WXYZ Graphics Oddity

ns8401

I was watching the noon newscast on WXYZ yesterday and noticed a rather interesting graphic when they were previewing the 5pm newscast. They did a split screen with the anchor box small and the preview footage box dominating the screen and on the right a red band running the length of the screen vertically came up and it had the stations old slogan "On Your Side". That Slogan has been out of use since mid-2011 (It's now "Taking Action For You") and was running vertically in two narrow bands with the words slightly overlapping in each one. A large space, and then at the far right of the red band in the center turned 90 degrees clockwise was an small thin ghosted ABC O&O style 7 with no ABC logo as opposed to my profile picture. The current logo was at the bottom of the band partially covered by the bug (same as my profile pic) and lower third. The red band had no other lettering or markings and stayed up the length of the preview. It looked like something they might have used in their final Giant Octopus package. Also the 7 on their morning ticker graphic has been changed to not have an ABC logo and they renamed their youtube page to reflect their old branding as "Channel 7". I know that hubbed graphics don't happen by accident and Scripps doesn't own any more 7's so could this be a sign of a re-brand or does anyone know if any of the other Scripps stations use anything that looks remotely similar?

I didn't think fast enough to grab a screen-shot with my phone, I will see if I can get an image of it Monday, if they run it again.

Scripps will own another 7 - WKBW. I'd say something about they're trying to make those logos the same, but Scripps also owns WEWS and WPTV, both on channel 5. WPTV uses the original design WEWS uses, while WEWS uses that awful-looking redesigned version. You'd think hubbed graphics would solve that, but no...

EDIT: What was WXYZ identifying as? I always thought it was "Channel 7 Action News" and "Channel 7". Were they "7ABC" or something?

Scripps will own another 7 - WKBW. I'd say something about they're trying to make those logos the same, but Scripps also owns WEWS and WPTV, both on channel 5. WPTV uses the original design WEWS uses, while WEWS uses that awful-looking redesigned version. You'd think hubbed graphics would solve that, but no...

EDIT: What was WXYZ identifying as? I always thought it was "Channel 7 Action News" and "Channel 7". Were they "7ABC" or something?

Each station has it's own logo despite all the hubbing, go figure. WKBW's doesn't look quite right, but then neither does the big fat 7.

This takes some explaining because unified branding and WXYZ don't always match as well as they could:

In 2001 Bill Carey came in and remade it into an O&O looking station, Eyewitness News Music, Better Graphics, On Your Side slogan, Bob Tracy VO.

- From 2001-2006 it was "Channel 7" In Promos and reporter to anchor throwbacks but the news intro was "You're watching WXYZ 7 now 7 action news at __"

-From 2006-2008 it was still the same in promos and throwbacks but the intro changed to just " You're watching Michigans first HD newscast 7 Action News at ____" Bill Ratner VO

-From 2008-2009 it was "Channel 7" in everything as the intro changed to "Now Channel 7 Action News" this was the same time the 7 got the ABC logo

-When the Scripps Group graphics package #1 debuted in 2009 it became "Channel 7 Action News Starts Right Now" and everything was channel 7 still with old branding carried over in news segements.

In mid 2011 the station dropped Bill Ratner, they dropped the On Your Side slogan and "Channel 7" (Which had been around since 1972) and went with plain old 7.

Andy Van Slyke became VO and "Taking Action For You" became the Slogan. New Studio, 7 Action News (Title and throwbacks), 7 First Alert weather etc. Intro's became "7 Action News Starts Right Now".

With the 2012 graphics it's "You're Watching 7 Action News, Always Taking Action For You".

-Since they rebranded I have seen:

7, 7abc (in an weather promo for storm coverage it said "on air, on line, on the "7abc" app" which is never called that), channel 7 and the strangest was "WXYZ ABC7 Detroit" on a poster when they were interviewing the station manager in one of their conference rooms when WMYD got bought in February.

Their YouTube page just went from "wxyztvdetroit" to WXYZ-TV Detroit / Channel 7"

So now "Channel" is back in vogue again.

I have heard it for news used interchangeably by the air staff:

Channel 7 Action News

7 Action News

Action News

And for the station (used interchangeably by everyone):

Channel 7

So it's been tough to keep track of but despite how inconsistent they can be it's 7 and 7 action news officially as of now, but it seems to change all the time.

I keep forgetting about that one, it was enough remembering the 9 they had let alone adding 12 more. That and now WKBW from Granite and the duopoly they will have here with WMYD. I hope they don't get too many more, I'm gonna need a scorecard.

Four Letters:

K, M, G & H.

