2014 May Sweeps Results

TexasTVNews

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chicago was pretty predictable, but WLS had the morning ratings they needed. WGN tied them in the demo in the morning, but seeing as WLS was #2 or 3 in that demo before, and they have been leading in total viewers, one could say they were successful. Nothing was mentioned about middays, but I doubt anything changed there. WLS led all evening slots, though the 10pm was down a whole point from a year ago. They still managed a 3.4 point lead (about 113K) over WMAQ. WBBM and WFLD continued their respective free falls, round out the top five. It should be noted that everyone's late news was down.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2014/05/23/abc-7-sweeps-to-the-top-again/

Sadly the source that wrote all about sweeps in kansas city doesn't anymore, but what I can tell you is this:

6am: WDAF

5pm: KCTV

6pm: KSHB

10pm: KMBC

others: 4:30am: KMBC, 4pm: KCTV 12pm: KCTV (in terms of the half hour I believe as WDAF does an hour)

literally each station won a different newscast (although WDAF was .1 away from winning the 6pm). There's no longer a clear leader in Kansas City anymore. Each sweeps period differs. It's like the market is in this huge transition phase trying to find the station that they will watch for all news or something.

Some notes though: KCTV's numbers from 5pm to 6pm are virtually unchanged. They went from first at five to last at six with almost the exact same number of viewers (5.1 compared to a 5.3). They shed a lot of viewers from their 9:45pm lead in as well. On the flip side, KSHB grows the most from their 9:45pm lead in despite having by far the lowest rating lead in. KMBC is a mess and WDAF does respectably well.

In Detroit:

November is in parenthesis, I used those because the Olympics abnormally surge WDIV's numbers and November matches May much closer across the board because of that. WDIV did not release a press release last may, one of the few to go unreported by them so I have no year over year to compare it to.

4pm

WDIV News 6.8 / 17 SHR (6.8 / 17 SHR)

WJBK Judge Judy 4.0 / 10 SHR (4.2 / 11 SHR)

WXYZ Dr. Oz 2.7 / 6 SHR (3.1 / 8 SHR)

Dr. Oz is a huge drag on WXYZ with these low ratings and has been since Oprah ended. WDIV's news went into first place then and is steady as is Judy.

5pm

WDIV 7.1 / 15 SHR (7.5 / 16 SHR)

WXYZ 6.5 / 13 SHR (6.1 / 13 SHR)

WJBK 5.2 / 11 SHR (6.0 / 13 SHR)

All of the increase for WXYZ seems to have come at WDIV's expense, the DIV decline matches the XYZ gain. WJBK fell off the map this month compared to November. Their product is tanking lately anyway.

6pm

WDIV 8.2 / 16 SHR (8.7 / 17 SHR)

WXYZ 7.9 / 15 SHR (7.3 / 14 SHR)

WJBK 5.2 / 10 SHR (5.6 / 11 SHR)

Again the gains by WXYZ seem to be coming at WDIV's expense with DIV's declines matching XYZ's gains. WJBK was down a bit.

7pm

WDIV 8.7 / 15 SHR

10pm

WJBK News 8.0 / 12 SHR (8.0 / 13 SHR)

Despite declining quality, no competition is helping WJBK stay steady.

11pm

WDIV 8.0 15 SHR (8.2 / 16 SHR)

WXYZ 6.8 / 12 SHR (7.6 / 15 SHR)

WJBK News 5.0 / 9 SHR (5.1 / 10 SHR)

WXYZ dropped for some reason but WDIV and WJBK were nearly unaffected, with only minute declines.

Both WDIV (where these numbers came from) and WXYZ put out press releases:

http://www.clickondetroit.com/wdivtv-sweeps-to-victory-in-may/26125852#.U36rRtk7nsI.facebook

http://www.wxyz.com/news/wxyz-tv-has-a-fantastic-may-viewership-surges

Some Notes:

WXYZ is claiming total households sign-on to sign-off by saying: "WXYZ is watched by more viewers than any other station in the Detroit market, and the Nielsen ratings also say 7 Action News is the number one sign-on sign-off in total households". Also claiming ties at 5 and 6 am in the 25-54 with WJBK, up 42% at 5am and 20% at 6am.

And claiming 55% more "adults" at noon and 30% more on the 5, 6 and 7 shows. Finally claiming to be the only ones to maintain or grow in 25-54 in every newscast.

WXYZ almost won households at 6 and is now within half a point at 5 while WDIV is down from November.

