WCBS-CBS2 what went wrong?

Breaking News

I need someone who has the history or familiar of the New York market, so I've been on YouTube looking at WCBS-CBS2 News during many eras of it broadcasting. During the 80s and up to the mid 90s WCBS would go by Channel 2 News. WBBM, KCBS all seem to have the same look. However I found WCBS-Channel 2 News to be very refreshing, the news produced really well with a clear and crisp newscast.

By 1996 to the end of the 1990s into the early 2000s WCBS-Channel 2 had gone from a stellar newscast to crap with so many branding changes to 2 News, News 2, CBS 2 Information Network to CBS 2 and many anchor changes. The station had alot of iconic names on the anchor bench to; Jim Jensen, Rolland Smith, Michele Marsh, Carol Martin, Dana Tyler, Ernie Anastos, Mr G, Storm Field and his Dad Frank Field, Reggie Harris, even Diane Diamond, Jane Velez-Mitchell, Brian Williams and more.

During the early 80s into mid 1990s was WCBS-TV Channel 2 always in third place? Because there was a time they were on top and of WABC charged ahead and WNBC made gains as well. It just seem whoever came around into the late 90s just totally gutted what was built. I know Joel Cheatwood came in to shake things up, but what went wrong for the demise of WCBS-TV? Of course the 1996 massacre of many on-air talent of Michele Marsh, John Johnson, Bernie Smilovitz went back to Detroit and others. In NY #1 were some of these on-air talent were they raking in million dollars in their paychecks or more?

Please give me your take and here some videos on YouTube of the opening of WCBS-TV.. I'm loving the look of the station in the 80s thru the mid 90s. They sets they had were great during that era, the music is classic, the anchors are stellar and the presentation was top notch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u4S-07UxZs (1985)

(1990)

(1992)

(1992)

(1993)

(1993)

(1994)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q4AICdBZ0sv (1995)

The architect of the massacre was New Yorks favorite news director... Bill Carey... Who only had success at WXYZ, somehow he made that fire on all cylinders while not firing hardly anybody. He did the 96 firings (and installed his own folks including Stephen Clark) and the rest is history. He did poorly running WFTS in Tampa and PIX 11 too after his time here in Detroit.

Take a look at the history of KNXT/KCBS...KPIX...etc

Same problems....Same outcomes.

It's a CBS wide thing.

And it's unnecessary. I've long thought that the radio and television station divisions should merge. Let's get rid of some of the top-heavy management and return control to the local level.

New York has ruined some legacy stations -- both TV and radio -- with its micro-managing.

Judging from the 200+ layoffs at CBS radio in the last 2 weeks,..I bet the radio division is about to be sold off.

It's a shame when you consider the CBS radio is/was the cornerstone for the entire Tiffany network.

is Bill Carey the one who came up with that more news in less time format it came about in 1998 or later in 1997? i found a 2 news video from 1997 with the infamous Vince Demetri

Yes... He was there until 1999.

Judging from the 200+ layoffs at CBS radio in the last 2 weeks,..I bet the radio division is about to be sold off.

It's a shame when you consider the CBS radio is/was the cornerstone for the entire Tiffany network.

Problem is, there is no one that can afford the CBS Radio stations... at a price CBS will demand (that's the ONLY reason why CBS never has unloaded their four-station Cleveland cluster) or can make a clean purchase for the entire division. It's staying in CBS's hands for the long-term.

BTW, the "CBS Radio Network" no longer exists, and hasn't since 1997, when it was merged into WestwoodOne under Viacom management. "CBS Radio News" still exists as a news service run by the network, but Cumulus/WW1 sells advertising and handles all technical aspects for that.

Well they never did that much with WLNY, which is pretty much a repeat of the CBS2 News at 5pm. Pretty much threw LI under the bus. At least Fios 1 news has improved.

im suprise when they made the deal the fcc didn't order them to focus on LI, or in essence was the duopoly like with la's KCBS AND KCAL?

