2014 May Sweeps Results

TexasTVNews

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do you mean "bad"; since 2002, WJXT IMO has been the #1 independent station in the country (unless KCAL says otherwise). And note in the last paragraph that Arsenio even beat out Fallon, Kimmel, and Letterman in late night!

In Jacksonville, 'JXT swept the ratings.. And it was bad...

http://www.news4jax.com/entertainment/wjxt-sweeps-may-2014-ratings/26139250

Let me guess, the infomercials and the low-budget Entertainment Studios fake-court shows they program in the daytime won their timeslots there too? If that's the case, there's something wrong with Jacksonville viewers.

In Columbus it's the same old story, WBNS dominated almost every hour of the day and won all the newscast slots, This is according to The Columbus Dispatch. To be honest I'm waiting to see the full numbers for newscast times.

I'm curious to see how much WSYX has taken over WCMH for second place numbers-wise. In market rankings, WSYX is now the #2 station and WCMH is now #3.

HOUSTON: KPRC Channel 2 won the late night news race in the demo while KTRK-13 and

KHOU-11 were tied for second.

KPRC: 2.1

KTRK/KHOU: 1.9

Channel 13 won mornings, 4PM, 5PM and 6PM. Channel 11 won midday as they always have.

The big story however may be that Univision is the top news station in the city in the 18-49. Channel 13 is still leader amongst viewers and households.

Whaaaaaaaaaaat? KTRK not winning at 10 pm?

What do you mean "bad"; since 2002, WJXT IMO has been the #1 independent station in the country (unless KCAL says otherwise). And note in the last paragraph that Arsenio even beat out Fallon, Kimmel, and Letterman in late night!

He meant "bad" as in they were so good/dominant and the other stations were no where closet, it was bad.

I'm curious to see how much WSYX has taken over WCMH for second place numbers-wise. In market rankings, WSYX is now the #2 station and WCMH is now #3.

And why I hate the Dispatch a REAL newspaper would tell you that information!

In Indianapolis, WTHR says they won all timeslots:

http://www.wthr.com/story/25597915/2014/05/23/wthrs-ratings-continue-to-climb-during-may-2014-sweeps

In Greenville-Spartanburg-Asheville, WYFF wins evenings and late news:

http://www.wyff4.com/news/wyff-4-is-top-local-news-station-in-may/26140202

In Denver, KUSA won most slots, KMGH won 4:30am and 11am, KCNC was 2nd in most slots:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/ostrow/2014/05/22/tight-local-race-may-sweeps/18799/

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/entertainment/260267971.html

WISN wins overall sweeps, but the 10pm is down 2.5 points(!) from last May. WISN also wins at 6pm amongst stations carrying news (Jeopardy! at WDJT wins overall). WITI wins mornings and is only 0.1 ratings point behind WISN at 10pm; WTMJ wins at 5pm.

And judging from the comments on that story, people really don't like WTMJ. When are management at these stations actually going to start listening? Hopefully Hundley can come in and make some actual changes.

I just saw a promo on KPNX that says they're #1 at 10pm. I don't know anything else, though.

If only the Republic and KPNX weren't co-owned...

I do believe KPNX's claims--they're dominant at 10pm regardless of weak NBC lead-ins. I don't think the Republic has a dedicated media reporter anymore. I expect KPHO to make similar claims of being "#1 at 10pm," but in fine print it will say "Adults 45-64" or something of that nature. KNXV is running promos thanking viewers for making them their "late news choice," but no boasting of being #1.

I do believe KPNX's claims--they're dominant at 10pm regardless of weak NBC lead-ins. I don't think the Republic has a dedicated media reporter anymore. I expect KPHO to make similar claims of being "#1 at 10pm," but in fine print it will say "Adults 45-64" or something of that nature. KNXV is running promos thanking viewers for making them their "late news choice," but no boasting of being #1.

KTVK will probably win with Good Morning Arizona (the question lingers: is this their final sweeps book as an independent operation?) while KSAZ will trounce KTVK at 9pm.

And why I hate the Dispatch a REAL newspaper would tell you that information!

What, the Dispatch would be trying to massage the news in WBNS's favor? :D

I am curious to see the May sweeps in Toledo... especially if WNWO even had ANY viewers to speak of.

I am curious to see the May sweeps in Toledo... especially if WNWO even had ANY viewers to speak of.

Theirs is still probably flat if not non-existant. Either way, Sinclair has its work cut out (even with the ongoing dispute with Buckeye).

Have they even resolved the KASW JSA situation?

Nope. Who knows when they will. I think they're trying to seek an outside bidder. I know we keep pegging Liberman or someone seeking a full-power signal for a Spanish station, but I wouldn't be surprised if a spectrum speculator steps up. None of them have been able to buy into Phoenix yet. If it's someone who wants to change the station's format I would see KAZT taking most of the syndicated inventory or even the CW affiliation.

In the Public Interest Statement that accompanied the deal Meredith said it would spend $4 million upgrading the KTVK studio facilities. If they need to give someone studio facilities I almost anticipate Meredith selling off the older/1971 Black Canyon Highway (KPHO) facility to KASW and moving KPHO to the newer KTVK studio [KTVK was at 16th and Osborn until the mid/late 90s; the current facilities were built in the 70s and 80s]. Heck I think they're going to do that in any event.

WWL lost viewers in the evenings and gained viewers in the morning, yet they swept all slots except 4 pm. WDSU won that battle and finished second in all morning slots. WVUE finished second at noon, 6 and 10 pm. They are the only newscast at 9 pm.

http://www.nola.com/tv/index.ssf/2014/05/may_2014_sweeps_ratings_report.html#incart_river

EDIT: Corrects WVUE's 9 pm showing.

WWL lost viewers in the evenings and gained viewers in the morning, yet they swept all slots except 4 pm. WDSU won that battle and finished second in all morning slots. WVUE finished second at noon, 6, 9 and 10 pm.

http://www.nola.com/tv/index.ssf/2014/05/may_2014_sweeps_ratings_report.html#incart_river

WVUE was first at 9.

Archived