New KSTP Graphics & Set

roscoryan

Guest NewsHound
http://www.kstp.com/article/12303/?vid=5477891&v=1

The graphics are an improvement for KSTP, but that updated set is awful!

They are very nice graphics, reminds me of a Blue Helio-Esque background with KABC elements. It's not the most consistent graphics package in the world, but it isn't terrible. Not really digging the red swooshes around the 5, going to miss the red rhombus behind it.

As for the set, I don't mind it. It's a warm set, it is no frills but it almost doesn't need it. It puts the stories and the storytellers front and center and breaks the mold of having bezeless video walls and technology, the lack of technology actually makes it stand out. I think the desk is probably the best part of the set. That isn't to say that wouldn't go great with a video wall or at least a few HDTVs, but I almost think it doesn't need it as long as you have good storytellers.

First, I'm sure someone will ask soon enough who designed/built this. I heard it was the folks from Erector Sets, the same people responsible for WTXF's new set.

The graphics are an improvement for KSTP, but that updated set is awful!

That's not saying much. I think it speaks to how bad the old graphics were. This new set although an "improvement" is still kind of rough in my eyes.

As for the set, I don't mind it. It's a warm set, it is no frills but it almost doesn't need it. It puts the stories and the storytellers front and center and breaks the mold of having bezeless video walls and technology, the lack of technology actually makes it stand out. I think the desk is probably the best part of the set. That isn't to say that wouldn't go great with a video wall or at least a few HDTVs, but I almost think it doesn't need it as long as you have good storytellers.

If that's the case someone should go run down to the local Best Buy and pick up a truck load of TVs now.

I thought I heard KSTC was getting a new desk as part of the set redesign as well. They had their own desk in the now old studio design. But, they were at this desk this morning. So, maybe it's being built in phases or I heard wrong, IDK.

If this is it (and there isn't more to come) it doesn't appear to make very good use of the space compared to the previous studio design. The graphics and set are very meh. So, par for the course when it comes to KSTP.

Actually, I really look the whole revamp. The detailed simplicity of the set and graphics makes for a mostly clean look, which tends to be difficult to achieve. The only thing I'd remove the right red swoosh (or both) on the logo.

First, I'm sure someone will ask soon enough who designed/built this. I heard it was the folks from Erector Sets, the same people responsible for WTXF's new set.

Looks more like a Park Place job than anything else, judging by the shape of the desk (which is similar to KGTV's).

I'm okay with the updated logo, but like Tom said, they would've been better off leaving out the red swooshes.

Here's my opinion of KSTP's new look: the graphics look like they're from 2007 and not 2014, the set looks more like a late '90s news set, and unless they have done it prior to the "upgrade", why does KSTP seem to go to the newsroom more than any other station? For a top-20 market, KSTP sure seems to be run rather chintzy. The only good thing is that the "groovy 5" is less dated than before but that's not saying much.

I guess KSTP proves that locally owned doesn't always mean 'best in the market.'

They proved that journalistically a few weeks ago. And Hubbard isn't exactly a mom and pop shop either, they own radio stations in quite a few middle to large markets (including WTOP), so they make quite a bit in revenue, it just never seems to carry over to their TV stations for some reason.

Graphics are ok but the new logo looks wierd without the red square.

They proved that journalistically a few weeks ago. And Hubbard isn't exactly a mom and pop shop either, they own radio stations in quite a few middle to large markets (including WTOP), so they make quite a bit in revenue, it just never seems to carry over to their TV stations for some reason.

Albany the exception though I wonder how unstable that shop will become when their GM and their anchor core retires.

It is at least different. The anchors do pop better than before and warm set elements are a nice change of pace. Preferred the old logo.

But CCO and KARE definitely look more advanced.

Feels like KSTP's image is constantly dictated by consultants. And the advice this time was "let the anchors pop."

I don't see it mentioned anywhere here, but someone commented on NewscastStudio that KSTP's old set is currently being installed at KAAL in Rochester, MN.

Yeah. To the best of my knowledge it's being repurposed at the new KAAL facility in Rochester. I don't believe the whole set is making the trip but, a good chunk of it is. So, it should reappear in a few months.

That said now that I've had a little time to digest this here are my thoughts.

First, They need to drop the red from the graphics and logo. The overall graphics package is nice but, the red elements are distracting. They could keep the "swoosh" on the logo if they changed the color to yellow.

Second, I think if we saw a wide shot of the entire studio this studio redesign wouldn't look as bad. The ancillary areas (interview set, weather center, stand up/utility area) that have appeared on air are quite nice. They help make up for the simplicity of home base as the ancillary areas have more elements to them. I really think some wide shots would give a better overall picture as to the design/vision. The only issue is that unless something changed (and I doubt it has) KSTP's studio is set up in a 360 degree layout with the cameras in the center. So, it precludes any wide shots from making it on air.