BTW, the "CBS Radio Network" no longer exists, and hasn't since 1997, when it was merged into WestwoodOne under Viacom management. "CBS Radio News" still exists as a news service run by the network, but Cumulus/WW1 sells advertising and handles all technical aspects for that.

I had never heard about the Cumulus connection to CBS Radio.

Can you elaborate or source that please?

I had never heard about the Cumulus connection to CBS Radio.

Can you elaborate or source that please?

It's a long and complex history.

In 1997, the combined Westinghouse Broadcasting and CBS, Inc. consolidated their radio holdings into two separate companies. The radio stations were combined under the Infinity Broadcasting name; Infinity being another radio chain Westinghouse/CBS purchased the previous year.

The radio network operations were combined in Westwood One, a platform distributor that already had the remains of two other radio networks - NBC Radio and Mutual - in their fold. Infinity had controlling interest in WW1. This didn't include CBS Radio News (although CBS personnel produced newscasts for "NBC" and "Mutual" as those brand names were being mercifully phased out) but "CBS Radio Sports" was merged into Westwood One Sports as early as 1997.

When CBS was merged into Viacom, WW1 fell under the Viacom umbrella, and remained in Viacom's scope following the 2005 CBS-Viacom split, which also saw Infinity Broadcasting renamed as "CBS Radio." Viacom slowly spun off WW1 into a separate company over the course of a few years, but CBS still had some management oversight of the network's operations. This included the sale of WW1's 24/7 satellite formats to DialGlobal, an amalgamation of different smaller syndicators that was controlled by the same people behind Townsquare Media (the former Regent Broadcasting). DialGlobal then turned around and bought all of Westwood One in 2010, retiring the name the first time.

In 2012, CBS teamed with Cumulus and "Cumulus Media Networks" (the erstwhile "ABC Radio Network" prior to its spin-off to Citadel Media and absorption into Cumulus) to launch CBS Sports Radio. Confusing as it sounds, that also resulted in CBS relinquishing whatever management oversight it still held over "The NFL on DialGlobal."

Following the fallout from Rush Limbaugh's infamous Sandra Fluke gaffe - which, despite being a Premiere Radio product, caused a hemorrhaging of ad revenue for talk radio product across the board - DialGlobal experienced major losses (and they weren't alone; Cumulus saw ratings for their talk radio stations plummet, and the WSJ Radio Network ultimately shuttered operations as their ads couldn't be cleared on affiliates which aired Rush) and offered to merge into Cumulus and Cumulus Media Networks under a revived "WestwoodOne" banner. (The merger also saw Cumulus and Townsquare trading about 50 stations and Townsquare merging into GAP Broadcasting.)

To this day, CBS Radio News is the only vestige of the original "CBS Radio Network" still in operation. Cumulus vis-a-vis WestwoodOne handles distribution and ad sales for the news service.

It's a long and complex history.

In 1997, the combined Westinghouse Broadcasting and CBS, Inc. consolidated their radio holdings into two separate companies. The radio stations were combined under the Infinity Broadcasting name; Infinity being another radio chain Westinghouse/CBS purchased the previous year.

The radio network operations were combined in Westwood One, a platform distributor that already had the remains of two other radio networks - NBC Radio and Mutual - in their fold. Infinity had controlling interest in WW1. This didn't include CBS Radio News (although CBS personnel produced newscasts for "NBC" and "Mutual" as those brand names were being mercifully phased out) but "CBS Radio Sports" was merged into Westwood One Sports as early as 1997.

When CBS was merged into Viacom, WW1 fell under the Viacom umbrella, and remained in Viacom's scope following the 2005 CBS-Viacom split, which also saw Infinity Broadcasting renamed as "CBS Radio." Viacom slowly spun off WW1 into a separate company over the course of a few years, but CBS still had some management oversight of the network's operations. This included the sale of WW1's 24/7 satellite formats to DialGlobal, an amalgamation of different smaller syndicators that was controlled by the same people behind Townsquare Media (the former Regent Broadcasting). DialGlobal then turned around and bought all of Westwood One in 2010, retiring the name the first time.

