CBS Evening News Updates Studio, Some Graphics

Geoffrey

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's been fluff ever since the end of Diane's first week.

Diane started out relatively strong. Her newscast was very news heavy, her anchoring style was bleh though. It wasn't up until about a year into her reign on WN that she began incorporating all the fluff crap for whatever reason. I just remember her 2010 Haitian earthquake and BP Oil Spill coverage being second to none. Scott Pelley's newscast is far better than what Brian and especially Diane put out. Intriguing to me that he hasn't been able to capture more viewers.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bump an old thread but the CBS Evening News with Scott Pelley is in the CBS This Morning studio tonight. The open called it "CBS News Election Headquarters in Studio 47 57." (Thank you, PittCleTV!)

I think it looks cool.

Updated with some snapshots:

6wpGfBx.jpg

rtWKqaM.jpg

hpsgp9U.jpg

sAv9h73.jpg

vAdrMhw.jpg

q2Wudui.jpg

wmwiCaZ.jpg

3SSVXBk.jpg

Sorry to bump an old thread but the CBS Evening News with Scott Pelley is in the CBS This Morning studio tonight. The open called it "CBS News Election Headquarters in Studio 47 57." (Thank you, PittCleTV!)

I think it looks cool.

Updated with some snapshots:

6wpGfBx.jpg

rtWKqaM.jpg

hpsgp9U.jpg

sAv9h73.jpg

vAdrMhw.jpg

q2Wudui.jpg

wmwiCaZ.jpg

3SSVXBk.jpg

I like it! Hope they are making some more major updates to the Evening News set over the next 2 days...

They should keep him there.

I completely agree. It's not like it would be Nightly News anchoring from Studio 1A. The CTM studio is still very professional while also having a advanced feel. I would love if they kept the Evening News there.

Now if they would bring back the theme from Katie Couric's tenure at CBS....

I remember reading when they were building that studio and before the relaunch of This Morning that they were planning on, or at least seriously considered, moving the Evening News into that studio.

I would love to see them stay there or at least eventually update Studio 47 to match.

I really like this look. The current studio serves a utilitarian purpose while stupid 57 is equally as utilitarian but contemporary in style.

Hey, didn't that desk use to have big prongs sticking out from the sides? What happened to those?

The prongs are removable. When I first started watching this morning my mind was blown (figuratively) at the fact they are added and removed within a short commercial break.

If I recall correctly there is this 5 foot wide window of the studio that allows passersby a view behind the video wall. Normally during the shows there is something blocking it. I only noticed this when I saw this picture on twitter during the World Cup where the game was on the big screen, the house lights off and bright light coming from a window.

Here's a picture from CBS News VP and EP of CBS This Morning:

https://twitter.com/chrislicht/status/482194960952090624

(You may need to refresh to see the picture).

• 3 months later...

If you've been watching the CBS Evening News in recent weeks, you probably noticed that they've been using more of the studio.

They've been having correspondents occasionally tag their reports in the newsroom behind Scott, then looking at him when tossing back. Sometimes Scott will sit in front of the desk and they'll use both the curved screen on the front of the desk and the big projection screen on the right to display graphics.

I noticed in the last few days, Scott's even presented from the newsroom area himself.

It feels a lot like local news and kind of like they're asking themselves "how many different presentation points can we use tonight?" But I kind of like it.

(If you aren't a regular viewer, this might not seem all that interesting. But the CBS Evening News used to pretty much only keep Scott Pelley behind the desk... sometimes they'd use the screen to the right, sometimes the one to the left, but that was it.)

What I can't get over is how much the two incarnations of Scott Pelley's set have looked like higher-tech versions of the last two incarnations of Dan Rather's set.

pS4YwCS.png

uuDHE4f.png

As I was grabbing screenshots, I came across this video showing the 1996-2006 set being installed. Is it just me, or is the balcony that was shown being installed in this clip pretty much untouched in the current set, right down to the big bank of monitors above and directly behind the desk (although they haven't really been seen on camera much recently)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZWbltS2CWs

If you've been watching the CBS Evening News in recent weeks, you probably noticed that they've been using more of the studio.

They've been having correspondents occasionally tag their reports in the newsroom behind Scott, then looking at him when tossing back. Sometimes Scott will sit in front of the desk and they'll use both the curved screen on the front of the desk and the big projection screen on the right to display graphics.

I noticed in the last few days, Scott's even presented from the newsroom area himself.

It feels a lot like local news and kind of like they're asking themselves "how many different presentation points can we use tonight?" But I kind of like it.

(If you aren't a regular viewer, this might not seem all that interesting. But the CBS Evening News used to pretty much only keep Scott Pelley behind the desk... sometimes they'd use the screen to the right, sometimes the one to the left, but that was it.)

Definitely noticed this. I mean, look at yesterday's broadcast. He even starts standing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzFXdyy4xew

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It looks like they've given the flagship the same logo treatment as Face the Nation last year.

Overall, the new graphics are a welcomed change, but it's a little jarring and a touch too busy, especially in the lower thirds. I wasn't a fan of any of the three networks' graphics, and this really doesn't change that, just the reason why.

Archived