That was exactly what I was thinking. How many ABC 7's will Scipps own?

KMGH is rebranding from The Denver Channel to 7News Denver. I don't think I like that too much. KDVR is Fox 31 Denver and it feels silly to have the market name within the station branding. I would prefer ABC 7 and Fox 31, tbh.

KMGH is rebranding from The Denver Channel to 7News Denver. I don't think I like that too much. KDVR is Fox 31 Denver and It feels silly to have the market name within the station branding. I would prefer ABC 7 and Fox 31, tbh.

Is that a thing? I haven't been home in a while, but thedenverchannel.com still appears to be their website.

Each station has it's own logo despite all the hubbing, go figure. WKBW's doesn't look quite right, but then neither does the big fat 7.

This takes some explaining because unified branding and WXYZ don't always match as well as they could:

In 2001 Bill Carey came in and remade it into an O&O looking station, Eyewitness News Music, Better Graphics, On Your Side slogan, Bob Tracy VO.

- From 2001-2006 it was "Channel 7" In Promos and reporter to anchor throwbacks but the news intro was "You're watching WXYZ 7 now 7 action news at __"

-From 2006-2008 it was still the same in promos and throwbacks but the intro changed to just " You're watching Michigans first HD newscast 7 Action News at ____" Bill Ratner VO

-From 2008-2009 it was "Channel 7" in everything as the intro changed to "Now Channel 7 Action News" this was the same time the 7 got the ABC logo

-When the Scripps Group graphics package #1 debuted in 2009 it became "Channel 7 Action News Starts Right Now" and everything was channel 7 still with old branding carried over in news segements.

In mid 2011 the station dropped Bill Ratner, they dropped the On Your Side slogan and "Channel 7" (Which had been around since 1972) and went with plain old 7.

Andy Van Slyke became VO and "Taking Action For You" became the Slogan. New Studio, 7 Action News (Title and throwbacks), 7 First Alert weather etc. Intro's became "7 Action News Starts Right Now".

With the 2012 graphics it's "You're Watching 7 Action News, Always Taking Action For You".

-Since they rebranded I have seen:

7, 7abc (in an weather promo for storm coverage it said "on air, on line, on the "7abc" app" which is never called that), channel 7 and the strangest was "WXYZ ABC7 Detroit" on a poster when they were interviewing the station manager in one of their conference rooms when WMYD got bought in February.

Their YouTube page just went from "wxyztvdetroit" to WXYZ-TV Detroit / Channel 7"

So now "Channel" is back in vogue again.

I have heard it for news used interchangeably by the air staff:

Channel 7 Action News

7 Action News

Action News

And for the station (used interchangeably by everyone):

Channel 7

So it's been tough to keep track of but despite how inconsistent they can be it's 7 and 7 action news officially as of now, but it seems to change all the time.

Good or bad, Scripps allows it's stations to pretty much brand anyway which way they want. The thing is though, you don't want to have three or four different types of branding for a station- stick to one or two (i.e. 7Action News/7ABC). In regards to the ABC logo, they just can't completely get rid of it since the ABC affiliation agreement requires that the ABC logo appear next to the station logo. On a side note, does anyone know where the Scripps graphics hub is located?

Good or bad, Scripps allows it's stations to pretty much brand anyway which way they want. The thing is though, you don't want to have three or four different types of branding for a station- stick to one or two (i.e. 7Action News/7ABC). In regards to the ABC logo, they just can't completely get rid of it since the ABC affiliation agreement requires that the ABC logo appear next to the station logo. On a side note, does anyone know where the Scripps graphics hub is located?

Yes. The Scripps graphics hub is at WFTS in Tampa.

I think the WEWS 5 is nice looking. I just wish that ABC would stop requiring that their logo be nearby. It's like they're stalking their affiliates! And besides, most people know where their ABC station is, so they don't always need to put the ABC logo there.

They used to have a 7abc logo in the newsroom on a wall out of view and as the official logo in station materials, it wasn't until late 2008 that the logo appeared on the air. Now it's on everything which is fine, but now that they got it everywhere finally it's left the ticker and that graphic I saw. But if it's required I suspect that was why they did the 2008 change to their old thinner bug. The version I use above is from 2012.

KMGH is rebranding from The Denver Channel to 7News Denver. I don't think I like that too much. KDVR is Fox 31 Denver and it feels silly to have the market name within the station branding. I would prefer ABC 7 and Fox 31, tbh.

