Could Today beat GMA in 2015?

BehindNYNews

Could 2015 be the year Today takes back morning dominance?

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/morning-show-ratings-week-of-december-22-and-q4-2014_b250458

Last week (i'll be it, it was a holiday week) Today won in the key demo and was only 78k viewers away from beating GMA. I'm sure we'll see GMA scrambling this week, doing everything it can to stay on top. What are your thoughts?

**It should be noted, ratings for the week are based on only two days.

Could 2015 be the year Today takes back morning dominance?

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/morning-show-ratings-week-of-december-22-and-q4-2014_b250458

Last week (i'll be it, it was a holiday week) Today won in the key demo and was only 78k viewers away from beating GMA. I'm sure we'll see GMA scrambling this week, doing everything it can to stay on top. What are your thoughts?

**It should be noted, ratings for the week are based on only two days.

Not much sample and I have real trouble seeing them scrambling based on the holiday week.... If it goes on for a month or two....

Maybe ABC didn't have a good anchor team over Xmas. Who knows? CBS still a distant third. There morning newscast is good quality, but, nobody wants to wake up to slow and original while everybody else does live reports outside and their newscasts are fast paced. I do really like CBS's Eyeopener segment though.

It seems to have been going in that direction for a little while now...Its hard to tell if Today will surpass GMA but it does seems that the ratings might be closer in 2015 as The Today show finds its groove after loosing it for the last couple of years. Both show are very strong and competitive and the ratings are showing that.

I believe that the bleeding of Today's viewers stopped a while ago, it just might not have appeared so because when showed the weekly numbers, GMA might have been up over the same week last year while Today was down, a factor that is constantly fluctuating.

As to what Today might be doing, no idea. Don't watch any of the 3 morning shows or any morning news at all for that matter. It could be that people are finally warming up to the Today crew, or maybe they've toned stuff down a little bit and have taken a slightly more serious tone. Perhaps Today hasn't done much at all? Perhaps some viewers have gotten tired of, what I personally believe to be, GMA's tabloid-like format even when reporting serious news so they're tuning back in to Today.

Let's see where things are at the end of February sweeps before we really start to ponder the possibility of a Today resurgence.

It's fairly inaccurate to say that Today is closing in on GMA in terms of total viewers... If you look at the history of quarter ratings over the past two years, it has often fluctuated like this... ratings for Q4 2014 were GMA 5.536M vs Today 4.889M ... Q4 2013 were GMA 5.690M vs Today 4.975M.

Even in terms of ratings in the 25-54 demo, GMA has remained pretty consistent across the quarterly ratings... Maintaining a 150k-200k lead over Today.

Weekly ratings cannot be used to discern "trends," you have to rely on quarterlies.

Fair enough, let's say it's not a trend. There have been a few weeks recently however that Today has done rather well. This week was obviously a very good week for them. So I guess my question for everyone is, how do you think 2015 will go? Will we see Today win at some point this year?

I don't think its out of the realm of possibilities. Now I don't think they're gonna go another 16 years as #1, but I think we could see Today take a week or two.

I believe that the bleeding of Today's viewers stopped a while ago, it just might not have appeared so because when showed the weekly numbers, GMA might have been up over the same week last year while Today was down, a factor that is constantly fluctuating.

As to what Today might be doing, no idea. Don't watch any of the 3 morning shows or any morning news at all for that matter. It could be that people are finally warming up to the Today crew, or maybe they've toned stuff down a little bit and have taken a slightly more serious tone. Perhaps Today hasn't done much at all? Perhaps some viewers have gotten tired of, what I personally believe to be, GMA's tabloid-like format even when reporting serious news so they're tuning back in to Today.

Let's see where things are at the end of February sweeps before we really start to ponder the possibility of a Today resurgence.

David Zurawik stated that GMA has "gone beyond tabloid" where everything is SHOCKING.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/like-the-worst-local-news-in-america-critic-says-gma-has-gone-beyond-tabloid_b250407

GMA is a bit tabloidy but I think people are making this something bigger than it really is. We are so use to Today being number one that when a shift happened, some did not know how to handle it. I think it was good for Today to become second so whenever they become number one again, they will appreciated more. I am one of the unpopular few who want a shake-up at Today. I think Matt, Al, and Natalie need to leave because in my opinion, they become a bit stale. I never warmed up to Savannah even when she was the 3rd hour co-host and really seeing her in another format than what she is doing now. Even though I want them to change Today it is highly unlikely. The Bosses love Matt when I been saying for about 6-7 years he was turning into a egotistic maniac and that when I ultimately stopped watching Today way before the Ann fiasco.

