KFMB Meltdown - Round II

n925tv

KFMB's 5pm newscast, started very different today. They went to a taped 11am show, at 5pm, instead of the regular 5pm news. A message scrolling at the bottom of the screen said that they were having Technical Difficulties, and they would resolve the problem shorty. 5 minutes into the 11am news, they cut to the live 5pm newscast, with no mention of what happened.

This has happened before, what is going on with KFMB? They just got a new set, it doesn't look good for them. If they want to be Number 1 in San Diego, they better get their act together in the Tech Department and FIX what went wrong!!!!!!!!!!

KFMB's 5pm newscast, started very different today. They went to a taped 11am show, at 5pm, instead of the regular 5pm news. A message scrolling at the bottom of the screen said that they were having Technical Difficulties, and they would resolve the problem shorty. 5 minutes into the 11am news, they cut to the live 5pm newscast, with no mention of what happened.

This has happened before, what is going on with KFMB? They just got a new set, it doesn't look good for them. If they want to be Number 1 in San Diego, they better get their act together in the Tech Department and FIX what went wrong!!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps this is the next station for CBS to dump. CBS to XETV, anyone?

They've been automated for almost two years now. The last time there was a meltdown, it wiped out the 5/6:30/11pm newscasts as well as the next day's 4:30 & 5am shows. Also, I doubt CBS would stick it to KFMB and go with XETV. Makes no sense at all.

They've been automated for almost two years now. The last time there was a meltdown, it wiped out the 5/6:30/11pm newscasts as well as the next day's 4:30 & 5am shows. Also, I doubt CBS would stick it to KFMB and go with XETV. Makes no sense at all.

It would also result in considerable legal permissions from the FCC (similar to what XETV had when affiliated with other American networks) and the SCT/IFT to continue that. I think you would also have KUSI or similar heckling CBS about affiliating with a Mexican station when American outlets were available (see 1994).

It would also result in considerable legal permissions from the FCC (similar to what XETV had when affiliated with other American networks) and the SCT/IFT to continue that. I think you would also have KUSI or similar heckling CBS about affiliating with a Mexican station when American outlets were available (see 1994).

Good points. Also, I'm not so sure CBS would want to deal with KUSI and the McKinnons. There were rumors flying around that the suits from FOX looked at KUSI as a last resort when they stripped the affiliation away from XETV. KUSI almost became a FOX station, if it weren't for Sam Zell and Tribune coming in and snatching it up.

Unless I'm mistaken, KFMB's affiliation is up either next year or the year after, and they may very well be paying close attention to what's happening in Indy, as they too carry broadcast rights to the local NFL team. However it occurs to me that CBS may not be in a position to try and squeeze as many pennies out of Midwest's pocket as they did with LIN, simply because there is no other place for them to go in San Diego. KNSD is owned by NBC, KGTV and KSWB are locked into their respective ABC and FOX affiliations for a good long while, and XETV is tied to CW for at least the next few years and would face the aforementioned regulatory hurdles of being a Mexican-owned station. That leaves independent KUSI, and if CBS wants to get more money from its affiliates, they sure as hell won't get it from the McKinnons. So I don't see CBS departing KFMB this time around.

As for KFMB's technical problems, they seem to have gotten worse since the switch to automation. No other station in the market has as many mistakes and errors as often as they do, and I can't think of a station that has been unable to air entire newscasts because of what is obviously flawed or defective technology. At some point something's gotta give because you'd think (hope) someone in the KFMB universe is embarrassed that the number 1 station in town has become such a mess.

Unless I'm mistaken, KFMB's affiliation is up either next year or the year after, and they may very well be playing close attention to what's happening in Indy, as they too carry broadcast rights to the local NFL team. However it occurs to me that CBS may not be in a position to try and squeeze as many pennies out of Midwest's pocket as they did with LIN, simply because there is no other place for them to go in San Diego. KNSD is owned by NBC, KGTV and KSWB are locked into their respective ABC and FOX affiliations for a good long while, and XETV is tied to CW for at least the next few years and would face the aforementioned regulatory hurdles of being a Mexican-owned station. That leaves independent KUSI, and if CBS' wants to get more money from its affiliates, they sure as hell won't get it from the McKinnons. So I don't see CBS departing KFMB this time around.

As for KFMB's technical problems, they seem to have gotten worse since the switch to automation. No other station in the market has as many mistakes and errors as often as they do, and I can't think of a station that has been unable to air entire newscasts because of what is obviously flawed or defective technology. At some point something's gotta give because you'd think (hope) someone in the KFMB universe is embarrassed that the number 1 station in town has become such a mess.

I'd be willing to bet that there is a higher probability that CBS buys KFMB or the station is sold to a big company than losing the affiliation. And yes, the affiliation deal is up next year as I remember a Broadcasting and Cable article back in 2005 mentioning how KFMB and CBS re-upped for another 10 years. Either way, I hope that CBS values their relationship with KFMB more than they have shown with WISH.

In regards to the automation problems. KGTV had it worse. The last major meltdown at 10 happened 3 or 4 years ago and that one wiped out the 5 and 6:30pm newscasts at the time. Not to mention the countless other times they had problems over the years. KNSD is not out of the woods either, wait till they move into their new building in a few years...

How does a thread about an automation issue turn into something to do with affiliation changes???

In a market like San Diegp, if CBS were to see consistent gaffes over at KFMB, Moonves could say "well they are unfit to air our programming". Plus, in Moonves' eye, its a matter of time before network programming such as "The Big Bang Theory" starts glitching. That's why Midwest should get that fixed before CBS bats an eye to it.

In a market like San Diegp, if CBS were to see consistent gaffes over at KFMB, Moonves could say "well they are unfit to air our programming". Plus, in Moonves' eye, its a matter of time before network programming such as "The Big Bang Theory" starts glitching. That's why Midwest should get that fixed before CBS bats an eye to it.

If the issues are limited to local broadcasts, and not to network programming, CBS doesn't care.

What does KFMB use? Ignite? Overdrive? When we have automation problems, it's something like frozen cameras or video server crash. This is twice in a short amount of time ch. 8 has physically been unable to go on the air with a live show.

As a side note, TV stations have greatly underestimated the computing power needed for automation and storage.

Beggers can't be choosers.

ABC is still consigned to KDNL, after all. And KDNL doesn't even want to make an effort.

Perhaps this is the next station for CBS to dump. CBS to XETV, anyone?

XETV had to get a waiver from the FCC in order to carry live programming from Fox (when the NFC rights moved in 1994).

Prior to that, and when they were an ABC affiliate, all network programming had to be prerecorded and 'bicycled' across the border.

I just don't see that happening at all.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I was reading and old newsblues articles and it had a quote from the GM in regards to the meltdown from back in March of this year. Apparently, KFMB is using a Sony Automation system- per the GM...

"Pat Nevin, the vice president and general manager of Midwest Television's top-rated KFMB-8-CBS in San Diego (Market #28), has blamed problems with the station's Sony automation system for crashing Tuesday's 5, 6, and 11 p.m. newscasts."

I see them just selling the station off soon...

That's what I figured- especially after all they layoffs and switch to automation a couple of years ago. That being said, they're running promos touting the fact that they're "locally owned" station. So I guess it's status quo for now.

Archived