapids- WOOD/WOTV and WXMI

Raycom:

Honolulu- KHON and KGMB/KHNL/KFVE

Savannah- WTOC and WJCL/WTGS

Birmingham-WIAT and WBRC

You-Know-Who:

Birmingham- WIAT and WBMA+/WTTO+/WABM

Buffalo- WIVB/WNLO and WUTV/WNYO

Dayton- WDTN and WKEF/WRGT

Mobile (this one gets REALLY ugly)- WALA/WFNA and WEAR/WPMI/WFGX/WJTC

Portland- KATU and KOIN

Grand Rapids- WOOD/WOTV and WWMT

Wichita- KSNW+ and KSAS+

Hampton Roads- WAVY/WVBT and WTVZ

Austin- KXAN/KNVA/KBVO and KEYE

Looks like the least messy M&A would be Raycheap, I mean Raycrap, I mean Raycum, I mean...screw it, let's call them the people who torture us with 19 Action News. :(

Looks like the least messy M&A would be Raycheap, I mean Raycrap, I mean Raycum, I mean...screw it, let's call them the people who torture us with 19 Action News. :(

For all their bouts of infamy aside, 19 Action News has been the most successful news product to have ever come out of WOIO. And they de facto swapped Sharon Reed for Romona Robinson two years ago, so give them some credit on that.

For all their bouts of infamy aside, 19 Action News has been the most successful news product to have ever come out of WOIO. And they de facto swapped Sharon Reed for Romona Robinson two years ago, so give them some credit on that.

This. It's one of the rare cases where a post-New World Big Three has been able to hold on to market leadership.

I personally think that Tribune is not in a buying mood after just having swallowed up LocalTV (and the only real reason that deal occurred was due to preexisting ties that Tribune and LocalTV had).

They still have to finish spinning off their newspapers, which is the sole reason that the Dreamcatcher shell even exists.

19 Action News is more of a Bill Applegate than a Raycom thing. WOIO tried and failed miserably being run as a Raycom station during the "Hometeam" years. It's been watered down over the years and I expect it to be watered down even more after Bill Applegate retires.

They're more cut out for smaller markets like those in Alabama. As anyone knows who's ever seen a Raycom station, and all those commercials they run for the Robert Trent Jones golf trail.....

I wonder if they get both WALA/WFNA out of the deal if they will try the WUAB "The Block" approach. Duopolies like these are not one of Raycom's strong suits as they have driven WUAB into the ground under their ownership.

19 Action News is more of a Bill Applegate than a Raycom thing. WOIO tried and failed miserably being run as a Raycom station during the "Hometeam" years. It's been watered down over the years and I expect it to be watered down even more after Bill Applegate retires.

They're more cut out for smaller markets like those in Alabama. As anyone knows who's ever seen a Raycom station, and all those commercials they run for the Robert Trent Jones golf trail.....

I wonder if they get both WALA/WFNA out of the deal if they will try the WUAB "The Block" approach. Duopolies like these are not one of Raycom's strong suits as they have driven WUAB into the ground under their ownership.

Not only that, Raycom like cookie-cutter (even more than You-Know-Who). An examole of that is over in Youngstown, LIN's WKBN and Vaughan's WYTV ; the news department is combined yet have two seperate newscasts. Would Raycom scrap that and go the "Hawaii News Now" route? Something tells me they will royally mess up the 'KBN/'YTV combo and have market leader WFMJ laughing all the way to the bank.

I also forgot to mention, since Raycom seems to prefer Southern and Ohio stations, would they take a chance on having stations in Buffalo, Hartford, and Providence? Plus like you said tyrannical baatard, Raycom might take "the block" approach with WNLO (The Block 23) and WCTX (9 the Block) and possibly wreck them both, esocialky WNLO (which actually has the #1 10pm news in Buffalo).

I just have a hunch that Raycom isn't even going to bid for any of them. That they haven't bought a single station in that past several years is a big reason (and Raycom's owner, the Retirement Systems of Alabama, has final say over such transactions). The Mobile market is the only one I can really think they be interested in getting into.

