KCAL 9 is axing its 2 & 3pm newscasts.

CircleSeven

TVSpy stated this afternoon that KCAL 9 is dumping its hourly 2pm & half-hourly 3pm newscasts before the new year. Judge Mathis & The People's Court will fill those timeslots.

Some of the staff that work during the afternoon shows on KCAL 9, will be reassigned to the early evening shows on Channel 2.

For a station that has been known to have news at uncoventional times, this is a complete surprise.

TVSpy stated this afternoon that KCAL 9 is dumping its hourly 2pm & half-hourly 3pm newscasts before the new year. Judge Mathis & The People's Court will fill those timeslots.

Some of the staff that work during the afternoon shows on KCAL 9, will be reassigned to the early evening shows on Channel 2.

For a station that has been known to have news at uncoventional times, this is a complete surprise.

I'm surprised as well. L.A. is a much busier market than N.Y.C.

Sandra Mitchell currently anchors those shows in addition to the noon. Since they are axing those 2 newscasts, I wonder if they are gonna have her be a reporter/fill-in anchor on the morning shows, or a reporter/fill-in anchor on the early evening shows over on KCBS?.

A little off-topic, but what's the anchor and weather roster looking like at KCAL these days? I remember they switched 2's morning team and 9's evening team like last year, and I know Kent Shocknek left not too long ago.

A little off-topic, but what's the anchor and weather roster looking like at KCAL these days? I remember they switched 2's morning team and 9's evening team like last year, and I know Kent Shocknek left not too long ago.

Sandra Mitchell does the noon, 2 & 3 pm shows.

Leyna Nguyen & Sylvia Lopez are on at 4 & 9

Suzie Suh & Juan Fernadez (haven't watched lately) are on at 8 & 10.

Josh Rubenstein does the weather for the afternoon shows, while Rich Fields does the weather for the evening shows.

Not to sure about the weekends.

It is surprising since during the November sweeps viewers were up 45% at 2 p.m. and 15% at 3 p.m. on KCAL. However, CBS 2 experienced declines at 5 and 6 and are in a distant 3rd place. Maybe the thinking of throwing more resources at KCBS will help them. I don't think it will. Or maybe the folks at KCBS/KCAL were stretched too thin and the 2 and 3pm newscasts were probably the lowest rated and so they got bumped.

It is surprising since during the November sweeps viewers were up 45% at 2 p.m. and 15% at 3 p.m. on KCAL. However, CBS 2 experienced declines at 5 and 6 and are in a distant 3rd place. Maybe the thinking of throwing more resources at KCBS will help them. I don't think it will. Or maybe the folks at KCBS/KCAL were stretched too thin and the 2 and 3pm newscasts were probably the lowest rated and so they got bumped.

It seems like management had been looking to cut the newscasts for a while now. They never filled the vacancy left by Dave Gonzalez, and Sandra Mitchell was really boring to watch. Can't say that i'm surprised by these moves.

• 2 weeks later...

I just looked at the guide on my cable and it appears that starting tomorrow (12/26), KTLA will become your new place to turn to for news at unconventional times. They will have an hourlong 2 PM and an half-hour 3 PM on Fridays. Monday through Thursday will have three hours of afternoon news from 1 to 4 PM. I figured KTLA would fill the news void (for lack of a better word) that KCAL will create starting this Monday (12/29). Just thought I'd let you all know.

Also posted in the other thread about this topic. Looks like KTLA is establishing a permanent 1 hour 3 p.m. newscast. The 2 p.m. newscast is scheduled only 12/29 through 12/31. Coincidentally, 12/29 is the first date that KCAL's new schedule takes effect without its 2 and 3 p.m. newscasts. Maybe KTLA is airing those special newscasts at 2 p.m. those days for people looking to tune into KCAL's and will use the 2 p.m. newscasts to promote their new 3 p.m. Starting Friday 1/2, Celebrity Name Game is scheduled at 2 p.m. and is sandwiched between KTLA News at 1 and KTLA News at 3.

Also, the 4 p.m. newscast on KCAL is being shortened to 30 minutes. I didnt see that in the official announcement that KCBS/KCAL made. Inside Edition will move to 4:30 p.m.

Also posted in the other thread about this topic. Looks like KTLA is establishing a permanent 1 hour 3 p.m. newscast. The 2 p.m. newscast is scheduled only 12/29 through 12/31. Coincidentally, 12/29 is the first date that KCAL's new schedule takes effect without its 2 and 3 p.m. newscasts. Maybe KTLA is airing those special newscasts at 2 p.m. those days for people looking to tune into KCAL's and will use the 2 p.m. newscasts to promote their new 3 p.m. Starting Friday 1/2, Celebrity Name Game is scheduled at 2 p.m. and is sandwiched between KTLA News at 1 and KTLA News at 3.

Also, the 4 p.m. newscast on KCAL is being shortened to 30 minutes. I didnt see that in the official announcement that KCBS/KCAL made. Inside Edition will move to 4:30 p.m.

Considering how badly Celebrity Name Game has done for KTLA in the ratings (as previously mentioned in this thread, it has changed timeslots twice in two months), it won't be long until there is a 2 PM newscast on KTLA full time. I have a feeling that the 4 PM newscast on KCAL is not long for this world either.

I'm not interested on going to the very bad CBS Local site, but what is their morning lineup (if they have one?)

Is this going to cause an aftershock to KCAL's ratings overall or just daypart?

They still got more news during the day compared to WLNY.

My question is what station will be the breaking news when its outside of news? Is it typically KCAL for chases and KCBS for a brief flash and tell the viewers to go to 9? I've wondered how that worked.

Sort of depends on what the breaking news is. If it is of major caliber, both stations will simulcast the same broadcast. But as you mentioned if it is a car chase outside of normal KCBS broadcasts it will be on KCAL.

that's just crazy, they should just break on KCBS then move CBS programming over to KCAL. Like I said before that's how my duopoly works.

As I posted in the other thread about filling the void of KCAL's cancellation, KTLA has scheduled a 3-hour news block from 1-4 PM this week, M-F, starting 1/5. Celebrity Name Game will now be in its 4th time period on KTLA since September, 7pm to 5pm to 2pm to 3am (7 PM was 1/2 hour, all others are an hour).

News not on the schedule yet for the following week in the 2 PM hour. We'll see if that changes this week.

Will the 2 p.m. newscast continue the week of 1/12? Advertisements on KTLA are now promoting Celebrity Name Game at 10 a.m. This will be the 5th timeslot. My uverse guide and zap2it listings still show it at 2 p.m. next week. Currently, Steve Wilkos airs at 10 a.m. Wonder will it go?

Looks like Celebrity Name Game was renewed for Season 2. Tribune Stations have picked up the show for next season.

On KTLA, Steve Wilkos moves to 5 PM from 10 AM...replacing repeat episodes of Maury (which still has first run episodes at noon). KTLA News at 2 is on the schedule again for this week so they will continue their new 3-hour block of news from 1-4 PM, at least this week.

Will the 2 p.m. newscast continue the week of 1/12? Advertisements on KTLA are now promoting Celebrity Name Game at 10 a.m. This will be the 5th timeslot. My uverse guide and zap2it listings still show it at 2 p.m. next week. Currently, Steve Wilkos airs at 10 a.m. Wonder will it go?

Looks like Celebrity Name Game was renewed for Season 2. Tribune Stations have picked up the show for next season.

KTLA no longer airs the news at 2:00 p.m. and does air CNG with @CraigyFerg at 10:00 a.m. - Maury has taken over at 2:00 p.m.

Archived