Lastly, I'm still curious if there might be another ancillary area or two left to build/debut. KSTP/KSTC had three desks in their previous studio design. So, unless the home base area (or, main desk) is larger than it appears there should still be some space left over. It doesn't appear to be much bigger than the previous desk nor, do any of the ancillary sets. And, some of the shots of the ancillary areas are blocked weird. My guess is they are building and disassembling in phases. In other words the new set(s) are one side and the what is left of the old set is on the other side. IDK, could be wrong but we shall see. Either way I hope Erector Sets posts some decent pictures (especially wide shots) on their site when everything is done.

Graphics are ok but the new logo looks wierd without the red square.

It is at least different. The anchors do pop better than before and warm set elements are a nice change of pace. Preferred the old logo.

But CCO and KARE definitely look more advanced.

Feels like KSTP's image is constantly dictated by consultants. And the advice this time was "let the anchors pop."

As for the current look it very pale & stale and their look very odd, and there nothing that eye catching. The backdrop should of have they skyline of both cities. The desk looks odd, and the graphics are not eye catching. The groovy 5 is white, and the music is eh nothing to write home about. Believe it or not, but the decor of the studio all goes with the setting of the stations look, and it not a looker. See if they stop spending their money on consultants they could afford to have a better studio.

For KSTP to be a "legacy station" and locally owned and operated by a local family, and still hasn't rebound from it glory days. Despite the viewers changing habits of watching local news KSTP is still in third place in the local news game. They have always done well producing a quality newscast, and have some good talented people over the years.

The problem is Stanley Hubbard ego and he always listened to his bestie Frank M. Magid & associates to get the consultants take. After all these years one would stop listening to the same hog sh** even if the consultant company was run by your college roommate. The advice that been given to Stanley & Co should save that $$$ and find a way to dig yourself out of #3 or even #4.

WCCO & KMSP have their network to depend on and KARE has Gannett, but Hubbard was on top in the 70s and 80s, but their fall from grace in the 80s took them to the bottom. The problem is the station has no stability, and those popular anchors came and went. Stanley Hubbard surprises me in his thinking. Yes, the father Stanley E. Hubbard was innovator, but his Son thinking has them several decades behind, but they did have the All Night News and USSB Satellite.

From tcmedianow.com Pat Miles interviews Stanley Hubbard and Cyndy Brucato....very interesting to say-

http://tcmedianow.com/video/kare-a-pat-miles-special-with-stanley-hubbard-yanni-greg-lemond-full-special-aired-may-1991/

http://tcmedianow.com/video/pat-miles-special-steve-and-sharon-cyndy-brucato-tom-barnard-and-dave-moore/

P.S. The look of 30 years ago is more appealing than what is 30 years later

http://tcmedianow.com/video/kstp-tv-eyewitness-news-update-full-report-from-january-28-1985-stan-turner-cyndy-brucato-dennis-feltgen-bob-bruce-includes-met-stadium-demolition/

Fascinating video.

Always had a sense KSTP was a more consultant-driven shop than most. But didn't realize it was that close a tie with Magid.

This latest change has Magid playbook written all over it. "Research tells us talent is unrecognized." "Solution: Make the set undistracting from the talent."

Instead of...

Team of reporters / anchors /newsroom isn't gelling.

As for the current look it very pale & stale and their look very odd, and there nothing that eye catching. The backdrop should of have they skyline of both cities. The desk looks odd, and the graphics are not eye catching. The groovy 5 is white, and the music is eh nothing to write home about. Believe it or not, but the decor of the studio all goes with the setting of the stations look, and it not a looker. See if they stop spending their money on consultants they could afford to have a better studio.

For KSTP to be a "legacy station" and locally owned and operated by a local family, and still hasn't rebound from it glory days. Despite the viewers changing habits of watching local news KSTP is still in third place in the local news game. They have always done well producing a quality newscast, and have some good talented people over the years.

The problem is Stanley Hubbard ego and he always listened to his bestie Frank M. Magid & associates to get the consultants take. After all these years one would stop listening to the same hog sh** even if the consultant company was run by your college roommate. The advice that been given to Stanley & Co should save that $$$ and find a way to dig yourself out of #3 or even #4.

WCCO & KMSP have their network to depend on and KARE has Gannett, but Hubbard was on top in the 70s and 80s, but their fall from grace in the 80s took them to the bottom. The problem is the station has no stability, and those popular anchors came and went. Stanley Hubbard surprises me in his thinking. Yes, the father Stanley E. Hubbard was innovator, but his Son thinking has them several decades behind, but they did have the All Night News and USSB Satellite.