David Zurawik stated that GMA has "gone beyond tabloid" where everything is SHOCKING.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/like-the-worst-local-news-in-america-critic-says-gma-has-gone-beyond-tabloid_b250407

Their graphics alone scream tabloid. I find myself unable to watch GMA simply because their graphics are way too flashy and in my face. It's something I'd expect on Entertainment Tonight, not on ABC's flagship news program.

Granted Today has its tabloid-y moments, and I hate them just as much as well, but they seem to have toned things down just a little bit. I don't believe Today will overcome GMA for the #1 spot again, but they'll certainly narrow the gap some. I predict a harder news approach coming from NBC.

Their graphics alone scream tabloid. I find myself unable to watch GMA simply because their graphics are way too flashy and in my face. It's something I'd expect on Entertainment Tonight, not on ABC's flagship news program.

Granted Today has its tabloid-y moments, and I hate them just as much as well, but they seem to have toned things down just a little bit. I don't believe Today will overcome GMA for the #1 spot again, but they'll certainly narrow the gap some. I predict a harder news approach coming from NBC.

GMA's graphics remind me of the first Scripps package, at least with the ribbon design. I suppose it's good they aren't copper. They are still lousy.

GMA's graphics remind me of the first Scripps package, at least with the ribbon design. I suppose it's good they aren't copper. They are still lousy.

The problem I have with their graphics is that they insist designing them akin to their ABC SuperSign, which consists of nine curved ticker ribbons and the jumbotron. The standard lower thirds don't necessarily bother me, but rather it's the ticker that they run underneath it which looks like it was a complete afterthought. If I recall correctly the networks national news ticker uses a navy background which does not appear in their color scheme other than in their opening. In an ideal world they would have designed their ticker to include the "bend" that acts as a left margin in the regular lower third. Unfortunately the equipment that the networks mandate stations to use that insert the local logos, station identification, time/temperature and tickers when triggered by the network during network programming aren't that powerful.

For those of you who would like to know the technical capabilities of the machine that inserts the ticker keep reading. I'm not sure what system ABC uses, but EVERTZ's HD9725LGA is used by NBC and CBS under the brand names NameDropper HD and LYDIA respectively. From what I understand this box isn't that advanced compared to a Chyron or VizRT unit but can do basic functions like keying up to 16 logos with some animation onto the video, handle EAS alerts, SNIPEs and run a ticker that includes the time/temp. The logos and animations on the machine are pre rendered using standard image and video formats (like TIFF, JPEG and .MOV) and are converted into a proprietary format .EVL. The only thing that is live/dynamic is the ticker which gets their headlines either through ENPS or a simple .TXT file where a new line causes the stations logo to appear between headlines. The machine gets the correct time from the facility and the temperature is measured via a sensor.

Naturally the local station can use their own interface to insert their ticker but it has to be locally controlled at the station. The downside of this is that when the network stops triggering the ticker, like during weather reports or commercial breaks, you see stray text that often isn't readable because the constant background is gone.

• 6 months later...

It's late in July, perhaps the worst time of year for all of television. Could this ratings trend continue? Sure, but I don't think it's really cause for alarm. Let's see how things settle out come September.

Even the music they use screams "TABLOID, TABLOID, TABLOID!!!", which is why I'd rather watch the Today Show on NBC 5 here in DFW and the other NBC 5 in Chicagoland (or WGN morning news) if I visit there than the overly tabloid GMA.

Even the music they use screams "TABLOID, TABLOID, TABLOID!!!", which is why I'd rather watch the Today Show on NBC 5 here in DFW and the other NBC 5 in Chicagoland (or WGN morning news) if I visit there than the overly tabloid GMA.

And I stay away from all that flash and stick with the newly-reborn CBS News, which actually tells you stuff, as well as the PBS NewsHour, which takes the time to examine issues with both sides.

And I stay away from all that flash and stick with the newly-reborn CBS News, which actually tells you stuff, as well as the PBS NewsHour, which takes the time to examine issues with both sides.

I wouldn't be surprised of CBSTM is suddenly #2 by the end of this year or sometime next. They're a sleeping giant that both NBC and ABC seem to be ignoring.

I wouldn't be surprised of CBSTM is suddenly #2 by the end of this year or sometime next. They're a sleeping giant that both NBC and ABC seem to be ignoring.

The thing that keeps CBSTM in the hunt is the stability compared to the other two. You have too much poaching of talent at Today and GMA that people have doubts about liking them, whereas CBS has big names but can be taken seriously.

• 4 months later...

Just saying, I called this a year ago and got shut down multiple times by people here (and in other threads) saying that I was over-reacting. Look where we are now... just saying. :p

I would be so happy if CBS This Morning surpasses Today show.

With the current trend that won't happen for a few more years.

Archived