WKBW Buffalo

WMGH Denver

WXYZ Detroit

About the "Action News" branding, Scripps has 3 stations that use it: KSHB, WFTS and WXYZ. They're 41 Action News, ABC Action News and 7 Action News respectively. Seeing that alone, one would be inclined to think that Scripps really likes that "Action News" branding and doesn't mind if their stations have it. Hell, I'm almost surprised more of their stations haven't picked it up.

As for the ABC 7's, just leave them alone to do their own thing. If Scripps is really THAT big on them all having a similar identity, then that's their business.

I'd like to see a screen shot of that split screen graphic you were talking about though.

When WEWS adopted their current "5" logo back in 2007, it actually managed to look even worse than what it currently does...

wews_tv5_cleveland.png

There is no explanation or justification for that design. How in the hell could they not find guidelines for the original design? I'm sure they exist somewhere at the WEWS studios. Why did no one at WEWS even think of calling WPTV's then-existing art department?

On a related note, WKBW's logo - such as it is - needs to be put out of its' misery. A DNR form is appropriate enough. If that means either the WXYZ design or the KMGH design is used on WKBW, so be it. But a redesign will likely take place once the Scripps hubbed graphics come to the station.

About the "Action News" branding, Scripps has 3 stations that use it: KSHB, WFTS and WXYZ. They're 41 Action News, ABC Action News and 7 Action News respectively. Seeing that alone, one would be inclined to think that Scripps really likes that "Action News" branding and doesn't mind if their stations have it. Hell, I'm almost surprised more of their stations haven't picked it up.

As for the ABC 7's, just leave them alone to do their own thing. If Scripps is really THAT big on them all having a similar identity, then that's their business.

I'd like to see a screen shot of that split screen graphic you were talking about though.

WEWS can't take "Action News" because WOIO/WUAB laid claim to the name a decade ago. (EWN - which WEWS dropped in 1990 for "News Channel 5" - is still available, tho...)

And it must also be noted that WMC-TV's usage of "Action News" dates back to the 70s under then-owner Scripps, and has continued ever since under Ellis and Raycom.

When WEWS adopted their current "5" logo back in 2007, it actually managed to look even worse than what it currently does...

wews_tv5_cleveland.png

There is no explanation or justification for that design. How in the hell could they not find guidelines for the original design? I'm sure they exist somewhere at the WEWS studios. Why did no one at WEWS even think of calling WPTV's then-existing art department?

On a related note, WKBW's logo - such as it is - needs to be put out of its' misery. A DNR form is appropriate enough. If that means either the WXYZ design or the KMGH design is used on WKBW, so be it. But a redesign will likely take place once the Scripps hubbed graphics come to the station.

That's nothing compared to KGTV's awkwardly placed ABC logo on the 10. It looks like a mole.

WMGH Denver?! I think you have us confused with another Denver.

That's what I get for writing at 3am, I meant KMGH. Oops.

Maybe I was thinking of?

I never knew there were this many Denvers!

That's what I get for writing at 3am, I meant KMGH. Oops.

Maybe I was thinking of?

I never knew there were this many Denvers!

Wikipedia doesn't have a page of this, but there's also a Denver, Oklahoma.

That's pretty good, still no sign of that graphic, in the meantime here are a couple links to that ticker I mentioned earlier:

This one is the old with ABC logo from October 23rd. They used it into 2014.

it appears at 2:23, this is the new version without the ABC logo and is from this morning.

One of the brought to you by bumper Vo's now says Action News rather than 7 Action News, same sponsor, just redone or edited VO.

I have a general question about graphics hubbing: can a station request something/make a suggestion that would make them better, have it approved and then corporate make it a group-wide update if they like it? I feel like with some of the changes Scripps has made to their graphics, (most notably the ticker and breaking news slide/L3), a some station made a request, Scripps liked it and then made it a group-wide thing. That, or everyone kept complaining (their original ticker was horrendous).

That's pretty good, still no sign of that graphic, in the meantime here are a couple links to that ticker I mentioned earlier:

This one is the old with ABC logo from October 23rd. They used it into 2014.

it appears at 2:23, this is the new version without the ABC logo and is from this morning.

One of the brought to you by bumper Vo's now says Action News rather than 7 Action News, same sponsor, just redone or edited VO.

Seems like they wanted the 7 to be more visible, you can barely see the abc logo anyways. KGTV debuted the updated ticker a few weeks ago, when they updated the ABC logo in the 10. Have you seen the Breaking News L3's? I just saw them a few weeks ago as well, and they turn red when there is a breaking news story. I will say that this Scripps package is very versatile compared to the previous one, and each station has their own unique customization to it. Too bad that they can't use other colors beside orange/white in the opens.

Archived