In 2012, CBS teamed with Cumulus and "Cumulus Media Networks" (the erstwhile "ABC Radio Network" prior to its spin-off to Citadel Media and absorption into Cumulus) to launch CBS Sports Radio. Confusing as it sounds, that also resulted in CBS relinquishing whatever management oversight it still held over "The NFL on DialGlobal."

Following the fallout from Rush Limbaugh's infamous Sandra Fluke gaffe - which, despite being a Premiere Radio product, caused a hemorrhaging of ad revenue for talk radio product across the board - DialGlobal experienced major losses (and they weren't alone; Cumulus saw ratings for their talk radio stations plummet, and the WSJ Radio Network ultimately shuttered operations as their ads couldn't be cleared on affiliates which aired Rush) and offered to merge into Cumulus and Cumulus Media Networks under a revived "WestwoodOne" banner. (The merger also saw Cumulus and Townsquare trading about 50 stations and Townsquare merging into GAP Broadcasting.)

To this day, CBS Radio News is the only vestige of the original "CBS Radio Network" still in operation. Cumulus vis-a-vis WestwoodOne handles distribution and ad sales for the news service.

Well that's dizzying..

So I guess the big question I have is does Cumulus have any direct control over the current CBS radio issues?

Did CBS realy kill KGO radio?

Anyone predicting Cumulus will buy the CBS radio stations?

Are we off topic yet?

Well that's dizzying..

So I guess the big question I have is does Cumulus have any direct control over the current CBS radio issues?

Did CBS realy kill KGO radio?

Anyone predicting Cumulus will buy the CBS radio stations?

Are we off topic yet?

No. Cumulus vis-a-vis WestwoodOne only handles distribution and ad sales for CBS Radio News and CBS Sports Radio, which is operated and administered by CBS Corporation. That's all they do.

No. Cumulus killed off KGO 810. CBS has nothing to do with the Dickey's miserly ways.

A clean purchase of CBS Radio by Cumulus is impossible. Too many divestitures in multiple major markets, and Cumulus can't afford it (they effectively took out the equivalent of a second mortgage to buy out WestwoodOne). The chances of that happening are slim to none, and slim is getting up and leaving town.

Possibly. :p

No. Cumulus vis-a-vis WestwoodOne only handles distribution and ad sales for CBS Radio News and CBS Sports Radio, which is operated and administered by CBS Corporation. That's all they do.

No. Cumulus killed off KGO 810. CBS has nothing to do with the Dickey's miserly ways.

A clean purchase of CBS Radio by Cumulus is impossible. Too many divestitures in multiple major markets, and Cumulus can't afford it (they effectively took out the equivalent of a second mortgage to buy out WestwoodOne). The chances of that happening are slim to none, and slim is getting up and leaving town.

Possibly. :p

Thanks Myron.

Now I get it.

In a way it's kinda funny how after almost 20 years, WCBS is still feeling the effect of the '96 massacre. When I was in school they even used this event as an example. One of my professors actually worked at WCBS at the time and told us how leading up to this he knew something big was going to happen but not of the magnitude Bill unfortunately did. The question I have is: If the massacre of '96 wouldn't have happen, do you think CBS 2 would have gotten to a place to become number 1 faster??

I feel that they had a really solid team at the time that could have really been a major force again just with some changes to how they display the news (content problems). I highly doubt that it was personnel. My second question is: Do you think a news director could have the authority to do something like that now? Why or Why not?

I still wish Michele Marsh was around. Can't believe she just disappeared after channel 4. I'd like to see what she looks like now but haven't seen/heard anything. Definitely think she was the biggest loss in '96.

In a way it's kinda funny how after almost 20 years, WCBS is still feeling the effect of the '96 massacre. When I was in school they even used this event as an example. One of my professors actually worked at WCBS at the time and told us how leading up to this he knew something big was going to happen but not of the magnitude Bill unfortunately did. The question I have is: If the massacre of '96 wouldn't have happen, do you think CBS 2 would have gotten to a place to become number 1 faster??

