KMGH Rebranding and Getting New Set. Could it be Park Place Render?

ABC 7 Denver

I should have clarified my comments regarding KMGH's morning program, and its similarities with The Now. I understand that The Now isn't meant to be local, but it's merely an extension of the 7News Now format.

My criticism is with regards to KMGH's shortening of airtime for local stories in their local newscasts and more time dedicated to really pointless national stories. It's the "This Clueless Old Woman Ran Her Cadillac Into a Seven-11 In Florida And It Was Caught On Tape" kind of pointless. In other words, complete fluff. The whole 7News Now format is to reduce any story to about 45 seconds or less, and have an anchor read it from somewhere completely different each time regardless of standing, sitting, whether there's a visual to go with it, whether it's with a camera on a ped with a prompter or a handheld camera with the anchor looking down to read a paper script, or if it's in a part of the studio that's even meant to be used for television. The toss that you pointed out was done with a handheld camera, as are many of them. It's flash for the sake of flash, and stories that aren't so much news as they are things that attract eyeballs. Seeing how 7News Now and The Now share the same location, same staff, and almost the same name, I think it's fair to say that 7News Now inspired The Now as a national version of itself. It's not news, it's just mindless infotainment of things that get people to watch and be stunned (plus weather and traffic, of course), and the flashy presentation style is distracting (and unprofessional looking, in my opinion). But again, if it's working in the ratings after being the perennial third place, then I guess they're getting what they want.

Exactly, if it makes them money then that's what they go with. It's a business at the end of the day. The pomp and circumstance and all that other stuff you described other than that is irrelevent to be honest.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm fine with 7News Denver. It nicely parodies Fox31 Denver.

As for newscast branding in Denver here the following;

KWGN- Channel 2 News

KCNC- CBS 4 News

KMGH- 7 News

KUSA- 9 News

KDVR- FOX 31 Denver News [btw I like this one too]

If your going to doing branding why have the samiliar name as your competitor i.e.[ if your in one of those markets that have CBS2, NBC5, ABC7]

Currently you have (2) station with their channel # with the word NEWS. You have (2) other station with their affiliation in front of the channel # with NEWS. Each station brand and branding should stand out.

KMGH has had many branding/moniker names over the years. KMGH 7 News, Colorado's 7 News, (currently 7 News). 7 News is good, but with the urgency many station are pushing for. I like 7 News NOW as the newscast branding, in general branding with station id tag, commericals Denver's 7 or KMGH 7. Every station not going to push Eyewitness News, Action News, or NewsChannel (which I like all three btw) and I do like the Local branding as well too.

Also WRTV 6 in Indy I hope they change their branding from the current RTV 6 News to either 6 News NOW, or just 6 News. Every market is different, but your branding/moniker name stands out. KUSA 9 been 9 News for 30 years, WSB, WXYZ and WPVI have been using the Action News branding for over 40 years and have stuck with it, because they didn't change their branding name every 7-10years. They stuck with it and it synonymous to who they're and the station.

As for newscast branding in Denver here the following;

KWGN- Channel 2 News

KCNC- CBS 4 News

KMGH- 7 News

KUSA- 9 News

KDVR- FOX 31 Denver News [btw I like this one too]

If your going to doing branding why have the samiliar name as your competitor i.e.[ if your in one of those markets that have CBS2, NBC5, ABC7]

Currently you have (2) station with their channel # with the word NEWS. You have (2) other station with their affiliation in front of the channel # with NEWS. Each station brand and branding should stand out.

KMGH has had many branding/moniker names over the years. KMGH 7 News, Colorado's 7 News, (currently 7 News). 7 News is good, but with the urgency many station are pushing for. I like 7 News NOW as the newscast branding, in general branding with station id tag, commericals Denver's 7 or KMGH 7. Every station not going to push Eyewitness News, Action News, or NewsChannel (which I like all three btw) and I do like the Local branding as well too.

Also WRTV 6 in Indy I hope they change their branding from the current RTV 6 News to either 6 News NOW, or just 6 News. Every market is different, but your branding/moniker name stands out. KUSA 9 been 9 News for 30 years, WSB, WXYZ and WPVI have been using the Action News branding for over 40 years and have stuck with it, because they didn't change their branding name every 7-10years. They stuck with it and it synonymous to who they're and the station.

