FCC Approves Sales of Allbritton to Sinclair

Breaking News

I doubt it because Sinclair currently does not use any iPad apps (at least here in Baltimore).

They apparently do, but you wouldn't have guessed it seeing as they are not promoted. One appears to be a generic Fox 45 app and the other is the WSI's white label forecast/radar app.

Well I mentioned in another post how one station is too digital/webby like. This post shows how Sinclair has no idea how to reach a non TV audience. This kinda approach was understandable 10 years ago since the technology is so vastly different, today not so much. I'd give them a single strike out!

But if they are changing the app to run just web only like how I am taking it - this confirms how often they (or non web skilled people) have no clue what they are doing.

What sinclair needs is to get IT/tech savvy people to handle the digital/non traditional platforms and let their existing techs do everything else.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I mentioned in another post how one station is too digital/webby like. This post shows how Sinclair has no idea how to reach a non TV audience. This kinda approach was understandable 10 years ago since the technology is so vastly different, today not so much. I'd give them a single strike out!

But if they are changing the app to run just web only like how I am taking it - this confirms how often they (or non web skilled people) have no clue what they are doing.

What sinclair needs is to get IT/tech savvy people to handle the digital/non traditional platforms and let their existing techs do everything else.

I hope this doesn't mean WJLA.com is going to get the Sinclair look soon, the current website is so much easier to use than the mess that is the standard Sinclair websites.

I hope this doesn't mean WJLA.com is going to get the Sinclair look soon, the current website is so much easier to use than the mess that is the standard Sinclair websites.

If Sinclair knew better, they could simply take the existing site and port it over into the Sinclair CMS. That likely won't happen. Also, they'll probably stop giving away NewsChannel 8 for free online and make it pay TV exclusive.

Did anybody see the pitifull letter "Robert L. Allbritton" sent out to the employees of his company? A final desperate chance for him to claim he actually built the company. We all know that his daddy built the company. When Robert struck out at the family bank and caused it to be shutdown, he moved on to the communications company. There, he nearly wrecked the company with his stupid tbd.com project. There were enough of us at the station to keep it going despite Robert's best efforts to ruin it. Lot's of fear at WJLA about SInclair, but lots of relief that we have seen the last of Robert Allbritton.

I doubt it because Sinclair currently does not use any iPad apps (at least here in Baltimore).

They apparently do, but you wouldn't have guessed it seeing as they are not promoted. One appears to be a generic Fox 45 app and the other is the WSI's white label forecast/radar app.

They advertise it all the time in Columbus. They show a commercial with two guys carrying an HDTV set through a Speedway convenience store with the Fox 28 or ABC 6 Morning shows on. That ad runs a lot.

Maybe Columbus has people more likely to use the ap than Baltimore? Could that be why they advertise it here and not there?

http://www.abc6onyourside.com/station/features/go-mobile/#.U9mj8PldVd8

http://sbgweb.immktg.com/WSYX/alerts

http://m.abc6onyourside.com/alerts

James Spann just posted this to his Facebook page:

I finished my last newscast for Allbritton Communications tonight. They created ABC 33/40 in 1996, pulling in local UHF stations from Tuscaloosa and Anniston to make a station that would not only serve those cities, but Birmingham as well. I arrived at ABC 33/40 one month after the station signed on the air in October 1996 after a long stretch at WBRC, which was at the time the ABC affiliate here....

The Allbritton family is getting out of the TV business; they sold us, and the other stations they own, to Sinclair Broadcast Group, and they take possession of the station Friday. I will be on vacation tomorrow through Wednesday of next week.

I will be forever thankful for the freedom given me by Robert Allbritton and his local management team. The policy of aggressive, long form tornado coverage was new, and something not seen before in our market in 1996. After the success we had covering the April 8, 1998 EF-5 tornado that killed 32 people in the western suburbs of Birmingham, other local stations copied the policy, and now we are one of the most aggressive severe weather markets in the U.S.

It has been a pure joy working for the Allbritton broadcast group these last 18 years, and a very sad time for me tonight. But, Allbritton owns the Politico, and I fully expect some exciting new digital ventures from them in coming years. Selling the TV station group, in my opinion, is a very wise thing to do at this time.

I am optimistic Sinclair will not only allow us to continue our mission, but give us new resources to make severe weather coverage even better than before. I look forward to meeting with them after I get back from a vacation week. I would like to work at least 10 more years, and I am energized, and excited about communicating weather on a daily basis to the people of Alabama. And, providing world class coverage during severe thunderstorms and tornadoes across multiple platforms, including ABC 33/40...

At first, I was worried that he was going to bolt, but as I kept reading, it's just stating that he was doing his "last" newscast as an Allbritton employee, and that when he gets back from vacation, Sinclair will have taken control. Allbritton has been instrumental in him promoting the coverage that he has provided over ABC 33/40's entire existence, and hopefully Sinclair continues it for the common good of his followers and loyal viewers who have come to depend on him.

