WJLA - New Graphics Coming?

compubit

Sinclair's overall ticker setup is extremely buggy and is prone to problems, I know this from experience. There are occasions where producers will update the ticker and it will completely seize up. I blame it mostly on bad coding, which we all know Sinclair is great at; just look at their websites.

Explains why stations like WOAI aren't using the SBG ticker.

• 2 weeks later...

Abc33/40 in Birmingham has started using some of these weather graphics on air. One would assume a total graphics overhaul is eminent.

Which frankly can not come quick enough as the Orange/blue motif they have had since going HD is TERRIBLE!

Hate to see newsone v.1 go away, they have used that music since signing on the air in 1996...

When will the Barrington stations finally get the Sinclair look. I know WPDE still using their graphic for 5 years and it was just a refresh of the other graphics from 2006. I can't wait until they get something else and get rid of the " X-package" theme. That the Fox stations used.

Funny how these stations are getting the new graphics before legacy stations like WEAR and WLOS.

To be honest though ... The blue/orange package that all the allbriton stations got (except for wjla) were terrible. I'm glad to see that go.

Problem right now is the new weather graphics with the L3 of the old stuff just looks bad. Could we not wait and roll everything out at the same time?

To be honest though ... The blue/orange package that all the allbriton stations got (except for wjla) were terrible. I'm glad to see that go.

Problem right now is the new weather graphics with the L3 of the old stuff just looks bad. Could we not wait and roll everything out at the same time?

Sinclair did the same thing with WJLA. They were using the Sinclair weather package for a few months before rolling out the rest of the package. I'm not sure why that is.

Funny how these stations are getting the new graphics before legacy stations like WEAR and WLOS.

The stations getting the graphics already could already have WSI weather computers. It'd just be a matter of loading the new graphics in.

The stations getting the graphics already could already have WSI weather computers. It'd just be a matter of loading the new graphics in.

I may be wrong but I read either a different forum or blog that the graphics packages are sent to WSI which then sends the package and occasional special events graphics to the computer.

I believe multiple graphics packages can be loaded into WSI, where the meteorologist can choose the right look for the show. I saw a Instagram post where Janice Huff and Steve Sosna showing a the preparations for a Nightly News hit from the WNBC studio. They were in the WNBC Weather Center and the computer had a different graphics package in the title bar. This package appeared to be bare bones Look F.

I may be wrong but I read either a different forum or blog that the graphics packages are sent to WSI which then sends the package and occasional special events graphics to the computer.

I believe multiple graphics packages can be loaded into WSI, where the meteorologist can choose the right look for the show. I saw a Instagram post where Janice Huff and Steve Sosna showing a the preparations for a Nightly News hit from the WNBC studio. They were in the WNBC Weather Center and the computer had a different graphics package in the title bar. This package appeared to be bare bones Look F.

Pretty much. WSI does an initial assembly of a set number of base graphics (i.e. 7 Day, Day Planner, Commute Forecast, etc. Anything that's not a map.) when you purchase a system. The rest usually get filled in when the meteorologists get trained on the system. Not everything needs to go through WSI, but it's just easier because then someone doesn't need to tie up the weather computer for hours setting up new graphics. There is, however, a charge when duopolies or different packages are involved, but I'm unsure if this is just for setup or part of the licensing (e.g. you can only have as many packages as you're licensed for).

WSI will also tie station groups together and allow them to share stuff they make between stations. So if James Spann makes a neat animation of a tornado moving through the Birmingham area, he can put it on the shared content site and someone at WJLA can download it and drop it in their forecast.

Doesn't really explain why they switch the weather graphics first, though. Might have to do with the packages thing.

I know KATV switched to the new weather graphics because their contract with Weather Central expired and since Weather Central was purchased by WSI they switched to the WSI system. I know WSI is going through updates with their older systems so that may explain why 33/40 made the switch.

Allbritton could be a much quicker transition depending on how compatible the existing graphics system is with what Sinclair is rolling out....since most of their stations were already uniform, it may be something as simple as deploying a new set of graphics. Hardware changes could take much longer and could be a reason why WEAR and WLOS are still with the first generation of graphics. Add WPMI into the mix, and they were on whatever Newport gave them, so they would definitely need to swap out...

WJAR could change quickly as well. With WVTM and WJAR both being post-Media General stations now in different hands and coming from the same graphics hub, as soon as the agreement expires and/or the new operating companies (Sinclair and Hearst) have their own looks that can be implemented quckly. It all depends on the CG that's being used. I don't think WJAR keeping their look is a long-term deal since it's now in the hands of one of their fiercest competitors.

Archived