New Raycom weather graphics

nhmediaguy

I'm from the Youngstown market but I can tell you why WOIO slipped.

*CBS not being dominant some nights as it used to

*WJW starting a 4pm news to battle WOIO

*Action News being neutered

Those are my thoughts. Maybe Myron Falwell could add a few more.

The hiring of Romona Robinson was by and large the biggest factor of all.

Romona was the de facto replacement for Sharon Reed, whose departure from the station gradually turned ugly (in the rumors that emerged shortly afterward; she was never brought back after maternity leave). Romona's reporting and anchoring style is completely different from what Action News had generally been, and it necessitated the toning down of Action News to the risk of total neutering.

On a more serious note, why would Raycrap ditch Action News, which has built up a brand equity since 2002? Sure, 19 Action News has it's bouts of infamy but like a poster said earlier, it has been one of the most successful post-1994 big-3 affiliates on record.

It has been, and I concur completely. But with both Bill Applegate and Dan Salamone gone, there's really no one left who would defend keeping the name. And the brand equity cuts both ways when taking an aggressive format like what Applegate initially implemented.

Looks like we are going to have another WBBM on our hands.

And you know who was the last GM to experience any success at WBBM whatsoever?

Bill Applegate.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WTOL uses both the "WTOL 11 News" and "Toledo News Now" branding for their newscasts. So it wouldn't be out of the question to see WOIO use both "CBS 19 News" and "Cleveland News Now" branding.

what about WUAB? Is 43 going to brand it's news as "CBS 19 News on my43" or "my43 News, Powered by Cleveland News Now?

WOIO/WUAB is about to go full circle....back to the days when the switch was just thrown....

Romona Robinson was a charter member of WUAB's news effort when they launched "The Ten O'Clock News" in 1998 1988, lasting until 1997 when she left for WKYC.

When she got too expensive for WKYC, WOIO made room for her "return" alongside Denise Dufala.

I had mentioned this in the "Out and About" section, I just hope Raycom is ready to make something of these stations. They were caught with their pants down when they did the standard-issue Raycom look and paired it with the "Hometeam" brand when WOIO and WUAB had the telecasts for ALL of Cleveland's sports teams (WOIO for the Browns via CBS; and WUAB carrying the Cavs and Indians) Ratings went nowhere, and when the Indians bolted for cable in 2001, WUAB has never recovered. It was only when Bill Applegate and Company instituted the desperate and drastic changes that made WOIO a factor.

13 years later, WOIO has also made some gains, mostly at WEWS' expense, as they were the first station to dip below WOIO in some time slots. And based on Scripps' desire to inbreed their own syndication programming, Wheel and Jeopardy have made their new home on WOIO. It's really the last opportunity to create a true "local" newscast for Cleveland, as WKYC and WEWS have become clones of their parent companies, and WJW is stuck in 2007 from the days when FOX owned them (for now).....

Just had to pass along this gem from WLBT. What were they ...

I'd say this would go under the category or "Just because you can doesn't mean you should." It seems like a lot of stations have been doing this circular affect with the weather graphics lately. I suppose if they have a big enough chroma key they can show the meteorologists entire body on screen making it look like they are standing against a curved wall. Off the top of my head I can think of two stations that have gone this route, WCAU and WPLG.

I think if they didn't distort the tower cam they could have actually pulled this look off. I'd like to know what their other graphics look like.

Still wondering what package WVUE would ultimately end up using.

Anything is better than what they have now..

WVUE is using the same (in-house or GO-designed?) graphics that WEWS used from 2007 to 2009. The news opens are nearly identical to each other.

WVUE is using the same (in-house or GO-designed?) graphics that WEWS used from 2007 to 2009. The news opens are nearly identical to each other.

The WEWS/WVUE (and WTVA) package was designed by EQ Design

http://www.eqdesign.com/new_gallery_01.htm

Scroll through the samples...they even did the previous WWL look, as well as the 2001 WKYC package.

As for WVUE, as long as Tom Benson owns them, it's always going to have it's own flavor to it. Raycom is just tasked with running the station...an SSA in it's truest form.

The WEWS/WVUE (and WTVA) package was designed by EQ Design

http://www.eqdesign.com/new_gallery_01.htm

Scroll through the samples...they even did the previous WWL look, as well as the 2001 WKYC package.

As for WVUE, as long as Tom Benson owns them, it's always going to have it's own flavor to it. Raycom is just tasked with running the station...an SSA in it's truest form.

I have seen some elements of Raycom seep into WVUE though. Watch the end of the newscast and they use the same end credits as other Raycom stations have been using. It's ultimately going to have the same look as the other Raycom stations, it's just a matter of which look it'll have.

As far as the WECT graphics are concerned, WECT is now using Livestream to stream their newscasts so now you can see the new graphics in action.

http://www.wect.com/category/292100/livestream

It appears that the transition to the new graphics is occurring at WXIX (FOX 19 Cincinnati). They've debuted a new logo and website design as well as weather graphics have been switched over, but I'm not sure about anything else. Also, a meteorologist at WAVE mentioned in a video blog that they were doing some "upgrades", so I'm assuming a graphics upgrade is what he's talking about.

Archived