WDIV said they grew in A25-54: 18% at 5pm, 27% at 6pm, 15% at 11pm and 24% for Fallon. They also touted their growth in Women 25-54 because that is the target demo for the station: 41% at 6am (tying WJBK at 3.1), 42% at 4pm, 60% at 5pm, 52% at 6pm and 28% at 11pm. These are year over year figures as are WXYZ's press release figures.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/05/23/4927068/wbtv-pulls-plug-on-carolina-camera.html#.U3-PoSm9LCQ

Charlotte results. Interesting to see WCNC make some gains.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/02/07/4671079/wjzy-takes-radical-shift-in-developing.html#.U3_lSp0o6Ul

The preliminary numbers from the above article compared with the May article show a sharp decline in viewership at WJZY from one sweeps period to another. The fact that WCCB is pulling twice the numbers of viewers and WSOC's efforts trouncing both is not a good sign for FOX 46.

Could FOX be finally getting the hint, seeing as it's almost June, and their morning newscast still hasn't launched yet?

In Detroit:

November is in parenthesis, I used those because the Olympics abnormally surge WDIV's numbers and November matches May much closer across the board because of that. WDIV did not release a press release last may, one of the few to go unreported by them so I have no year over year to compare it to.

4pm

WDIV News 6.8 / 17 SHR (6.8 / 17 SHR)

WJBK Judge Judy 4.0 / 10 SHR (4.2 / 11 SHR)

WXYZ Dr. Oz 2.7 / 6 SHR (3.1 / 8 SHR)

Dr. Oz is a huge drag on WXYZ with these low ratings and has been since Oprah ended. WDIV's news went into first place then and is steady as is Judy.

5pm

WDIV 7.1 / 15 SHR (7.5 / 16 SHR)

WXYZ 6.5 / 13 SHR (6.1 / 13 SHR)

WJBK 5.2 / 11 SHR (6.0 / 13 SHR)

All of the increase for WXYZ seems to have come at WDIV's expense, the DIV decline matches the XYZ gain. WJBK fell off the map this month compared to November. Their product is tanking lately anyway.

6pm

WDIV 8.2 / 16 SHR (8.7 / 17 SHR)

WXYZ 7.9 / 15 SHR (7.3 / 14 SHR)

WJBK 5.2 / 10 SHR (5.6 / 11 SHR)

Again the gains by WXYZ seem to be coming at WDIV's expense with DIV's declines matching XYZ's gains. WJBK was down a bit.

7pm

WDIV 8.7 / 15 SHR

10pm

WJBK News 8.0 / 12 SHR (8.0 / 13 SHR)

Despite declining quality, no competition is helping WJBK stay steady.

11pm

WDIV 8.0 15 SHR (8.2 / 16 SHR)

WXYZ 6.8 / 12 SHR (7.6 / 15 SHR)

WJBK News 5.0 / 9 SHR (5.1 / 10 SHR)

WXYZ dropped for some reason but WDIV and WJBK were nearly unaffected, with only minute declines.

Both WDIV (where these numbers came from) and WXYZ put out press releases:

http://www.clickondetroit.com/wdivtv-sweeps-to-victory-in-may/26125852#.U36rRtk7nsI.facebook

http://www.wxyz.com/news/wxyz-tv-has-a-fantastic-may-viewership-surges

Some Notes:

WXYZ is claiming total households sign-on to sign-off by saying: "WXYZ is watched by more viewers than any other station in the Detroit market, and the Nielsen ratings also say 7 Action News is the number one sign-on sign-off in total households". Also claiming ties at 5 and 6 am in the 25-54 with WJBK, up 42% at 5am and 20% at 6am.

And claiming 55% more "adults" at noon and 30% more on the 5, 6 and 7 shows. Finally claiming to be the only ones to maintain or grow in 25-54 in every newscast.

WXYZ almost won households at 6 and is now within half a point at 5 while WDIV is down from November.

WDIV said they grew in A25-54: 18% at 5pm, 27% at 6pm, 15% at 11pm and 24% for Fallon. They also touted their growth in Women 25-54 because that is the target demo for the station: 41% at 6am (tying WJBK at 3.1), 42% at 4pm, 60% at 5pm, 52% at 6pm and 28% at 11pm. These are year over year figures as are WXYZ's press release figures.

November sweeps will be fascinating as WXYZ's entry into the 10pm field (vis a vis WMYD) will go against WJBK for the first time.

There was a reason why WEWS abruptly moved Dr. Oz to 10am. My God, that Scripps local/national newscast at 4pm can't do any worse...

While I'm waiting for Atlanta's numbers:

WAGA are right now running promos saying that they've had the #1 late news all during May...among adults 18-49.

