Could Today beat GMA in 2015?

BehindNYNews

Just saying, I called this a year ago and got shut down multiple times by people here (and in other threads) saying that I was over-reacting. Look where we are now... just saying. :p

With the current trend that won't happen for a few more years.

You are right, but they are making huge stride. They are making bigger stride then they anticipated.

You are right, but they are making huge stride. They are making bigger stride then they anticipated.

CBS certainly is making strides that nobody could have foreseen.

As for ABC/NBC - Good Morning America needs to do something fast otherwise they'll end up in #2 before NBC airs the Summer Olympics.

CBS certainly is making strides that nobody could have foreseen.

As for ABC/NBC - Good Morning America needs to do something fast otherwise they'll end up in #2 before NBC airs the Summer Olympics.

That's a good point because if Today gets back on top before the Summer Olympics, their lead will stick. And even if Today doesn't get on top of GMA before the Olympics, the Rio games may be just what they need to edge back on top.

That's a good point because if Today gets back on top before the Summer Olympics, their lead will stick. And even if Today doesn't get on top of GMA before the Olympics, the Rio games may be just what they need to edge back on top.

Don't forget, London and Sochi only gave Today a little bump, not a permanent take back of first place.

Yes but the Today Show was in bad condition during both of those. They are doing very well right now and the olympics are only going to help them.

Exactly.

If the Olympics were held today, NBC would flat out win and retain the momentum. When NBC last aired the Olympics, TODAY won the weeks but GMA even beat it on some days. That just won't happen now. GMA used to have a 1 million+ lead on TODAY and that's dwindled to just a 200K - 300K lead in total viewers and they've sunk back to #2 in the demo.

I really do like Ginger Zee and Amy Robach but GMA was at its prime with Josh Elliot and Sam Champion and the big ensemble "cast" you would see at the start of each morning. They kind of lost their way after Josh and Sam left and then let Lara and "Pop News" takeover the show before refocusing on news this fall.

Here's a good analysis from FOX:

The search is on for those missing viewers, many of whom ABC executives suspect have turned off morning television altogether, and for ways to lure them back.

The "Good Morning America" typical daily audience is 4.9 million, or 11 percent smaller than last season, the Nielsen company said. Among 25-to-54-year-olds, the decline is 19 percent. "Today" now leads among that group not because it is surging — the NBC show is down 4 percent from last year — but because it is losing audience more slowly. The demo number is the key to a vault, since advertisers check it first when making spending decisions.

I honestly didn't mind when Sam left, I think Ginger is better but I think when Josh left, that is when things went bad. I love Amy and think she is great but Josh just really solidified the team. Josh really just had the perfect mix of serious and fun where as George now being the only regular male is more serious and I think they benefited from having both George and Josh.

I don't know if or how they could but GMA should really try to get Josh back and find a new role for Amy.

I still think they should've (at some point, not sure when) brought Josh back and installed Amy as weekend WNT anchor and David (and maybe Robin's) main back-up. That way, they'd have "the old gang" back together in the morning, and a WAAAAAAY more competent weekend anchor.

I think they'll bring Josh back but I'm not sure under what capacity. Maybe he's shared along with ESPN and serves as a sports correspondent & they bring back Play of the Day. Maybe he can also take over George's spot on Fridays to give him some rest

I still think they should've (at some point, not sure when) brought Josh back and installed Amy as weekend WNT anchor and David (and maybe Robin's) main back-up. That way, they'd have "the old gang" back together in the morning, and a WAAAAAAY more competent weekend anchor.

That being said, I think Cecilia Vega and especially Tom Llamas have grown tremendously in their roles since being installed as weekend anchors.

Archived