KMOV turns 60

Mrtraveler01

It isn't until July 8th but KMOV is approaching its 60th Birthday and it looks like they're having a promotion where they give out a prize for the next 60 days.

60th+Anniversary+980x75.jpg

http://www.kmov.com/community/contests/KMOVs-60-Days-of-Giveaways---Starts-June-9-261174981.html

I only mention this because sanewsguy pointed out that this is a common thing for Meredith stations to do. I guess Meredith is already influencing KMOV.

It'll be interesting to see if they celebrate it any other way but I do like how they have the old logos mixed in with the present one.

I honestly can't think of any station that is willing to acknowledge their past like this in the present day. WTVJ being an exception when they ran a 30-minute retrospective on their 60th birthday (but station historian Bob Mayer hadn't retired yet).

Kudos to Meredith for doing this. Whether it leads to an image or branding adjustment or not, it signals that they understand the station and its' history to the market.

It isn't until July 8th but KMOV is approaching its 60th Birthday and it looks like they're having a promotion where they give out a prize for the next 60 days.

60th+Anniversary+980x75.jpg

http://www.kmov.com/community/contests/KMOVs-60-Days-of-Giveaways---Starts-June-9-261174981.html

I only mention this because sanewsguy pointed out that this is a common thing for Meredith stations to do. I guess Meredith is already influencing KMOV.

It'll be interesting to see if they celebrate it any other way but I do like how they have the old logos mixed in with the present one.

Haha, they're doing something for the July book even though that's the least important one. I think the history thing is a good coverup for their real intention...

But, I do think it's cool to see the old logos. The fourth, multicolored logo reminds me a bit of WJXT.

Haha, they're doing something for the July book even though that's the least important one. I think the history thing is a good coverup for their real intention...

But, I do think it's cool to see the old logos. The fourth, multicolored logo reminds me a bit of WJXT.

It doesn't specify online but what is going to happen is that they're going to give the secret code word on News 4 This Morning and then you have to log onto KMOV.com to enter that word to enter the drawing for the prize that day.

It just so happens that News 4 This Morning is the only newscast that KMOV struggles with in the ratings regardless of how many times they try to reformulate it. Coincidence? I think not.

But as you said, even if it's a ploy to build up ratings, it's a nice touch to use KMOV's history for it.

It doesn't specify online but what is going to happen is that they're going to give the secret code word on News 4 This Morning and then you have to log onto KMOV.com to enter that word to enter the drawing for the prize that day.

It just so happens that News 4 This Morning is the only newscast that KMOV struggles with in the ratings regardless of how many times they try to reformulate it. Coincidence? I think not.

But as you said, even if it's a ploy to build up ratings, it's a nice touch to use KMOV's history for it.

KFOR rolled out a big splashy page for its 65th. At the same time the entire WKY/KTVY/KFOR news film archive has been donated to the Oklahoma Historical Society which is helping the station digitize it.

(There's a lot of material there and links to many, many videos. If you want to while away hours of your time, that's how you do it.)

KFOR rolled out a big splashy page for its 65th. At the same time the entire WKY/KTVY/KFOR news film archive has been donated to the Oklahoma Historical Society which is helping the station digitize it.

(There's a lot of material there and links to many, many videos. If you want to while away hours of your time, that's how you do it.)

It was great until I saw this:

Some of this information gathered from Wikipedia.com

Are you kidding me?

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

1. It's Wikipedia.org not .com (that's a pet peeve of mine as a longtime user of Wikipedia before it even became popular)
  2. Why do stations use Wikipedia to get information about themselves that they probably have? I understand it's faster but wouldn't the station have more or better information than what's on Wikipedia. There's other stations that cite Wikipedia for their history or about us pages and it's so unprofessional. Usually a station that cites Wikipedia for information about THEMSELVES for crying out loud, has lost all their credibility in my book.

:rant:

I'm not sure. I agree that that's a weak part, but the video and picture material is incredible stuff.

Unfortunately, I'm still looking for stuff from their call change to KFOR in April 1990 and ensuing "4 Strong"/"We're the Strength of Oklahoma" campaign...

