KMGH Rebranding and Getting New Set. Could it be Park Place Render?

ABC 7 Denver

Perhaps one day they will learn content is still very important to viewers and a wonderful new way to present it goes right over peoples heads. The standing thing is just plain uncomfortable looking to me. The ones I hate are where there is a desk but only the two anchors sit. It's like they were too cheap to by a couple more chairs. Nobody is complaining about having a desk and saying "Hey honey, when do you think they'll get rid of this horrible desk? It looks so claustrophobic back there". More stupidity from the news business.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just watched a segment from their 6 PM broadcast and I didn't see any problems with there not being a desk. I think not having the desk forces the them to tell their stories in a more creative way using the video walls than if they still had the desk.

Perhaps one day they will learn content is still very important to viewers and a wonderful new way to present it goes right over peoples heads. The standing thing is just plain uncomfortable looking to me. The ones I hate are where there is a desk but only the two anchors sit. It's like they were too cheap to by a couple more chairs. Nobody is complaining about having a desk and saying "Hey honey, when do you think they'll get rid of this horrible desk? It looks so claustrophobic back there". More stupidity from the news business.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I'm reminded of
that was thrust upon WCCO a few years ago. The only issue is that when the anchors range in height from 5'5"ish - 6'8"ish it's going to look odd. You could tell that they had to go to ridiculous lengths to make 2,3 and 4 shots work. They had to play tricks with depth perception when blocking shots. For example, The main male anchor had to usually stand a couple steps back from the female anchor instead of side-by-side. And, she usually had some insanely high heals on to help compensate as well. You can see some of this in the linked promo video. In other words it can't be force fed. If you don't have the talent or studio to properly execute a standup newscast it ends up hindering the product not improving it.

I think many of the complaints are a matter of familiarity. Not having a desk is just really different so it's odd and "uncomfortable." Still curious to know why they went this route.

Because, when you need to bring your viewers the news "Now" and "Right Now" you don't have time to mess around with a desk.

When I read that they were standing it reminded me of this article where a member of parliament was upset that BBC presenters should not "prance around studios." He later went on to say:

"Can we find time to debate the extent to which the tabloid virus is beginning to infect BBC television news?

"Have you noticed that newscasters increasingly no longer read news to camera, but they walk around the studio like a couple of ham actors emoting?

"I think it is called news with attitude."

Archived