I feel that they had a really solid team at the time that could have really been a major force again just with some changes to how they display the news (content problems). I highly doubt that it was personnel. My second question is: Do you think a news director could have the authority to do something like that now? Why or Why not?

It all depends. Although I have not worked at a television station before, but I do get the gist. General Managers often do the overall look and feel for the station and its revenue, while the News Director does the hiring and firing of personnel, in addition to designing the overall look and feel of the newscasts. (That might explain why Joel Cheatwood was hailed as the architect for WSVN's "If it bleeds...it leads" mantra.) But with micromanagement from the Powers that Be, its more challenging, especially at CBS where everything is McDonald-ized. (Look, feel music, etc)

I stopped watching WCBS after the 1996 massacre. The firings could have happened for a variety of reasons. True, this is what CBS does. Also look at KCBS through

the years...Ann Martin, Linda Alvarez, Laura Diaz, Harold Greene, Michael Tuck, and it goes on. At WCBS, the firings were orchestrated by News Director Bill

Carey. They came five weeks after News Director Jerry Nachman was axed. He was responsible for hiring John Johnson as lead anchorman and gave the newscasts

their look and the 2News name (from Channel 2 News). There were also rumors that David Letterman was complaining about his ratings in New York being weak as

a result of a poor lead in from 2 News at 11. Firings seem to be the mo of Bill Carey. Look at what he did at WPIX several years ago. Bottom line, none of Carey's

'turnarounds" seem to succeed. The revamped News2 continued to struggle in the ratings and eventually he was let go. Same thing at WPIX. His new newscast

still struggled in the ratings.

I stopped watching WCBS after the 1996 massacre. The firings could have happened for a variety of reasons. True, this is what CBS does. Also look at KCBS through

the years...Ann Martin, Linda Alvarez, Laura Diaz, Harold Greene, Michael Tuck, and it goes on. At WCBS, the firings were orchestrated by News Director Bill

Carey. They came five weeks after News Director Jerry Nachman was axed. He was responsible for hiring John Johnson as lead anchorman and gave the newscasts

their look and the 2News name (from Channel 2 News). There were also rumors that David Letterman was complaining about his ratings in New York being weak as

a result of a poor lead in from 2 News at 11. Firings seem to be the mo of Bill Carey. Look at what he did at WPIX several years ago. Bottom line, none of Carey's

'turnarounds" seem to succeed. The revamped News2 continued to struggle in the ratings and eventually he was let go. Same thing at WPIX. His new newscast

still struggled in the ratings.

So my takeaway on this part of the topic is that Bill Carey should be barred from ANY Newsroom in North America, No? WCBS, WFTS, WPIX, you name it... Even a suggestion to return to 'XYZ should not take heed.

So my takeaway on this part of the topic is that Bill Carey should be barred from ANY Newsroom in North America, No? WCBS, WFTS, WPIX, you name it... Even a suggestion to return to 'XYZ should not take heed.

His assistant ND from the Carey era here is now revamping XYZ quite nicely at the moment... Bill Carey would be welcome back here anytime. Any of those other places... Yeah he sucked.

Ask yourself this...Did he succeed in making any of his newscasts number one? Or number two? Not at WCBS. Not at WPIX. Not at WFTS. Would you hire him? I would not. Too much ill will

and no gains. Not worth it. Hire a real professional that knows what he or she is doing. Like Karen Scott from WPIX.

Ask yourself this...Did he succeed in making any of his newscasts number one? Or number two? Not at WCBS. Not at WPIX. Not at WFTS. Would you hire him? I would not. Too much ill will

and no gains. Not worth it. Hire a real professional that knows what he or she is doing. Like Karen Scott from WPIX.

XYZ was brought into first so well that Scripps promoted Carey to run WFTS. That 1st place performance outlasted his tenure by 4 years. First place across the board from 2003-2008.

Archived