....and while they're still a Livestream station and under the control of Allbritton, scroll back to the 10pm show. The "show within a show" during their breaks is back! Basically an no-holds-barred discussion about everything from Sharknado to toupees, and the Allbritton Sale and working for them for 18 years!

Did anybody see the pitifull letter "Robert L. Allbritton" sent out to the employees of his company? A final desperate chance for him to claim he actually built the company. We all know that his daddy built the company. When Robert struck out at the family bank and caused it to be shutdown, he moved on to the communications company. There, he nearly wrecked the company with his stupid tbd.com project. There were enough of us at the station to keep it going despite Robert's best efforts to ruin it. Lot's of fear at WJLA about SInclair, but lots of relief that we have seen the last of Robert Allbritton.

Hey I do like the information that you've been giving us from within inside the organzation. As much as I'm not a fan of Sinclair; I wish everyone in the building much success and do hope that Sinclair can do a great job for all the employees and the product. What today plans for the last day being Allbritton station?

Hey I do like the information that you've been giving us from within inside the organzation. As much as I'm not a fan of Sinclair; I wish everyone in the building much success and do hope that Sinclair can do a great job for all the employees and the product. What today plans for the last day being Allbritton station?

Judging by the Facebook post from James Spann that tyrannical bastard posted earlier, S!nclair takes possession of WJLA, et al, tomorrow morning.

According to dcrtv.com, it looks like they're going to close it out at midnight TONIGHT!!

Sinclair Deal For 7 & 8 To Close Friday - 7/30 - DCRTV hears from a reliable source that Sinclair's purchase of Allbritton's TV stations, including DC's Channel 7/WJLA and NewsChannel 8, will close at 12 AM Friday, August 1st. The deal, which was announced in July 2013, received final approval from the Federal Communications Commission last week. Bill Lord, the stations' vice president and general manager, will stay through September while Sinclair searches for his replacement.....

And for anyone who wants to see it, the site also posted Robert's final memo to the employees yesterday.

An Open Letter to everyone at Allbritton Communications -

Dear friends and colleagues,

Almost 40 years ago, my family moved to Washington, D.C., because my father had exited a career in Texas banking and purchased the Washington Star and its broadcast properties (WMAL AM/FM/TV, WLVA FM/TV and WCIV-TV). Dad was a national collegiate champion debater because as a teenager, he was too short for sports, and competitive by nature. He had always been fascinated by politics and was a successful speechwriter for local Houston politicians as far back as high school.

When the Star came up for sale, he believed that the nation's capital needed more than one newspaper, and he was determined to save the Star. But even in 1974, he could see the rise of broadcast television, as the industry was beginning to come out from behind the shadows of its newspaper owners. He could see that television was the future. Twenty years later, Dad had returned to his original passion for banking, and professional managers were running the TV stations (by this time he had expanded the group to include two wonderful stations - KTUL and KATV).

As a recent graduate of Wesleyan University, I was like my peers: trying to figure out what comes next in life. I was fortunate that Dad was completely hands off running the TV stations, and I had a golden opportunity. I could work in a family business without a family member as a day-to-day boss. With great freedom comes great responsibility. I did my best to take that responsibility with the greatest seriousness. I was lucky to be guided and trained by the best broadcasters in the business. They sent me out on the road to work at each of our stations and to experience as many positions as I could: making sales calls and closing deals; working overnight shifts in master control; hauling cables at Arkansas basketball games; shooting, writing, and editing stories on deadline; working in accounting and HR; preparing ratings research presentations; and answering phones in reception. I learned that every single job is important, tough, and has its own unique challenges. I learned how important everyone is to the whole organization. I learned that we have the best and the brightest working with us, and I remain humbled by the skill and dedication you bring every day.

With so much potential, it was obvious that we had to grow the company, and so that's what we did: We bought WHTM, and when the opportunity came up, we started ABC 33/40 in Birmingham. I was proud to live and work in Birmingham for almost half a year. Thanks to the hard work of hundreds of professionals, we premiered as the No. 2 station in the market and had the most successful new station launch in the past 50 years. We invested in news across the company, and recruited WJLA's dream team of Maureen Bunyan, Gordon Peterson, Leon Harris, Alison Starling, Doug Hill and Tim Brant, just to name a few. WJLA went from last to first, and battles on today in the incredibly competitive Washington market. NewsChannel 8, KTUL, KATV, WCIV, and WSET all continue to be driving forces in the cities that they serve, while being incredibly successful businesses, providers of good jobs, and contributors to the communities. None of this would have been even remotely possible if it had not been for the outstanding efforts, skills, and dedication of everyone at ACC.

