KTVI getting a new set?

Mrtraveler01

There's something definitely going on. At first I thought they may be replacing some of the old monitors with new flat panels. But after letting the page auto refresh I realized that the webcam has been taken offline as the same image is still there. I'm not sure if you saw the same image that I'm seeing right now but there are three men working with the desk off its riser and nine CRT monitors in its place. I'd wish they would have a time stamped the image, that way we'd have a time frame for how long they've been this has been going on.

I hope this means an identity/graphical revamp for KTVI - along the lines of KDVR - is afoot.

Also notable in that KTVI appears to be ditching the Fox O&O standardized set completely. Both KTVI and WJW had such sets constructed by Fox prior to the LocalTV sale.

KTVI and KPLR will have a common set. They've had the previous set for eight years. It moved from the old building when the stations combined operations, i think.

The whole Fox O&O standardized set was dismantled and reconstructed almost to a T when the move to KPLR took place. A "history of the KTVI studios" special they aired in place of newscasts during the move dramatized this (it should be on YouTube somewhere).

EDIT: KTVI confirmed this both on-air and their website. The Fox O&O standardized set was donated to a local school district for repurposing. The KPLR set was also dismantled and will be a combined weather center for KTVI/KPLR.

WJW is due for an upgrade. Their set dates back to 2007, and their previous sets have had VERY long runs (from 1985-1996 and from 1996-2007) with minor cosmetic upgrades.

Aside from KTVI, WJW is probably the last former O&O to still look like one, aside from their side-projects which all have looks of their own.

...and interestingly enough, the last time WJW had a weather center ON SET was on the 1985 set. It's since been away from the studio since the subsequent upgrades.

I wonder if Dick Goddard has anything to do with this....

WJW is due for an upgrade. Their set dates back to 2007, and their previous sets have had VERY long runs (from 1985-1996 and from 1996-2007) with minor cosmetic upgrades.

Aside from KTVI, WJW is probably the last former O&O to still look like one, aside from their side-projects which all have looks of their own.

KSTU still uses the second-generation Fox O&O graphics package, aside from a few modifications. That they got the package years after the sale to LocalTV was impressive.

To WJW's credit, they use their sets for a LONG time - three different sets in 30 years is a good track record. They might be next on Tribune's list for a new set, as WGHP, KDVR/KWGN, WDAF and WITI all have fairly recent sets.

It also could be why Tribune hasn't done any graphics unification with the LocalTV stations yet. Especially when the current Tribune Fox package, the KDVR package, or the KTLA package could easily be used groupwide.

...and interestingly enough, the last time WJW had a weather center ON SET was on the 1985 set. It's since been away from the studio since the subsequent upgrades.

I wonder if Dick Goddard has anything to do with this....

WJW's current weather center dates back to 1996, and was redressed somewhat to be compatible with the current set. The weather graphics even were an artifact from WJW's 2002 graphics package until the weather equipment was upgraded over a year ago.

Heck, Dick is probably the last remaining active meterologist to still give only five-day forecasts, and even then, he refused to do so for the longest time - his limit up until the late 90s was three-day forecasts. Everyone else at WJW gives eight-day forecasts (Dick once said that this is "because we're Fox 8... thank goodness we're not Channel 19").

I hope this means an identity/graphical revamp for KTVI - along the lines of KDVR - is afoot.

Also notable in that KTVI appears to be ditching the Fox O&O standardized set completely. Both KTVI and WJW had such sets constructed by Fox prior to the LocalTV sale.

The whole Fox O&O standardized set was dismantled and reconstructed almost to a T when the move to KPLR took place. A "history of the KTVI studios" special they aired in place of newscasts during the move dramatized this (it should be on YouTube somewhere).

EDIT: KTVI confirmed this both on-air and their website. The Fox O&O standardized set was donated to a local school district for repurposing. The KPLR set was also dismantled and will be a combined weather center for KTVI/KPLR.

You could get a rough idea of what it's going to look like with that rough drawing they showed and it looks like it does involve a lot of monitors. I wonder if it'll be fairly similar to what stations like WXIN have?

Studio looks kind of small? Maybe it's not, however it's weird that it's not a square or rectangle shape due to that corner where the blueprint was hanging having a jagged edge like there's a room by it. Seems like that would add a lot of space if part of the studio wasn't "cut off" like that.

• 2 weeks later...

KTVI has been rehearsing this past week.

Just saw a promo, they're launching their new studio Wednesday at 4am.

Looks like there will be a new logo (the "2" is fat again like it was before the Fox O&O standardization kicked in.)

It also looks like they're deviating from the graphic package the other Tribune Fox stations are getting. And based on the promo they're going to use the music package the Fox O&Os are currently using.

The graphics didn't look like any template I had seen.

You'll have to imagine the lower third with a bug. There is also a blue version for KPLR.

ktvi6_zpse98b081f.jpg

ktvi2_zpseb1cbeec.jpg

Hmm.

On the plus side, it looks like a total break from the Fox standardized look. Simple, clean and not totally intrusive. And I can make out some elements of the Tribune Fox package, but it doesn't feel like an in-house job done with minimal resources.

Hopefully they will scrap the O&O music tomorrow morning.

Hopefully they will scrap the O&O music tomorrow morning.

Prepare to be disappointed.

All the promos I've seen on KTVI today have the new package but are using newer cuts of the O&O package that I haven't heard on KTVI before. I have a feeling that the O&O package is here to stay at least musically.

I don't have a capture card but I'll try to upload pics I've taken of the promos later on tonight.

Prepare to be disappointed.

All the promos I've seen on KTVI today have the new package but are using newer cuts of the O&O package that I haven't heard on KTVI before. I have a feeling that the O&O package is here to stay at least musically.

I don't have a capture card but I'll try to upload pics I've taken of the promos later on tonight.

Bah! Well, I hope they aren't going cheap with the new logo.

The new set launched at 4AM. A few thoughts as I watch the newscast:

The set looks very nice especially by St. Louis standards. The video wall is being used for weather just like the other Tribune stations with a similar set. The disappointing part are the graphics, they just seem kind of meh to me compared to other Tribune stations (I really think these are in-house). I think I'll adjust to them over time but compared to the packages that other Tribune stations have gotten, this is pretty underwhelming.

You can check out the new set and graphics on the stream.

http://fox2now.com/on-air/live-streaming/

Here is an example of what the graphics look like on the air here in St. Louis.

KTVI_3-OaQRiIL7.1422440832.jpg

Nice to see the old "2" again. It's been too long. As for the other elements, they are a bit underwhelming, but that might be for the best. While KMOV is focusing on hype and flash, KTVI is focusing on the meat and potatoes of journalism...the news.

Archived