FCC Approves Sales of Allbritton to Sinclair

Breaking News

If they want the transmitter, I guess. But that license is being handed into the FCC and will not be reactivated.

Considering it's nearly impossible to get the analog signal in Tuscaloosa because it's so weak, and the strongest signal the station has is out of Birmingham, I'm sure they're looking at it now that the deal is done.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bias is inevitable. Every news organization has it whether you want to believe it or not. Some are more noticeable than others. Conservative bias always gets called out more. Why? I don't know, but it does.

I think conservative bias is a bit... louder... than liberal bias, which makes it a bit more noticeable, if that makes any sense. Doesn't make it any worse or any better than liberal bias, just when something is blatantly skewed for conservatives, they seem to be more forthright with it, whereas something skewed the other way may be more subtle. Again, I am not throwing out a judgement as to either one being right, just a theory on why conservative leaning media may get more flack than liberal leaning media.

Personally, I am pretty middle of the road and I have never seen much (deliberate) bias in mainstream news. Unless you count a bias for sensationalism, to which all news is just in your face with.

I think conservative bias is a bit... louder... than liberal bias, which makes it a bit more noticeable, if that makes any sense.

I remember the old "All in the Family" episodes where they used to make a big joke out of Archie Bunker yelling back at Walter Cronkite on the TV set. Norman Lear was trying to make the Protestant Christian traditionalist look like a big, bigoted, backward fool. Thirty years later, we found out that Uncle Wally, the newsman who supposedly gave it to you straight, regularly put his thumb on the scale in favor of the leftist viewpoint. Turns out that Archie Bunker wasn't so stupid after all.

I think this is a metaphor for what's going on with the news media. Read an article about "global warming" in most national publications. They write about it as if "the science is settled". They don't even bother to look around and question the motives of all the people trying to push global warming down our throats!!! Reporters forgot that their job is to QUESTION EVERYTHING. Back in the old days lefties like Bob Woodward would have at least been suspicious enough to put the pieces together to look at Al Gore's fortune, and all the banker types from Robert Rubin to Henry Paulsen and to follow the money trail. Not only don't they bother to question motives, they also help throw mud at the people who do.

So, my friends, the real problem isn't bias. The real problem is that a lot of the news seems like reporters took a press release from a viewpoint they are sympathetic to and regurgitated it without question.

Going back to the "All in the Family" illustration, I'm sure things were always like this. But now we have the conservative and alternative media to poke holes into some of these scams!!! Right wing media stands out because the center-left viewpoint is the norm, especially when it comes to national news.

You don't see this in local news so much because there really isn't a "left wing" way to cover traffic accidents and shootings. You see it in the national media because they often cover things from a policy level.

(Gosh this ended up being way too long. Sorry.)

Bill Lord was just sacked at WJLA. It sent shockwaves through the newsroom. Nobody is better at local TV than Bill Lord. Great guy and always positive. He managed well both up and down the org chart. For those of us in his newsroom, he was unfailing in his support and always had our back. He was a miracle worker in managing up with the ego maniac spoiled child Robert Allbritton as his boss. We all accepted Robert as our boss since he inherited the TV station from his dad. Nobody liked him and we always tried to avoid getting pulled in to his idiotic projects. He's basically Zero for Life, but Bill gave him respect and buffered the rest of us from his path of destruction. We will miss Bill. We wont miss Robert. We are sorry to see this as Sinclair's first move at the station.

Bill Lord was just sacked at WJLA. It sent shockwaves through the newsroom. Nobody is better at local TV than Bill Lord. Great guy and always positive. He managed well both up and down the org chart. For those of us in his newsroom, he was unfailing in his support and always had our back. He was a miracle worker in managing up with the ego maniac spoiled child Robert Allbritton as his boss. We all accepted Robert as our boss since he inherited the TV station from his dad. Nobody liked him and we always tried to avoid getting pulled in to his idiotic projects. He's basically Zero for Life, but Bill gave him respect and buffered the rest of us from his path of destruction. We will miss Bill. We wont miss Robert. We are sorry to see this as Sinclair's first move at the station.