But of course, it'll be nothing to see here as far as WSB is concerned, though I'm certain WXIA and WGCL may have made some gains of their own (especially in primetime). We'll find out soon enough if I'm right or wrong on those claims.

In Washington (via DCRTV.com)...

4 Leads May TV News Ratings - 5/22 - nbc4.jpgThe current May TV news ratings for DC, Monday thru Friday, DMA households. 4:30 AM: 1) Channel 4/WRC, 2) Channel 5/WTTG, 3) Channel 9/WUSA, 4) Channel 7/WJLA... 5 AM: 1) WRC, 2) WTTG, 3) WJLA, 4) WUSA... 6 AM: 1) WTTG, 2) WRC, 3) WJLA, 4) WUSA... 5 PM: 1) WRC, 2) WJLA, 3) WTTG, 4) WUSA... 6 PM: 1) WRC, 2) WJLA, 3) WTTG, 4) WUSA... 11 PM: 1) WRC, 2) WJLA, 3) WTTG, 4) WUSA.....

Meanwhile in Buffalo, WIVB won the 5am (tied with WGRZ), noon, 6pm (for the first time in six sweeps periods), 10pm (on CW23) and 11pm.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/talkintv/2014/05/scripps-gets-an-eyeful-from-channel-7s-may-results-.html?ref=brp

Meanwhile in Buffalo, WIVB won the 5am (tied with WGRZ), noon, 6pm (for the first time in six sweeps periods), 10pm (on CW23) and 11pm.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/talkintv/2014/05/scripps-gets-an-eyeful-from-channel-7s-may-results-.html?ref=brp

WOW Gannett owned WUSA was in 4th place in their newscast. If WJLA (hoping) that they have the same owners or anybody else beside Sinclair. If Sinclair does get WJLA, WUSA better pour some $$$ into their operation that in their backyard. Don't go down without a fight!

Chicago was pretty predictable, but WLS had the morning ratings they needed. WGN tied them in the demo in the morning, but seeing as WLS was #2 or 3 in that demo before, and they have been leading in total viewers, one could say they were successful. Nothing was mentioned about middays, but I doubt anything changed there. WLS led all evening slots, though the 10pm was down a whole point from a year ago. They still managed a 3.4 point lead (about 113K) over WMAQ. WBBM and WFLD continued their respective free falls, round out the top five. It should be noted that everyone's late news was down.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2014/05/23/abc-7-sweeps-to-the-top-again/

Here's some interesting wrinkles to the Chicago ratings:

ABC7 indeed swept to the top, but here's some more info, WGBO (Univision) is creeping up on them in 25-54, now 0.1 behind WLS, and won men 25-54, and persons 18-34 and 18-49 at 10pm. WGBO also won 18-34 at 5pm. At 9pm WFLD won the 18-34, 18-49 and 25-54 demos over WGN.

I just happened to check the Chicagoland Radio And Media board and saw this article with the info I just quoted in it:

http://chicagoradioandmedia.com/news/6565-four-chicago-tv-newscasts-can-claim-victory-from-may-2014-ratings-sweeps

Here's some interesting wrinkles to the Chicago ratings:

ABC7 indeed swept to the top, but here's some more info, WGBO (Univision) is creeping up on them in 25-54, now 0.1 behind WLS, and won men 25-54, and persons 18-34 and 18-49 at 10pm. WGBO also won 18-34 at 5pm. At 9pm WFLD won the 18-34, 18-49 and 25-54 demos over WGN.

I just happened to check the Chicagoland Radio And Media board and saw this article with the info I just quoted in it:

http://chicagoradioandmedia.com/news/6565-four-chicago-tv-newscasts-can-claim-victory-from-may-2014-ratings-sweeps

Yeah, I just caught that, too. All in all, competition is nice, and I'm amused by the WGBO news (congrats to them), but it sucks that WFLD is probably going to promote the hell out of their 9pm "victory". Yes, I'm admittedly rooting against WFLD, but there's still nothing really commendable about the product they produce. Others may disagree, but that's just my opinion.

Yeah, I just caught that, too. All in all, competition is nice, and I'm amused by the WGBO news (congrats to them), but it sucks that WFLD is probably going to promote the hell out of their 9pm "victory". Yes, I'm admittedly rooting against WFLD, but there's still nothing really commendable about the product they produce. Others may disagree, but that's just my opinion.

I didn't even know what WGBO was affiliated with and hadn't heard the calls until that article. Learn something new everyday I guess. How directly comparable are audiences in different languages though? That's something I haven't really thought about before and how much crossover might there be between the two? It's a perplexing situation I think.

