2014 May Sweeps Results

TexasTVNews

I feel like KFMB when out of viewers' habits. The don't have a great product.

I wonder how much the wildfires had to do with their victories. Plus, they haven't done well in the mornings several years now, I wonder what changed that would drive the viewers to 8 (could it be that they got rid of those cheap in-house graphics last year, or the fact that they have the only chopper/reporter in town?) I do agree that their product is not that great- it was a lot better during the late 90s/early 00s. On the flip side, It's disappointing to know that KNSD was not able to win any time slot, they've really stepped up their game and put out a far superior product IMO.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heeeeerrrrreeee's Atlanta's...and it's the same old result.

WXIA's news audience decreased from 15% (February) to 11% (April) to now 9%, while WAGA's boosted to 27%; WGCL remained at 5%.

Primetime, however, was a different story. Though "24" and "The Voice" were big Monday night hits on 'AGA and 'XIA respectively, WSB still cleaned their clocks. Not even heavyweights "The Big Bang Theory" (the most-watched show in all of TV this past season) and "NCIS" could help WGCL pry out of fourth place. And in late night? Jimmy Fallon is still third behind Kimmel and TMZ; WSB's "Hot Topics" narrowly beats SNL; and Seth Meyers? At least he still outranks Craig Ferguson (Nightline and TMZ Sports are #1 and #2).

By the way, WXIA's top program for the season was "Sunday Night Football" (#1 in ratings points, which really mattered), followed by the Winter Olympics and The Voice. So for them, despite WSB's claims, it was a pretty solid year.

But the big question is: What about the 18-49s and total viewers??? I might have to e-mail WAGA, WXIA, and WGCL for those answers, as WSB tends to attract the older audiences.

(Oh, and if anyone cares, the only ABC show I watch on WSB is Dancing With The Stars)

In the Piedmont Triad (Winston-Salem/Greensboro/High Point, NC) WGHP has claimed mornings. I haven't seen anything official, but WXII likely won everything else. They won every time period in November.

In the Piedmont Triad (Winston-Salem/Greensboro/High Point, NC) WGHP has claimed mornings. I haven't seen anything official, but WXII likely won everything else. They won every time period in November.

I thought mornings (and noon) always belonged to WFMY. Guess I proved myself wrong.

Heeeeerrrrreeee's Atlanta's...and it's the same old result.

WXIA's news audience decreased from 15% (February) to 11% (April) to now 9%, while WAGA's boosted to 27%; WGCL remained at 5%.

Primetime, however, was a different story. Though "24" and "The Voice" were big Monday night hits on 'AGA and 'XIA respectively, WSB still cleaned their clocks. Not even heavyweights "The Big Bang Theory" and "NCIS" could help WGCL pry out of fourth place. And in late night? Jimmy Fallon is still third behind Kimmel and TMZ; WSB's "Hot Topics" narrowly beats SNL; and Seth Meyers? At least he still outranks Craig Ferguson (Nightline and TMZ Sports are #1 and #2).

By the way, WXIA's top program for the whole 2013-14 season was "Sunday Night Football", who has reclaimed the title as the #1 show in all of television from NCIS. The Winter Olympics were pretty much #2 followed by The Voice. So for them, despite WSB's claims, it was a pretty solid year.

But the big question is: What about the 18-49s and total viewers??? I might have to e-mail WAGA, WXIA, and WGCL for those answers, as WSB tends to attract the older audiences.

(Oh, and if anyone cares, the only ABC show I watch on WSB is Dancing With The Stars)

Wow. They didn't even bother using WGCL's new logo. But maybe they didn't know they re-branded again?

And my god is their bragging about being #1 annoying. The other stations must HATE them for it. When you've been #1 as long as they have and are so dominant, I don't think that much bragging is necessary.

I feel like KFMB when out of viewers' habits. The don't have a great product.

It's not the best, but Judge Judy has been a boon as a 5pm lead-in, and CBS primetime is still very strong. KGTV (run into the ground by consultants and bad management) and KNSD (weakened by crappy consultants and bad NBC programing) aren't any better, and thus haven't been giving viewers any reason to switch.

Two photo finishes in Orlando: WESH 2 edges WFTV 9 at 6am and 6pm at the 25-54 demo.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/blogs/tv-guy/os-may-ratings-wesh-edges-wftv-twice-20140522,0,3000502.post

And my god is their bragging about being #1 annoying.

Same thing I said about WWBT here in Richmond. BTW, here's their new promo featuring the "NBC is #1. Again." graphic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrUZ85VyNmM

No they don't, but Judge Judy has been a boon as a 5pm lead-in, and CBS primetime is still very strong. KGTV (run into the ground by consultants and bad management) and KNSD (weakened by crappy consultants and bad NBC programing) aren't any better, and thus haven't been giving viewers any reason to switch.

