KMGH Rebranding and Getting New Set. Could it be Park Place Render?

ABC 7 Denver

Originally posted on News Junkies Unlimited:

Confirmation that KMGH is getting a new set (from @MattMakens247Wx: http://goo.gl/mjjJhu). Could this render from Park Place be the new set?

https://vimeo.com/90986452

Please note the rebrand to 7NewsDenver (on the duratrans). The URL is active, though currently redirects to The Denver Channel (http://www.7newsdenver.com) Still waiting on confirmation.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a pretty kickass render! How long have they had their current set? It looks wildly dated but like it would've been pretty snazzy when it first debuted. There's also a big Fox News Deck feel to part of it. Did Park Place design that as well?

KSHB is due for a new set soon as well...I hope it's something like this.

Originally posted on News Junkies Unlimited:

Confirmation that KMGH is getting a new set (from @MattMakens247Wx: http://goo.gl/mjjJhu). Could this render from Park Place be the new set?

https://vimeo.com/90986452

Please note the rebrand to 7NewsDenver (on the duratrans). The URL is active, though currently redirects to The Denver Channel (http://www.7newsdenver.com) Still waiting on confirmation.

Could it be a render of the new set? Yes that's exactly what it is, their new set will resemble this in some form, renders are subject to change.

I can only wish they would be called Colorado's 7 News again and bring back a 6:00PM newscasts.

That's not going to happen, but after Katie ends, they are bringing back the 4pm newscast. Also, Eric Kahnert is officially lead anchor.

That's a pretty kickass render! How long have they had their current set? It looks wildly dated but like it would've been pretty snazzy when it first debuted. There's also a big Fox News Deck feel to part of it. Did Park Place design that as well?

KSHB is due for a new set soon as well...I hope it's something like this.

It premiered in 1998 and is the oldest set in the market (KUSA follows by a wide margin: 2004). They replaced the desk and did a refresh in 2006 when McGraw-Hill premiered the HD Hothaus package.

Where's the desk?

I mean, the render looks sick as all hell, but where's the desk?

I don't think they'll have one. From what I've seen and herd KMGH may be moving away from desks. If you've ever watched 7News Now (AM), the structure isn't to present the news from behind a desk consistently. Harris has changed it be more actionable. Basically, cut from an anchor to reporter, to another anchor to reporter back to anchor toss it to weather, everything in a different part of the studio. It keeps the pace up instead of trapping everyone to one set. I really like it. It may not be appropriate in every situation, but it certainly keeps it lively.

Also, though only tangentially related, WRTV is getting a new set too, but I don't have specs there yet. I know an intern though, so I'll ask him.

It premiered in 1998 and is the oldest set in the market (KUSA follows by a wide margin: 2004). They replaced the desk and did a refresh in 2006 when McGraw-Hill premiered the HD Hothaus package.

That timing isn't quite right. They debuted a completely

, and it was the one that had that weird mountain lodge look to it:

14510483890_2739a7d0c9_o.jpg

But then this was mostly replaced by the current set. I can't remember when it debuted, but it was sometime between late 2002 and early 2003. The desk, duratrans, and backdrop are completely different. The only thing that stayed from the 1998 set was the mountain lodge interview set to the right, but that was replaced shortly later with the Devlin weather center.

14510512179_b392d0d13c_b.jpg

14510516278_4c96a9c51b_b.jpg

Devlin also put in an RP wall to the left, though that was reconfigured several times, and the desk was replaced more around 2008/2009. So yeah, the oldest part of KMGH's current set dates back to sometime around 2002/2003. They are definitely in need of a new set. I'm not sure I like the idea of no anchor desk, though I'm not surprised that they would try to go for a Shepard Smith ripoff. Keep in mind that on their morning show, anchors presently read the news from anywhere and everywhere, and tosses back and forth can look very strange. I pulled these from the web stream on Friday:

14510527980_b937aeb304_c.jpg

Tease from weather to traffic. That's right - the studio door and fire extinguisher are behind them.

This is how one anchor tosses to another for another story.

14694829684_0076dd3019_c.jpg

This gives you the option of reading the prompter yourself - I guess they think it's....innovative?

14694820514_35dd34e332_c.jpg

And I still don't understand what this claim even means.

14697216565_2c28c38716_c.jpg

This gives the rest of you a taste of what you're in for with "The Now." I really don't like the direction KMGH has gone with news "stories" that are all VO hits, none of which are more than a minute long, most of them being wire stories that aren't even in Colorado or have any significance otherwise, and with the anchors moving to a different part of the studio in order to present each one. I miss the former, dignified KMGH of the past that was more focused on investigative reporting. But I guess the ratings have spoken...

That's not going to happen, but after Katie ends, they are bringing back the 4pm newscast. Also, Eric Kahnert is officially lead anchor.

I don't think they'll have one. From what I've seen and herd KMGH may be moving away from desks. If you've ever watched 7News Now (AM), the structure isn't to present the news from behind a desk consistently. Harris has changed it be more actionable. Basically, cut from an anchor to reporter, to another anchor to reporter back to anchor toss it to weather, everything in a different part of the studio. It keeps the pace up instead of trapping everyone to one set. I really like it. It may not be appropriate in every situation, but it certainly keeps it lively.

Also, though only tangentially related, WRTV is getting a new set too, but I don't have specs there yet. I know an intern though, so I'll ask him.