It has been an honor and a privilege to work with you for the last 20 years. For everything that you have done for me, my parents, and my children, I thank you with all my heart. Dad passed away two years ago, but I know he shares my pride in the first-class reputation you have earned and preserved over the years. Now the day has come when structural changes in the business required us to make a decision: Get Big, or Get Going. I feel the same way that my father did 40 years ago: Television has a bright future. I would have liked to have stayed on for many years to come, but given the reality that only the very largest television groups will thrive, that was not possible. I will have to watch your growth from the sidelines, but I will do it with pride and support. On behalf of my family, I wish for continued success, and all the very best for everyone. Thank you for the best 20 years any man could ever ask for.

Respectfully,

Robert Allbritton

Judging by the Facebook post from James Spann that tyrannical bastard posted earlier, S!nclair takes possession of WJLA, et al, tomorrow morning.

I dont get why/ how a man forecasting in DMA # 44 is the most popular weathercaster in the US. I was reading Wikipedia (I know it cant be trusted) but they stated that he knows the smallest geographical landmarks during severe weather the gave the example as knowing the local BBQ joint. I find it hard to believe that anyone knows that much about such a vast area all by himself - it makes me think he has someone looking on line or in the phone book to find local landmarks and telling it to him over IFB. From some of the posts I've read about him it seems like he has a big ego.

But why exactly do you call him a tyranical bastard?

Read it again, that's not what he said.

As for Spann, I wouldn't call him the most popular in the country. He's more of a legend in news and meteorolgy circles for what he's done for the weather industry...much like Tom Skilling in Chicago.

I dont get why/ how a man forecasting in DMA # 44 is the most popular weathercaster in the US. I was reading Wikipedia (I know it cant be trusted) but they stated that he knows the smallest geographical landmarks during severe weather the gave the example as knowing the local BBQ joint. I find it hard to believe that anyone knows that much about such a vast area all by himself - it makes me think he has someone looking on line or in the phone book to find local landmarks and telling it to him over IFB. From some of the posts I've read about him it seems like he has a big ego.

You must not know James Spann very well - he honestly knows every inch of his DMA like the back of his hand. He's one of the most down-to-earth people you can meet, and he certainly does not have a big ego.

Sorry, just had to clear that up.

But why exactly do you call (James Spann) a tyranical bastard?

The poster above me is called "tyrannical bastard" ... I wasn't referring to Spann.

You must not know James Spann very well - he honestly knows every inch of his DMA like the back of his hand. He's one of the most down-to-earth people you can meet, and he certainly does not have a big ego.

Seeing the past few posts actually reminded me of this gem from Tom Freakin' Skilling.

[yt]VgiZvE7iWhI[/yt]

Seeing the past few posts actually reminded me of this gem from Tom Freakin' Skilling.

[yt]VgiZvE7iWhI[/yt]

The single greatest 3 minutes ever put to air in American television history.

He really does seem like Alabama's answer to Gary England (KWTV OKC).

He really does seem like Alabama's answer to Gary England.

I think that's an accurate statement. He's probably one of the most recognized local TV mets in the country bundled with others like Skilling and KFOR's Mike Morgan.

I've never met James Spann, but a "tyrannical bastard" he is not. His dedication to his profession and ability to harness multiple forms of technology at the same time while doing a forecast is a herculean task that he has perfected over the years.

I'm just hoping that Sinclair lets him do his thing, because he was well aware of the problems that doing weather updates on facebook poses, by only pushing limited updates to a limited number of his fans. To solve this issue, he has devoted his personal Facebook page to covering the weather, and urges fans to "follow" him so they can get ALL updates.

A check of his page has well over 140,000 followers, which is under the about 193,000 fans of ABC 33/40, and blows past the counts of WIAT and WVTM, but shows to how much clout he has on social media.

Of course, with Sinclair's social media policies, all of this could be in jeopardy, if they stick to them tooth and nail. Going back to a fan page may defeat the valuable purpose that his page has served if he's forced to do so.

The poster above me is called "tyrannical bastard" ... I wasn't referring to Spann.

[yt]VgiZvE7iWhI[/yt]

Ironically, Tom Skilling's younger brother is the embattled former CEO of Enron, Jeffrey Skilling.

Ironically, Tom Skilling's younger brother is the embattled former CEO of Enron, Jeffrey Skilling.

..... Brother of Enron fraudster Jeff Skilling.

AND HE COULD HAVE YOU BOTH KILLED!!!

I stand corrected WBFF does promote their apps. I normally watch their newscasts on TiVo so I normally fast forward through the advertisements. I watched their newscast live for a change and the specific apps they hawk is their WBFF Alarm Clock App and the WSI white label app Weather App.

They didn't seem to promote the iPad app.

Archived