CBS Evening News Updates Studio, Some Graphics

Geoffrey

The James Horner theme (from the Couric Era) fits the new GFX.

The Horner theme was the best theme since the '91 theme.

I'd beg to differ, there was a cut over at TVPMM, which is "Bumper 2" that I say would fit this era of the Evening News best, the bass incorporates the CBS ID (buuuu-bump-bump-bump) while it keeps the CBS News logo.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The CBS Morning News is the red-headed step child of CBS News; it normally takes them several years to get updated GFX; the 1996-era Evening News GFX pack was still being used as late as 2003. Not sure about Up To The Minute, though; nobody even seems to watch that.

Since I'm a night owl, I'll watch both every now and then. In terms of presentation, neither are really "red-headed step children" anymore. Everytime the Evening News has updated themes or graphics since the Katie Couric era, UTTM and the Morning News will get the updates 2-3 months later, so I would expect the same with the most recent graphics. UTTM also looks excellent since the switch to HD, as it now originates from the CBS This Morning studio, though strangely enough, the Morning News still comes from the Evening News set with the newsroom out of view.

In terms of content, they're both really great programs in that you can get a no-nonsense and comprehensive collection of all the unedited CBS News reports filed in the last 24 hours. I think they're both highly underrated.

Since I'm a night owl, I'll watch both every now and then. In terms of presentation, neither are really "red-headed step children" anymore. Everytime the Evening News has updated themes or graphics since the Katie Couric era, UTTM and the Morning News will get the updates 2-3 months later, so I would expect the same with the most recent graphics. UTTM also looks excellent since the switch to HD, as it now originates from the CBS This Morning studio, though strangely enough, the Morning News still comes from the Evening News set with the newsroom out of view.

This only makes sense, considering the crew is getting the CTM studio ready for the morning's broadcast.

This only makes sense, considering the crew is getting the CTM studio ready for the morning's broadcast.

I have thought of this a lot. UTTM using the studio, while the Morning News uses the Evening News studio.

That happen because This Morning needs it to prep up for the latest broadcast a few hours later.

I make a joke out of this, saying that UTTM uses the CTM studio so the cameras and lights can be heated up for CTM

• 2 weeks later...

They changed the overhead "CBS News" banner in the newsroom to match the new graphics

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/48-how-surveillance-video-paved-way-for-tsarnaevs-guilty-verdict-sarah-thomas-honored-to-be-first-full-time-female-nfl-ref/ (towards the middle of the video)

Great. Now if WIVB would work at 6:30...

What's fun about an empty newsroom? It makes him look like he's rehearsing or something. And someone's gonna mention WHDH/WSVN

• 2 weeks later...

First, they also updated the background behind the Cronkite-look-alike map to be a different, lighter shade of blue.

Second, not sure this belongs in this thread but I don't think it warrants its own (and I started this thread anyway so I can do what I want! Right?)... They just used Kathy Orr live at the KYW weather center to talk about some severe storms. And despite her radar maps on the monitors behind her, CBS used full screen maps from, get this, The Weather Channel! Why?

First, they also updated the background behind the Cronkite-look-alike map to be a different, lighter shade of blue.

Second, not sure this belongs in this thread but I don't think it warrants its own (and I started this thread anyway so I can do what I want! Right?)... They just used Kathy Orr live at the KYW weather center to talk about some severe storms. And despite her radar maps on the monitors behind her, CBS used full screen maps from, get this, The Weather Channel! Why?

Not sure I know the answer to your question, but am wondering why they used Kathy? Closer to the middle of the storms maybe? Or perhaps because KYW's meteorologists are a million times better than WCBS's weather people (at least the weekday ones)!!

Not sure I know the answer to your question, but am wondering why they used Kathy? Closer to the middle of the storms maybe? Or perhaps because KYW's meteorologists are a million times better than WCBS's weather people (at least the weekday ones)!!

Or maybe because the storms were closer to KYWs area that WCBS? But that's just a guess.

I don't see them going back to anything Couric. They'd rather forget that era. The music they picked for Pelley symbolizes their hard news past.

Not to mention of course that this music was used then with a Texan (Dan Rather) and is used now with Scott Pelley (also a Texan).

Archived