ABC This Week

NYNewser_676

ABC's Political Director, Rick Klein, tweeted this evening that "This Week" is going to be implementing a new segment to keep up with politics on social media, called "Facebook Find." This seems similar to the social media segment that David Muir piloted on the ABC Graphics vimeo account... Any thoughts?

Yet another reason why I feel as if ABC News is mainly fluff. So what are they doing, dedicating a segment of the show to Facebook so we can keep up with what politicians are saying on Facebook?

This is fluff? How many Americans use social media as a main resource for communication and information. ABC is evolving their network and viewers are responding. Why is that bad?

It was not nearly as social media centric as you'd think having read this topic. They spent about 10 seconds acknowledging that there was chatter on Facebook about whether a nine year old should be able to use an Uzi in response to the shooting accident that took place, and then the question was posed to the roundtable and a political discussion ensued.

It's not much beyond a jumpstarter for political discussion. I wouldn't call it fluff. I'd call it an acknowledgement of the era.

This is fluff? How many Americans use social media as a main resource for communication and information. ABC is evolving their network and viewers are responding. Why is that bad?

Because I have yet to see social media be used as a segment on a broadcast successfully or in a manner that was informing and providing relevant information. I'm not talking about organizations using Facebook to report the news or whatever, I'm talking about organizations featuring entire segments on air to social media reading random tweets about what people think about X & Y subject.

It was not nearly as social media centric as you'd think having read this topic. They spent about 10 seconds acknowledging that there was chatter on Facebook about whether a nine year old should be able to use an Uzi in response to the shooting accident that took place, and then the question was posed to the roundtable and a political discussion ensued.

It's not much beyond a jumpstarter for political discussion. I wouldn't call it fluff. I'd call it an acknowledgement of the era.

If that's all it is, then fine. But if they start going on Facebook rounds showing us what random people's thoughts are or something...

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As we all know, for a while now Martha Raddatz has been anchoring This Week about half of the time, George anchoring the rest. Do you all think there will be a point when ABC just gives the show to Martha or further expands her role on This Week? I know George likes This Week and he adds name recognition to the show and all but I feel like watching the program even over the last few months, the show has seemingly become more of Martha's show than George's.

Ratings are good whether its George or Martha and it could be good for George to be able to focus more on GMA because things haven't been as great there recently.

Don't mistake this question as ignorance, I am well aware of all the positives of having George anchor This Week, I just thought this conversation could be interesting.

Unfortunately, as capable as Raddatz is, I do not envision ABC ever going in that direction full time. ABC is still verrrrry male dominated. I can more easily see a gradual grooming of Jonathan Karl to take over. But I don't see George letting go of the show anytime soon. In fact, I think he would give up GMA faster than he would This Week. He's ultimately a political animal.

• 3 months later...

Three months later, Martha Raddatz has been named co-anchor of the program alongside George. Unlike Sam Donaldson and Cokie Roberts in the 90's, Martha and George will not anchor together, but will continue alternating weeks as they've done for more than a year.

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/martha-raddatz-named-co-anchor-of-this-week-with-george-stephanopoulos/282734

Three months later, Martha Raddatz has been named co-anchor of the program alongside George. Unlike Sam Donaldson and Cokie Roberts in the 90's, Martha and George will not anchor together, but will continue alternating weeks as they've done for more than a year.

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/martha-raddatz-named-co-anchor-of-this-week-with-george-stephanopoulos/282734

They should just give her the show full-time instead of this back-and-forth. Raddatz deserves it and she does a great job. I think George would be just fine doing just GMA.

• 9 months later...

So as you all may know, Megyn Kelly's contract is up in July. Fox wants to keep her but who knows what she'll do.

In a WSJ article today, it mentions that CNN and ABC are reportedly interested in Kelly. Megyn will be co-hosting Live with Kelly the morning after election day and reports are that ABC could be testing her out for their programs. The WSJ article specifically mentions GMA or an evening newsmagazine.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/megyn-kelly-seeks-salary-north-of-20-million-in-contract-talks-with-fox-news-1477527922

But that had me thinking... what are your thoughts on Megyn Kelly taking over This Week?

I know George loves politics and he's ABC's chief anchor... yada yada yada, but I think Megyn Kelly would be the PERFECT candidate to moderate This Week. It would allow George to keep his focus on GMA which certianly needs him to be focused and while Martha Raddatz is fantastic, quite frankly she's old and wouldn't be there for too long.