Is it weak to use to use any info from Wikipedia? It CAN be, but when certain info is needed that's missing from the archives whether it's for clarification or somehow thrown out to the gutter, Wiki can be beneficial, even if it's not the most trusted source. Their credibility is shot to $#!+ if all info comes from Wiki when archives are readily available for summary.

WFOR's 1995-2000 logo was also clearly modeled off of that fourth logo:

WFOR-4SouthFlorida.jpg

For comparison, a B/W version of the KMOX-TV logo:

KMOX-TV-CBS-Channel-4-logo.jpg

Many stations either junked old footage or lost it to time or the elements. There are instances like Tribune foolishly erasing and throwing out all of the archives of KTXL - which collectors managed to save portions of - or the studio fire at KREX that wiped out their entire history.

I don't think that WTVT or KDFW will recognize their on-air history - Fox O&Os don't tend to do that in the first place. There is a nice tribute site to WTVT created and maintained by a former employee that centers mainly on their "Big 13" and "Pulse News" eras.

WJW had an extensive history section that was not carried over to their MyFox website, but was archived and since reposted in blog format by a good friend of mine, Tim Lones (you really should check out his blog).

The World On View-WXEL-Part 1 Getting Airborne

WJW History Part 2-News Takes Hold

WJW History Part 3-The 1960's

Part 4-WJW becomes FOX 8

Is it weak to use to use any info from Wikipedia? It CAN be, but when certain info is needed that's missing from the archives whether it's for clarification or somehow thrown out to the gutter, Wiki can be beneficial, even if it's not the most trusted source. Their credibility is shot to $#!+ if all info comes from Wiki when archives are readily available for summary.

A more sensible alternative to Wikipedia would be to consult David (Eduardo) Gleason's entire record of broadcasting industry magazines. He's archived them all in PDF format. It's breathtaking.

The problem with the Wikipedia history is it can often be incorrect. For the longest time, WTMJ's page said they got the first commercial television station license in the country. That is far from correct as they didn't even apply for one until two weeks after the first three (WCBS, WNBC, and KYW) were issued. The correct date is even in the Milwaukee TV History book published a few years back. The page has been modified to say "one of the first" since then.

• 1 month later...

Wanted to bump this thread to mention that even though it's actual birthday has passed (July 8th), KMOV will be airing an hour and a half long special celebrating the history of this station. According to them, it will also be streamed on kmov.com.

I have to give KMOV some credit, they've done a real good job at celebrating the rich history that station has, wish more stations would do the same when they hit their milestones.

Here is a clip of what the special is going to include: http://www.kmov.com/video?id=266894031&sec=549502&ref=rcvidmod

I honestly can't think of any station that is willing to acknowledge their past like this in the present day. WTVJ being an exception when they ran a 30-minute retrospective on their 60th birthday (but station historian Bob Mayer hadn't retired yet).

Kudos to Meredith for doing this. Whether it leads to an image or branding adjustment or not, it signals that they understand the station and its' history to the market.

Most stations don't have a lot of stuff in their archives so they are not able to do that. Videotape was very expensive in those days and it just wasn't that important to them. If NBC could record over a bunch of Johnny Carson shows because they were too cheap to let all that tape sit, imagine what local broadcasters thought about the 4 pm movie.

I once talked to someone in the Dayton area who runs their local broadcasters hall of fame and he said there simply isn't that much out there because it was so costly.

Most stations don't have a lot of stuff in their archives so they are not able to do that. Videotape was very expensive in those days and it just wasn't that important to them. If NBC could record over a bunch of Johnny Carson shows because they were too cheap to let all that tape sit, imagine what local broadcasters thought about the 4 pm movie.

I once talked to someone in the Dayton area who runs their local broadcasters hall of fame and he said there simply isn't that much out there because it was so costly.

Did O&Os have deeper archives?

Did O&Os have deeper archives?

The KMOV special pointed out that it was the first operation to go to all-videotape. That probably explains why their archives is so deep.

http://www.kmov.com/community/60th-anniversary/video/KMOX-TV-General-Manager-introduces-viewers-to-new-ENG-technology-264041501.html

Archived