KXNW

KZJO

WGN-TV

WGN/720

WGWG-LP/6 "87.7 The Game"

WGN.fm

CLTV

** indicates a LocalTV station

Homemade... which is why I won't mind if Tribune decides to give us the graphics from some of its other FOX stations.

The websites are always the first to switch in a merger. Then the branding changes. WDAF will almost certainly get the new Tribune West package.

The websites are always the first to switch in a merger. Then the branding changes. WDAF will almost certainly get the new Tribune West package.

OH GOD I HOPE SO! living here in KC makes it so hard to watch FOX4 because all the other stations have these profesional packages and then all you see is FOX4's and it makes you hope for new graphics!

EWWW.... Those L3s on WDAF looked ugly as hell.

promo225997614.jpg?w=370&h=204&crop=1

Compared to WGHP's current on-air look (such as it is), this isn't THAT bad.

After all, WJW is still using the original L3s from the first generation O&O package!

Tribune's graphics standardization for all their Fox affils was announced three days before they bought LocalTV. I doubt they would leave all the LocalTV Fox stations out in the lurch (KDVR being the lone exception of a LocalTV Fox affiliate that managed to **improve** their on-air look).

EWWW.... Those L3s on WDAF looked ugly as hell.

promo225997614.jpg?w=370&h=204&crop=1

The powerpoints of L3s that I did on my Galaxy Note 3 look better than this piece of crap. Hell, even WJW's dated L3s look better than that.

Compared to WGHP's current on-air look (such as it is), this isn't THAT bad.

After all, WJW is still using the original L3s from the first generation O&O package!Tribune's graphics standardization for all their Fox affils was announced three days before they bought LocalTV. I doubt they would leave all the LocalTV Fox stations out in the lurch (KDVR being the lone exception of a LocalTV Fox affiliate that managed to **improve** their on-air look).

Ok. But there are system conversion, continuity issues, employment, contract and tax issues first. There is more to a ownership switch over than simply graphics. Most of which are behind the scenes!

These new sites suck big time.

wmgn.png

The weather icon blocks off most off the headline of one of the stories. Even worse, you scroll the page up and down and menu bar follows along with you pinned to the top! :bang:

An example of why you shouldn't use Word-Press for a news site... The old Tribune CMS the stations used (print still uses it) before they switched to wordpress was 100X better than this.

wmgn.png

The weather icon blocks off most off the headline of one of the stories. Even worse, you scroll the page up and down and menu bar follows along with you pinned to the top! :bang:

An example of why you shouldn't use Word-Press for a news site... The old Tribune CMS the stations used (print still uses it) before they switched to wordpress was 100X better than this.

Umm, not sure what browser you're using, but for me the weather stays in the top menu bar next to the "Jobs" tab.

And the menu bar following along isn't anything new. Look at NBC News.

Umm, not sure what browser you're using, but for me the weather stays in the top menu bar next to the "Jobs" tab.

And the menu bar following along isn't anything new. Look at NBC News.

That was in Chrome. It loads the same in Firefox:

5gka.png

But if you mess around with it a bit (scroll to the middle then scroll very slowly to the top) you can end up with this:

cqx0.png

Thing is, I shouldn't have to mess with the site just to read one of the headlines. Poor design, poor execution.

Also NBC News' current design is pretty awful (old one was arguably one of the best). Even these Tribune sites look better than that trainwreck. If you want to see what a network site should look like, and don't have menu bars following you, check CBS, Fox, even ABC (although the amount of fluff there makes their site a skip for me).

EDIT:

ut8k.pngAlright, it loads like you described but only if I disable Ad-Block, which is not really an option for me. I'll pass on Tribune's sites since there are much better sites I can get my news from that have a decent design and not something designed for mobile since I am desktop first user.

wmgn.png

I have to disagree. Never cared one bit for the 2009 Tribune Interactive design that WJW used post-MyFox interface. It had a cluttered look and tried to do too much. (Still, I'd take the 2009 Tribune Interactive design over S!nclair's unwieldy CMS interface.) The 2012 LocalTV design, which used Wordpress VIP, was reliable, but starting to show it's age.

As for the menu bar, I'm using Safari on my iPad and it's not doing this on every page... just a sporadic spacing issue. Speaking from experience, those are hell to fix.

Definitely an improvement over the the previous website, and the former MyFox and Fox platforms they had for what seemed an eternity.

Cleveland was very late to the party when it came to station websites. WJW experimented with a website in 1995, but the first full-time independent website was started by then-independent station WBNX in 1996.

It would take Internet Broadcast Systems to launch WEWS's site in 1998, followed by WKYC.com and Fox8Cleveland.com in 1999. Worldnow finally launched WOIO and WUAB's sites in 2000.

Until the stations launched their sites, WOIO used CBS's platform that launched in 1998, and WKYC forged a partnership with Cleveland.com (The Plain Dealer & Sun Newspapers)

Fox's design was antiquated by the time it was replaced...it lasted from 1999 all the way until 2007!

Speaking of an eternity, the FOX O&O graphics need to go! If WJW has not been redone in its last days under FOX's ownership, they would probably have the KDVR/WTVR package. It's been added on and mutated so many times, it's almost like WALA's old package which lasted a decade until they went HD in 2012.

As has WHNT.

Might as well repost the updated complete list over here...

The following stations have all switched over:

KDVR**

KWGN

KFOR**

KAUT**

KTVI**

KPLR

KDAF

KSTU**

WNEP**

WREG**

WTKR**