They could give George the position ABC News Political Director or some fancy political title to make it clear he's still in charge of politics at ABC on top of GMA co-anchor and ABC News Chief Anchor and make the program, This Week with Megyn Kelly. She definitely has the chops...

What do you think? If not This Week, where could she potentially fit in at ABC News?

So as you all may know, Megyn Kelly's contract is up in July. Fox wants to keep her but who knows what she'll do.

In a WSJ article today, it mentions that CNN and ABC are reportedly interested in Kelly. Megyn will be co-hosting Live with Kelly the morning after election day and reports are that ABC could be testing her out for their programs. The WSJ article specifically mentions GMA or an evening newsmagazine.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/megyn-kelly-seeks-salary-north-of-20-million-in-contract-talks-with-fox-news-1477527922

But that had me thinking... what are your thoughts on Megyn Kelly taking over This Week?

I know George loves politics and he's ABC's chief anchor... yada yada yada, but I think Megyn Kelly would be the PERFECT candidate to moderate This Week. It would allow George to keep his focus on GMA which certianly needs him to be focused and while Martha Raddatz is fantastic, quite frankly she's old and wouldn't be there for too long.

They could give George the position ABC News Political Director or some fancy political title to make it clear he's still in charge of politics at ABC on top of GMA co-anchor and ABC News Chief Anchor and make the program, This Week with Megyn Kelly. She definitely has the chops...

What do you think? If not This Week, where could she potentially fit in at ABC News?

I think she'd be a good fit as contributor to Good Morning America and a round table panelist on This Week in addition to prime time specials. I like her a lot but This Week is doing fine with George and Martha.

I think she'd be a good fit as contributor to Good Morning America and a round table panelist on This Week in addition to prime time specials.

The problem with that is she wouldn't leave Fox News for a contributor role at ABC. If she were to join ABC News, she'd be an anchor no doubt.

I like her a lot but This Week is doing fine with George and Martha.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with this assessment. They're getting by and doing well in the demo but for such a monumental election year, Meet The Press with Chuck Todd is the real star right now. Face the Nation does inherently well because it's rated for the first half hour only but I think This Week can do better.

She seems like someone who would work well on GMA, but the show is already bloated with 20 people at the desk as it is, and it wouldn't be fair to Amy Robach since she's already getting sidelined for Micheal Strahan.

The View is technically under the ABC News umbrella, so I wouldn't be surprised if they are trying to convince to go there. She could also go the Katie Couric route and develop a daytime talkshow around her if the ABC O&O's are still game for a new talkshow after flops from Couric and Tyra Bank's FabLife, she is appearing on Disney-ABC's most prized syndicated offering Live with Kelly afterall.

By virtue that she comes from FOX... you can expect Clique issues no matter where these trial balloons end up.

She has a good thing going abet the old Ailes issues, she needs to be cautious because the baby-cryers will be out in force after her.

It takes just one minor (alleged) "incident" to be labeled as "difficult".

Everyone will be gunning for Kelly....beware.

Everyone will be gunning for Kelly....beware.

I wouldn't be so sure of that.

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016/10/exclusive-megyn-kelly-fox-news-offer

But so far, the purported auction for Kelly’s services has not come to fruition. One CNN insider explained, “of course we would love to have her,” before noting that poaching Kelly, given the likely cost of her contract, “is not something we are seriously considering.” Instead, this person elaborated, CNN is investing more in documentary-style programming after the election. “I don’t believe anyone is pursuing her other than Fox at this point,” said one ABC insider. A source close to CBS said that they are not making an offer, either. (The person close to Kelly noted that discussions with rival executives were ongoing.)

Anyways, I'm not sure of her fit on a morning show as she really hasn't shown that sort of lighter side to make it work.

• 7 months later...

It looks like This Week has unveiled a new open, theme, and adjusted logo in the last few weeks. The bug and lower thirds have not changed, but the full screen graphics and in-studio displays have also been redone. The new look definitely fits the news division's other properties, but I do wonder when one of ABC's programs will redesign for 16:9. Election night, the Comey and Sessions testimonies have used widescreen-friendly packages, but everyday special reports have not.

[MEDIA=vimeo]223323738[/MEDIA]

1818372750_bandicam2017-06-2717-55-03-594.thumb.png.75487fab404d60c1ebd4c39d09ad9285.png

Archived