Isn't The Now already at 4? That's not going to move for a real 4pm newscast you could get Scripps to call a newscast.

But then this was mostly replaced by the current set. I can't remember when it debuted, but it was sometime between late 2002 and early 2003. The desk, duratrans, and backdrop are completely different. The only thing that stayed from the 1998 set was the mountain lodge interview set to the right, but that was replaced shortly later with the Devlin weather center.

Devlin also put in an RP wall to the left, though that was reconfigured several times, and the desk was replaced more around 2008/2009. So yeah, the oldest part of KMGH's current set dates back to sometime around 2002/2003. They are definitely in need of a new set. I'm not sure I like the idea of no anchor desk, though I'm not surprised that they would try to go for a Shepard Smith ripoff. Keep in mind that on their morning show, anchors presently read the news from anywhere and everywhere, and tosses back and forth can look very strange. I pulled these from the web stream on Friday:

14510527980_b937aeb304_c.jpg

Tease from weather to traffic. That's right - the studio door and fire extinguisher are behind them.

This gives you the option of reading the prompter yourself - I guess they think it's....innovative?

14697216565_2c28c38716_c.jpg

This gives the rest of you a taste of what you're in for with "The Now." I really don't like the direction KMGH has gone with news "stories" that are all VO hits, none of which are more than a minute long, most of them being wire stories that aren't even in Colorado or have any significance otherwise, and with the anchors moving to a different part of the studio in order to present each one. I miss the former, dignified KMGH of the past that was more focused on investigative reporting. But I guess the ratings have spoken...

You realize the now isn't meant to be a local newscast and is meant to do crazy stand-ups and camera shots right? That they have no significance to Denver isn't the point. A lot of those shots you posted merely need slight tweeks and they will be fine. That anchor toss isn't anything remarkable, that's a fairly common wide angle toss.

I don't mean to be that guy, but shouldn't this be in "Sets and Studios"? seems like alot of stuff would be of a different sub-forum or whatever has been put in "General TV."

If you go to the menu of videos of Park Place on Vimeo KSHB has a new set rendering and it looks pretty nice with elements from WCPO and KGTV

Thanks for that. I'll try and reserve my opinions on it until after it's announced they're starting construction.

If it wasn't for the picture prior, I would have thought that stand up shot was in front of a green screen. Something about those printed graphics and the lighting (maybe) doesn't make it seem "real" to me.

As far as KMGH branding is concerned: how about going the route the sister station KGTV San Diego did, which was before and after McGraw/Hill sold their stations to Scripps?

KGTV currently brands itself as ABC10, while they still call their newscasts 10NEWS.

Why not be KMGH brand their station ABC7?

It's a nice design. I'll give them a pass with the wall o' TVs at the top, simply because of the way the print was rendered.

The only sore spot are those gigantic flat-screen tablets behind the anchors. The first thing that automatically comes to mind is the beyond-gaudy Fox News Deck:

ShepDeck.jpg

Hey, thanks for then info Charles! I knew that I wasn't entirely accurate, and I appreciate the corrections.

What's wrong with the bank of TV's across the top? I rather like it.

They don't really add any benefit, MidwestTV. Even if they are going to use a lot of jib shot, it's an expense that doesn't add additional information to the newscast.

WJZ has the same exact set up minus the rock wall and they have changed news desks over the years. When they got theirs in 1998 they touted that they could even make the entire back skyline to be a fireplace (I guess it could be keyed in).

But the set render looks cool but I don't dig the big ass tablets (Fox calls them big area tablet or BAT to be clean.) WMAR also seems to wander around their set ass well during the AM newscasts - five different stand up shots in the studio and two positions in the newsroom are covered by their sole news anchor to roam around (I am surprised they don't get breathless from running round the building.)

You realize the now isn't meant to be a local newscast and is meant to do crazy stand-ups and camera shots right? That they have no significance to Denver isn't the point. A lot of those shots you posted merely need slight tweeks and they will be fine. That anchor toss isn't anything remarkable, that's a fairly common wide angle toss.

I should have clarified my comments regarding KMGH's morning program, and its similarities with The Now. I understand that The Now isn't meant to be local, but it's merely an extension of the 7News Now format.

My criticism is with regards to KMGH's shortening of airtime for local stories in their local newscasts and more time dedicated to really pointless national stories. It's the "This Clueless Old Woman Ran Her Cadillac Into a Seven-11 In Florida And It Was Caught On Tape" kind of pointless. In other words, complete fluff. The whole 7News Now format is to reduce any story to about 45 seconds or less, and have an anchor read it from somewhere completely different each time regardless of standing, sitting, whether there's a visual to go with it, whether it's with a camera on a ped with a prompter or a handheld camera with the anchor looking down to read a paper script, or if it's in a part of the studio that's even meant to be used for television. The toss that you pointed out was done with a handheld camera, as are many of them. It's flash for the sake of flash, and stories that aren't so much news as they are things that attract eyeballs. Seeing how 7News Now and The Now share the same location, same staff, and almost the same name, I think it's fair to say that 7News Now inspired The Now as a national version of itself. It's not news, it's just mindless infotainment of things that get people to watch and be stunned (plus weather and traffic, of course), and the flashy presentation style is distracting (and unprofessional looking, in my opinion). But again, if it's working in the ratings after being the perennial third place, then I guess they're getting what they want.

Archived