That is normal and to be expected. They want their own guy in there who knows what the Sinclair way of doing things is and how to implement it. And if the rumors are true that Doug Gealy is going to be your GM, you won't be sorry with that pick. From what I've heard and from the product I've seen with my own eyes, he is going to be a great GM.

That is normal and to be expected. They want their own guy in there who knows what the Sinclair way of doing things is and how to implement it. And if the rumors are true that Doug Gealy is going to be your GM, you won't be sorry with that pick. From what I've heard and from the product I've seen with my own eyes, he is going to be a great GM.

Not true, yes they do want their own guys, but when they bought KOMO, KATU and KUTV they kept the same mgmt in place. Bill Lord should of been kept on at least through the transition, but again I can't say this surprises me.

Will this Friday be Allbritton employees last paycheck?

I think we got our last Allbritton paycheck last week.

They've assured us there will be no disruption, so I'm expecting that there might be two deposit notations in my checking account on the 9th (Allbritton & Sinclair are on the same pay schedule), or Sinclair will simply assume the payment responsibilities from Allbritton for the 21st - 31st from Allbritton. I don't think there will be an extra check cut. (There wasn't in the last sale I went through.)

Not true, yes they do want their own guys, but when they bought KOMO, KATU and KUTV they kept the same mgmt in place. Bill Lord should of been kept on at least through the transition, but again I can't say this surprises me.

He is staying on. His last day is September 30.

You think he'll get to keep his key? I doubt it.

It was kinda sarcastic. Of course I don't think he'll keep his key... Politico and WJLA are on different floors of the building anyways.

He means until Politico or WJLA/NC8 move out of the building in Arlington into another building. They're sharing space in the meantime.

Talk about awkward... Then again, it's already awkward they're in the same building that was once the headquarters of WUSA's parent...

As mentioned in Bill Lord's email, Sinclair did post the GM position here. Sinclair makes it clear they are looking for somebody with a sales background, and not news. (such as 10 years of sales management experience)

I find it somewhat interesting they are posting the position. I was thinking Gealy had the job for sure. But I'm still led to believe that they will install him as GM. Unlike most of the Sinclair group managers that oversee either a huge number of markets or a handful and a GM job, Gealy oversees three markets with no GM job. I'm almost certain that they will make him GM. They are probably posting the job as a way to fill other openings, or to make it look like they interviewed some people for the job to fulfill EEO requirements. But I'm certain Gealy is still getting the job.

I'm also shocked he's staying on until September 30. But it's probably for the transition.

As mentioned in Bill Lord's email, Sinclair did post the GM position here. Sinclair makes it clear they are looking for somebody with a sales background, and not news. (such as 10 years of sales management experience)

I find it somewhat interesting they are posting the position. I was thinking Gealy had the job for sure. But I'm still led to believe that they will install him as GM. Unlike most of the Sinclair group managers that oversee either a huge number of markets or a handful and a GM job, Gealy oversees three markets with no GM job. I'm almost certain that they will make him GM. They are probably posting the job as a way to fill other openings, or to make it look like they interviewed some people for the job to fulfill EEO requirements. But I'm certain Gealy is still getting the job.

I'm also shocked he's staying on until September 30. But it's probably for the transition.

Kind of makes me wonder what else Sinclair is planning for WJLA/NC8. Obviously not the status quo because as someone else pointed out, Sinclair didn't make moves like this after buying the Fishers or Four Points clusters.

I doubt it because Sinclair currently does not use any iPad apps (at least here in Baltimore).

They apparently do, but you wouldn't have guessed it seeing as they are not promoted. One appears to be a generic Fox 45 app and the other is the WSI's white label forecast/radar app.

Archived