As for WFLD, I have no use for them and I also actively root against them. The same goes for WJBK in Detroit in the mornings. Fox is just terrible in so many ways.

I didn't even know what WGBO was affiliated with and hadn't heard the calls until that article. Learn something new everyday I guess. How directly comparable are audiences in different languages though? That's something I haven't really thought about before and how much crossover might there be between the two? It's a perplexing situation I think.

As for WFLD, I have no use for them and I also actively root against them. The same goes for WJBK in Detroit in the mornings. Fox is just terrible in so many ways.

The only market where there isn't a major ratings/audience size divide is Miami. It's enough that I think WLTV might just be the overall market leader (if it's not WPLG).

That's not to say the right Spanish station can't Top 4 in the right market. Fresno is one of those cases; Nexstar used KFTV's ratings prowess (and KSEE's lack of it) to form a legal duopoly there. I think there are also a good number of border markets where the big Univision outlet would qualify, and/or where it is possible to count Mexican stations as media voices (see Sinclair in El Paso/Ciudad Juárez).

And WKBW's last book under Granite was pretty bad especially in the mornings. Scripps is going to have a lot to do to bring 7 back from the dead. Can't wait for them to finally take over, as I'm sure all employees there are.

And WKBW's last book under Granite was pretty bad especially in the mornings. Scripps is going to have a lot to do to bring 7 back from the dead. Can't wait for them to finally take over, as I'm sure all employees there are.

WMYD is cut in with WXYZ on June 16th they hope, so WKBW would be similar to that one would think.

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette did an article on the sweeps ratings in Pittsburgh. I would just post the picture they used, but the large version isn't loading for me for some reason, so here is the data in text form:

TIME HOUSEHOLD* DEM 25-54**

5AM WTAE KDKA

6AM WTAE WPXI + KDKA (TIE)

NOON KDKA KDKA

4PM KDKA*** KDKA***

5PM KDKA KDKA

6PM KDKA**** KDKA****

10PM WPGH (WPXI)**** WPGH (WPXI)****

11PM KDKA WPXI

NOTES:

* - REPRESENTS ~1.1 MILLION PEOPLE

** - REPRESENTS 10,860 PEOPLE

*** - KDKA IS THE ONLY STATION WITH A 4PM NEWSCAST

**** - NUMBERS INCLUDE JUST THE FIRST HALF-HOUR OF A ONE-HOUR NEWSCAST

(KDKA RUNS NETWORK NEWS AT 7, WTAE AND WPXI RUN IT AT 6:30)

SOURCE: http://www.post-gazette.com/ae/tv-radio/2014/05/24/Seasonal-dip-in-local-news-ratings-not-as-low/stories/201405240029

HOUSTON: KPRC Channel 2 won the late night news race in the demo while KTRK-13 and

KHOU-11 were tied for second.

KPRC: 2.1

KTRK/KHOU: 1.9

Channel 13 won mornings, 4PM, 5PM and 6PM. Channel 11 won midday as they always have.

The big story however may be that Univision is the top news station in the city in the 18-49. Channel 13 is still leader amongst viewers and households.

http://mikemcguff.blogspot.com/2014/05/univision-45-kxln-declares-may-sweeps-2014-win.html?m=0

WOW Gannett owned WUSA was in 4th place in their newscast. If WJLA (hoping) that they have the same owners or anybody else beside Sinclair. If Sinclair does get WJLA, WUSA better pour some $$$ into their operation that in their backyard. Don't go down without a fight!

WUSA has always been a laggard in DC though? Gannett never seems to pay much attention to their flagship, pouring more resources there into USA Today. If Sinclair does get WJLA in the end, then I would think WTTG has the most to gain - they could try to go all in and win the market. Are there any Fox O&O's that lead their markets?

WUSA has always been a laggard in DC though? Gannett never seems to pay much attention to their flagship, pouring more resources there into USA Today. If Sinclair does get WJLA in the end, then I would think WTTG has the most to gain - they could try to go all in and win the market. Are there any Fox O&O's that lead their markets?

KDFW and (I think) WTVT do.

Same as usual in Nashville, with WTVF winning every single newscast. No Nielsen numbers in order to see how the other stations did, but they did post a video on Facebook trumpeting another ratings win:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152101704132548&set=vb.91345192547&type=3&theater

In Memphis, the same story. WREG won every time slot except for one on Saturday (WMC's only rating win), and they gloat about on their website, along with some numbers:

http://wreg.com/2014/05/22/wreg-news-channel-3-1-again-thanks-to-you/

WATN's ratings still remain flat since February, even though the other three stations saw some drop offs in terms of sampling size since the last sweeps period.

Archived