They could try to acquire WALA/WFNA via a trade (WOIO/WUAB to MG?) but that's about it.

MG might be willing to trade a few stations to Raycom in order to get WOIO/WUAB, WTOL/WUPW, and WXIX and have a huge cluster in a battleground state such as Ohio. Question is,is Raycom willing to let go of its 19/43 duo?

Not only that, Raycom like cookie-cutter (even more than You-Know-Who).

Not necessarily. WBTV has been using its own in-house GFX package for several years (with a couple tweaks, as well as a couple of elements from the Raycom standardized package, mainly during weather). This started shortly after they moved to their current set (in 2009).

Not necessarily. WBTV has been using its own in-house GFX package for several years (with a couple tweaks, as well as a couple of elements from the Raycom standardized package, mainly during weather). This started shortly after they moved to their current set (in 2009).

I understand WBTV is supposed to debut new graphics and I think a new set too in the summer. (May be wrong about the set). But I think the graphics may be what they have been using in their 11:00 news intro.

Not only that, Raycom like cookie-cutter (even more than You-Know-Who).

Tell that to WBRC's art department, who have successfully blended elements of the Raycom graphics package into their own variant of the Fox O&O look.

Raycom hasn't had anywhere close to a graphics mandate that other groups like Gannett and Scripps have.

MG might be willing to trade a few stations to Raycom in order to get WOIO/WUAB, WTOL/WUPW, and WXIX and have a huge cluster in a battleground state such as Ohio. Question is,is Raycom willing to let go of its 19/43 duo?

It's all subjective. I don't think Raycom really wants to give up any of those stations.

This whole argument could be completely for moot. Again, I just have a hard time seeing Raycom buying into any merger spillover from LIN/MG when they have stood pat in this M&A madness. Same thing with Hearst, and prior to KMOV/KTVK, Meredith.

I understand WBTV is supposed to debut new graphics and I think a new set too in the summer. (May be wrong about the set). But I think the graphics may be what they have been using in their 11:00 news intro.

Well, Raycom is moving their graphics hub to Charlotte, so I wouldn't be surprised if they debut a completely new package in the future.

Well, Raycom is moving their graphics hub to Charlotte, so I wouldn't be surprised if they debut a completely new package in the future.

Do you mean Raycom Design Group in Tucson Arizona is moving to WBTV? Last I heard that KOLD did all of the graphics.

Do you mean Raycom Design Group in Tucson Arizona is moving to WBTV? Last I heard that KOLD did all of the graphics.

While I wish they'd stay in Tucson, Charlotte is a bigger city, closer to the majority of Raycom's portfolio (Tucson is their westernmost station in the contiguous US) and probably an easier place to attract talent.

While I wish they'd stay in Tucson, Charlotte is a bigger city, closer to the majority of Raycom's portfolio (Tucson is their westernmost station in the contiguous US) and probably an easier place to attract talent.

I do have to admit, WBTV has very nice graphics so maybe moving graphics hub to Charlotte will finally the 'BTV crew a chance to improve graphics on all of the Raycom stations.

With this new JSAs ban that the FCC has implemented, this will give companies like LIN an incentive to shut down its sidecared stations and begin to operate it on subchannels (WKBN 27.3/WYFX 19.2-ABC, WDTN 2.2-CW, KSNT 27.3-ABC, etc, etc). I would hate to see how degraded the picture would look both figuratively and literally.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

LIN has completed its "Window-Shopping" period Wednesday. And it appears that no other buyers made a successful "qualifying superior acquisition proposal".

I strongly wonder if some of the unsuccessful bidders would be buying some of the MG or LIN spinoffs. I still thought Meredith would have a chance to take LIN. Well, It would interesting to when they finally post the FCC paperwork. It'll probably be the same way like they did with MG/Young deal and have every station involved in the TOC app.

This doesn't necessarily mean that LIN is immune to getting other offers, but still, Hearst is missing a huge opportunity here. They're the most notable major group not to have gained anything during all of this.

Archived