KFMB being #1 in the mornings is the most surprising to me. They've been in the bottom of the ratings in the AM for many years now, don't know how they managed to squeeze out a win. KNSD puts out a good product, but it's clear that they need to step up their game.

Give WGCL a few more rebranding cycles and I'm sure they'll pull out of their slump. :lol: I mean, at 4, WSB could put up pictures of cats for an hour and they'd still beat WGCL.

The more I expect things to change in this market, the more I see they stay the same. WSB will remain #1 for the foreseeable future, WGCL will languish in fourth, and WAGA and WXIA will remain second and third respectively, although they'll occasionally change positions in some timeslots.

I'd actually like to guess that for Spanish-speaking viewers, WUVG beats WKTB in both timeslots (6 and 11 on weeknights). Also, WAGA over WATL at ten.

Also, WAGA over WATL at ten.

Um, I already mentioned that (and who watches WATL at 10:00 anyway?).

But I've discussed one or two times at work (my new job is in Buckhead, by the way) about the younger viewers watching WAGA, WXIA, and/or WGCL for their news while at the same time, giving my own two cents about WSB.

And when it comes to upcoming concerts being held at Atlanta's top venues (Philips Arena, Georgia Dome, Fox Theatre, Cobb Energy Centre, etc.), WXIA is probably the only station I know of that advertises them during late night. I'm sure other stations in various markets do the same; I'll save that for a separate thread.

Two photo finishes in Orlando: WESH 2 edges WFTV 9 at 6am and 6pm at the 25-54 demo.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/blogs/tv-guy/os-may-ratings-wesh-edges-wftv-twice-20140522,0,3000502.post

Same thing I said about WWBT here in Richmond. BTW, here's their new promo featuring the "NBC is #1. Again." graphic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrUZ85VyNmM

12 News always has dominated the Richmond market. Back in the mid 90s I like WTVR when they were NewsChannel 6 and have been hoping for WRIC to get up to #1. They were edging 6 out of #2 and was hoping WRIC would take the gold for #1

Um, I already mentioned that (and who watches WATL at 10:00 anyway?).

But I've discussed one or two times at work (my new job is in Buckhead, by the way) about the younger viewers watching WAGA, WXIA, and/or WGCL for their news while at the same time, giving my own two cents about WSB.

And when it comes to upcoming concerts being held at Atlanta's top venues (Philips Arena, Georgia Dome, Fox Theatre, Cobb Energy Centre, etc.), WXIA is probably the only station I know of that advertises them during late night. I'm sure other stations in various markets do the same; I'll save that for a separate thread.

There several variables about the 10PM news on WATL. I said something on another message board and WXIA employee said that there were times where the 10PM does better than 11PM on WXIA.

The news director at WXIA has boasted about how good those #s are and have expanded to an hour. She said they weren't interested in doing a 5pm on WXIA. So there are many reason about the 10PM on WATL/WXIA.

Back when WXIA went HD and had Wes Sarginson on; WXIA target audience were to people who income more affluent 250K, college educated also a master degree, 35-40 year old. That was 2005/2006 I saw that information, and have to wonder almost 10 years later that doesn't seem to be the case.

I thought mornings (and noon) always belonged to WFMY. Guess I proved myself wrong.

I just moved to the area about a year ago. The locals tell me that WFMY used to be the top station in town. The market is pretty weird as the top three stations are each located in a focus city of the market (WXII - Winston-Salem; WFMY - Greensboro; WGHP - High Point) and viewing habits shift to wherever you're from. I live in Winston-Salem, and a lot of people watch WXII. I prefer WGHP myself, they've got the best product in the market. I actually think the gap between WXII and WFMY ratings-wise isn't too big.

So what if they have a fresher look? That means absolutely nothing.

You can have the freshest on-air presentation ever, but that doesn't mean people are going to break long-standing viewing habits.

WPVI's look has been pretty stale compared to the competition, but they have been a dominant #1 for 30+ years.

And don't even get me started on WJZ.

Well, KTUU may be getting a whole new look themselves after they move to their new studios sometime at the end of this year.

Who knows? They could have enough in their budget to afford the one and only Charlie Van Dyke for their v/o's (it would be his first Alaska client)!

Well, KTUU may be getting a whole new look themselves after they move to their new studios sometime at the end of this year.

Who knows? They could have enough in their budget to afford the one and only Charlie Van Dyke for their v/o's (it would be his first Alaska client)!

I don't know about that one. Bill Ratner would be better for KTUU IMO.

Archived