From tcmedianow.com Pat Miles interviews Stanley Hubbard and Cyndy Brucato....very interesting to say-

http://tcmedianow.com/video/kare-a-pat-miles-special-with-stanley-hubbard-yanni-greg-lemond-full-special-aired-may-1991/

http://tcmedianow.com/video/pat-miles-special-steve-and-sharon-cyndy-brucato-tom-barnard-and-dave-moore/

P.S. The look of 30 years ago is more appealing than what is 30 years later

http://tcmedianow.com/video/kstp-tv-eyewitness-news-update-full-report-from-january-28-1985-stan-turner-cyndy-brucato-dennis-feltgen-bob-bruce-includes-met-stadium-demolition/

Fascinating video.

Always had a sense KSTP was a more consultant-driven shop than most. But didn't realize it was that close a tie with Magid.

Magid lived next door to Hubbard no less . The New York stations cut their ties to Magid which they had going back to the Viacom days a while back; IIRC WNYT was where Magid launched "Live, Local, Late-Breaking".

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah. To the best of my knowledge it's being repurposed at the new KAAL facility in Rochester. I don't believe the whole set is making the trip but, a good chunk of it is. So, it should reappear in a few months.

That said now that I've had a little time to digest this here are my thoughts.

First, They need to drop the red from the graphics and logo. The overall graphics package is nice but, the red elements are distracting. They could keep the "swoosh" on the logo if they changed the color to yellow.

Second, I think if we saw a wide shot of the entire studio this studio redesign wouldn't look as bad. The ancillary areas (interview set, weather center, stand up/utility area) that have appeared on air are quite nice. They help make up for the simplicity of home base as the ancillary areas have more elements to them. I really think some wide shots would give a better overall picture as to the design/vision. The only issue is that unless something changed (and I doubt it has) KSTP's studio is set up in a 360 degree layout with the cameras in the center. So, it precludes any wide shots from making it on air.

Lastly, I'm still curious if there might be another ancillary area or two left to build/debut. KSTP/KSTC had three desks in their previous studio design. So, unless the home base area (or, main desk) is larger than it appears there should still be some space left over. It doesn't appear to be much bigger than the previous desk nor, do any of the ancillary sets. And, some of the shots of the ancillary areas are blocked weird. My guess is they are building and disassembling in phases. In other words the new set(s) are one side and the what is left of the old set is on the other side. IDK, could be wrong but we shall see. Either way I hope Erector Sets posts some decent pictures (especially wide shots) on their site when everything is done.

The Austin KAAL facilities or have they all moved to Rochester now. I used to live in that market and know they have (or had) an Austin facility. Also FWIW Hubbard Broadcasting owns KAAL and the ABC station in DUluth MN so all the ABC stations in MN are Hubbard owned

The Austin KAAL facilities or have they all moved to Rochester now. I used to live in that market and know they have (or had) an Austin facility. Also FWIW Hubbard Broadcasting owns KAAL and the ABC station in DUluth MN so all the ABC stations in MN are Hubbard owned

DIdn't realize till now that Hubbard owns all ABC stations in Minnesota. Just like how Forum Communications owns all ABC stations in North Dakota while Quincy owns all but 2 stations in Wisconsin (those 2 are Milwaukee and Green Bay)

To the best of my knowledge it's headed to Rochester (or, at least the bulk of it.) They are building a new facility in Rochester. If you are familiar with the area it will be directly across from the Apache Mall on the west side of Hwy. 52 next to TJ Maxx.

The new facility in Rochester will house the newsroom, sports, weather and the main studio. The current Austin facility will remain and continue housing Sales, Traffic and Master Control. They will set up (or, leave) a "news bureau" along with a "secondary studio" in Austin. So, they are basically reversing the current set up of their news operation with Rochester becoming the primary base and Austin taking on the secondary role.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I know I'm bumping an old thread. But, I think I'm adding some relevant info...albeit a little bit delayed.

First, Erector Sets finally posted some images to their portfolio online. So, for those hoping for a better look at KSTP's new set and a better feel for the overall design here you go.

Second, The Erector Sets site stated "The major request from KSTP was for their new set to be clean and simple – allowing the talent to be the storytellers without visual distractions." This made me chuckle given how many people caught on to this (and, Magid's influence) immediately here on page one. If you wanted or needed conformation you got it.

Finally, as previously stated the "old" KSTP set made it's way down to Rochester for installation within the new facility at sister station, KAAL. The set made it's debut at KAAL at the beginning of the month. For those interested here is a gallery from KAAL's facebook page of the set in it's new home. And, one more of the other side of the studio housing the green screen. The camera and prompter set up is interesting and let's just say "compact." And, of course they have a Magid approved plain backdrop as well. If you wanted jog your memory here are a few images of the set along with the floor plan when it was at KSTP courtesy of Park Place Design and Kevin Alter.

Archived