It's no coincidence that the two stations that have their affiliation with the branding - KCNC and KDVR - are and were O&Os, respectively.

KSHB, KNXV, WFTS and WMAR are the only Scripps stations that employ their affiliations with the branding... and it's no coincidence that all four stations flipped affiliations back in 1995. (Why McGraw Hill never did such a thing with KMGH is a bit puzzling.)

I don't have a problem with RTV6 News. It at least is distinctive as opposed to, say, "News Channel 5."

It's no coincidence that the two stations that have their affiliation with the branding - KCNC and KDVR - are and were O&Os, respectively.

KSHB, KNXV, WFTS and WMAR are the only Scripps stations that employ their affiliations with the branding... and it's no coincidence that all four stations flipped affiliations back in 1995. (Why McGraw Hill never did such a thing with KMGH is a bit puzzling.)

I don't have a problem with RTV6 News. It at least is distinctive as opposed to, say, "News Channel 5."

KSHB doesn't use their affiliation anymore. They rebranded to "41 Action News" from "NBC Action News" in 2012. They still have the peacock in their logo, but that's it. Although people are STILL confused about the affiliate switch or aren't even aware of it some 20 years after the fact.

KUSA is the #1 station in the market, so there is no reason for them to change...

Which is sad. Their news department isn't the best, their marketing department is. They are number 1 because of 9Cares and 9Health Fair. They don't NEED a excellent news department.

Guest NewsHound
This is the KMGH temporary set (Eric Kahnert on the right, Mike Landess on the left)

3Io0LfF.jpg

Wow. That looks like a small market set, or anything designed by FX Group as of late. lol. Nevertheless, that's a very elaborate temporary set, most people would just set up in the newsroom or put a flat screen in front of a blank wall and a small desk.

Hmmmm funny. ParkPlace has taken down the renderings of both KMGH and KSHB. I wonder if they got word that people (specifically us) found them? Kind of convenient timing too given how KMGH is now in a temporary studio and KSHB just moved KC Live into a separate studio.

• 1 month later...

As was mentioned in the KSHB thread, Devlin is doing KMGH's set again, not Park Place. They've put up some "sneak peak" images of it on their blog, but you can't see much except for some of those color-changing LED walls that have been in every Devlin set in the last few years and a bunch of frosted acrylic panels.

I'm glad they went with Devlin. Park Place's sets look pretty junky, and the KMGH design that was in that video didn't look all that great to me. Devlin has also been designing some really great sets recently.

I also don't see any evidence of a "rebrand" on KMGH happening anytime soon, though Mike Landess' final newscast is Thursday, and Eric Kahnert will take his chair.

I can only wish they would be called Colorado's 7 News again and bring back a 6:00PM newscasts.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/ostrow/2014/08/26/channel-7-drops-jeopardy-wheel-adds-new-newscast-newsmag/19757/

Ask and ye shall receive on the 6:00 newscast. Saw this on another board. Jeopardy and Wheel move to KDVR. It's a Scripps thing.

• 3 weeks later...

So apparently KMGH's new set debuted last night during the ten o'clock news.

BxoDmxtCEAAU_IH.jpg

https://twitter.com/7Marshall/status/511725488210182144/photo/1

Here's their story and photo gallery of the set construction:

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/check-this-out/peek-behind-the-curtain-at-7news-new-home

It doesn't have any of those silly pods ripped off from the Shepard Smith set that the Park Place design originally had, but there's no desk or furniture to be found other than a stand-up pod for weather. It looks like there's also a circular table that they can wheel in if they want, but so far, I haven't seen it. I think the set overall looks okay. I still prefer most of Devlin's other sets in the last year or so. It's better than most of the stuff in Denver, but the video wall looks strange the way it curves around the corner, and I'm still not a fan of this new presentation style. The whole standing anchor for the entire program thing feels very cutting edge in the CNN-circa-2005 kind of way.

Also, no branding changed other than the 24/7 Weather branding from 2004 has been replaced with "Storm Station 7." Dumb name.

Archived