Will Lilly/SJL sell off WICU/WSEE?

Brain

Do you think Lilly/SJL will be able to sell of WICU/WSEE even if they wanted too, because of bad local market conditions? Nexstar isn't too far behind with their WJET/WFXP duopoly. I may be romanticizing about how these stations *used* to be, but in the past decades, WICU/WSEE had their production value decline.

Do you think the Erie market at some point significantly "shrank" over time, assuming they were once a larger market compared to today? What can be done about this market and it's stations? Will the two duopolies be able to survive without being operated on a shoestring budget?

Do you think Lilly/SJL will be able to sell of WICU/WSEE even if they wanted too, because of bad local market conditions? Nexstar isn't too far behind with their WJET/WFXP duopoly. I may be romanticizing about how these stations *used* to be, but in the past decades, WICU/WSEE had their production value decline.

Do you think the Erie market at some point significantly "shrank" over time, assuming they were once a larger market compared to today? What can be done about this market and it's stations? Will the two duopolies be able to survive without being operated on a shoestring budget?

This is a Rust Belt market. Look at Youngstown. The market was once much larger than it was, and massive economic changes have left it being very different.

I would expect them to sell, and Gray certainly is a pretty good fit for this sort of station.

Could someone move this thread to Speculatron 9000?

I don't know if Gray interested, as they only take WTVG/WJRT.

Interesting case however-WSEE no only serve Erie, but also Puerto Rico cable as they didn't have OTA affiliate.

All I understand is that years ago, Erie was DMA #142, but now it moved down a few areas. I think Erie's too distressed as a market to survive in the long run. The rust belt sucks.

I never said WJET isn't number 1. Erie, whether it's TV/radio market or the area in general, had more talented people. At least we are front for stations in the London/Toronto or other Canadian markets.

Unfortunately, because of the consequences, I think Erie and Youngstown markets were completely destroyed over the past decades with no hope of coming back. Stupid trend. Now we're caught in a trap we can't get out of. This year, Erie could fall below 100k people within the city.

SJL could cash out one of their stations in the upcoming auction and with the limited radius of Erie itself, sandwiched between Buffalo and Cleveland, the other station could move to low power, making it a prime takeover candidate for Nexstar. But is Erie so distressed that it could become the next Lima, Ohio?

I second @LTSC1980's motion to move this thread to the Speculatron. I also think that if we're talking about WICU/WSEE we should also be talking about WENY in Elmira as well. I would have to think Sinclair would be interested in both cases. Erie is the only PA market outside of Philly where Sinclair doesn't own or operate a station (that includes the complicated arrangement going on with WOLF). And as for WICU and WSEE splitting up, as @seangfx previously stated, the economic state of the market doesn't easily allow for that to happen IMO. I think the most likely scenario is WICU being spun off to some small station owner (just like Gray did in Fargo with KXJB) and NBC moving to a sub-channel of WSEE. Or could we have another WCIV-esque situation on our hands?

I would want WICU to be bought by Hearst or Gannett and WSEE to be bought by CBS. That's never going to happen.

I see WICU bought by either Sinclair Broadcast Group or Raycom Media and WSEE bought by Gray Television.

I wonder why WENY and WICU/WSEE weren't included in the deal to Gray. Maybe Lilly wanted to sell them to Gray, but Gray didn't want them. I'm not so sure about the Erie stations, but I have visited family in the Elmira area many times and on top of WENY being an also ran, the market is very small and isn't necessarily thriving. I could see it being tough to find a buyer for them.

I wonder why WENY and WICU/WSEE weren't included in the deal to Gray. Maybe Lilly wanted to sell them to Gray, but Gray didn't want them. I'm not so sure about the Erie stations, but I have visited family in the Elmira area many times and on top of WENY being an also ran, the market is very small and isn't necessarily thriving. I could see it being tough to find a buyer for them.

Or it could've been that SJL wanted to sell the whole group to Sinclair but couldn't unload WJRT and WTVG to them (for obvious reasons).

I don't think I could blame Gray if they refused to buy WICU/WSEE.

And even for S!nclair, what would the ROI be for buying WICU/WSEE? Buying the entire Lilly/SJL group wouldn't have been out of the question for them; WNWO (and even WUPW) has been spun off before when their previous owners wanted to trade up. But just WICU/WSEE... it makes no sense from any practical standpoint, regardless of the buyer.

Just my opinion.

The same factors came into play when Benedek sold to Gray. They had good reasons to pass on WYTV, WTRF and KDLH, as WTRF would be folded into West Virginia Media, and both WYTV and KDLH would be some of the first stations to enter into shared service agreements with a competitor.

Since Erie soon followed with the WICU/WSEE deal, it goes to show that these are distressed markets where independent ownership is very difficult, and may no longer be possible given the market size and condition.

And when the auction begins, Nexstar could sell off WFXP's facility and merge them on to WJET. If WICU and WSEE become low-powered operations (on a shared channel) should SJL sell off a full-power station, then what's stopping Nexstar from buying them too?

Given Erie's location sandwiched between Cleveland and Buffalo, the spectrum may be far more valuable for either market than for Erie itself.

SJL didn't want to flip the stations in Elmira and Erie. They bought back WJRT and WTVG specifically to sell them off in a few years.

Honestly, I see market mergers happening moreso than markets disappearing. Hell, I could see an Erie-Youngstown merger happening. WJET on the Erie side and WFMJ and WKBN on the Youngstown side.

From the "Potential future DMA mergers and breakups" thread:

BTW, I looked at the coverage maps, and the Youngstown stations don't reach Erie and the Erie stations don't reach Youngstown.

Archived