TXCN to shut down

broadcastfan9751

Belo's folly (and arguably the reason Belo traded to get KVUE in the first place—it needed Austin to support TXCN) is wound down at long last. The problem Gannett faced is that integrating the smaller market stations into TXCN would have made for a too many cooks case, and neither did TXCN in the internet age.

I seriously wonder about the future of NWCN and WWL's "Newswatch 15" with this one.

That's a damn shame. I actually thought Gannett would invest in TXCN and relaunch it from the ground up.

So did I. I mean, with an 80% market reach in Texas alone, it seems like a missed opportunity for Gannett to not have some type of statewide collaboration.

Belo's folly (and arguably the reason Belo traded to get KVUE in the first place—it needed Austin to support TXCN) is wound down at long last. The problem Gannett faced is that integrating the smaller market stations into TXCN would have made for a too many cooks case, and neither did TXCN in the internet age.

I seriously wonder about the future of NWCN and WWL's "Newswatch 15" with this one.

I think NWCN is safe in comparison to TXCN. NWCN's operation is better funded, with actual meteorologists and anchors who are dedicated to the network, whereas TXCN was simply rehashing the newscasts of the ex-Belos. Newswatch is probably more apt to being terminated by Gannett, as it is just a simulcast/rebroadcast outlet for WWL.

NWCN is safe.

Maybe its all for the best, TXCN will be cease operations, but soon and I do mean soon; Gannett will have to launch a new regional cable news channel for Texas.

With TXCN shutting down, there's no way that's happening anytime soon. Since 24/7 is now Idaho's Very Own 24/7 and offers more entertainment than news as well as NewsWatch 15 becoming WWL's rebroadcast outlet, the ONLY real news channel that Gannett has ever had and that will have left is Northwest Cable News - NWCN and I know that Gannett will be committed to that one, since its the only one we've seen so far that produces news and has the Gannett look and music.

I would think NewsWatch 15 would be safe. I mean it shouldn't cost that much extra to operate since it just re airs WWL news broadcasts.

And if I recall, its a joint venture between WWL and Cox Communications. Cox uses the channel as a platform to sell local advertising and it probably costs very little to operate.

And if I recall, its a joint venture between WWL and Cox Communications. Cox uses the channel as a platform to sell local advertising and it probably costs very little to operate.

Do people even watch it though? I mean we now have stations (on the WorldNow platform) that do the same thing (repeat the last newscast aired) but without a cable channel or the Internet.

Gannett could replace TXCN with a dedicated statewide news website, mobile app, apps for the Roku, Apple TV, etc.

How about a statewide newspaper online like Florida Today is for Florida (which is also owned by Gannett)?

According to WFAA, Gannett is shutting down Texas Cable News (TXCN), the cable news channel that broadcasts news from Gannett's texas stations, including WFAA, KHOU, KENS, and KVUE. TXCN will sign off on April 1st.

Maybe it's all just an April Fools' Day joke...heh heh. TXCN will fade to black for a few seconds, then come back on with a laughing anchor and smiling faces!

NWCN is certainly safe. I'm not so sure about Newswatch 15. Is it similar to KTVK's Arizona NewsChannel?

NWCN is certainly safe. I'm not so sure about Newswatch 15. Is it similar to KTVK's Arizona NewsChannel?

I believe so. And speaking of that, that's another abomination that serves no useful purpose. It's still in SD, for crying out loud. But it's not Belo's creation (I believe it was created when MAC America still owned the station) and it's not Gannett's problem.

When KTVK moves to WorldNow and gets a website like KPHO, it will also become totally redundant to the web feed. Several years ago it was kicked from channel 14 to 82 on Cox, in the same range as digital subchannels.

Under the combined KTVK/KPHO plan, Seth Parker (KPHO) has control of this section of the business — which also includes KPHO's equally useless weather subchannel.

How about a statewide newspaper online like Florida Today is for Florida (which is also owned by Gannett)?

Florida Today isn't a statewide newspaper though, it's the daily paper for the Melbourne area. And we sorta have that already with Texas Tribune, which yes focuses mostly on state politics and Austin but they've delved into some news from other areas before.

Florida Today isn't a statewide newspaper though, it's the daily paper for the Melbourne area. And we sorta have that already with Texas Tribune, which yes focuses mostly on state politics and Austin but they've delved into some news from other areas before.

But The Texas Tribune isn't exactly statewide either. Close, but it doesn't cover many events aside from Texas politics. Which is why I still think there should be a statewide newspaper website that covers a vast array of news, topics, etc. here in Texas which shall replace TXCN.

As someone who lives in Ohio and watched ONN, let me tell you there is nothing more boring than a statewide news channel. Unless there is a second coming of Jeffrey Dahmer, nobody in Cincinnati cares about anything in Akron. And unless another Ariel Castro comes along, nobody in Portsmouth cares about anything in Cleveland except if maybe the Browns start winning again or the Mafia starts putting bombs in union leaders' cars again.

I would imagine you had much the same thing going on in Texas.

Statewide sports works. 24 hour statewide news? zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

For a channel like that to have any appeal, I would say the only way to do so would be to focus on small-Town Texas and skip the big cities. Farm reports, high school and college sports and state news --- things that appeal to people in small towns --- with a studio presence in one or more of those small towns. Make full use of small town radio talent, too.

As someone who lives in Ohio and watched ONN, let me tell you there is nothing more boring than a statewide news channel. Unless there is a second coming of Jeffrey Dahmer, nobody in Cincinnati cares about anything in Akron. And unless another Ariel Castro comes along, nobody in Portsmouth cares about anything in Cleveland except if maybe the Browns start winning again or the Mafia starts putting bombs in union leaders' cars again.

I would imagine you had much the same thing going on in Texas.

Statewide sports works. 24 hour statewide news? zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

For a channel like that to have any appeal, I would say the only way to do so would be to focus on small-Town Texas and skip the big cities. Farm reports, high school and college sports and state news --- things that appeal to people in small towns --- with a studio presence in one or more of those small towns. Make full use of small town radio talent, too.

like middle school girls volleyball games? that's why they fill for sports in the microscopic markets

Archived